Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I always figured Peter Parker was Catholic because his name reminds me of Parker Posey and Parker Posey is Catholic.

That would make me think he was from Mississippi, and his dad owned a car lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grendels Dad posted:

This Spider-Jew is a MENACE!

J Jonah Jameson canceled.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Is this some new definition of coding I don't understand, where a character is suggested to be one thing while in the same breath explicitly said not to be?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To my mind fascism isn’t just about simple power, it’s about the elimination of “weakness” (feminine, queer, racially impure, sexually liberal, disabled). Superheroes are not inherently fascist just for being powerful.

Where some depictions of them get fashy is with the idea that you can solve crime by punching it. Like crime is just degeneracy and deserves no mercy, this is where Frank Miller stuff starts feeling kind of gross on how much relish it wallows in criminals as sick-filth. And it’s what makes Roschrach extremely fash, the way he draws a direct line between criminality, sexual degeneracy and the collapse of national identity.

Modern superhero stories tend to shy away from that though. Not even Batman really does the going out to beat up street criminals thing much. To do that often means using supervillains as a threat, or other supes going rogue or similar.

The central joke in the Boys is that since super crime isn’t really a thing the only real use for superpowers in real life is as an arm of the corporate/military/police.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 7, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is this some new definition of coding I don't understand, where a character is suggested to be one thing while in the same breath explicitly said not to be?

What is an example of coding more in line with what you think it means?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IMO the fascistic element is not the idea that power is held by the few, that's just reality.

The idea that certain individuals are "super"ior to others is fascistic, that there is a group of Ubermensch (supermen) far and above everyone else. And that works very well with vigilantism where society is corrupt and only a single super human acts as the ultimate arbiter of morality.

Lots of people are superior to others in one way or another. Michael Phelps is an intrinsically superior super man at swimming. Does that matter? Does it confer moral superiority or more of a right to life? Power is the “is”, but what is the “ought”? That’s where superheroes and fascism diverge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lots of people are superior to others in one way or another. Michael Phelps is an intrinsically superior super man at swimming. Does that matter? Does it confer moral superiority or more of a right to life? Power is the “is”, but what is the “ought”? That’s where superheroes and fascism diverge.

No, that's exactly where they don't diverge. Fascism conflates physical superiority with ethical superiority: might makes right. If Michael Phelps decided that the superior physical gifts which make him a great swimmer in and of themselves gave him the right to fight crime, then he'd be the Deep. But more importantly he'd also be a fascist.

If you're wondering how this is different to someone like Superman or Peter Parker, remember that neither of them believes that it is their right to fight crime simply because they have powers. They were both given a duty of care by their adopted fathers. They have doubts, and sometimes they'd rather lay the burden down.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Peter Parker explicitly believes it’s his right and duty to fight crime because of his powers. That’s what “with great power comes great responsibility” means. The fact that it was told to him by his uncle isn’t really relevant to the broader ethos.

Also it’s not hard to imagine a fascist who occasionally “has doubts, wants to put the burden [of purging the undesirables] down” but continues soldiering on and doing fascist stuff. That’s pretty much the dude in Man in the High Castle if I recall. Having doubts about an ethos doesent change the ethos either.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 7, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Imo superheroes are the American fantasy of sufficiently targeted violence

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ok but that's the thing, super heroes are written as morally superior. They fight bad people and act as deciders of good vs evil. That's the whole "hero" side of it.

Also don't agree that Michael Phelps is "superior" to anyone but that's just :can:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Phelps has a longer than average wingspan which absolutely does give him an advantage in terms of swimming, even if you don’t want to use the word “superior” there

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
being good at swimming isn't impressive or superior. you're basically never swimming, and when you are it doesn't really matter how good or bad you are at it. It doesn't even benefit anyone, if everyone could swim as good as Phelps and the world would have all the same problems. hopefully this puts a stop to people bragging about their movement underwater.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

being a really good swimmer is exactly like being an unstoppable avatar of violence the likes of a mythical god

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I went swimming in the same pool as Michael Phelps and he zipped past me real fast and splashed water in my eyes, laughing cruelly as he did so

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Wheeee posted:

being a really good swimmer is exactly like being an unstoppable avatar of violence the likes of a mythical god

Hawkeye parachute account spotted

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Khanstant posted:

being good at swimming isn't impressive or superior. you're basically never swimming, and when you are it doesn't really matter how good or bad you are at it. It doesn't even benefit anyone, if everyone could swim as good as Phelps and the world would have all the same problems. hopefully this puts a stop to people bragging about their movement underwater.

