Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I've said this before, but the problem with Giovanna's skills isn't the terrain restrictions, it's the zero vertical tolerance, significantly limiting her effective range on almost every map in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yeah, fully buffed and leveled up she's fantastic; her ultimate has infinite range and high power, it goes great with the ability that boosts her damage on TP, and the height tolerance isn't terrible (+/- 2) on most maps. Maps with a ton of height variation are for Decimal to utterly destroy.

I gotta say I use every character frequently (I've got everyone at this point except Cordelia, Travis, Milo, and Avlora) and every character so far has generally pulled their own weight and absolutely served as MVP for at least one battle or another. Maxwell is definitely my next promote (only a handful left of those as well)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I also think Giovanna is kind of underwhelming for the reasons mentioned even after promotion and full upgrades. Rock Throw is weaker than attacks from most of the archers and her other attacks take too much set up. I think she would be fun if she set the terrain rather than having to stand on the right terrain to use her abilities. Would give her an interesting niche and make her a bit of a red mage who specializes in line magic rather than the typical plus shape.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Setting her up for success is a bit of pain but it's not bad. Ezana, by making water everywhere, makes her a solid healer in a pinch, who can run with the horses and still get a good hit in occasion. She and Corentin can become a slow wall of icy destruction when paired together. She needs Freddie's Fire guard, to make use of that synergy, but it's there. Frankly, it's the one I find the most inconvenient to get going. Still if she happens to be in a fire spot, you got a powerful spell on hand.

All that with a surprisingly solid physical attacker too boot. Like not the best, but totally reasonable consider she's a mage.

I personally love all the movement she gets, it's super fun.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Decimal is probably the character who's power surprised me most, even without the height skill the super-low instadeath chance on 5 led to a surprising amount of really stupid victories. On Hard especially even 1 unit getting vaporized is such a massive tempo swing in your favor. And once he gets height he just becomes death incarnate on any map where enemies start high above you, which for late-game mental battles is almost all of them. And even on normal maps just hitting 2-3 enemies every couple turns really adds up over time.

He's a good boy who does his best.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Yinlock posted:

Decimal is probably the character who's power surprised me most, even without the height skill the super-low instadeath chance on 5 led to a surprising amount of really stupid victories. On Hard especially even 1 unit getting vaporized is such a massive tempo swing in your favor. And once he gets height he just becomes death incarnate on any map where enemies start high above you, which for late-game mental battles is almost all of them. And even on normal maps just hitting 2-3 enemies every couple turns really adds up over time.

He's a good boy who does his best.

Just gonna repost this (chapter 12(?) spoilers): https://clips.twitch.tv/DullGracefulGaurPJSugar-GwXFmgqOpJ1d1oBo

That actually turned that battle around for me, thanks to some key whiffs and lazy strategizing on my part.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's probably Gio's biggest problem since she's the equivalent to Quahog and Decimal. The latter's niche is real apparent and very easy to exploit and make powerful. The former is far harder to take advantage, but you can tell he has insane potential because his powers are just so out there.

And then you get Gio who's a fancy robust mage. She doesn't quite match the other two "equivalent" offerings, but she definitely has a place. Like Jens is all about traps but can also throw a punch. Gio can hit pretty ok AND has some nifty spells, if you bother setting them up. Her movement is insane though and I love that about her. It makes her a really interesting unit to play around with.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
drat, I just got to the Booker battle and these mid (?) game fights are no joke if you don't have a good cheese for it like the one against Avlora in the village. Managed to just barely kludge through with only 4 members left. The earlier battles didn't leave me nearly as beaten up.

Really liking how each utterly random person to join you has their own niche where they're useful; I'm excited to figure out where to use the shaman lady I just got. Not yet sure where the merchant fits in my lineup; he seems to be a tank type?

Also, Anna's cool but her Remain and Recover skill seems pointless; if I'm well stocked on healing items (and I tend to be because I farm money on that one mock battle) I can move and heal more HP than what that skill would have recovered had I stayed still.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Argue posted:

drat, I just got to the Booker battle and these mid (?) game fights are no joke if you don't have a good cheese for it like the one against Avlora in the village. Managed to just barely kludge through with only 4 members left. The earlier battles didn't leave me nearly as beaten up.

