Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'd rather watch a paper cut in slow mo on an imax movie screen than go within 50 feet of one of that titfucker's sweat stained ugly rear end shirts. :barf:

Also:

https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1566109502180655104

In the bevy of Brutal Doom spinoffs, one of my favorite things has always been the various things modders do with the plasma rifle; one of the versions I use the most causes lesser enemies to essentially burn and vaporize into black ash, which really helps communicate that you're shooting things with balls of superheated energy. I appreciate that Selaco is continuing that with such visceral effects--even if we might be fielding actual plasma rifles by the time the game goes gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really enjoy being underwater in Build engine games. I think the ambience in Duke3d is quite nostalgic in particular, with the sound of the bubbles going past. Blood E4 does some fun stuff with water sectors as well. I guess it's one instance where the hacky nature of the engine somehow worked really well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I love how insane build's approach to what "underwater" was ended up being. I think if you assigned a flag to a teleporter it would toggle underwaterness. If I remember correctly water surface textures by default would cause your camera to be lower and kind of bob, so stimulating being in shallow water. You could then flag the texture to act as a water toggle teleporter to a sector using the water surface texture on the ceiling BUT if those sectors weren't 100% exactly the same dimensions the player might end up teleporting into something that isn't a teleporter and telefragging themselves. The underwater section would just be another room floating off in space somewhere. There was no sector flag that said "this is an underwater area" you would just have to name make it so the only ways in or out would be through water toggling teleporters.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I love how insane build's approach to what "underwater" was ended up being. I think if you assigned a flag to a teleporter it would toggle underwaterness. If I remember correctly water surface textures by default would cause your camera to be lower and kind of bob, so stimulating being in shallow water. You could then flag the texture to act as a water toggle teleporter to a sector using the water surface texture on the ceiling BUT if those sectors weren't 100% exactly the same dimensions the player might end up teleporting into something that isn't a teleporter and telefragging themselves. The underwater section would just be another room floating off in space somewhere. There was no sector flag that said "this is an underwater area" you would just have to name make it so the only ways in or out would be through water toggling teleporters.
I remember underwater being a sector flag in Duke 3D at least. You could definitely have areas where you walk "out" of an underwater area (ie. through a waterfall).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Playing through Quake 2 for the first time since high school, and I'm really having a fun time with this game! Very happy to see a rocket launcher with minimal splash damage! Kind of excited to check out Quake 4 after this, despite knowing it's probably gonna be bad.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My memory of things like that is you build a narrow teleporter the width of a wall. I remember messing around and making a hallway connecting the "underwater" area to the "above water" area and you could both walk and breathe in the underwater area if you walked into it, and swim through the above area if you did the opposite.

edit I remember you could make teleporters that didn't cause a teleporter flash or sounds, it just moved you stealthily. The first level of the game transitions you off the roof with a stealth teleporter in the vent you jump down. I think the splash and water effect was a similar flag.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 5, 2022

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Do we know how much game we're getting in Gloomwood EA?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

Playing through Quake 2 for the first time since high school, and I'm really having a fun time with this game! Very happy to see a rocket launcher with minimal splash damage! Kind of excited to check out Quake 4 after this, despite knowing it's probably gonna be bad.

If you like rocket launchers with minimal splash damage, I'd also strongly recommend the Supercharge weapon mod for Doom 2 - it ships with some pretty great WADs if you're up for modern design (ie some slaughter): Paradise, Mapwich 2, and Antichrist Technicolour Box.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Senethro posted:

Do we know how much game we're getting in Gloomwood EA?
Based on what the devs are saying on Twitter, you'll be getting the first three large areas in close-to-final form that you can travel and backtrack between, making up the first few hours of the game. Additional areas and content will roll out throughout development.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/ironworksgames/status/1565067011344207872

Woop woop!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Arivia posted:

If you like rocket launchers with minimal splash damage, I'd also strongly recommend the Supercharge weapon mod for Doom 2 - it ships with some pretty great WADs if you're up for modern design (ie some slaughter): Paradise, Mapwich 2, and Antichrist Technicolour Box.

Believe it or not, but I've never played Doom 2 before. Played every other Doom however, not sure how 2 has managed to be avoided by now.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BisterdDave posted:

Believe it or not, but I've never played Doom 2 before. Played every other Doom however, not sure how 2 has managed to be avoided by now.

If you haven't experienced that Super Shotgun you need to play it right away

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
new decino vid is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkraMwjo24

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1566926873057120256?s=20&t=oDZP-QCkWOoOaGM4aSmM_g

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1566932360385671168

*leo point*

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 6, 2022

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm early accessing an early access here

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope the kids inevitable quake 2 glow up has the ps1 version in it like how the quake port had quake 64. It’s a lot more colorful than the pc version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Overbite posted:

I hope the kids inevitable quake 2 glow up has the ps1 version in it like how the quake port had quake 64. It’s a lot more colorful than the pc version.

I thought Q2 was already colorful enough. It was its thing at the time!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Orange is a color, yeah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1567149447767035905?s=20&t=0oGogTHS041noYoBp0e9SA

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Gloomwood totally rules so far. Needs some optimization tho. I also noticed a lack of certain UI elements wrt sound, but I'm sure all that will be improved in no time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
alright fine i'll buy a copy of gloomwood. god

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh poo poo this is coming out

https://twitter.com/shotsparkstudio/status/1567175630692786179

That's this if you're not familiar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLp5-yO5_qw

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Let's go https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1566968492980830210?s=20&t=IhxA2Pa0sRYOrwnsrNrZfw

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What was the concensus, if any, on Forgive me Father?

