Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
As someone with tinnitus who sleeps with a very loud fan I prefer my PC to be as loud as possible.

I often just leave the (glass) side panel off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i like this content GN did with gordon of PC world, i assume not the currys/pc world but some other one. they have good patter and chemistry.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i like this content GN did with gordon of PC world, i assume not the currys/pc world but some other one. they have good patter and chemistry.

I'd like to see more collabs here. And Gordon's hot take on SFF has us tiny PC enthusiasts swarming.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gordon's right

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

https://youtu.be/845HUaWYSQA

Well, now we shall see the best screwdriver according to Project Farm

I did not expect him to review this

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

c355n4 posted:

https://youtu.be/845HUaWYSQA

Well, now we shall see the best screwdriver according to Project Farm

That was not the crossover I expected in my YouTube subs

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This video has a decent example of something that's been bothering me with Project Farm lately. He seems to be in such a rush to crank out videos that at least some of his testing criteria in most videos are pointless/silly/wrong. The way he compares the direction change mechanism in this video is silly. You WANT it to be quite stiff and difficult to change with one hand, because the times you need to change it with one hand are far more rare than the times you really don't want it to switch directions as you work with it one-handed in some awkward way.

Why the gently caress would you use a loving phillips of all things to test bit strength? Makes no goddamn sense. If anyone is putting enough into a phillips to gently caress up a bit, they're doing it wrong or it's rusted in place and needs an impact to get it loose. Should have done that testing on a hex, torx, or square, which are actually meant to take meaningful torque numbers. But again in reality, a ratcheting screwdriver is a low-torque tool, so none of them should ever get anywhere near failure. Bit strength would mainly be meaningful if you were swapping the same bit into a torque driver or a screw gun or something.

In general, I think his tests did a great job of pointing out how dumb the idea of a ratcheting screwdriver is. It's loving symmetrical, if it spins it spins and you don't need it to ratchet. And you're just turning screws, so you don't need much torque - unless you do, in which case you need a torque driver, not a ratcheting screwdriver.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

In general, I think his tests did a great job of pointing out how dumb the idea of a ratcheting screwdriver is. It's loving symmetrical, if it spins it spins and you don't need it to ratchet. And you're just turning screws, so you don't need much torque - unless you do, in which case you need a torque driver, not a ratcheting screwdriver.

This is where I sit on the idea of a ratcheting screwdriver. The screwdriver is kinda inherently un-ergonomic. Rotating your wrist & fore-arm back and forth is a lovely motion that the body wasn't designed for. Putting a bunch of difficult screws into something with a hand screwdriver sucks. Ratcheting screwdrivers don't really fix that. It's just a slightly more convenient way to suck.

If you're doing small electronics work and your screws need minimal force, the good screwdriver is the type with a free-spinny thing on the end, because you turn it with just your fingers and don't use any wrist action at all.

If you're turning a screw that's tight and needs a lot of torque, or driving a *lot* of screws, the best option is a different tool altogether. A hand screwdriver is the convenient grab for one-off jobs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always liked the spiral ratchet one that Jake used to open the elevator panel in The Blues Brothers movie. I’ve never actually seen one though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

I always liked the spiral ratchet one that Jake used to open the elevator panel in The Blues Brothers movie. I’ve never actually seen one though.

"Yankee screwdriver"

https://tinyworkshops.com/yankee-screwdriver/

I've got one that belonged to my grandfather! But it just had a flathead bit so I never use it, iirc it either wasn't exchangeable or just couldn't use any of the modern standard hex or socket bits.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

priznat posted:

These are very cool in concept but they kind of suck in practice, they can’t put much torque through the spiral mechanism, and releasing it to prepare for the next push often knocks the tip out of the screw head.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
does anyone make an electric screwdriver with a really well calibrated torque sensor or something, i could see that having functional utility. like imagine a screwdriver you could go "okay i'm screwing in a threadripper" and an app on your phone would tell you what corner to put the screwdriver, tighten it just so, move on to the next one etc. i bet that might sell.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CoolCab posted:

does anyone make an electric screwdriver with a really well calibrated torque sensor or something, i could see that having functional utility. like imagine a screwdriver you could go "okay i'm screwing in a threadripper" and an app on your phone would tell you what corner to put the screwdriver, tighten it just so, move on to the next one etc. i bet that might sell.