Really liking how each utterly random person to join you has their own niche where they're useful; I'm excited to figure out where to use the shaman lady I just got. Not yet sure where the merchant fits in my lineup; he seems to be a tank type?

Also, Anna's cool but her Remain and Recover skill seems pointless; if I'm well stocked on healing items (and I tend to be because I farm money on that one mock battle) I can move and heal more HP than what that skill would have recovered had I stayed still.

Losing units is fun. You can be a bit more reckless and if the trade off is worth it go for it! I'm a bit annoyed since I'm trying for a no-death run, and turtling is a very effective strategy but not that interesting.

It's good if she's in danger. Take cover, recoup a bit and rinse and repeat. It allows her to act more on her own, but it does mean things go slower. I always thought she paired wonderfully with Milo. Their joint mobility is awesome.

Lyle is a mage tank. Not that he can take a lot of hits, but he can infuriate them from a distance which makes them useless. Also, his passive allows to grind for cash rather easily if you're obsessive about buying materials like me.

Ezana is pretty interesting. Lightning is insanely useful as it causes massive damage and can paralyze. Her wind spells are secondary to the fact she creates water that can be used to spread lightning, which isn't as damaging as you think but the paralyze chance remains which can flip the tide in a battle instantaneously.

Plot-wise:I'm giving up the Roselle to get Travis, and the game at least doesn't pull any punches in telling you how much you suck. At least there's that.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Giovanna was insanely powerful when I did New Game+ female-only playthrough. On a whole bunch of maps, I gave her the "move first accessory," had her move enough to proc Trekking for TP. Then on her next turn, her gauge was full and she unleashed Gaia's Roar. Had Medina item her, used the TP-up quietus, and she was able to Gaia's Roar again on her 3rd turn. This took out about half a dozen units in the bridge fight and basically the whole right side of the map in the Source fight.

So yeah, Giovanna takes effort, but of all the "takes effort" characters, I think she has the best payoff.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I blew up the dam. The first time I went with Roland and invaded the castle. The second path there was fun, and I had a nice hectic time in the middle, pleasantly surprised that the boss didn't approach nor did his mooks, so it was a simple mop-up exercise.

The first path though is very cool. I loved the stealth aspect of it and went full MGS to complete it. I took a long time ferrying characters with Quahog and Hossabara tossing people through safe areas, but one enemy switch with Q and two full bursts from Anna and Trish took down the sole enemy in the area at the time.

It was very satisfying but I also got 0 award whatsoever. No spoils no kudos, so it's kind of a weird mission since what's encouraged nets you nothing.

I may run it again in a later playthrough, just to fight my way through it, but it's subsequent mission seems very hard. Erika and Thalas on a small bridge? I know I can do it, but I'm trying to do without losing anyone so I'm not quite sure how to manage it at the moment.

Which leads me to the question: How does shoving work?

I know the units that can do it and the spaces they push for on average. However, I know you can't shove through people, and if someone is in the targets destination they'll stop before falling. Can you shove through height differences if so how many? And if you do shove someone into someone else, does the latter person move or no? Thanks!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You have it described mostly right: I'm not sure of the distance, but, once pushed, a unit will travel until they reach max distance (like 3 tiles), hit a wall (one higher elevation or more), another unit (damaging them both), or drop to a lower elevation, taking fall damage if the height difference is greater than their jump stat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Prowler posted:

You have it described mostly right: I'm not sure of the distance, but, once pushed, a unit will travel until they reach max distance (like 3 tiles), hit a wall (one higher elevation or more), another unit (damaging them both), or drop to a lower elevation, taking fall damage if the height difference is greater than their jump stat.

