Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

This is something I've been curious about but can't find any real solid information on

'We don’t have enough' lithium globally to meet EV targets, mining CEO says

Wouldn't it make more sense to shoot for more hybrid vehicles than straight electric ones? Like I said, I'm rather ignorant on the subject

Allocation of batteries is certainly something that's going to be a problem but there are several ways around it and unfortunately speaks to car culture in general.

Consider two cars on the market at the moment - the Ford 150 Lightning truck and the Mini Electric. The Ford has ~150kWh battery and a claimed range of 320 miles. The Mini has a ~30kWh battery and claimed range of 145 miles

If the market is dominated by Minis then we're only going to need ~20-25% as much lithium as if it was dominated by Lightnings. The Mini designers are betting on a world where a relatively short range is sufficient for most people and that there is a robust charging network that can handle longer distance travel and that most drivers can charge where they park. But if we take this route and accept shorter nominal ranges ( And maybe work on rather improving charging speeds for longer distances ) then we're probably ok for lithium.

Hybrids have a lot of advantages but you end up using up a lot more space inside the car (as you've got two independent motors) and they can be more mechanically complex (again, two motors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
There's enough lithium dissolved in the oceans to last a long time. It just has to be economic to extract.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's also new magnesium/sodium EV batteries that they just invented that don't use Lithium.

Although, how long until those become common? No idea.

The lithium issue isn't as big of a deal as it seems. It's just the equivalent of oil for electronics - it's the first thing that worked really well, is the cheapest, and everything is centered around it. So, people are going to be reluctant to switch away from it until it has been proven and is cheaper.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hybrids also have the fairly serious disadvantage of still being ICE vehicles that produce emissions. If the ultimate goal is to tear down all the gas stations, it can't be hybrids

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

And to be realistic, so many privately owned cars and an infrastructure completely and utterly dedicated to it seems like more of a problem than whether we 1:1 replace gas with electric cars.

gently caress cars.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

haveblue posted:

Hybrids also have the fairly serious disadvantage of still being ICE vehicles that produce emissions. If the ultimate goal is to tear down all the gas stations, it can't be hybrids

Don't the power plants that power EV batteries also producing emissions, especially in the US/China? I assume there is a difference in scale, but I haven't found a good study yet.

It just bugs me that people assume that the energy coming down the cable somehow got magicked into clean existence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sephyr posted:

Don't the power plants that power EV batteries also producing emissions, especially in the US/China? I assume there is a difference in scale, but I haven't found a good study yet.

It just bugs me that people assume that the energy coming down the cable somehow got magicked into clean existence.

Yes, but ICEs are incredibly inefficient and produce CO2 100% of the time.

EVs can be powered by clean or renewable energy. If we converted the entire world's energy infrastructure to coal-fired plans with no attempts at lowering emissions, then it would not make a difference if we switched entirely to EVs. But, that isn't going to happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sephyr posted:

Unlike ICE engines, they don't have to. You can charge an EV off solar, wind, or nuclear.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

And to be realistic, so many privately owned cars and an infrastructure completely and utterly dedicated to it seems like more of a problem than whether we 1:1 replace gas with electric cars.

gently caress cars.

electric cars are not a solution.

the problem is indeed that cars took over streets. Great-grandparents and maybe grandparents of people around now were generally anti-cars taking over streets because streets were for people, but then came the lobbying and propaganda campaigns in schools. Simultaneously, anemic mass transit.

ICE engines and roads are absolutely still needed and will be needed for the foreseeable future for stuff like trucking and hauling. Car culture around fixing and racing cars and whatever is fine but gets conflated with the rest.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

haveblue posted:

Unlike ICE engines, they don't have to. You can charge an EV off solar, wind, or nuclear.

