Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone have some favorite non-rum-based uses for allspice dram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Answering both the last two questions at once: it’s good with whiskey to make a Christmas-y old fashioned.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I had an amazing Christmas-themed cocktail about a month ago (yeah I know) called a Mistletoe Margarita. I haven't had a chance to try reverse-engineering it yet, but a quick Google seems to suggest that this is actually a pretty common cocktail. I do remember they used cinnamon syrup, which could be a differentiator. I'm pretty sure the ingredients were tequila blanco, cranberry juice, lime juice, cinnamon syrup, and something orange-based, probably triple sec.

Since the base spirit is relatively neutral and you've also got at least 2 fruit juices in there, I figure you could probably make a pretty good alcohol-free version. Orange blossom water would probably do wonders, giving it that strong acidic punch without the alcohol. And of course you can get fancy on the rim if you want. Obviously a lot of people seem to go with a snow thing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Becherovka is Christmas in a bottle.

The bitters I use (Bittercube Trinity) already lend a baking spice and vanilla character to my Manhattan, but a dash of that in just about any drink would send it deep into the fall or winter season quickly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have some favorite non-rum-based uses for allspice dram?

Lion's tail.

2 oz bourbon
1/2 each allspice dram and lime juice
1/4 - 1/2 sugar (depending on preference)
Dash ango

Shake, serve up. A regular drink for me.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I also like it in Whiskey Ciders as a spiced version.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 2, 2022

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thank you to whomever suggested the Barbancourt 15. I picked a bottle up and it is outstanding. It feels like it's in the middle ground of being super clean and densely layered. Couldn't tell that this was made from sugar cane juice and not molasses. Fairly easy drinking sitting at 100 proof. Sweet, but not overly syrupy. Tons of toffee, butterscotch, caramel, wood, and some fruit I can't put my finger on. It's not overly complex, which I think is a good thing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Carillon posted:

Has anyone had much ferro china amari? I'm curious how different they are from non iron amari and if they're worth seeking out.

The one my partner brought back from Italy tastes like Averna and blood. I cannot overstate the taste of iron. It’s really cool.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Made a ghost flower per recipe on https://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/2015/07/friday-happy-hour-the-ghost-flower-tiki-cocktail-recipe/

Didn't feel it was balanced. Too tart. If I make it again, I'm probably cutting 1/4oz like juice, at least. Still tasty, and flaming lime halves is always fun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Another PSA, aged cachaça does not go particularly well with dry vermouth

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I have an extremely dumb :iiaca: rattling around in my head and I apologize for subjecting you to it.

What is the honda accord of vodkas? Average price, slightly above average value. I've been buying stoli purely on soviet union brand recognition.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Volcott posted:

I have an extremely dumb :iiaca: rattling around in my head and I apologize for subjecting you to it.

What is the honda accord of vodkas? Average price, slightly above average value. I've been buying stoli purely on soviet union brand recognition.

IMO, it's stoli.

----

What booze should i buy? Of the basic staples, I don't have irish and scottish whiskey but I don't care that much. I don't have mezcal or an anejo tequila. Again, not particularly interested other than to have them on the shelf. But after that, I have most/all of the staples, I think. I have a handful of liqueurs and cordials and that sort of thing. Just wondering what you think should be on the shelf?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Volcott posted:

Wheatley? It's made by Buffalo Trace.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Data Graham posted:

Another PSA, aged cachaça does not go particularly well with dry vermouth
That actually does surprise me.

My go to vodka is Luksusowa, same ballpark as Stoli.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Topo Chico and glacier ice Gatorade powder is an incredible hangover cure fyi

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I ended up getting Licor 43 because the SC book told me to. It seemed to be in a bunch of recipes that I couldn't yet make.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had a carajillo this morning. drat nice way to start the day

Probably an ever better way to end it

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

I ended up getting Licor 43 because the SC book told me to. It seemed to be in a bunch of recipes that I couldn't yet make.

The Beachnik is a good, somewhat unusual Tiki drink that uses Licor 43 but it also requires Barenjager which isn't a super common ingredient. I love honey and I think Barenjager is loving delicious so I recommend buying some anyway.

3/4 oz lemon juice.
3/4 oz Licor 43
1/2 oz Barenjager
1 1/2 oz light rum
8 oz crushed ice

Blend for up to 10 seconds and pour unstrained into a glass.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Baron Jager? Is he's Jager Meisters uncle or something?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think it’s the name of the attack on titan guy

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've got a bunch of friends coming round this weekend for some predrinks before dinner, drinks and a show and I think I'm gonna batch up a bunch of margs. While I don't want to turn it into punch, I wouldn't mind lengthening them a bit so no one gets too crazy too early. Googling suggests stuff like sprite and limeade, which sounds terrible. What do you guys think? I was thinking maybe 1/2 oz freshly squeezed OJ per serve or I guess just some more lime and water?