Yeah ok, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if they'd move over a one elevation or not. I was hoping they would but no such luck. I think Erador has the strongest shove of 5(!) spaces, though it moves him one and of course Jens and his drat traps with another fiver. Hossabara is 3 with a move, and Roland is 3 with no move. Oh and Rudy with 2 but it's ranged. I think that's everyone?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mustard Iceman posted:

Giovanna was insanely powerful when I did New Game+ female-only playthrough. On a whole bunch of maps, I gave her the "move first accessory," had her move enough to proc Trekking for TP. Then on her next turn, her gauge was full and she unleashed Gaia's Roar. Had Medina item her, used the TP-up quietus, and she was able to Gaia's Roar again on her 3rd turn. This took out about half a dozen units in the bridge fight and basically the whole right side of the map in the Source fight.

So yeah, Giovanna takes effort, but of all the "takes effort" characters, I think she has the best payoff.

Quahaug is still undefeated in that category, since his "takes effort" payoff is "every enemy you can reach dies at no cost, also everyone has invincibility + autores if you're patient enough"

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yes! Shove Thalas off the bridge and block the ladder so he can't get back!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I may run it again in a later playthrough, just to fight my way through it, but it's subsequent mission seems very hard. Erika and Thalas on a small bridge? I know I can do it, but I'm trying to do without losing anyone so I'm not quite sure how to manage it at the moment.

I know the units that can do it and the spaces they push for on average. However, I know you can't shove through people, and if someone is in the targets destination they'll stop before falling. Can you shove through height differences if so how many? And if you do shove someone into someone else, does the latter person move or no? Thanks!

Generally the safest way to beat that mission is weirdly enough an all-out offense on Thalas' side of the map. Thalas himself can be immediately neutralized by either a lucky first-turn sleep or a Jen trap booting him off the edge on his first move, both are inconsistant but having that rear end in a top hat out of your hair for a while is massive.

Also yeah you can shove through the tiny height change on that mission.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 6, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm playing on normal (trying to not die for that reward), and so far so good, but that map was easier than expected since the enemy just did not advance. They turtled and I went bit by bit. I'm almost at the lvl 50 max, with Benedict and Picco at 38, so I'll have to bum-rush their leveling soon enough. Ben's good, but unless you're feeding him TP, he's far less effective than you'd like since it's sort of a waste to cast a buff, I wish he could get a buff that cost 0 TP or something. The best thing to do with him is get him to 3 TP, and then just cast Bird of Prey until you need Now/Two Actions. Which makes him far better during the first turn, but then costs him a couple of turns otherwise. Piccoletta has uses, but she's just so weak that in this no death run it makes her impossible to use.

I agreed to follow the idiot and boy does Frederica let Serenoa have it. It's both very visceral and pleasing to watch, but ugh, this path sucks. At least the game makes you feel wretched for doing it. There's no question about it, you are the bad guy here.

I ended up getting Travis this run too. I like him! He has a very good and strong steal, vs Trish who needs to basic attack often forgoing a kill, and with the right items can play quite well up front. He's not designed to be a team-player though, which is a pity because no one should go it alone in this game, but I guess if I gave him the Regen item he could maybe just head out on his and do some damage somewhere.

Once I finish this path I'm going for my 3rd run to get Cordelia and see how Ben's plan plays out.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I just did the mental mock battle that unlocks after the golden ending. Overall it was pretty easy and I didn't end up losing anyone. It gets pretty spicy towards the end but just takes way to long to get there. Before the last 15 or so enemies the waves just can't handle the amount of crowd control and damage mitigation a well constructed team can dish out and at that point everyone is so stacked with buffs you can just push through. Giovanna may have actually been the MVP of the fight but that battlefield is tailor made for her and Corentin was dumping ice everywhere so she could use Gelid Barrage when she didn't have a good grass tile to use for Ivy Beam.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm playing on normal (trying to not die for that reward), and so far so good, but that map was easier than expected since the enemy just did not advance. They turtled and I went bit by bit. I'm almost at the lvl 50 max, with Benedict and Picco at 38, so I'll have to bum-rush their leveling soon enough. Ben's good, but unless you're feeding him TP, he's far less effective than you'd like since it's sort of a waste to cast a buff, I wish he could get a buff that cost 0 TP or something. The best thing to do with him is get him to 3 TP, and then just cast Bird of Prey until you need Now/Two Actions. Which makes him far better during the first turn, but then costs him a couple of turns otherwise. Piccoletta has uses, but she's just so weak that in this no death run it makes her impossible to use.

