Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sub Rosa posted:

Remember when I said chess.com doesn't ban people unless they have evidence strong enough to take it to court? That means chess.com has evidence Hans has cheated on their platform more than what Hans admitted in that interview. Full stop.

Why is that? Is eating a chess.com ban likely to tank someone's career in that the best players play there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Danny sometimes streams "State of Chess.com" streams that can include a section on fairplay. Which is where I'm pulling the "only if they have evidence strong enough to hold up in court" standard comes from.

Being banned from chess.com is certainly something that would impact a player's reputation, and in terms of getting invitations to events, reputation is very important. And in terms of a career, getting invitations is very important.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

neaden posted:

Oh cool, accusations are proof now, good to know.

Whatever chesscom has is proof enough for them. We don't know what exactly they have but I doubt they are taking this lightly.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Chromatics posted:

Whatever chesscom has is proof enough for them. We don't know what exactly they have but I doubt they are taking this lightly.

Sure, a company that just bought Magnus' chess app would never do something to make their cash cow happy, private companies always act in the interest of justice and fairness. I'm sure chess.com has secret proof that Hans cheated on an OTB tournament they didn't run but just won't reveal it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://twitter.com/HansMokeNiemann/status/1567301263267696640?s=20&t=0PyFSFPEislWg2EEqB3YPA

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
get their asses hans

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

neaden posted:

that’s right

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Sub Par posted:

All this focus on postgame interviews just reminds me of the best postgame interview of all time courtesy of Vasyl Ivanchuk. This is the kind of GM poo poo that blows my mind.

Also, super proud that I share Ivanchuk's approach to prep: "My preparation was, ok, I will play e4 and we will see what will happen."

This was phenomenal to watch, thanks for sharing.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
did he use his fake accent in the interview he did today or is he back to speaking in his normal style?

The fake accent and the incoherent post game analysis is something that is weirding people out (obviously) but given that this guy is reputedly a massive troll I could see him doing that just to gently caress with the broadcast or because he thought it was funny lol. Like It's almost too far the other direction, because any pro player (up to and including players much weaker than Hans as noted in this thread) could give a better summary of their game than what he's been doing.

I am more inclined to believe the reactions of the other top players in the tournament.. as pointed out, the cheating could literally be as simple as some sort of signal (electronic or otherwise) that lets him know when the opponent has made a poor move and there's something to be exploited. And as Eric Hansen mentioned just the knowledge that you are playing against someone who you believe to be cheating is more than enough to tilt you off your game and to make you play much weaker than your ability.

Magnus has had embarrassing loses before and it's very likely that he's played people that he's believed to be cheating (one way or another) before and he's never withdrawn from a tournament. There is something up here for sure.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Niemann's long term troll job resulting in him getting himself banned from chess is among the funnier possibilities. Lets you know that goons are still out there.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

neaden posted:

Sure, a company that just bought Magnus' chess app would never do something to make their cash cow happy, private companies always act in the interest of justice and fairness. I'm sure chess.com has secret proof that Hans cheated on an OTB tournament they didn't run but just won't reveal it.

Although they don't publicize the details, it's not like chess.com is using some super-double-secret algorithm to catch cheaters. The basics are well-known: does the selected move the top engine moves weirdly often, is the timing of the moves unusually lengthy even when only one move is reasonable, how is centipawn loss statistically distributed, how are move ranks statistically distributed, etc. There are AIs like Irwin that automate a lot of this. A GM who knows what playing a human GM "feels" like is usually pretty reliable too, although a tired and peevish GM could certainly get it wrong.

So far no evidence has been presented in either direction, but the as-played moves in the tournament should give plenty of data that chess experts will probably be able to use pretty effectively to prove or eliminate the possibility of cheating.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Starsfan posted:

I am more inclined to believe the reactions of the other top players in the tournament.. as pointed out, the cheating could literally be as simple as some sort of signal (electronic or otherwise) that lets him know when the opponent has made a poor move and there's something to be exploited. And as Eric Hansen mentioned just the knowledge that you are playing against someone who you believe to be cheating is more than enough to tilt you off your game and to make you play much weaker than your ability.

