Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gonna guess Ple Ple Pleiades, the Overlord spinoff involving the titular Pleiades maids. That's CZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Argas posted:

Gonna guess Ple Ple Pleiades, the Overlord spinoff involving the titular Pleiades maids. That's CZ.

Yeah. That's the only part that's even vaguely mecha related.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started watching a mecha series. I won't tell you who directed it, but I will say I'm very excited to follow the adventures of characters like Shot Weapon and Marvel Frozen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shot Weapon is a computer engineer from California.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm still sad we'll never get Elbow Smash as a character. A modern tragedy :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

one of the best things about Tomino shows is the little personal robots

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

one of the best things about Tomino shows is the little personal robots

Does that have 3 legs? What a weird form/gait to give it. Which show is it from? Dunbine or something, I assume?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

Does that have 3 legs? What a weird form/gait to give it. Which show is it from? Dunbine or something, I assume?

yeah and yeah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How is Aldnoah.Zero? I recently came across some of the music and Sawano is ticking my positives, but I see that it's a Gen Urobuchi joint and I really did not like his Godzilla trilogy at all. Worth checking out?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I vaguely remember people finding it mediocre and urobuchi is generally a bad writer and storyteller so I can't say it seems promising.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's a messy show with a very weak second season, but I still found it had a certain absurd charm to it. The mechanical designs by I-IV are great, and Hiroyuki Sawano goes exactly as hammy on the soundtrack as he needs to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

urobuchi is generally a bad writer and storyteller

So I thought this was pretty funny when I looked up the show on wikipedia and this was on Urobuchi's page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen_Urobuchi

Writing style posted:

In choosing names for the characters he develops, Urobuchi has stated that he shies away from selecting generic names that would match their personalities and instead opts for more unusual names that he believes would eliminate noise when fans try finding information on the characters with search engines.

I know Wikipedia can be edited by anyone but it's hilarious to me that the most anyone can say about Gen's writing style is "he makes up weird names so it's easier to google them."

Maybe I'll give the show a shot. An episode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 7, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

How is Aldnoah.Zero? I recently came across some of the music and Sawano is ticking my positives, but I see that it's a Gen Urobuchi joint and I really did not like his Godzilla trilogy at all. Worth checking out?

If it's the show I'm thinking of, I found the first season pretty good, with inventive fights and an entertaining lead character. But the events of the finale made me think I wasn't going to enjoy the second season, so I never watched it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It's not really his joint in general. He wrote the first arc and moved on, while the show diverged more and more from the setup as it went.

Looking up discussion from the time, people were really excited about the first three episodes, but interest gradually fell, spiked for the first season finale (which suggested the show was taking some big risks) and crashed in season 2.

The basic gimmick is the hero in a grunt mech using clever tactics and physics to fight super robots (kind of like Gundam 00's first arc with the protagonist role reversed), but like a lot of shows with "smart" protagonists, it gets more and more rear end-pully as it goes, because writing smart people is hard, and the more times you need to have a brilliant reversal, the more likely you are to mess up with some of them.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
First season starts strong, but looses its way about halfway through when it decided to also be a political drama about the stagnated space empire. The second season might as well be an entirely different series given how unrecognizable the cast is. The ending is entirely unsatisfactory.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder how many shows actually deliver on the smart protagonists outwitting their opponents premise. Geass does it well in S1 and parts of S2 but fails a lot second season. LOGH develops a really bad Rosenritter = win problem for large portions of the show, and really some of Yang's tactics are not particularly ingenious. In Fate Zero every single one of Kiritsugus badass ice cold no care for collateral damage plans falls on its face and he wins by Saber being GOATed. Akagi seems to deliver but I don't understand Mahjong at all so maybe what he's doing is bullshit. Kaiju is less super clever and more very clever plus having balls of steel and nothing to lose. Mellow link manages to maintain the premise the whole time from what I remember.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
86 kinda? It's usually not the pilots doing it, granted.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While the smart protagonist didn't help IIRC the real big issues with the second half of Aldnoah was with the other lead Slaine just doing dumb stuff that just made everything worse

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's not looking good for my interest, then. Maybe I'll keep searching. Sawano's music is good but it can't carry a show lacking in other places.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Well that's not looking good for my interest, then. Maybe I'll keep searching. Sawano's music is good but it can't carry a show lacking in other places.

You've seen 86, right?

Sawano music, but it's in a good show with some really amazing directorial flourishes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

86 kinda? It's usually not the pilots doing it, granted.