The Polish Pirate posted:

Mezcal margs are always a good choice, but my fave mezcal cocktail is called The Last Mechanical Art and it's equal parts (usually 3/4 oz) Mezcal, Cynar, Campari, Sweet Vermouth with an orange peel

This sounds loving amazing.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
1/2oz OJ per serving isn’t a whole lot. Soda water or something of the sort would be the way to go. Or make Palomas

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Wanted to try a final ward riff that subbed out maraschino and rye for benedictine and Applejack. Well, it's as much a modified monte cassino as it is a final ward. Ended up real drat good. Surprised at how many interesting layers work around each sip.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I made a Mezcal Arsenic and Old Lace last night and it was one of the nicest drinks I've ever made. I might add sliiightly more violet next time because it got pretty lost, but other than that it was really delightful.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

field balm posted:

I've got a bunch of friends coming round this weekend for some predrinks before dinner, drinks and a show and I think I'm gonna batch up a bunch of margs. While I don't want to turn it into punch, I wouldn't mind lengthening them a bit so no one gets too crazy too early. Googling suggests stuff like sprite and limeade, which sounds terrible. What do you guys think? I was thinking maybe 1/2 oz freshly squeezed OJ per serve or I guess just some more lime and water?

I would honestly pick Palomas instead

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

I made a Mezcal Arsenic and Old Lace last night and it was one of the nicest drinks I've ever made. I might add sliiightly more violet next time because it got pretty lost, but other than that it was really delightful.

The best thing violet can do is get lost

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

cptn_dr posted:

Oh drat, I've got to try that. The standard version has become one of my faves.

tonedef131 posted:

The best thing violet can do is get lost

no u :argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd been making missionary's downfalls using pineapple juice. Just made one using actual pineapple and OMG! I made two that are hurricane glass sized.

10 regular sized ice cubes.
20 pineapple chunks.
a bunch of mint leaves. 20-30 or so.
2 oz honey mix
1.5 oz rum. I used mt gay XO in this case but I don't think it would make a big difference.
2.5 oz peach liqueur. I used matilde.
Blended until smooth.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

LionYeti posted:

I would honestly pick Palomas instead

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

So I made a ... Sort of Blood and Sand variant — scotch, sweet vermouth, red mead, cointreau. It's better than a regular bad-tier Blood and Sand but I think it's missing something. Needs to be a little more sour, or something. Any thoughts on what might help cut through the cloying sweetness? Possibly just some orange juice, but I sort of wanted to keep away from that.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

cptn_dr posted:

So I made a ... Sort of Blood and Sand variant — scotch, sweet vermouth, red mead, cointreau. It's better than a regular bad-tier Blood and Sand but I think it's missing something. Needs to be a little more sour, or something. Any thoughts on what might help cut through the cloying sweetness? Possibly just some orange juice, but I sort of wanted to keep away from that.

Sounds like a use case for acid adjusted orange juice.

Kevin Kos on youtube is great. Nice time I make bitters I'm gonna get a potato ricer. For clean squeezing.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 7, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mezcal margs are always a good choice, but my fave mezcal cocktail is called The Last Mechanical Art and it's equal parts (usually 3/4 oz) Mezcal, Cynar, Campari, Sweet Vermouth with an orange peel

I asked a very generous bartender to make this for me and it ruled. Then again, I already love negronis, so adding in the nostalgia of a cigarette doesn't hurt.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I made a Martinez with Barr Hill. It's decent, but I wish it had a little more pronounced flavor, the various sweetnesses kind of blend together I guess?

Maybe I should stick with drinking the Barr Hill neat or with soda/tonic. It's awesome on its own but hasn't really worked with any gin-based cocktail I've tried it with.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This, on the other hand, was absolutely delicious. I went to 1oz of Lillet and left a teensy bit of absinthe in the glass after the rinse and :discourse:

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

piL posted:

I asked a very generous bartender to make this for me and it ruled. Then again, I already love negronis, so adding in the nostalgia of a cigarette doesn't hurt.

gently caress yeah what a rad bar

EDIT: I swear half the poo poo I make for myself is just some mixture of base spirit, amari, and vermouth. I guess it's why my Amari collection is now bigger than everything but whisky

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

gently caress yeah what a rad bar

EDIT: I swear half the poo poo I make for myself is just some mixture of base spirit, amari, and vermouth. I guess it's why my Amari collection is now bigger than everything but whisky

I'd love to see a pic of the Amari collection tbh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Picked up some Bonal on a whim; what do I do with it?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'd love to see a pic of the Amari collection tbh

Same! Somewhat related question but non-wine based Amari will keep for years/indefinitely when opened right? So I don't have to worry about refrigerating Cynar etc or it going bad a month or two after opening?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Same! Somewhat related question but non-wine based Amari will keep for years/indefinitely when opened right? So I don't have to worry about refrigerating Cynar etc or it going bad a month or two after opening?

I’ve yet to hear of it, and I worked in an Amaro focused bar what would have been out a pretty penny if all that rare and expensive stuff went bad.

Hell, my girlfriend lived in Italy while doing her WSETIII and brought back enough stuff to do a pop up- two or three years later it’s fresh as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've had Cynar as old as the 60s, when it was still wine based, and it was hardly oxidized and very much recognizable as cynar