I agreed to follow the idiot and boy does Frederica let Serenoa have it. It's both very visceral and pleasing to watch, but ugh, this path sucks. At least the game makes you feel wretched for doing it. There's no question about it, you are the bad guy here.

I ended up getting Travis this run too. I like him! He has a very good and strong steal, vs Trish who needs to basic attack often forgoing a kill, and with the right items can play quite well up front. He's not designed to be a team-player though, which is a pity because no one should go it alone in this game, but I guess if I gave him the Regen item he could maybe just head out on his and do some damage somewhere.

Once I finish this path I'm going for my 3rd run to get Cordelia and see how Ben's plan plays out.

Not sure if it's a difficulty thing but yeah on Hard they just blast straight at you and you have to neutralize the offensive side entirely in like 1-2 rounds or people start dropping fast

Benedict's one of the few characters who can function at lower levels, mostly because his offensive presence is nonexistant anyway. When properly leveled he can actually take hits though(check that Defense, it's surprisingly big). Also dragon Shield is insanely good on Hard and being able to throw it out turn 1 is huge. Either way getting any stragglers to 50 takes like 5 minutes once you get proper lv50 battles so it's no big deal.

I can't bring myself to do the Stupid rear end in a top hat Run so that branch is just gonna stay withered for me.

dude789 posted:

I just did the mental mock battle that unlocks after the golden ending. Overall it was pretty easy and I didn't end up losing anyone. It gets pretty spicy towards the end but just takes way to long to get there. Before the last 15 or so enemies the waves just can't handle the amount of crowd control and damage mitigation a well constructed team can dish out and at that point everyone is so stacked with buffs you can just push through. Giovanna may have actually been the MVP of the fight but that battlefield is tailor made for her and Corentin was dumping ice everywhere so she could use Gelid Barrage when she didn't have a good grass tile to use for Ivy Beam.

Nice, I couldn't finish that one. I got pretty far into it but got stopped at the point where they just start throwing piles of minibosses at you. It was less of a loss and more of a "gently caress this" I guess.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 7, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's the worst timeline beaten. Now to try the liberty path.

Very excited at NG+3 and seeing that all materials are 99 stock. Making a spread sheet to see what I need to buy and how much it's going to cost and deciding whether I grind for it or just accumulate wealth. I can't help myself!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I still have a few units to max as far as weapons go. I drained the initial stock of Iron, Timber, and Stone, with Timber being the most in demand.

I'm getting the last few units up to 50 and they're interesting.

Rudolph is... not a great archer. He hardly has the range or the mobility the others have and his specials require rather strict line of sight. He's rather beefy though, and with his specials, the push, the trap, and sleep, you get the impression he's supposed to be rather front-line, at least more so than any of the others. In that regard he's handy I guess. Still making him the opposite of Corentin is a real kick in the pants, because one is so much better than the other.

Lionel is still an excellent mage-killer and meat tank, but between rounds of specials he's really not very useful I find. I'm not all that sure what to do with him outside of those situations. He's a bit like Benedict in that regard, a decent support who can't attack for poo poo. Speaking of which, Benedict's best purpose, aside from Now/Double-Act/Dragon Shield is to set up follow up attacks since he's a fine tank.

Piccoletta is good? Decoy remains a fantastic way to preoccupy the enemy and item launcher is decent. Even the basic stones, which aren't too pricey, give her a decent little ranged attack to pepper away at enemies in between. She can be ok for follow-ups thanks to her evasion, but she shouldn't get into that situation. Treat her like a behind the front line archer and she'll do right for you.

I'm still trying to figure out Quahog. He's clearly brilliant, and I can see game-breaking tactics with him, but I don't want to "cheese" the game that way. In the tourney fight I blew through everyone's life taking out Exharme to turn back the turn and laugh as we all went back to normal, sans Exharme. Aside from that and stopping time to get TP and other things, I feel like I can't get a handle on him on a turn to turn basis. Is it worth using his speed or damage spell or like Benedict stock up TP for the big game-changing spells?