But is that a significant portion of the power grid currently? If it's a coal plant powering your green vehicle, it's a bit of lateral move.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Most power companies are currently running a mix of renewable and fossil fuels. The decarbonization of the electric grid is happening. New power generation that is being built is more likely to be renewable than ever before. It's definitely not there yet but the process is underway. The economics of building wind/solar are currently better than building a new coal plant.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A problem we're going to have to confront sooner or later is people buying old obsolete fossil fuel power plants and spinning them up again for mining crypto

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

This is something I've been curious about but can't find any real solid information on

'We don’t have enough' lithium globally to meet EV targets, mining CEO says

Wouldn't it make more sense to shoot for more hybrid vehicles than straight electric ones? Like I said, I'm rather ignorant on the subject

don't worry, the US will just coup a few latin american governments to get their hands on cheap lithium.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

tristeham posted:

don't worry, the US will just coup a few latin american governments to get their hands on cheap lithium.

And the MuderDrones will be solar-powered and controlled by girlbosses who are out and proud about their Impostor Syndrome!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

tristeham posted:

http://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1566386036170805249

"Colonization" or coup, who can say

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's enough lithium dissolved in the oceans to last a long time. It just has to be economic to extract.

Maybe that can be extracted from the brine left over by desalination plants

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

G1mby posted:

Allocation of batteries is certainly something that's going to be a problem but there are several ways around it and unfortunately speaks to car culture in general.

Consider two cars on the market at the moment - the Ford 150 Lightning truck and the Mini Electric. The Ford has ~150kWh battery and a claimed range of 320 miles. The Mini has a ~30kWh battery and claimed range of 145 miles

If the market is dominated by Minis then we're only going to need ~20-25% as much lithium as if it was dominated by Lightnings. The Mini designers are betting on a world where a relatively short range is sufficient for most people and that there is a robust charging network that can handle longer distance travel and that most drivers can charge where they park. But if we take this route and accept shorter nominal ranges ( And maybe work on rather improving charging speeds for longer distances ) then we're probably ok for lithium.

Hybrids have a lot of advantages but you end up using up a lot more space inside the car (as you've got two independent motors) and they can be more mechanically complex (again, two motors).

The electric market is going to be dominated by Lightnings and other land yachts, because the ICE market already is. The Lightning is honestly antithetical to the idea of an all-electric future, and they (like all pickups) should be restricted to folks who can prove a legitimate need for one beyond "goes to Home Depot twice a year."

I really like series hybrids, or "range-extended electric" as they're being rebranded now, and I wish there were more options for those in the US. It's essentially a fully electric drivetrain in a car that runs a gas generator when you exhaust the limited battery range. Makes it convenient as a commuter or grocery getter, but still allows you to take long trips without spending hours at charging stations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sephyr posted:

But is that a significant portion of the power grid currently? If it's a coal plant powering your green vehicle, it's a bit of lateral move.

For California, coal is only about 3%. Of course, the next 40% is natural gas, which isn't great.

Rest is non-carbon-producing renewables.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Baronash posted:

The electric market is going to be dominated by Lightnings and other land yachts, because the ICE market already is. The Lightning is honestly antithetical to the idea of an all-electric future, and they (like all pickups) should be restricted to folks who can prove a legitimate need for one beyond "goes to Home Depot twice a year."

I really like series hybrids, or "range-extended electric" as they're being rebranded now, and I wish there were more options for those in the US. It's essentially a fully electric drivetrain in a car that runs a gas generator when you exhaust the limited battery range. Makes it convenient as a commuter or grocery getter, but still allows you to take long trips without spending hours at charging stations.

I think a more realistic idea would be if you cant claim a big truck as a work expense (with the idea being that it would be a work vehicle) then you just have to pay a hefty tax to purchase one. That would discourage a lot of the "goes to home Depot twice a year" crowd.

Edit: But this is America where you have a god given right to as big of a wasteful truck and as many AR15s as you want so I know it'll never happen.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As well as more gold that can ever dug out of the ground.

Old James posted:

Maybe that can be extracted from the brine left over by desalination plants

The person or group that builds a combination desalination/microplastic cleanup/oceanic rare metal extraction plant is going to be a hero of humanity and the richest on earth.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is an aggressively nonsensical tweet. your post does not, exactly, help the situation.

please elaborate on your theory here. is it that the washington post's opener about "here is why, american reader, this matters to you" indicates that the election where that constitution was overwhelmingly rejected was fraudulent in some way at the behest of, i guess, the washington post? surely you could find some stronger evidence for such a claim than that.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

evilweasel posted:

this is an aggressively nonsensical tweet. your post does not, exactly, help the situation.

please elaborate on your theory here. is it that the washington post's opener about "here is why, american reader, this matters to you" indicates that the election where that constitution was overwhelmingly rejected was fraudulent in some way at the behest of, i guess, the washington post? surely you could find some stronger evidence for such a claim than that.