...an app-based screwdriver sounds an awful lot like toast-science.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

holy poo poo, absolutely not. If you make me hook a loving screwdriver up to my phone, I'll pay you to take that as far away from me as you can and then pay you again for a dollar store phillips.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it could be, and it could be implemented like a stupid ultra end pricepoint thing but that's not my intent. a precision tool to take the element of tightening out of the equation for poo poo like mounts or repairs i feel like could sell if it's viable technologically - now there would be a good place for a brand like ifixit. work it into their existing guides, have a screwdriver that can apply exactly torque to remove the screws on eg a specific model of iphone and return them. betcha there's a market for that.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Torque doesn’t matter for 95% of the screws in electronics repair or PC building/repair.

Just buy one of those cheap battery powered screwdrivers and be done if you turn screws that much. You can always hand or finger tighten at the end to verify.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CoolCab posted:

it could be, and it could be implemented like a stupid ultra end pricepoint thing but that's not my intent. a precision tool to take the element of tightening out of the equation for poo poo like mounts or repairs i feel like could sell if it's viable technologically - now there would be a good place for a brand like ifixit. work it into their existing guides, have a screwdriver that can apply exactly torque to remove the screws on eg a specific model of iphone and return them. betcha there's a market for that.

Have fun designing a precision torquing mechanism for a 00 phillips head

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh it's not technologically or engineering wise feasible? that would make more sense why a product like that doesn't exist.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

oh it's not technologically or engineering wise feasible? that would make more sense why a product like that doesn't exist.

The reason torque sensitive screws are rarely Phillips is because they loving suck. Philips heads shred at the slightest little touch, especially when they are PH0 or below (most electronic screws are gonna be PH0 - PH000).

Any high tension or torque sensitive screw is gonna be Torx (there’s some other oddballs out there, but mostly torx).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Yep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK0iQwHxe1U

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Torque on fasteners is really more a function of managing bolt stretch, or for ensuring that surfaces seal against each other and gaskets crush down an appropriate amount.

Neither of which matters in the pc world

Yeah you could say it’s for ensuring you don’t strip threads and heads, but you just eventually get a feel for that stuff.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
there absolutely are fancy digital torque wrenches for places where that really matters

but in the screwdriver world who gives a poo poo

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832633215094.html

Not sure how well these things work but I've been thinking of trying one out. There are a variety out there, all similar concept. A torquey motor can/will rip up philips as mentioned before but it seems plausible that it might be smart enough not to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
for thread content, I'm gonna plug a channel that I frequent: "KL Gamers" is, as far as I can tell, a computer shop in Kuala Lumpur, and they post videos of them assembling PCs. Sometimes it's a super basic build of a Pentium CPU, one stick of RAM, and an SSD, other times it's a more fleshed-out "gaming" build with a big boy GPU and dual-channel memory, other times they're upgrading a laptop, but the point is that it's just commentary-free PC building that's clearly and cleanly presented

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLFU-OwYrQ4

Warmachine posted:

...an app-based screwdriver sounds an awful lot like toast-science.

screwdrivr

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

TheDemon posted:

there absolutely are fancy digital torque wrenches for places where that really matters

but in the screwdriver world who gives a poo poo

A long time ago I worked a job at a place that manufactured medical devices, and we had these little screwdrivers with computer adjustable torque settings that you could change screw-to-screw. When the operator would screw in a screw we'd set the torque setting specifically for the screw and we'd keep a little log of the data the screwdriver sent. The idea was if we had cases starting to fall apart, or crack, due to inappropriate screw tension we'd be able to track it back to a torque setting.

I don't know how much they cost but I assume it was a lot as they were meant to be used pretty continuously for their entire lifetimes. To this day I enjoy re-assembling my own small electronics without having to worry about torques because who cares.

Sorry if somebody already said this up-thread, the original use for Phillips head was because the driver would automatically cam out of the screw head once you hit a certain torque, letting you get pretty consistent torques across an assembly without having to worry about it too much. The industry has moved on now and we should stop selling the screwdriver bits. Most Phillips head screws you see in real life are actually pozidriv or JIS (at least where I live) and you can pretty safely use a JIS bit in most cases without damaging anything.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jamus posted:

A long time ago I worked a job at a place that manufactured medical devices, and we had these little screwdrivers with computer adjustable torque settings that you could change screw-to-screw. When the operator would screw in a screw we'd set the torque setting specifically for the screw and we'd keep a little log of the data the screwdriver sent. The idea was if we had cases starting to fall apart, or crack, due to inappropriate screw tension we'd be able to track it back to a torque setting.

