Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FilthyImp posted:

Why? The meta is hilarious and Cavill seems to be a good nerdy sport about things like these.

Cavill wouldn't give a poo poo, but the dc bros would throw fits.

I'm trying to think of any mcu actor jumping would cause mcu fans to meltdown. Maybe Brie Larson as wonder woman. Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm trying to think of any mcu actor jumping would cause mcu fans to meltdown. Maybe Brie Larson as wonder woman. Idk

I don't think the type of MCU fan who would melt down likes Larson.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sentry as an ongoing character is such absolute garbage.

The original Jenkins/Lee miniseries is such a genuinely creative and pathos-filled little story about this legendary super man that nobody knows about and it all ends with him disappearing again. Now every time they bring him back since and give him more generic mental illnesses it just diminishes the whole idea. They've also stripped away all of the fun golden age aspects of the character like his Superfriends-esque relationships with all the other heroes or his abilities being vaguely described as "the power of one million exploding suns."

Like there are so many Superman expies and/or tortured "crazy" heroes that it's borderline insulting to his concept that they've ditched all of the rad stuff from his origin comic and just made him some dumb overpowered deus ex machina. Also all of the art of him since the original is so bleh.

What I'm saying is just adapt the first run and then never speak of the character again. That arc legitimately rules so hard and could probably be done pretty well on screen. Just gotta get the character of Mr Fantastic established first.

Ror fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 6, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would hope that Feige knows better than to put the Sentry in the MCU

If they actually did it completely standalone, the age of sentry would be a decent TV miniseries

but they wouldn't be willing to do that so yeah, nah

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Marvel should just loving go for it and add Affleck and Gadot for the full Squadron Supreme. Throw in Ryan Reynolds as Dr. Spectrum and maybe Grant Gustin as The Whizzer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They could do that or throw them in as the Sun Society as a gag during Secret Wars

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cavill and Hemsworth doing Hyperion and Thor’s heroic sacrifice in the lead up to Secret Wars would rule.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

site posted:

If they actually did it completely standalone, the age of sentry would be a decent TV miniseries

but they wouldn't be willing to do that so yeah, nah

The conceit of a retro anthology with a larger plot in the background was already done by Wandavision anyway so it would be difficult to do without drawing comparisons.

Sentry just feels like too much to try and squeeze into the MCU, although I admit I would love to have his World War Hulk bits on screen, where some big world ending threat emerges and you cut to him on the couch complaining about his agoraphobia.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's funny how for all the complaints that the Sentry gets as a character, he has a load of really good stories. (The original mini, the second Jenkins/JRjr mini, Ages of Sentry, his role in WWH, some of the BMB stuff.)

Like you could absolutely cherry pick what parts you want to use, even if some of the juicier story beats have already been mined by some other Marvel and MCU properties.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the original mini would be great material for adaptation, especially seeing as how you could use it as a great excuse for a cameo fest (which everyone loves), where even if you can't get old actors like RDJ to show back up, I'm sure effects have progressed to the the point where they could Forrest Gump him into older stuff like at the very least the Endgame fight.

That said the point of the mini is him erasing himself from the timeline, (which is where he should've stayed in the comics) and there is absolutely no way in hell Disney/Marvel are gonna do a one-and-done movie with a hero instead of bringing him back.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So WBD failed to reach an agreement with Dan Lin, who was supposed to be the guy who would become the 'Kevin Feige' of the DCEU. There was an impasse over what would happen with his production company and that scuttled the deal.

https://www.ign.com/articles/wb-discoverys-search-for-its-dc-kevin-feige-continues-after-major-candidate-exits-negotiations

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that makes sense.

Also apparently the issue was that they wanted this guy to run everything for them and handle billions of dollars in projects, but wouldn't buy his production company as well, lol indeed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Opopanax posted:

Yeah that makes sense.

Also apparently the issue was that they wanted this guy to run everything for them and handle billions of dollars in projects, but wouldn't buy his production company as well, lol indeed
It's more amazing by the day that The Discovery Company's studios didn't just spontaneously burn down from all of the poo poo decisions they've made, based on just what we have seen from them in the last month

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I don't know if you could pay me enough to manage the WB DCEU quagmire at this stage, especially since I imagine the entire position would be hamstrung from the new holder of the purse strings.