I ask because it's part of this months' Humble Bundle (choice).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

What was the concensus, if any, on Forgive me Father?

I ask because it's part of this months' Humble Bundle (choice).
i gave a review several pages ago but to sum up:

- love the aesthetic and visual variety of the areas and enemies (enemy types have more than one skin to them and will sometimes be thematically dressed based on the level you're in)
- shotgun is nice and boomy. the idea of a skill tree that transforms your gun into either a more powerful variant of the existing weapon or a more weird/scifi variant is neat, although it can lead to ending up with duplicates because you could have both a tommy gun-turned-laser beam and then find a pulse gun, to give one example
- has a bad first impression because the revolver is really weak and the opening level is not super great, but later level design gets better as do the weapons. overall the level design is very uneven, sometimes it's very linear, sometimes it's more doom-y. i appreciate that you sort of go on a constant journey from level to level so you're not sticking in one place, you'll go from apartment to rooftops to town streets to hospital, etc. but the third act drags a bit because it's a little too long and not quite as novel with its level to level changes.
- my biggest issue with the game is the saving/checkpoint system. the only saving is done at physical checkpoints found in the levels, which they call 'quick save' for some reason but that ain't what it is, it's just saving. there are some levels in the back half of the game that put checkpoints too far away from each other. i ended up spending over an hour on just one level because there's a HUGE gauntlet marathon of enemies between one checkpoint and the next, and it was very difficult to manage health all the way through
- the game seems to reward aggression over defense, although i also picked the character that is more 'run and gun'. you have special abilities and one of them allows you to leech health on melee hits, one allows you to slow down time, one allows you to stun enemies (this one i felt was useless because its range was puny) and one lets you explode people within a radius around you. these can also be upgraded in the skill tree

it's fun, it's not perfect, and you may get tired of it before finishing it, but i overall liked it. i think the game should just have a regular quick save/quick load system. some weapons are great and some just feel kind of useless. the ammo cap is just balanced enough that you can't hoard ammo and will have to switch weapons frequently, but you won't end up stuck with the basic pistol very often. in terms of gated encounters, the arenas are merely adequate, could definitely have been better there. they're not straight up cube killboxes like shadow warrior 2013, but they're not super vertical either, basically they could be compared to a roguelite arena shooter's gated encounters in terms of what such a room design would look like. outside of gated encounters the level design is alright, a decent mix of linear and mazey levels, plenty of color key doors, secrets to collect. there's a secret weapon in several levels that you can wield temporarily until you run out of ammo, i thought it was a decent additional bit of firepower.

in terms of FPS i've played this year, my ranking is: fashion police squad > ADACA > shadow warrior 3 > forgive me father. but for being in last place i still liked it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 6, 2022

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Gloomwood is off to a great start. I'm sad I've completed the EA content already.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Gloomwood is fantastic already. I'm going to try and hold off on any future content releases until the v1.0 release: just happy to show my support by getting a copy

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want a game that instead of a rocket launcher it's an aluminum bat launcher and makes a really good PING noise and ragdolls people

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I got into DUSK super early after seeing previews of it. I asked for a copy of the beta and played it to death, meanwhile keeping in contact with Dave and David. When the game finally released into EA, I noticed that my beta copy turned into a full copy for free. I told D&D that I wanted to pay for the game to support it. One of them said "sucks for you, then." I was so mad that I went out and convinced as many people as I could to buy the game, so the joke's on them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Well I bought Dusk twice so you're good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I got into DUSK super early after seeing previews of it. I asked for a copy of the beta and played it to death, meanwhile keeping in contact with Dave and David. When the game finally released into EA, I noticed that my beta copy turned into a full copy for free. I told D&D that I wanted to pay for the game to support it. One of them said "sucks for you, then." I was so mad that I went out and convinced as many people as I could to buy the game, so the joke's on them.

Buying the Switch version was my way of "giving back".

It helps the port is sensational too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ah that's the old build engine we know and love
https://i.imgur.com/BbVLIk7.mp4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hellsinger is coming to game pass day 1 so hell yeah

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

verbal enema posted:

I want a game that instead of a rocket launcher it's an aluminum bat launcher and makes a really good PING noise and ragdolls people

drat, that actually sounds awesome.

Painkiller stake gun but aluminum bats!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

Buying the Switch version was my way of "giving back".

It helps the port is sensational too
Would be better if they fixed the gyro.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
To mark its release on the Microsoft Store, which people apparently use outside of Game Pass poo poo, there are now four official, Bethesda-run vanilla servers for Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Sure, okay!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

To mark its release on the Microsoft Store, which people apparently use outside of Game Pass poo poo, there are now four official, Bethesda-run vanilla servers for Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Sure, okay!

Its me, I use it outside of gamepass.

Because the copy of soul hackers 2 I bought on xbox included a microsoft store copy

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1567519147906535425

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1567000690345771009?t=Zgn811i0zKHsuR5mJxaldA&s=19
https://twitter.com/entropy_phi/status/1567219906365587456?t=F7HMv_LJKVc96xZd0ITVkw&s=19