Ezana is pretty cut and dry but it's also what makes her the worst mage. Not astonishingly powerful like Fred, or useful like Corentin, or versatile as Narshe, she just sits there with a powerful lightning bolt. Sure rain makes Giovanna a limited healer in a pinch, and on water maps, Ezana is a beast, but otherwise she's a nuke with a cooldown, unless you got a TP battery with her, and I guess that's perfectly enough. She won't kill as much as Fred or Corentin since it's a 1 tile damage, and Narshe can paralyze just as well as she can (and that's the real point of lightning), so you get less bang for your buck but she's there I guess.

And enough has been said about Jens, the guy who is just map dependent but when it comes up just the very best unit in the game. I love the guy, he's merely underleveled due to circumstance.

I guess these underused characters are either too niche, or overlap with more efficient ones ultimately. Excited to choose a true A team though and just wreck this last run before the Golden Run, which I'm doing in hard.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I used Quahog as a backup healer a lot; turn back time on a unit that just got hosed up and they get their HP back.

Rudolph’s traps and push are his best abilities. It’s hard to work but you can chain traps, I think I managed it once where I successfully had Rudolph push a unit into a Jens trap which threw it to a Rudolph trap. Very satisfying.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jury rigging into the breach in this game does sound neat.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://press.uk.square-enix.com/TACTICAL-ROLE-PLAYING-GAME-TRIANGLE-STRATEGY-COMING-TO-PC-ON-OCTOBER-1
steam release on october 13

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Expecting some really mean achievements there hahaha

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I have 3 units left to recruit Milo, Cordelia, and Avlora and I’d like to stockpile the necessary material to upgrade their weapons once I get them. I can’t find info on how much is strictly necessary. Anyone know off hand how much upgrades rise in cost or do I need to try to get 99 of everything?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I have 3 units left to recruit Milo, Cordelia, and Avlora and I’d like to stockpile the necessary material to upgrade their weapons once I get them. I can’t find info on how much is strictly necessary. Anyone know off hand how much upgrades rise in cost or do I need to try to get 99 of everything?

Milo's weapons use Fiber-type materials to unlock abilities. She needs Spider Silk to get her Level 2 weapon and Exotic Flower for Level 3.
Cordelia's weapons use Stone-type materials to unlock abilities. She needs Crystal to get her Level 2 weapon and Exotic Flower for Level 3.
Avlora's weapons use Iron-type materials to unlock abilities. She needs Silver to get Level 2 weapon and Electrum for Level 3.

For each of the Level 1 abilities, you need 2 of the basic material listed above, then 6, then 10, then 10+1 Quality, then 15+1 Quality, a total of 43 basic material plus 2 Quality.
For Level 2 abilities, it's 2 Quality, then 6, then 10, then 10 plus 1 Superior, for a total of 28 Quality and 1 Superior for the row. Avlora needs another 15 Quality and 1 Superior because she has a fifth unlock in her 2nd row.
Level 3's first ability is 2 Superior, then 10 Superior if you really want the 2nd one.

Not sure how many Exotic Flowers you get per playthrough but if you have to choose, Milo's is more valuable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sounds good! I stocked up already on the weapon mats and just realized I need to buy the skill materials. It's low enough numbers that I don't need to "stock up" but can get them on at Lyle's at any moment now. I'm in my 3rd run and he's just fully stocked (until I buy things). I was worried I'd need more than 99, but the numbers aren't bad.

I did grind cash to pretty much buy materials every time they showed up. Doing that I managed to get everyone I had but those 3 characters fully kitted by the time we got to Storming Whiteholm Castle, on the 3rd playthrough. So now, I just need to buy what's necessary when I get the new folks in. I'm running in normal atm to speed things up and I just barely need a healer. I'll up it to hard for the final Golden Route, and then try some mock battles with specific teams.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I have enough medals of valor to get the last of the Chapter 16(?) recruits (except the two on the Golden route), and Piccoletta to Elite. Do you get enough medals to fully upgrade those last two on the way through a 4th run?

Also having done all three of the options between, Dam, Bridge, Tunnel it's incredibly hard to choose which fight I most liked to run for the 4th and final time.

