Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Yvonmukluk posted:

I must admit that confused me too. Why'd his mind go there of all people (not that Tura Satana isn't an individual to be proud to be compared to, she's just not someone I'd ever associate with Lottie)?

Lottie's got the hair, the spunk, and the dangerous curves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Dean has filled poor Glenn full of mead and now all he can do is inexpertly attack a kebab. A sore head tomorrow, but an overwhelming sense of a job well done.

I got nervous after making this comic that “happy as a sandboy” is racist, but apparently a sandboy was a youth paid to collect dry sand from coastal caves to spread on saloon bar floors. I know. Dodged a bullet there.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
So it'll be Dean vs that bus lady?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Numero6 posted:

So it'll be Dean vs that bus lady?

And may god have mercy of everyone in that bus.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I always liked the term “the catbird seat”, though it’s not in common usage these days, so it’s not a great one to drop in the supermarket when making idle chitty chat (oiseau) with the cashier. Its origin is a short story by James Thurber.

The number 60 bus was the first local bus a lot of Sheffield students would catch when they started university in the city, as it would run past the halls of residence in Broomhill, to the University, into the city and sometimes beyond. I felt a pang of sadness when I learned that the route was replaced in 2009.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what are these idiots even doing now

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what are these idiots even doing now

They need a way for The Nuisance and Dean to meet. The Nuisance always sits beside Claire, so she's moved to the back of the bus where there are more seats, and lured Dean in with a mix of her pixy-ish looks and bee-themed jumper.

I assume the plan is to get Dean and the Nuisance talking, then leave the bus

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
why don't they just tell dean - mrs groate this plan seems to have a lot of moving parts it doesn't need.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Because Dean is incapable of doing anything helpful on purpose.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Claire has given her all for the cause. She’s very close to irreparably broken, by the looks of things.

“Northern giant hornet” is the new name for the Asian giant hornet. This is a bang-up-to-the-minute edict from the Entomological Society of America (ESA). Whatever the nabobs of insect life want to call it, you wouldn’t want one to join you when you were sitting on a bench, innocently drinking an orangeade.

VERY SCARY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wziBFwgCf8

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Aren’t a wry neck and a torticollis the same thing? Yes. Here I am trying to recreate the phenomenon where one thing is understood as two things, almost identical, but somehow discrete from one another. The best example of this is how as a teenager I didn’t join the spoken word “misled” and the written word “misled” together. When I read “misled” I thought “my-zelled” and thought it meant, specifically, “confused”. Which is clearly what I was. This issue was genuinely resolved by my purchase for 99p of Celine Dion’s minor hit, “Misled” as a CD single, an enjoyably out-of-character voyage into new jill swing by the Canadian balladeer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I hate to say it, but it's actually and genuinely touching to see Dean Thompson this happy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, the schedule changed. Again.

John A posted:

Let’s come together, right now, in sweet harmony. Dean Thompson has never been happier, he’s smiling so much in panel six that he appears to be in pain. But that’s not pain, it’s ecstasy. Is it right or wrong? Try to find a place that we all belong. Be as one!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Play that funky euphonium, Dean. Fresh fields await for all concerned.

That’s it for Solver: Green Door, which ties up Solver volume 1 (Circus Windows, Author Unknown, and this three-part series of specials).

Unfortunately, there will now be a break in service. I’d hoped to avoid a webcomic pause but writing a new four-issue print series, the ravages of Covid, plus unanticipated personal issues, ate my cherished two-month comic buffer. I tried to make some strips to fill the gap for you but wasn’t satisfied with my efforts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ABC, indeed.

I admit the exact reason that this scheme was supposed to be productive got a little lost, but that's an excellent note to end on.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If you want to own Giant Days in hardcover, there's a kickstarter for it that's already hit funding
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boom-studios/giant-days

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I, too, had the first three Not On The Test Edition hardcovers and was sad not to get any more, so this is a big deal for me.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh, this is a neat thread. I read all of Scary Go Round and parts of Bad Machinery back in the day, but catching up since feels a little intimidating, because John Allison is a comics machine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Leraika posted:

Oh, this is a neat thread. I read all of Scary Go Round and parts of Bad Machinery back in the day, but catching up since feels a little intimidating, because John Allison is a comics machine.

If you have not read Giant Days, I suggest you correct that as soon as possible, because it's honestly his best work (and is helped by having different artists). It's print only though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If you have not read Giant Days, I suggest you correct that as soon as possible, because it's honestly his best work (and is helped by having different artists). It's print only though.

eyeing the ks and trying to decide if I am 100 bucks invested in this endeavor

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Welcome, Leraika!

Aside Giant Days, I suggest trying Bad Machinery (link to the first story), which features many of the characters from Scary Go Round now older plus a cast of super likeable kids that it's a delight to see them grow up over the years.

Steeple's amazing, too, no back reading necessary at all, though Vol 1 is not available as a web comic instead being Dark Horse published work. Vol 2 and 3 are online, though.

Leraika posted:

eyeing the ks and trying to decide if I am 100 bucks invested in this endeavor

You can read it digitally first. They were sold on what used to be Comixology, and are still available by a much shittier company but them's the breaks. Here's Vol 1.

~*~

A new Solver story will being on Monday. See you all there!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Saoshyant posted:

Welcome, Leraika!

Aside Giant Days, I suggest trying Bad Machinery (link to the first story), which features many of the characters from Scary Go Round now older plus a cast of super likeable kids that it's a delight to see them grow up over the years.

Steeple's amazing, too, no back reading necessary at all, though Vol 1 is not available as a web comic instead being Dark Horse published work. Vol 2 and 3 are online, though.

You can read it digitally first. They were sold on what used to be Comixology, and are still available by a much shittier company but them's the breaks. Here's Vol 1.

~*~

A new Solver story will being on Monday. See you all there!

Is that intro panel on the gocomics link new? I seem to remember the original just starting with Jack

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Is that intro panel on the gocomics link new? I seem to remember the original just starting with Jack

It was added when Allison published the first volume as a book. He added a bunch of extra pages and changed the original art in some places (which I didn't like at the time). GoComics is using the new art + panels from that edition.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I mean, I get it, it's a straightforward change but part of the charm I think was seeing how all these disparate characters came together which is spoiled a bit by this, maybe.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

A new Solver comic begins on Monday, and brings with it new intrigue, new faces, and new names for poor Glenn Durgan, who will never know peace so long as he keeps company with Ms C. Grote.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Excited to see more of Glun

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Welcome back, and thank you for your patience. Your reward: the X-Files.

Lottie is, in real terms, too young for this show, but I find it hard to believe that she hasn’t sought it out. It’s very relevant to her interests.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Goblin,

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
More evidence that a smart man always packs a digital bug-out bag. Assuming it's not a cunning forgery.

https://mastodon.social/@jwallison/109281175139516342

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 3, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Lottie’s hand symbol indicates “two horns” while Glenn’s indicates “three diners”. The presence of a head between the digital gestures introduces all manner of new meaning.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Glyn-boy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Leraika posted:

Glyn-boy.

I wonder if Glum's names are based on saying "Glenn" with a kiwi accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Claire takes a very real joy from participating in Lottie’s mystery solving process. It’s written all over her face.