I think it's absolutely wild that the WaPo's article about Chile's new constitution (that was voted down for multiple good reasons) by the "Editorial Board" starts off with...talking about how much lithium the country is sitting on rather than focusing on the people and reasons why the constitution should be rejected. I never mentioned anything about it being fraudulent at all.

I mean, it's not like the US had any hand in the politics of the country 50 years ago already, and why not let the people of Chile sort this out rather than framing it as a "well there's all these valuable resources there that the US could use, therefore,"? Hell, I don't think that we have any right to tell another country to rewrite their constitution considering the state of ours at the moment.

The article doesn't even dig into WHAT should be changed in the constitution, it's nearly entirely framed as "there's lithium there, and it could be NATIONALIZED or BANNED" "there's a lot of words in it," and "leftists bad"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/31/chile-constitution-vote-reject-rewrite/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

Wapos framing a countries politics in terms of it's national resources is extremely gross either way.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaboobi posted:

I think it's absolutely wild that the WaPo's article about Chile's new constitution (that was voted down for multiple good reasons) by the "Editorial Board" starts off with...talking about how much lithium the country is sitting on rather than focusing on the people and reasons why the constitution should be rejected. I never mentioned anything about it being fraudulent at all.

I mean, it's not like the US had any hand in the politics of the country 50 years ago already, and why not let the people of Chile sort this out rather than framing it as a "well there's all these valuable resources there that the US could use, therefore,"? Hell, I don't think that we have any right to tell another country to rewrite their constitution considering the state of ours at the moment.

The article doesn't even dig into WHAT should be changed in the constitution, it's nearly entirely framed as "there's lithium there, and it could be NATIONALIZED or BANNED" "there's a lot of words in it," and "leftists bad"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/31/chile-constitution-vote-reject-rewrite/

ok, so first of all, how should i interpret your post that reads (in full) ""Colonization" or coup, who can say" because both of those (given the context) can really only be read as claiming the overwhelming rejection of the constitution by the chilean voters is somehow illegitimate. because there's literally no other alternative i can think of besides trying to cast doubt on that.

as to why a wapo opinion piece would mention lithium: the opinion piece explains that in the very next sentence which can be summarized as: "why you, an american reader who couldn't care less about chile's constitution, might care"

it is not a particularly good opinion piece (as you note in this post, it barely explains its viewpoint) - though you are incorrect on two of the three grounds you say it opposes it. it has nothing akin to "leftists bad" and indeed describes the need to purge the constitution of the right-wing elements. it describes the mining components as "pragmatic" rather than complaining about the mining provisions and is clearly praising them (it has them in the positive section, which then shifts to the complaints after "nevertheless"). it does, accurately, note that it's 170 pages and while the opinion piece poorly explains why this is a problem, i think because they assume it's obvious (it's not): lengthy and detailed constitutions are generally inferior to simple ones.

but your complaint wasn't that it was thin and poorly explained, it was ""Colonization" or coup, who can say" and there's no basis for that claim at all

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I was starting a new multiplayer campaign this morning and I noticed you can't change the endgame crisis settings. But now I can't remember if that was the case in 2.0 or if it's a new bug in 2.1. e.g. you can't turn off certain ones, change the turns or utilize that new setting that enables all of them at once.

edit: Wrong thread :effort:

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 6, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Squibbles posted:

I was starting a new multiplayer campaign this morning and I noticed you can't change the endgame crisis settings. But now I can't remember if that was the case in 2.0 or if it's a new bug in 2.1. e.g. you can't turn off certain ones, change the turns or utilize that new setting that enables all of them at once.

I feel your pain. You won’t believe how frustrated I was when I realized I was stuck with this bugged endgame. Crisis after crisis, and no way to reset.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squibbles posted:

personally i think ohio is still a bit overtuned

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Florida's electoral impact stat needs a big nerf.