False. If we could all swim like Phelps we could simply live in an underwater

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

massive spider posted:

Peter Parker explicitly believes it’s his right and duty to fight crime because of his powers. That’s what “with great power comes great responsibility” means. The fact that it was told to him by his uncle isn’t really relevant to the broader ethos.

It's difficult to imagine how anyone could be this wrong, but here we are. When Peter first gets his powers he decides to use them to get famous and make money. He literally lets a thief go because he doesn't see fighting crime as his problem. And if that thief hadn't gone on to kill Ben Parker then Peter might never have fought crime, because it's that loss which teaches him to take responsibility.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok but that's the thing, super heroes are written as morally superior. They fight bad people and act as deciders of good vs evil. That's the whole "hero" side of it.

I haven't followed modern comics in a long time so can you give me an example of a superhero defending the weak from the powerful that's actually immoral and bad?

Because having the ability to enforce morality as an independent vigilante doesn't inherently make someone an evil fascist

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

I haven't followed modern comics in a long time so can you give me an example of a superhero defending the weak from the powerful that's actually immoral and bad?

Because having the ability to enforce morality as an independent vigilante doesn't inherently make someone an evil fascist

Batman, canonically, beats crazy people into bloody pulps, often in the rain, under the auspices of protecting the innocent from the cruel dregs of Gotham City, when the truth is simply that Bruce Wayne could turn the city around with his philanthropy more than he ever could change it with his Muay Thai wrist grabs and utility belts. He’s literally shaping the world through violence, despite essentially having all the powers of a politician or legislator who could enact meaningful systemic change.

Like imagine if Superman were also The President, that’s basically the power Bruce Wayne has over Gotham.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Swimming like Phelps is a superpower because you can eat burgers and fries all day and not gain any weight

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's difficult to imagine how anyone could be this wrong, but here we are. When Peter first gets his powers he decides to use them to get famous and make money. He literally lets a thief go because he doesn't see fighting crime as his problem. And if that thief hadn't gone on to kill Ben Parker then Peter might never have fought crime, because it's that loss which teaches him to take responsibility.

I am aware of this yes I have seen the 15 or whatever movies, that’s the instructional lesson of how he arrived at his ethos, but that’s not really relevant in assessing the ethos.

He has great power and therefore great responsibility. it’s the fact that he CAN do something which provides the moral imperative to do something.

You are correct that this is not inherently evidence that he’s fascist. But just pointing out that -because he gets his morals from his dead uncle and he gets sad about it is a weak argument. The actual aphorism his uncle gave was one about the responsibility of the strong to use their strength. Peter is strong therefore he must fight crime. There’s no ethical difference between him and the hypothetical crime fighting Michael Phelps except for a dead uncle.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Cpt_Obvious posted:

And isn't The Boys just trying to say that while that's a nice fantasy, human nature probably would stand in the way of that?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

massive spider posted:

I am aware of this yes I have seen the 15 or whatever movies, that’s the instructional lesson of how he arrived at his ethos, but that’s not really relevant in assessing the ethos.

He has great power and therefore great responsibility. it’s the fact that he CAN do something which provides the moral imperative to do something.

You are correct that this is not inherently evidence that he’s fascist. But just pointing out that -because he gets his morals from his dead uncle and he gets sad about it is a weak argument. The actual aphorism his uncle gave was one about the responsibility of the strong to use their strength. Peter is strong therefore he must fight crime. There’s no ethical difference between him and the hypothetical crime fighting Michael Phelps except for a dead uncle.