That could literally be said about any player at any tournament.
Lets go over some facts.
1. Carlsen has not actually accused Hans of cheating, or said he belives Hans cheated.
2. The organizers and arbitrators of the tournament have not accused Hans of cheating or said that they believe that he cheated.
3. Hans was searched every day of the tournament along with his possessions and nothing suspicious was discovered.
4. There are no spectators or coaches in the room with the players who could pass along a signal.
5. Based on their ratings there is about a 7% chance that Hans would win against Magnus with Magnus on white. You could, and I probably would, say the actual probability is lower then that but it isn't some huge unprecedented upset.
6. Hans' blitz rating OTB has stayed consistently slightly below his classical as they have both climbed: https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2093596/chart

On the other hand we have insinuation, speculation, and a total absence of any evidence or anyone really willing to put their repuation on the line with an accusation, instead you have people like Hikaru using weasel language to talk about how other people are saying he's cheating without actually coming out and saying it themselves.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

neaden posted:

Lets go over some facts.
1. Carlsen has not actually accused Hans of cheating, or said he belives Hans cheated.
2. The organizers and arbitrators of the tournament have not accused Hans of cheating or said that they believe that he cheated.
3. Hans was searched every day of the tournament along with his possessions and nothing suspicious was discovered.
4. There are no spectators or coaches in the room with the players who could pass along a signal.
5. Based on their ratings there is about a 7% chance that Hans would win against Magnus with Magnus on white. You could, and I probably would, say the actual probability is lower then that but it isn't some huge unprecedented upset.
6. Hans' blitz rating OTB has stayed consistently slightly below his classical as they have both climbed: https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2093596/chart

On the other hand we have insinuation, speculation, and a total absence of any evidence or anyone really willing to put their repuation on the line with an accusation, instead you have people like Hikaru using weasel language to talk about how other people are saying he's cheating without actually coming out and saying it themselves.

I will put my reputation on the line.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

it has been a banner weekend for world champions having meltdowns

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

neaden posted:

Lets go over some facts.

7. Hans admitted to cheating before but says he is now clean which in every sport is lolworthy.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I think chess.com closing Niemann’s account based on OTB events (if that’s truly the extent of it) would be insane if he spent 5 minutes in the toilet with a cell phone between moves. For *these* events? There’s no fuckin way. Feels like an overreaction to protect the playmagnus brand or w/e.

Is he cheating? IMO, someone who has cheated online enough to get solidly busted twice is probably doing something nefarious now if I had to put money on it, but that could be as legal as “got someone to leak magnus’s prep”. Also IMO, gently caress him, should have permabanned him the second time. But I think everyone jumping to agree with what popular streamers are (almost) saying and treating it as a clear-cut proof of guilt is very bad. All these attacks/criticism are probably not great for any 19-year-old, let alone a chess dork. Misremembering the g3 game is an ugly misstep but if you were gonna lie, why not just say it’s a novelty you found in prep. I truly believe he thought he remembered it from that 2018 Magnus game; It’s not like that can’t be obviously checked.

Anyway this is the most interesting chess has been in a while and they hooked me, I’ll tune in for the rest of the cup.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Lid posted:

7. Hans admitted to cheating before but says he is now clean which in every sport is lolworthy.

8. they instituted a 15 minute delay on the game broadcasts the same day magnus dropped out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lid posted:

I used to cheat. I mean I still do, but I used to, too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

neaden posted:

Somehow, out of everyone in this thread, you come across as the conspiracy theorist

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Here is the chess.com State of Chess.com I talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRihGdvT20s&t=2626s

I timestamped to where he starts the section of fairplay. 48:05 is where he says the specific line about being being willing to go to court.

I can't say I'm sure he cheated OTB. But based on this chess.com is very very sure he has cheated more than what he admitted yesterday. And as a cheater, his credibility is so low that if he lied about how much and when he cheated online, it's easy to doubt he isn't also cheating about cheating OTB, especially with how suspicious some of the interviews have been.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

it has been a banner weekend for world champions having meltdowns

V for Vegas posted:

I used to cheat. I mean I still do, but I used to, too.

Lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

neaden posted:

Hans is a weird guy but without any proof all these people dogpiling him for cheating with accusations and innuendo is really gross.

neaden posted:

I'm sorry but is your theory basically they he has just always been cheating without getting caught, including when he's played blitz at a high level? And been able to fool everyone this entire time until he slipped up? As compared to the other explanation that he gave a weird and awkward interview just like all the weird and awkward interviews he gave at crypto cup for instance?
If he did cheat online, which is very possible but I have seen no proof of yet, that's still very different then cheating in person which requires a whole different set of skills and planning and I've seen no evidence that it occurred.

neaden posted:

If the evidence is he gave a weird interview and may have cheated online, which I still can't find official confirmation of, then that's just gossip about a teenager.

neaden posted:

Be specific then. What do you think is going on and why do you think it

neaden posted:

neaden posted:

neaden posted:

Lets go over some facts.

Welcome to the chess thread! Whats your favorite opening to use?

Mine is probably the Kings Indian Defense, but thats mostly because I dont have any other response to 1. d4

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The correct response to 1.d4 is to go for a baltic and then when it doesn't work you swear to never play it again but forget before next time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
How many people actually play the good line against the Baltic and how many just go huh?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I've been playing 1.d4 exclusively for a year and had never heard of or encountered the Baltic so I would definitely recommend it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All I know for sure is that the issue is with the opening and not my skill.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Control Volume posted:

Mine is probably the Kings Indian Defense, but thats mostly because I dont have any other response to 1. d4

I like the Italian mostly. I'm still trying to focus on principals more than an opening though since at my level careful play still seems more important than spending too much time learning lines.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been playing 1d4 for a long time. I used to have a good response for the baltic, but I just noticed that I have forgotten it because I haven't seen the opening in a long time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

How many people actually play the good line against the Baltic and how many just go huh?

All I can say is I contribute to the latter

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Pretty sure the good line is something like ... Bf5 cxd5 Bxb1 Qa4+ c6 Rxb1

I'm sure there's more.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Hand Knit posted:

I love how Sachdev has to keep changing hands on the microphone because her arms are getting tired but Ivanchuk just keeps going. Very happy that arguably the weirdest elite player is weird in a delightful way rather than a sinister one.

Someone in the comments timestamp linked all the mic hand changes. This is definitely one of those videos where reading the comments is actually encouraged.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I dunno, Hans seems like a genuine to me v:shobon:v

If he was actually able to somehow find a way to cheat in this tourney, that would probably be a bigger accomplishment than actually winning games in the tourney straight up

Hikaru has been the biggest gatekeeper and drama chaser in the whole twitch and chess community since forever and it's hilarious seeing the meltdowns across the board

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Control Volume posted:

I also switched to KID solely because it's the only opening that's felt good against the London, which is all people seem to want to play.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just play the englund. it's awful, but completely worth it for the like 10% of folks who premove 2. Bf4

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

I dunno, Hans seems like a genuine to me v:shobon:v

If he was actually able to somehow find a way to cheat in this tourney, that would probably be a bigger accomplishment than actually winning games in the tourney straight up

Hikaru has been the biggest gatekeeper and drama chaser in the whole twitch and chess community since forever and it's hilarious seeing the meltdowns across the board

In the interview I saw he says he cheated, when he was 12. That seems kind of irrelevant.

I'm also generally inclined to believe stories of Mangus Carlsen being an rear end in a top hat. My sister once spent much of a night out in Oslo with him becuase one of her friends had some connection to him (family connection or friends, something like that) and she basically says he's the most loathsome person she's ever met.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Randarkman posted:

In the interview I saw he says he cheated, when he was 12. That seems kind of irrelevant.

I'm also generally inclined to believe stories of Mangus Carlsen being an rear end in a top hat. My sister once spent much of a night out in Oslo with him becuase one of her friends had some connection to him (family connection or friends, something like that) and she basically says he's the most loathsome person she's ever met.

He also admitted to cheating when he was 16, which is about two to three years ago.

From the aftermath of the Anish Giri twitter "hack" drama, it sort of came out that Carlsen is an alcoholic with an addiction to strip clubs, and that this is considered an open secret. He really is the Mozart of chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I have another question out of the consequences of all of this: apparently multiple (maybe even "many") titled players have had accounts banned for cheating, and though it's kept hush hush evidently it's not a secret among GMs. Isn't that a ticking time bomb, then? Because if past online cheating is accepted as suitable evidence, and these players are allowed to continue playing OTB with no repercussions as long as they admit to it and apologize, what's stopping this from happening again when one of them over-performs?