Eh, 86 relies considerably more on humans being far better pilots than AIs than on careful, clever planning and trickery. That's a sideshow, not the main attraction.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Gaius Marius posted:

I wonder how many shows actually deliver on the smart protagonists outwitting their opponents premise. Geass does it well in S1 and parts of S2 but fails a lot second season. LOGH develops a really bad Rosenritter = win problem for large portions of the show, and really some of Yang's tactics are not particularly ingenious. In Fate Zero every single one of Kiritsugus badass ice cold no care for collateral damage plans falls on its face and he wins by Saber being GOATed. Akagi seems to deliver but I don't understand Mahjong at all so maybe what he's doing is bullshit. Kaiju is less super clever and more very clever plus having balls of steel and nothing to lose. Mellow link manages to maintain the premise the whole time from what I remember.
JoJo pills this off by having all of its characters able to alter physics in very particular ways but also able to recall bizarre physics factoids that are only applicable in that exact situation

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jojo's is also over the top which can lean more into smart protagonist pulling poo poo out at the last minute and still have it work. If your trying to be a more grounded or reality based show it can easily run it's course after a few times

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is Dunbine on any streaming thing ATM?

tsob posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Is Dunbine on any streaming thing ATM?

It's on HIDIVE.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think Aldnoah season 1 is worth a watch if you're bored and looking for something to see. Several of the fights are pretty fun and clever and the presentation is good.

Season 2 is much, much worse; I could tolerate the plot going off the rails if the fights remained as fun as S1, but they don't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
s1: real robots vs. overpowered super robots
s2: everyone has super robots, and also the robots are boring

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
they stopped using breathless in S2 so it sucks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

s1: real robots vs. overpowered super robots
s2: everyone has super robots, and also the robots are boring

No they don't, do they? There's a civil war within the super robot faction, but the real robot faction are still plugging away with more or less the same tech.

RangerKarl posted:

they stopped using breathless in S2 so it sucks.

The way they got rid of it was darkly funny, though, and yet another piece of evidence that Saazbaum was the best villain in the show. Dude mauled the protagonists so hard that he permanently destroyed one of their best pieces of theme music.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is very good, to me

I have also learned that the third leg is only deployed in rough terrain. On even terrain the robot sticks to two legs for speed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it's like the AT-AP from Star Wars with the tripod stance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

So it's like the AT-AP from Star Wars with the tripod stance.

I don't know what that is

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
when urobuchi is on, he's loving ON but when he's off it's pretty rough

edit: oh poo poo he was on blassreiter. didn't know that. you guys should watch blassreiter, it's a ride and like 85% really really good

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

War and Pieces posted:

JoJo pills this off by having all of its characters able to alter physics in very particular ways but also able to recall bizarre physics factoids that are only applicable in that exact situation

JoJo also keenly understands that the trick to making a clever protagonist isn't having them build nested plans within plans within plans, it's showing how they can have everything go to poo poo and still improvise a win on the back foot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Urobuchi's most fun series from start to end is Thunderbolt Fantasy cause Wuxia fits his style of story telling and also the fact it's puppets means you don't take it too seriously

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

JoJo also keenly understands that the trick to making a clever protagonist isn't having them build nested plans within plans within plans, it's showing how they can have everything go to poo poo and still improvise a win on the back foot.

Araki understands the key to good writing is reading some random bullshit off wikipedia and combining it with a song you heard to make the GOAT shonen series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Going back a little further, I started reading Moon by George Akiyama. Figured I wanted to see some of what another of the big names in early manga's work looked like and I wanted to see some of the earliest mech stuff. Two birds, one stone.

In the likely event you've never heard of Moon, it's a proto-mech manga, like Giant Robo or Tesujin, from the days before Mazinger defined the genre. In fact, it was one of the last In it a multi-billionaire makes a giant robot for JUSTICE, and decides the best way to ensure it isn't used for evil is to give control of it to a bunch of elementary school kids. And I do mean a bunch. Nine kids all have to agree, and then they can send the robot to attack using a psychic link. If they don't think at once, the robot doesn't do crap. It is, perhaps, the worst control system I've ever seen for a giant robot, even aside from the issue that the kids don't ride in the robot, and thus have no protection from, say, bullets.

It's also bad for the narrative. Getter Robo only needs three pilots, and it still spaces them out. You get to know Ryoma, and then once you're onboard for karate psycopath action, the manga escalates to Actual Terrorist Hayato Jin, which sets you up to appreciate Musashi's good natured idiocy as a contrast. Here, though, you need to get nine characters defined immediately, and you need to keep them all around any time you want an action scene with the robot.

Here, you have nine characters, and not one personality between them, solving problems that do not seem well suited to giant robot based solutions.

Interesting to see early evolutions of the form, but it definitely looks like a bit of a dead end line so far.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's the manga that heavily inspired Bokurano, wasn't it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

That's the manga that heavily inspired Bokurano, wasn't it?

Yep.

Got halfway through it, and it continues to have no personality for most of the cast beyond "plucky". Moon also shoots lasers when it's a full moon, because... okay, I'm going to pause again to talk about just how good the "Dead mad scientist" origin is for classic super robots, because it's very good for why the robot exists, why there aren't any others, and how it can pull new powers out of its butt. Here, though, it was just paid for by some rich guy, which raises the question of why Howard Hughes didn't have one, and makes it getting more powers in the light of the full moon feel much more arbitrary.

Upside, it fights a giant cyborg ape with those lasers, so... I guess that's good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Howard Hughes didn't have one

He did tho