Dam has a very cool first quest, and I cheesed it by going full stealth. I got next to no reward, but I had a great time spending far too many turns, warping, tossing and leaping my assault team towards the goal. I kinda want to do a full on assault to try that out, but the 2nd battle on the bridge is fun but nothing amazing.

Bridge has an enjoyable bridge fight, where you're pincered but again ultimately lackluster, but the 2nd fight is awesome because I haven't seen that setpiece used again, let alone in mock battles. It was a very cool feeling playing it, and I used Decimal like a cannon and insta-killed two hawks by sheer chance (10% of that happening per unit) that pretty much ended the fight in a one blow. I'd love to try that fight again. Plus plot-wise it was terrific. Calling it For You, My Heart removes all subtlety regarding those two characters and it's really rather nice for it to be made so explicit.

Tunnel, my first choice, has a cool first fight and I'll admit, a cool 2nd fight too, but both are rather run-of-the-mill with no truly spectacular set piece. The way you can cheese the 2nd fight in particular is rather funny, and in fact both are rather simple to execute, but there's nothing as amazing as the first mission of Dam or the 2nd of Bridge.

It's not a decision I have to make anytime soon, but I'll have to consider it later.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Ezana is far and away the most disgustingly broken mage in the game.

Actually, reading the writeup on her means that I feel like you've not unlocked her ultimate yet.

It's the best spell in the game with a certain character synergy and even absent it's easily the highest damage output spell in the game on high deployment maps.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Ezana is far and away the most disgustingly broken mage in the game.

Actually, reading the writeup on her means that I feel like you've not unlocked her ultimate yet.

It's the best spell in the game with a certain character synergy and even absent it's easily the highest damage output spell in the game on high deployment maps.

I have I just haven't bothered to use it much yet, and I have used it alongside Quahog, and yes it's insane but like a lot of things that boy does, helps do, it feels like such a ridiculous combo, that it's almost unfair to consider it.

I feel without that failsafe, it's not reliable enough to use, and you can get plenty of mileage just bolting every turn an enemy at a time, since it's such high damage, and it paralyzes when lucky.

But she is what you said, broken, in a fight that I don't need to cheese, I prefer the others since they can either hit more units at once (Fred and Corentin and hell Narve's upgraded wind spell is insane), or just can do everything (Narve).

Though Narve and Ezana not having a way to easily get TP limits my use of them since I feel like I have to dedicate Medina or Julio to them and now you're bringing two characters for one thing, instead of two for two things. That said, mages being as powerful as they are, the tradeoff is almost always worth it.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I have enough medals of valor to get the last of the Chapter 16(?) recruits (except the two on the Golden route), and Piccoletta to Elite. Do you get enough medals to fully upgrade those last two on the way through a 4th run?

Also having done all three of the options between, Dam, Bridge, Tunnel it's incredibly hard to choose which fight I most liked to run for the 4th and final time.

Dam has a very cool first quest, and I cheesed it by going full stealth. I got next to no reward, but I had a great time spending far too many turns, warping, tossing and leaping my assault team towards the goal. I kinda want to do a full on assault to try that out, but the 2nd battle on the bridge is fun but nothing amazing.

Bridge has an enjoyable bridge fight, where you're pincered but again ultimately lackluster, but the 2nd fight is awesome because I haven't seen that setpiece used again, let alone in mock battles. It was a very cool feeling playing it, and I used Decimal like a cannon and insta-killed two hawks by sheer chance (10% of that happening per unit) that pretty much ended the fight in a one blow. I'd love to try that fight again. Plus plot-wise it was terrific. Calling it For You, My Heart removes all subtlety regarding those two characters and it's really rather nice for it to be made so explicit.

Tunnel, my first choice, has a cool first fight and I'll admit, a cool 2nd fight too, but both are rather run-of-the-mill with no truly spectacular set piece. The way you can cheese the 2nd fight in particular is rather funny, and in fact both are rather simple to execute, but there's nothing as amazing as the first mission of Dam or the 2nd of Bridge.

It's not a decision I have to make anytime soon, but I'll have to consider it later.