I don't know how much they cost but I assume it was a lot as they were meant to be used pretty continuously for their entire lifetimes. To this day I enjoy re-assembling my own small electronics without having to worry about torques because who cares.

Sorry if somebody already said this up-thread, the original use for Phillips head was because the driver would automatically cam out of the screw head once you hit a certain torque, letting you get pretty consistent torques across an assembly without having to worry about it too much. The industry has moved on now and we should stop selling the screwdriver bits. Most Phillips head screws you see in real life are actually pozidriv or JIS (at least where I live) and you can pretty safely use a JIS bit in most cases without damaging anything.

I vaguely remembered that being the story for why Phillips was invented, but I'm not close enough to the source material to have felt confident recanting the story.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

no pubes yet sorry posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832633215094.html

Not sure how well these things work but I've been thinking of trying one out. There are a variety out there, all similar concept. A torquey motor can/will rip up philips as mentioned before but it seems plausible that it might be smart enough not to.

yeah that was about what i was envisioning. once you've got the sensor (whatever engineering challenge that is) and a computer in there it seems like a natural product for some kind of connectivity or smart functionality, if that's a little LCD display and a bunch of codes that do different stuff or some kind of PC/smart device connectivity could maybe make something compelling. people really do worry about loving up their products and would pay a price premium to guarantee a perfect mount every time or that they'd never strip a screw again, or an employee never would. probably pretty niche but people will pay a premium for these automated features on tools in my observation.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I was going to look and see how many smart connected app driven screwdrivers there are on kickstarter, but I feel sad enough today already

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Adolf Glitter posted:

I feel sad enough today already

Too bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol @ “power screwdriver/handheld blender”

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Torque doesn’t matter for 95% of the screws in electronics repair or PC building/repair.

Just buy one of those cheap battery powered screwdrivers and be done if you turn screws that much. You can always hand or finger tighten at the end to verify.

I’ve found that apart from people who do the ‘run drill with screw bits until it clicks 300 times and your screw is dead’ (usually bad handymen), the cause of stripping screws is usually using the wrong size bit. Compounded by JIS/Philips confusion and the utter idiocy of having non-metric building parts in the USA.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Goreld posted:

I’ve found that apart from people who do the ‘run drill with screw bits until it clicks 300 times and your screw is dead’ (usually bad handymen), the cause of stripping screws is usually using the wrong size bit. Compounded by JIS/Philips confusion and the utter idiocy of having non-metric building parts in the USA.

This is true in actual, building material sized screws.

In electronic sizes screws, they’re too small for Phillips. And they genuinely shred often even with the exact right amount of force and right size driver.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
Is there an easy way to tell apart JIS and Philips like there is with the cross in PZ heads?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spckr posted:

Is there an easy way to tell apart JIS and Philips like there is with the cross in PZ heads?

JIS screws not done cheap should have a dot outside the slots to make it evident

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/10583/phillips-vs-jis-vs-pozidriv/

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

hes totally not mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXQzLbDrgs

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

80 staff sucked me off??!?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
youtube drama!!!

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1566521941413875712
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1567404793433309187
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1567838999162527745

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm a loving idiot cause I saw this live on youtube and clicked it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ctXiZsN6ac

This is all just a whole QVC wan show of Linus and this loving screwdriver arguing over people against it

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 10, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GN did a little NDA breach, as a treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzhxW7uu9EI&t=165s

Ian's a cop:
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1568710928908050434

Steve seemed genuinely annoyed that AMD would release info that they embargoed the press from revealing, which led to him revealing a bit extra on top of what AMD revealed (about the overclockability of DDR5 on Zen 4). But that seems like an odd stance for Steve to take since AMD will obviously want to release this info at the pace they deem most appropriate for their marketing strategy, which is the whole reason the embargo exists in the first place.

Hopefully GN doesn't tick off AMD too much for this. I have no idea why Steve would risk ruining GN's relations with one of the biggest companies in this space over something so small.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So small that it would ruin their relations, lol

Who cares