I don't think the 'great responsibility' means what you think it means.

It's a responsibility to use that power morally. Not to use it for self-interested purposes, etc. That is, don't use it like a fascist.

For example, if you were so physically powerful that just brushing by someone on the sidewalk might hurt them, then you have a great responsibility to be very careful about walking around other people.

That's what the aphorism means. Not that you have a responsibility to go be a vigilante.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Michael Phelps gets brought up kind of a lot these days because of all the horseshit surrounding trans people in sports so I recently discovered that multiple medical papers have been written about how his unique physiology and a rare genetic mutation combined to create a once in a generation athlete, with other examples of this being Shaquille O’Neil or Andre the Giant. Some people are quite literally physically superior due to their inherent genetic gifts, and as a result what we might consider a “calling” to their career might simply be a case of being priced into a certain career path, like how something like 25% of adults over 7 feet tall end up in the NBA (a probably fake statistic I learned in college 12 years ago and have never checked). If you’re just genetically better at long swimming strokes and don’t need to breathe as much as other people, then going into swimming as a career makes sense.

I think it sort of breaks down metaphorically to compare them to superheroes because super heroism isn’t a career and offers no material rewards, almost by design. One of the reasons The Boys is so effective is because it really fleshes out the financial side of modern super heroes which almost by itself flips the whole thing in its head and makes it all seem crass and gross.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I believe the stat is that around 12% of 7 footers alive in the US have played in the NBA. Probably a shitload more played college ball.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

.lSo I mean if you can PROVE that he’s not Jewish go ahead, but me and the thousands of other Jews who recognize him as being like us will continue to have one cool Jewish superhero, thank you.

Kitty Pryde?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You mean this Kitty Pryde?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Kitty "I love the n-word" Pryde

edit ^ lol

AJA fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 8, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lol holy poo poo.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Time to break this up to bring another kind of drama going on

https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/1567609709154430976

Some fans(chuds) are being problematic to Erin Moriarty

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1567350671002800128

The ones being lovely probably still think Homelander is the good guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Of course he's the good guy, he's the main hero and he says what we're all thinking. He tells it like it is, he's going to run Vought like a business.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

christmas boots posted:

You mean this Kitty Pryde?

This is why the PYF "media which didn't age well" thread has the subtitle "More like Kitty Prejudice!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really wish more showrunners had the balls to tell their toxic fans to eat poo poo and gently caress off. Good for Kripke, he sure knows his way around a toxic fanbase, that’s for sure.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

kitty pryde worldwide

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember reading that comic the month it came out and thinking "Marvel let that one through huh"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao at le epic bacon racist clapback

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilson posted:

That's what the aphorism means. Not that you have a responsibility to go be a vigilante.

I mean that is literally what he does with it. The lesson isn’t one about hiding away as to avoid hurting people, as your example is. It’s about actively going out and trying to stop bad people, because a bad person hurt his uncle. Vigilantism.

Yea there is an unspoken imperative to use the power “well” but then we’re getting into the ethics of what it means to use power well and how a vigilante gets to decide that just by virtue of being a special guy. The 2019 spider-man movie had his great power literally being drone strikes. Hollands Spider-Man suit has an “instant kill” mode.

Now obviously spider man is probably not a fascist, but I’m saying if were talking about superheroes and fascism he isnt a great counter example just because he hes nice, and we probably need a better definition of fascism to pin down why.

Fascism isn’t just about being self serving, fascists can see themselves as working on behalf of society. I return again to the example of Oppenheimer Smith, the fascist who is sincerely “doing his duty” for what he sees as the greater good. Or the KKks seeing themselves as masked vigilantes protecting society, which Alan Moore has noted.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 8, 2022

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Fascism. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
You heard it here boys, Spiderman is a Fascist. He's literally Hitler guuuuys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spider-Man never tells anyone how to live or what to believe or even really tries to get them to change, he literally only stops people from hurting others. Defending the weak from the strong and violent isn’t fascism. There is no greater push to force the world to adopt his worldview, which seems like the lynchpin of fascism.