Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tae posted:

We dont even have a cryo catalsyt

What are you talking about, we have Memory of Dust. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
90 percent of bronya variants use a gun so i wonder if we'll finally get guns by the 5th tear

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Doing new weapon types for a few of the new archons would be a pretty good way to push them given that their elements are otherwise going to be pretty crowded with characters by then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres no hydro polearm or claymore, no cyro catalyst, and no dendro claymore, catalyst, or polearm.

odds are the hydro archon will be claymore or polearm. we also know kusanali will be catalyst but theres no indication that well be getting a dendro claymore or polearm anytime soon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

theres no hydro polearm or claymore, no cyro catalyst, and no dendro claymore, catalyst, or polearm.

odds are the hydro archon will be claymore or polearm. we also know kusanali will be catalyst but theres no indication that well be getting a dendro claymore or polearm anytime soon.

Guan Yu style dendro polearm, when?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Candace is hydro polearm!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh right i forgot she was coming out next patch

i imagine the hydro archon will be the first hydro claymore then, would be my guess. claymore also kinda fits her god of justice, french theme she has, you could make her claymore look like a guillotine or something

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

God I forgot Fontaine was French and now I am excited for circus justice town now.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Excelzior posted:

afaik those are all linked to prerequisite sumeru commissions so they won't hlep with unlocking rep 2 :(

I was a lot more annoyed once I realized all the 'subquests,' like finding all the cooking dudes, didn't actually count as a quest for that. Feels like I won't get that last 30 reputation this week, either.

Hellioning posted:

God I forgot Fontaine was French and now I am excited for circus justice town now.

Less enthused by all the talk of diving the various adventurers from fontaine keep going on about. Also feels like the airships or whatever that kid in inazuma was talking about is just going to be some sorta underwater subway, which sounds less fun and more like "2 minutes of watching your character vibrate slightly as you watch a bubble float around an underwater city." Those bubbles in enkanomiya were awful.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
On the topic of design space and weapons we could see more 'technically uses a weapon from 1 category but their attacks aren't typical for it' like our punchy catalyst monk, or characters like Childe, Ei, and Ito who swap weapons as part of their moveset. Although yeah Itto's club technically isn't a stretch as dramatically different as the other two, especially since there is a club in the claymore weapon pool.
So if a character is supposed to use a gun instead of introducing a whole new weapon category for 1 person, they could just have their sword in their offhand, or a stat stick on their back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they could just be dante from the devil may cry series

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

No Wave posted:

It's pretty bad. I think it makes the most sense on collei because she stacks atk, has an easy time using all the stacks, can use the ER well, and is bad so you don't care about putting a better weapon on her.

Fair point, too bad it takes quite some fishing to build. And that Collei is bad ..has no use other th ..is a slightly worse.. better ... Hey she's a better aim with the e than DMC!

Tighnari is awesome though, best random lucky pull in the game so far for me.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Coolness Averted posted:

On the topic of design space and weapons we could see more 'technically uses a weapon from 1 category but their attacks aren't typical for it' like our punchy catalyst monk, or characters like Childe, Ei, and Ito who swap weapons as part of their moveset. Although yeah Itto's club technically isn't a stretch as dramatically different as the other two, especially since there is a club in the claymore weapon pool.
So if a character is supposed to use a gun instead of introducing a whole new weapon category for 1 person, they could just have their sword in their offhand, or a stat stick on their back.

Wasted opportunity if there's no Inazuma-obsessed sword dork in Fontaine or Snezhnaya with a Jetstream Sam gun-powered scabbard.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So I finally got to the point where the recommended reading order guide says to play the first 2 chapters of Honkai Impact 3rd for optimal experience so I actually decided to try it last night and boy does it come across as more of a gacha game already, which Genshin doesn't entirely register to me as most of the time. It was also kind of different than I was expecting in a lot of ways though I guess that's to be expected since it was made much earlier in Mihoyo's history and when they were still practically a mom and pop outfit in comparison.

Really quickly, first the game just kind of throws you right in similar to Genshin with a cutscene movie and then just quickly dropped off onto a plane as Kiana. There's a tutorial that basically railroads you and adds functions as you go along the stages and the story is pretty razor thin to start. Something about boarding a carrier that was apparently left to Kiana by someone that serves as the base hub menu after the chapter. It's pretty basic controls with an attack charge command, a dodge option, a skill and an ultimate ability that costs SP which seems to be gained by pickups, using skills that generate it or just plain doing objective and fighting well.