I'm still blown away that Ohio made it through beta and got released in its current state.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Tbh everything in this release sucks rear end if you can't afford all the DLC, which is substantial. It's as bad as Ubisoft cramming mtx dlc into single player games.

E: actually reminds me of modern warfare (the original one) splitting people into haves and have nots with their map pack dlc

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Juul finally officially admitted that they marketed to teens in a settlement with several states.

They also have to pay a little less than half a billion dollars in fines.

They haven't been fined by the feds for this, but the FDA has ordered all their products pulled from market.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1567216798700900353

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Takin' Juul to Schuul.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Looking forward to Chapo Felix crying about this for the next decades. I'll keep listening to that garbage tho

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Squibbles posted:

you can't change the crisis settings.

Thread title

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Triskelli posted:

Thread title
agreed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looking forward to Chapo Felix crying about this for the next decades. I'll keep listening to that garbage tho

They aren't technically banned; and the FDA actually pulled them for a different reason (there was a study showing that Juul pods degrade over time and are made up of harmful chemicals that can leech into the vape juice. The FDA wanted them pulled until they could verify whether there was a health risk or not.).

So, they could theoretically be back on the market sometime soon. They just have to comply with all the new provision of the settlement and FDA rules if they are allowed back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

G1mby posted:

Thanks for the reply.

The other thing I forgot to ask is what do we do about shipping and freight? I don''t think electric anything is really up the task. HIgh speed rail I don't think is built for it. MAYBE there's something to be done visa vi boats and freighters(?) But I don't see much of anything ready to replace the vast amount of 18 wheelers on our highwaysand wonder how this factors.

Maybe I should check out the climate change thread but figure I'd ask here

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
years back, the ports in the LA area started tossing the idea around of requiring electric-powered trucks (via overhead lines IIRC). Not sure where they went with it, I did find this though:

https://cleanairactionplan.org/strategies/trucks/
https://www.presstelegram.com/2022/04/26/zero-emissions-truck-trial-set-to-begin-this-year-in-ports-of-long-beach-la/

Looks like maybe they switched to something less cumbersome than overhead powerlines. This project is to basically reduce the localized diesel pollution and push shipped containers out to distribution hubs using clean energy. At this point from there they are likely to get sent to trains or warehouses, but it's still a big chunk of diesel demand going away. Long term goal seems to be charging stations along major routes outbound from the Ports of LA and LB.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Squibbles posted:

edit: Wrong thread :effort:

laughed at this until i cried. so excited to have learned my universe's version number

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Several former Sec Defs and Generals apparently agree with the threat title change. They're being really subtle here.

Totally normal country.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1567177105435230213

quote:

The open letter, signed by eight former Defense secretaries and five former chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, warns of an “an exceptionally challenging civil-military environment” exacerbated by geopolitical, social and political issues.

quote:

“Civilian control of the military is part of the bedrock foundation of American democracy. The democratic project is not threatened by the existence of a powerful standing military so long as civilian and military leaders — and the rank-and-file they lead — embrace and implement effective civilian control.”

quote:

“There are significant limits on the public role of military personnel in partisan politics. … Members of the military accept limits on the public expression of their private views — limits that would be unconstitutional if imposed on other citizens. Military and civilian leaders must be diligent about keeping the military separate from partisan political activity.”

quote:

The letter also affirms that elected civilians “have the right to be wrong … even if other voices warn in advance that the proposed action is a mistake” and that military officials must carry out legal orders even if they doubt the action.

In closing, the letter highlights the military’s duty during presidential elections to serve the current commander in chief and prepare for the next one, as chosen by voters.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for the reply.

The other thing I forgot to ask is what do we do about shipping and freight? I don''t think electric anything is really up the task. HIgh speed rail I don't think is built for it. MAYBE there's something to be done visa vi boats and freighters(?) But I don't see much of anything ready to replace the vast amount of 18 wheelers on our highwaysand wonder how this factors.

Maybe I should check out the climate change thread but figure I'd ask here

As far as last mile is concerned, nearly every single Fedex Truck I have seen in the past couple of weeks in Los Angeles is electric.

They might just be checking a box for investors, though.