"Fix this"
"Well OK, but it's going to cost you-"
"Ah-ah. No money. Only Fix"

It also really feels less like they're looking for a Feige-esque mastermind and more of a fall guy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am amused and sad at the same time. Like lol, but also it'd be col if there dc movies that weren't batman and were also good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

I am amused and sad at the same time. Like lol, but also it'd be col if there dc movies that weren't batman and were also good

They'll have to pursue a Brave & The Bold strategy, where they can make movies about all kinds of characters but Batman will feature in all of them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's more amazing by the day that The Discovery Company's studios didn't just spontaneously burn down from all of the poo poo decisions they've made, based on just what we have seen from them in the last month

Yeah everyone is amazed the company hasn't imploded even before the merger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

It also really feels less like they're looking for a Feige-esque mastermind and more of a fall guy.

Please hire me WBD I will be your Kevin Feige and/or fall guy.

My 3 point plan is brilliant:

1. Make a movie starring a B-lister where we do not mention other heroes (especially Superman/Batman). My choice is Booster Gold but I'm flexible. Feature a post-credits where Martian Manhunter appears to cryptically hint at something bad coming and that they should team up.
  2. At this point basically copy the MCU point for point but with other JL members, making sure to save Batman and Superman for last.
  3. Do a Justice League.

Along the way, I'll be largely reclusive, avoiding press, but around the JL release, I will give an interview or maybe a Reddit AMA where someone will almost definitely ask if I'm copying the MCU's formula. I will cackle like a madman and say "Yes, all the way to the motherfuckin' bank, son". Then if my unprofessionalism affects ticket sales you can fire me or if you still make a ton of money I will stick around for phases 2-???. My prices are very flexible as I am poor and therefore will accept way less of a salary than I probably should ask for. Ball's in your court, Mr. Zaslav.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 7, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

“Are you just copying Marvels highly successful lead that has completely changed the film industry and made an insane amount of money with no end in sight?”

“Yes.”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Great artists steal

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just noticed in Spider-Man, that when J. Jonah Jameson is introduced, he has a TV screen in the background with the word "AIDS" written in bolded all caps in front of an American flag with a graphic that says, "U.S. AIDS record: 56% Homosexual Men" on it for some reason.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Honestly I don't even know if copying Marvel's format would accomplish anything at this point, Infinity War is so far beyond Avengers it would feel outdated.

Also I've been thinking about it and hear me out, James Earl Jones as (the voice of) Doom. Was reading a discussion about how Vader is based a lot on Doom and now it's in my head

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

James Earl Jones is 91.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I love the dude but he kinda sounded like... Bad... In the cgi Lion King.

Performance was good but he had like old person pause

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How about an AI doing a James Earl Jones voice? That way if he dies you can still put him in as many movies as you want

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fine have him record all the lines now and then just put them in when it comes time, problem solved

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

I love the dude but he kinda sounded like... Bad... In the cgi Lion King.

Performance was good but he had like old person pause

Yeah there are videos out there comparing his deliveries in both versions and while he still sounds... well, like himself, his delivery is definitely just all around worse (as it probably should be, since as noted, dude is 91).

I wouldn't really want him any way, since you know we're eventually gonna see Doom with the mask off, or at least pre-mask, and Doom just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would change his voice to sound like Darth Vader. VOICE CHANGING TECHNOLOGY IS BENEATH DOOM!

...unless the actor quits then VOICE CHANGING TECHNOLOGY IS TOTALLY DOOM'S poo poo AND I'M NEVER TAKING THIS MASK OFF AGAIN!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What's Doom's current status in the comics these days, horribly mutilated under that mask or a tiny scar that his pride can't tolerate?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mutilated.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Mutilated.

:argh: Bendis :argh:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Bruceski posted:

What's Doom's current status in the comics these days, horribly mutilated under that mask or a tiny scar that his pride can't tolerate?

Kirby knew best. (avatar / post combo)

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Even if James Earl Jones was younger it would just be way too similar to Vader - the most iconic cinematic villian of all time - that I think it simply wouldn't work. It would be weird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I liked it when Doom looked like a French actor

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It’s too bad Norm MacDonald died.

“My plans of world domination have been foiled again. The cause? You guessed it, Reed Richards.”

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
can keith david do a vaguely european accent because frankly he is and always has sounded better than vader

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Carlos Esposito for DOOM

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It’s a shame Jeremy Irons is also too old now, he’d have made a great Doom. Ditto Alan Rickman (who is so old he’s dead).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Why what is happening to the WB is happening and how it will happen to the rest of Hollywood.
https://twitter.com/gvaughnjoy/status/1566899284569722882?t=M39aIgiN_bIZnmXujiF6uA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have to admit I caught a trailer for Ponoccio last night, a thing I didn’t know was even being made, and threw my hands up admitting that I don’t understand the industry at all these days.