Bridge is a fun fight (esp. for unleashing Gaia's Roar or throwing people off the top like they're Russian politicians), and the follow-up fight to bridge is one of the most fun maps in the game. Absolutely the route I'm taking next time I play through. Only downside is that you get to see a certain character being the dumbest pile of bricks in the world (yet again).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah it's got a good chance of being my Golden Route mission. Roland's choice is the one I like the most in sense of conviction, but I like this one sense it's Fred's idea and she has the best ideas, and also it segues nicely into Avlora actually being alive, and thus recruited. As much as I want to "beat" Dam through fighting, I also hate the consequences of that choice.

Speaking of Benedict, I started that path now, and HOLY poo poo, dude is a madman. Fred's path is clearly the most righteous, but crushing Hyzante is going to feel delicious.

I need to really make an effort on my final run to make saves to easily access different battles, especially the ones who don't show up again in mock battles. I have a save for each of the final fights, but stupidly not the ones preceding them.

Anyway, on the first fight of this path I'm going hard on magic and Giovanna, Ice and Fire baby. Do Fire Amulets also decrease the damage you take from being on fire? I don't really feel like bothering to set up Fire Absorption and was wondering if there was a way to mitigate that damage for certain individuals?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Yep. My Golden Route was Surrender Roland + Team Up With Avlora in Chapter 7/8, as that makes more story sense as to Avlora seeing the value in joining with Wolffort in the Golden Route, and then also the Bridge route in 13 because it also fit with the developments of Golden Route.

Haven't experimented with mitigating fire tile damage like that. I do know what I like about Ben's Route is that the first two fights are ideal for Gio's Ivy Beam.

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 23, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ooh boy, that first level Hard Mode is going to be tough.

It was going ok and then I lost Fred. I figure you're meant to prioritize the mooks since they're quicker to kill and delete enemy action, but gently caress the bosses hit hard and move so many times in a row.

I gave Roland the suite of Resurrection Earrings, Serenoa carries the plume (which never works... ok that's a lie I had him resurrected once via Quietus and then it worked once). Ben's pretty much using items until I can get dragon shield, and has the vitality band. Teleported Roland closer to have a more effective wall, but I don't know if that's the best plan. I may give the earrings instead to Fred since Trish has pretty bad aim, and missed Roland several times, so I'm thinking with some Evasion bands he may not actually hit her?

Going to try to play keep away with her and him next round so I don't waste QP on getting him over.

I'm sure after that it'll be smooth sailing.

---

The final paths are interesting. Morality is obviously the best for plot, but I think for map. They're tough levels, but they are rather interesting. Utility has some cool map design but gently caress that plot, and it's actually rather easy which is probably the point. Liberty... was actually super dull. It was nice to face-stomp the enemy (thank you Giovanna) but none of the stages are particularly exciting. Going to try to have some saves set up for some of the cooler fights. If I can ever get to them.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
How many playthroughs will I need to get all the characters? I'm about 75% through my first playthrough on Normal, and I was planning on turning it to Very Easy to collect the rest of the characters before doing a final Golden Route playthrough on Hard.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Argue posted:

How many playthroughs will I need to get all the characters? I'm about 75% through my first playthrough on Normal, and I was planning on turning it to Very Easy to collect the rest of the characters before doing a final Golden Route playthrough on Hard.

4. Maybe more depending on what choice you make in Chapter 15 the first time around.

Chapter 15(?) has 4 different characters two of which are dependent on what's been done on the in an earlier chapter (11 I think).

You'll have most of the cast by the 2nd run though excepting a Golden Route exclusive and those Chapter 15 units.

I suggest once you get through it just look up the Golden Route and do the opposite, so you don't risk doing things too often too many times. Keep in mind that there are also different maps for every choice, so if you want to see that content it helps to plan things out a bit.

You can keep it on normal however. At higher/max levels your team is pretty much a steam-roller. It'll require you to probably have a healer, but otherwise you can be rather aggressive.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Poque posted:

Expecting some really mean achievements there hahaha

Utility route achivement: you idiot, you absolute dumbass

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1850510/TRIANGLE_STRATEGY/

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman