Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A Bakers Cousin posted:

about that sealife :(

i assume they're gonna be doin great from all the new sea :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Does this mean there will be more crabs? *invests in batteries*

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stereotype posted:

i assume they're gonna be doin great from all the new sea :)

And it will be a nice warm acid bath for them! Win win!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if there's anything i know about batteries, it's that they are made up of lead, acid, and crabs. so we're basically turning the ocean into a big battery? drat maybe humanity is smarter than i thought

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
horseshoe crab blood farms running dry :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

This still ends with "there's still time! If we set up early warning systems then we can do something!"

lol

lmao

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

unwantedplatypus posted:

We don't have any data for massive glaciers falling into the sea, so really how can say either way? The universe remains a mystery.

Wasn't there an article recently about how it turns out that the way they calculated iceberg melting for climate modeling had been wrong for as long as they've been doing it

Anyway my girlfriend just got back from having to go to a funeral in LA and I feel like the thread would appreciate this exchange where she was considering a nap at a rest stop but was slightly worried about if falling asleep in the car in the heat would be safe.
I grew up in California and the place seems a little more hosed than i remember

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

on one hand a meltwater pulse would be beyond disastrous because of how much infrastructure and habitation we have near coasts but on the other hand I'm real loving tired of hearing that Al Gore said Florida would be underwater already

Unironically that would be The Event that changes how everyone in the world views climate change

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Kind of hard not to notice when the coastal cities all drown and the purple fog starts to rise off the water and kill everything that breathes it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
IT'S CALLED THE TIDE

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's hard to say for sure. Estimates vary wildly between 4-7 hours.

wait wait wait, for real?! lmao

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Microplastics posted:

IT'S CALLED THE TIDE

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Car Hater posted:

Kind of hard not to notice when the coastal cities all drown and the purple fog starts to rise off the water and kill everything that breathes it

Enter the Fun Zone

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

unwantedplatypus posted:

Enter the Fun Zone

Lol now that I think of it, might as well try to go get high on Happy Fumes in the Fun Zone, world's ended anyway

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Torpor posted:

enjoying a big debate about whether grocery bags are carbon neutral or not, maybe one day we will get to mechanized agriculture

Malthusian! Malthusian!!!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
There was a whole stack of grocery bags in one of the carts in the corral yesterday, I took it home to play with it. Very thick and satisfying to slap on a table but hell if I know what I'm going to do with it.

I'd find some wildlife to feed it to but that poo poo disappeared years ago

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Car Hater posted:

There was a whole stack of grocery bags in one of the carts in the corral yesterday, I took it home to play with it. Very thick and satisfying to slap on a table but hell if I know what I'm going to do with it.

I'd find some wildlife to feed it to but that poo poo disappeared years ago

I use them for trash bags :shrug:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I had not heard of this wood pellet industry because nobody does that around here, but apparently this is a big thing in Europe and viewed as a good alternative clean fuel. Turns out to be straight bullshit, they are just clear cutting forests and grinding the whole tree up when the price is good

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1567445108487819265

Love all the unnecessary steps to make a "green" product.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i vaguely remember them also doing poo poo like importing trees from halfway across the world so they can burn them as clean energy biomass

lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

IT'S CALLED THE TIDE

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

IT'S CALLED THE TIDE

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Sep 7, 2022

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Dog Case posted:

Anyway my girlfriend just got back from having to go to a funeral in LA and I feel like the thread would appreciate this exchange where she was considering a nap at a rest stop but was slightly worried about if falling asleep in the car in the heat would be safe.

lol! California on my mind.

A few years ago we were camping at a place somewhere in southwestern Cali called Success Lake. We pitched our tent in the "shade" but it didn't matter, it was like trying to sleep on a stove. Not a restful night.

Didn't help that Success Lake was overrun by giant cockroaches. There was also a huge fat happy toad in the showers. Not sure where she fit in the metaphor but she'd definitely found her niche.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

horseshoe crab blood farms running dry :(

apparently they’re not crabs. have some horseshoe theory:

quote:

The subphylum Chelicerata (from New Latin, from French chélicère, from Ancient Greek χηλή (khēlḗ) 'claw, chela', and κέρας (kéras) 'horn')[1] constitutes one of the major subdivisions of the phylum Arthropoda. It contains the sea spiders, horseshoe crabs, and arachnids (including harvestmen, scorpions, spiders, solifuges, ticks, and mites, among many others), as well as a number of extinct lineages, such as the eurypterids (sea scorpions) and chasmataspidids

e: this thing is cool

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

r.e.>i

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

apparently they’re not crabs. have some horseshoe theory:

e: this thing is cool

why's he going in for a handshake

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

smoobles posted:

why's he going in for a handshake

How would you greet it? Kiss its feet?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Dog Case posted:

Wasn't there an article recently about how it turns out that the way they calculated iceberg melting for climate modeling had been wrong for as long as they've been doing it

Nah that looks like the high desert there shouldn't be trees there at all except for Joshua trees and they don't exactly have shade either

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/KClarkWx/status/1567554056717213697

probably fine

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I was just reading about this a few months ago, so many people live in the lahar flow zones of Rainier it's kind of crazy:

When you climb up Mt Rainier you hear rockslides from all the rumbling and movement near the top, it's really cool.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I'd wait until the USGS upgrades the threat level beyond a green before I start to worry about Mount Rainier

https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mount-rainier

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I'd wait until the USGS upgrades the threat level beyond a green before I start to worry about Mount Rainier

https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mount-rainier

yeah better wait for the government to decide if a threat is bad. don’t come crying here when it explodes faster than expected ;)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/USGSVolcanoes/status/1567560778840178688

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
god drat it i came here just to post about mt rainier

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
*runs into thread panting* mt rainiFUCK

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

reporting all these posts because they're about geologic collapse not biosphere

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I live in Tacoma so plz do :getin:

Trabisnikof posted:

reporting all these posts because they're about geologic collapse not biosphere

Imagine the amount of carbon it could put into the atmosphere

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

yeah better wait for the government to decide if a threat is bad. don’t come crying here when it explodes faster than expected ;)

When it comes to a volcano that is as closely monitored as Mount Rainier, yeah kind of. When a volcano is properly monitored there are ton of indicators that will tell whether or not a volcano is getting ready to erupt. Unless there is a significant magma intrusion, with accompanying earthquakes and land uplift, there isn't going to be any eruption. If there is an ongoing magma intrusion, then it's going to be detected in a volcano as closely monitored as Mount Rainier. They're never going to be able to say "the volcano is going to erupt on September 9th at 19:43 pacific time" or something like that, but if there's a magma intrusion causing a significant risk of eruption it's going to be picked up on, and the volcanos threat level will be increased.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

err posted:

Imagine the amount of carbon it could put into the atmosphere

a major volcano eruption could cool the climate a bit

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Trabisnikof posted:

a major volcano eruption could cool the climate a bit

they said the same thing about the tonga, and .... uh ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mawarannahr posted:

Don't worry lava flows only affect men who have sex with men