Eventually you get Mei as a teammate and there's a fake first roll that gives you Bronya (Valkyrie Chariot). There's like a rock paper scissors mechanic it seems where things are supposed to be good against certain types. Kiana is Biological, Mei is Psy and Bronya is Mechanical. It's pretty basic controls and I was surprised by no jump button. Kiana has a pistol skill that takes like 10 seconds to charge between single shots that seems to stun non-mechanical enemies briefly and an ultimate that powers up her attacks with Bayonetta like cat paw portal things. Bronya is slow as gently caress and has a charge attack that takes a bit to deal full damage but has some range though you can't turn it and she just strafes extremely slowly when you try to go left to right. If it weren't for her ultimate which causes this black hole like gathering property that none of the other characters seem to have she seems like total crap with her mobility and seemingly non-existent melee options. Mei was felt the most playable to me at base, though her base costume looks like somebody threw an NPC armor onto her. She has some decently quick katana slashes, a quick dash attack that didn't seem to have as much cool down as the other two Valkyrie's dodges, and a kunai skill that causes a bleed like effect on enemies which is really good. Her charge attack is also solid AoE damage that's easy enough to hit with, though her ultimate was probably the least utility just being a damage AoE multi slash attack. Her being solid mid range led me to sink a bit more into building her since the other two really did not feel good to use through the session. I assume they make this opening slate play kind of lovely to encourage early use of the gacha.

As for presentation the game was pretty bare bones story wise through the first chapter and what I played of the second though there's that oddly amusing factor to the way it does some immersion things like the dialogue and use of the ultimately pretty clearly limited engine at this stage. Kiana seems to break the fourth wall a lot between stages with quips to the player about going on strike if Mei wasn't included in the party or you playing out a mock exam with her in engine to solve literally the simplest problems. The chapter menu layout also seems to be based on themes of the chapter in an interesting way. There's some jank though like the audio not lining up with the subtitles on most of the cutscenes that play throughout the stage that are done in that sort of Bayonetta style of still image dramatic panning and rotating that I find oddly amusing. Also they tend to come in and out rather abruptly just kind of plopping you into a stage. Genshin definitely has a lot more fluid transitions. The characters also quip at the player during some of the gameplay segments, but a lot of it doesn't seem to be subtitled which is odd if a game is going to be Japanese and Chinese voice over only. I some imagine this changes a bit since it seems like the chapters get much longer from various youtube videos I've seen and I've heard the game didn't really hit it's stride until a few years in and that the first 7-10 chapters of game and story are kind of rough and threadbare in comparison to the more recent chapters.

Anyway sorry for this and it's already been far too much summarizing, but I found the game kind of hits you over the head with a ton of stuff way more than Genshin. With Genshin it's all introduced a lot slower, but in Honkai it's all thrown at you within the first short 30 minute or so chapter and there's also way the gently caress more premium seeming currency to get other currency to upgrade this or that or exchange for whatever and I assume it explains it possibly as it becomes relevant, but it also makes it feel a lot more gachaish game than Genshin. In some regards it reminds me of my first impression of Genshin maybe which wasn't the greatest, though what eventually got me back into Genshin was it being really easy to just ignore the gacha system until I feel like using it and the surprising immersiveness of the narrative and exploration. Honkai isn't going to have that sense of exploration, so it's probably going to need to rely on the narrative or the gameplay getting deeper as it goes along to have me take it more seriously, but for now I'm kind of just interested in it's presentation for the most part.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

RareAcumen posted:

I've been checking game8 and trying to figure out which ones are short and also don't require any or much Aranyaka progress.

https://game8.co/games/Genshin-Impact/archives/387498

Thank you, this finally got me to lv 2 without spending another 10 hours on Aranara quests.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I got this set entirely out of spiral abyss echoes boxes in the 10 abyss cycles that were giving out echoes/vermilion. Have never spent resin on the domain.

This is my dumbest flex. It is worse than my glad set but I will never stop using it. My 0 resin ayato artifacts.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

Same. She was my first built DPS.

Same

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah people usually bring up Albedo as a character who'd make sense on the standard banner, but he can't be since he was introduced as event-exclusive. I do wonder if they'll ever make a new non-exclusive Geo character for the standard banner or just leave that gap there.
I don't know why a game developer would ever publicly commit themselves to "never doing X". Seems like a really bad call to me. We should have learned our lesson from the Reserved List in Magic.

I guess there's nothing to stop them inventing a new class of "event" banner that lasts for 364 days out of every year...

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 7, 2022

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

No Wave posted:

I got this set entirely out of spiral abyss echoes boxes in the 10 abyss cycles that were giving out echoes/vermilion. Have never spent resin on the domain.

This is my dumbest flex. It is worse than my glad set but I will never stop using it. My 0 resin ayato artifacts.

Any ATK sands with 30+ CRIT value makes me salivate, but an on-set one? :vince:

I kind of want to farm up a full set of this to try on my tall Hydro boys gathering dust. I think all I really need is a decent crown.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

We dont even have a cryo catalsyt

First cryo catalyst will scale off em just to make frostbearer remain worthless.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been doing the new domain some and have gotten some impressively bad rolls. It's starting to become competitive with my worst ever stretch.

I don't even know who I'll use them on yet (since there's no way in hell I'll get stuff better than my current Wanderer's for Tighnari, which basically has a lot of great stuff just because I've been getting them since the beginning of the game), but I imagine I'll use them at some point. It seems like the EM set might be competing with the the ER% set for some characters.

Kale posted:

there's also way the gently caress more premium seeming currency to get other currency to upgrade this or that or exchange for whatever and I assume it explains it possibly as it becomes relevant, but it also makes it feel a lot more gachaish game than Genshin.

Honkai's system is really overwhelming. I was never planning on caring about the gacha in it to begin with, but the complexity (and how much stuff you need aside from the character itself - namely the stigmata or whatever those things are called) just made me lose all interest in engaging with it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 7, 2022

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't know why a game developer would ever publicly commit themselves to "never doing X". Seems like a really bad call to me. We should have learned our lesson from the Reserved List in Magic.

I guess there's nothing to stop them inventing a new class of "event" banner that lasts for 364 days out of every year...
The fine print just says they won't be including the event 5*s (minus Tighnari, and Keqing awhile ago) in Wanderlust Invocation, which probably means they can make a Standard Banner 2 at some point (or a Mondstadt/Liyue permanent banner or something).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Incoherence posted:

The fine print just says they won't be including the event 5*s (minus Tighnari, and Keqing awhile ago) in Wanderlust Invocation, which probably means they can make a Standard Banner 2 at some point (or a Mondstadt/Liyue permanent banner or something).
Hell, if that's all they're committed to, they could retire Wanderlust Invocation and replace it with a new Standard Wish that's exactly the same but with more 5-stars in it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Hell, if that's all they're committed to, they could retire Wanderlust Invocation and replace it with a new Standard Wish that's exactly the same but with more 5-stars in it.

Only if they add an epitomized path, or some way to target the standard character you want. It's pretty terrible that if you have 'bad' luck a standard character can be far rarer than a limited one.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, I'm not saying it's a good idea. There'd be much better ways to go about it. I'm just interested in what they could do to escape this problem they've made for themselves.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how will this game that makes more money than god fix the problems with their money-making system?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

No Wave posted:

Haha daamn. I was very happy with my Ayato until now, you've ruined it! 20k hp, 1.8k atk, 63/157 crit/cdmg, 61 hydro, 167 recharge. Still owns, to be fair.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I don't think these actually are problems. Event-exclusive 5-stars being limited run characters is by design. It's pretty standard gacha game stuff. Even the fact that there's no Geo 5-star on the standard banner is less a "problem" than a curiosity. It's not like you can reliably get any of those characters anyway.

If they ever need to switch up how they do banners, they'll do that. They already did change it up once, adding a second event banner so that the rerun cadence can be faster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant see them ever adding any previous limited characters to a new permanent banner. itd make people who whaled hard for those characters mad for no real benefit. i could see changes like adding giving amber/kaeya/lisa proper rateups, or rotating rateups on the standard banner for the standard pool characters. or maybe something like the standard banner having a limited 5* on rateup that changes on a monthly basis, like yeah you can get albedo this month. its still limited because he wouldnt be back for ages but itd give them another avenue to rerun characters that might not be as high priority/have already gotten a ton of limited banner reruns. (and itd give people a reason to horde/maybe even spend money on the standard fates, rather than just smoking them if they got them)

but i cant imagine them just going 'you can get spooked by albedo now/hes just in the standard pool forever'

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I mean, I really don't think it's likely that making more products available more of the time would result in less revenue. I can't imagine players get duped that badly by the time limit on event banners. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

Anyway, I don't even think the current model is actually broken. I just think it's silly to say things that limit what you can do in the future, is all.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 7, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They do that to drive sales, really. When they say that a character like Raiden Shogun is event exclusive, that you have three weeks to get her and then who knows how long it'll be until you have another shot, that's meant to put pressure on you to get her right now, and if you don't have enough primos to do that, well, crack open that wallet. The time pressure is all part of the sales strategy.

Sure, the wording means they can't eventually add her to the Wanderlust Invocation banner, but why would they want to? The exclusivity is the point. If they really want to make previous event exclusive 5-stars more available in the future, there are plenty of ways of doing that without adding them to Wanderlust Invocation (for example, adding a third rotating event banner, or having occasional special rerun events with multiple previous 5-stars all featured, or things like that).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres successful gacha games that only rarely have limited characters, like arknights or blue archive, and theres successful gacha games that more frequently add characters to the standard pool, like fgo, but genshin's chosen this path and they kind of have to commit to it. its more about audience expectation than anything. tighnari's banner has made less money than a lot of other banners, even with zhongli running alongside him. that pretty much proves that 'will be eventually added to the standard banner' limits the money they make. and dumping it on players as a surprise would make people feel duped. not to mention there's some charcaters who are too 'high value' to ever really be added to that kind of pool, like the archons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I'm really interested in seeing in the future would be more characters like Heizou or Childe who use non-standard fighting styles with their weapons.

When I first started I thought that Genshin would eventually need to add more weapon types because I was thinking about it like the Elder Scrolls Online. ESO, like Genshin, only really has five weapon types (actually four but one of them can be used two ways): one-handed and shield, dual-wield, two-handed, bow, and staff. It doesn't look like they're ever going to add more, which is a shame, because in ESO, the weapons your character equips basically determine your core moveset, and it'd be really nice to have more variety.

But that's not true in Genshin. In Genshin, the character determines the moveset. The weapon type is almost completely cosmetic (though it does determine which pool of weapons they get to equip which does have some gameplay effect). Why add fist weapons when they can just have a catalyst-user punch and kick? Why add twin daggers when they can have a character who just conjures water blades to dual wield?

Even characters who generally use their weapon type as expected sometimes pull out a totally different weapon when they enter their "big DPS mode." Itto's an obvious one with his big club, and Raiden with her sword, but Ayato does it too, using a unique sword when he's in his elemental skill stance.

So I wonder what else they'll do eventually. There really aren't any limits, especially if they just go with "catalyst-user who conjures an elemental <insert weapon here> to fight."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres smaller ones, too, like kuki using kunai in her animations. i do think theyll eventually add a new weapon type or two, but i think it will only be one or two. adding, say, an axe weapon type and putting craftable axes in the old regions would be a new resource sink.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harrow posted:

Something I'm really interested in seeing in the future would be more characters like Heizou or Childe who use non-standard fighting styles with their weapons.

When I first started I thought that Genshin would eventually need to add more weapon types because I was thinking about it like the Elder Scrolls Online. ESO, like Genshin, only really has five weapon types (actually four but one of them can be used two ways): one-handed and shield, dual-wield, two-handed, bow, and staff. It doesn't look like they're ever going to add more, which is a shame, because in ESO, the weapons your character equips basically determine your core moveset, and it'd be really nice to have more variety.

But that's not true in Genshin. In Genshin, the character determines the moveset. The weapon type is almost completely cosmetic (though it does determine which pool of weapons they get to equip which does have some gameplay effect). Why add fist weapons when they can just have a catalyst-user punch and kick? Why add twin daggers when they can have a character who just conjures water blades to dual wield?

Even characters who generally use their weapon type as expected sometimes pull out a totally different weapon when they enter their "big DPS mode." Itto's an obvious one with his big club, and Raiden with her sword, but Ayato does it too, using a unique sword when he's in his elemental skill stance.

So I wonder what else they'll do eventually. There really aren't any limits, especially if they just go with "catalyst-user who conjures an elemental <insert weapon here> to fight."

physical catalyst

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

physical catalyst
my only thought on the fatui elements is that dottore better be pyro

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Someone who throws their claymore like a boomerang

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

theres successful gacha games that only rarely have limited characters, like arknights or blue archive, and theres successful gacha games that more frequently add characters to the standard pool, like fgo, but genshin's chosen this path and they kind of have to commit to it. its more about audience expectation than anything. tighnari's banner has made less money than a lot of other banners, even with zhongli running alongside him. that pretty much proves that 'will be eventually added to the standard banner' limits the money they make. and dumping it on players as a surprise would make people feel duped. not to mention there's some charcaters who are too 'high value' to ever really be added to that kind of pool, like the archons.
I suppose it is more of a PR issue than something they can just rules-lawyer their way out of, when you put it that way. Though my instinct says they could probably still just do whatever they wanted. It's only the very most entrenched players who'd be bothered by it; you've already got their money, and they're probably in too deep to quit over it anyway. Maybe that's too cavalier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue is that the most entrenched players are also the ones who are likely to complain the most, and loud, vocal complaints from your most dedicated fans tend to turn off curious casuals, who would be the main people a move like that would be aimed at.

im definitely not saying they couldnt do it if they wanted to and probably be fine, i just dont think theyll go that route. its more trouble than its worth for something that doesnt seem like itd improve profits any or make anything any easier for them. theres more roundabout ways of making those characters more accessible with way less trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Was trying to knock out a good percentage of the aranara quests, an hour later, I did 1. Welp.