Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Larryb posted:

Apparently Repliforce stuck around in some capacity despite their attempted coup as Spiral Pegasus and I think Burn Dinorex from X5 are members of the group and they get mentioned directly in the Japanese versions of both X6 and X7 (though for some reason in both cases said mention got translated in the English version as “Reploids”)
It was only a couple units who went Maverick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Copy X's decent into evil was basically him going "Hmm Neo Arcadia is running out of energy, and we are still constantly producing Reploids who consume a lot of it. But I can't slow production for these new Reploids cause that will make the lives of the humans harder. Oh I know, there are millions of Reploid civilians around that are not doing anything important, lets just start retiring them so they will stop consuming energy. If I say they are mavericks no one will question getting rid of them."

As an additional detail, Ciel solves all this offscreen between Z2 and Z3, but it ends up not mattering because of Weil coming back.

(And it creates more problems later because Slither Inc. in ZX monopolizes the tech, if memory serves.

People really, really gotta stop ditching their old tech. Ciel's presumed alive at the time even so she doesn't even have the usual excuse of being dead!)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 6, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tallgeese posted:

As an additional detail, Ciel solves all this offscreen between Z2 and Z3, but it ends up not mattering because of Weil coming back.

(And it creates more problems later because Slither Inc. in ZX monopolizes the tech, if memory serves.)

Well Ciel was working on solving the problem in Z2. Cause Copy X is gone Neo Arcadia's administration won't be randomly declaring people Mavericks to get rid of them, as the Guardians were unaware of that. Ciel hopes to present the new energy system as a peace offering so their group won't have to fight Neo Arcadia anymore cause it still considers them Mavericks. In Z3 Ciel completed the system and was in negotiations with Neo Arcadia to give it to them. Then the Weil stuff started and Copy X MK II came around, blew up a human civilian district cause it was easier then searching it, and then tried to extort Ciel for the new energy system.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 6, 2022

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

From what I understand it's thought Mk. 2 is actually the same Copy X, just DNA Resurrected Berkana/Gate style. Except Weil apparently sucks at it compared to them. Or he deliberately screwed it up. Hard to say.

I don't really recall at this point where that revival part is said.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

From what I understand it's thought Mk. 2 is actually the same Copy X, just DNA Resurrected Berkana/Gate style. Except Weil apparently sucks at it compared to them. Or he deliberately screwed it up. Hard to say.

I don't really recall at this point where that revival part is said.

The whole point was bringing back Copy X to cement his own authority and then show Zero and the resistance killing the revered leader and hero of Neo Arcadia. Why bother making a perfect copy?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

chumbler posted:

The whole point was bringing back Copy X to cement his own authority and then show Zero and the resistance killing the revered leader and hero of Neo Arcadia. Why bother making a perfect copy?

It's just weird that the other two (EDIT: whoops no, three) we definitely know got revived have no speech problems, is all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

Also if I understand correctly the citizens of Neo Arcadia were not actually informed of Copy X's first defeat so as you said Weil brought him back explicitly for that purpose (I think he also implanted a bomb in Mk 2's body to make sure of this)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's not much to suggest that Weil is that skilled of a mad scientist (relatively speaking). His modus operandi is to commandeer and suborn other peoples tech, whether that's the Mother Elf, Zero's original body, or the myriad of doomsday machines Neo Arcadia kept mothballed.

Even biometal W was mostly Dr. Albert, iirc.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well to be fair, let's not forget Wily himself was a bit of a copycat.

..wait, who am I kidding, didn't he just steal like half his robots?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Well to be fair, let's not forget Wily himself was a bit of a copycat.

..wait, who am I kidding, didn't he just steal like half his robots?

Most of them yeah and even his best creations weren’t all that successful (Bass was essentially an accident by Wily’s own admission that disobeyed him constantly and, as you recently mentioned, Zero was too unstable to be of any practical use to begin with and had to be sealed away not long after completion)

Hell, even those two were essentially made as Wily’s answer to Megaman and in the one instance where Light copied some of Wily’s tech (the Double Gear system) he wound up making better use of it than the latter ever could. Wily’s pretty much been a hack since day one

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Wily is charmingly inept but he did build some robots of his own. Weil doesn't even have a Bubble Man to his name.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Larryb posted:

Wily’s pretty much been a hack since day one

It's kind of funny how he suddenly gains exponentially more competence the minute he dies and transfers his memories to Reploid bodies.

Serges? Competent. Builds Zero's second body (and in Dive, X-Kai) without a hitch.

Isoc? Super competent, doesn't even actually get killed by anyone and just absconds.

EDIT: Oh wait, ironically he does show more Wily-like traits in the card thingy, where Isoc steals Doppler's Limited parasite research to create the Extreme. Which then proceeds to create a Zero clone I'd say is even more feminine than the original if you can believe it.

Seriously, you think ViA is bad, look up Nichts.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 6, 2022

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't see what's particularly bad about ViA. He's straight up just blue X1 Zero, but with a blank face.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ViA reads like a joke about mid-2000s sprite comic OCs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

It's kind of funny how he suddenly gains exponentially more competence the minute he dies and transfers his memories to Reploid bodies.

Serges? Competent. Builds Zero's second body (and in Dive, X-Kai) without a hitch.

Isoc? Super competent, doesn't even actually get killed by anyone and just absconds.

EDIT: Oh wait, ironically he does show more Wily-like traits in the card thingy, where Isoc steals Doppler's Limited parasite research to create the Extreme. Which then proceeds to create a Zero clone I'd say is even more feminine than the original if you can believe it.

Seriously, you think ViA is bad, look up Nichts.

Holly crap you weren’t kidding:

https://megaman.fandom.com/wiki/Nichts

That said, ViA’s pretty harmless since as mentioned he’s mostly just a Zero recolor (and I think Dive even acknowledges this fact early on)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 6, 2022

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dabir posted:

ViA reads like a joke about mid-2000s sprite comic OCs

Until we get the implied idol outfit alt he's mentioned ingame.

That is, if Taicom has the balls.

Larryb posted:

That said, ViA’s pretty harmless since as mentioned he’s mostly just a Zero recolor (and I think Dive even acknowledges this fact early on)

Dive really should just go whole hog and put in guys like this and Enemice-HL in. Nobody would know what the hell.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

It was a bit ago so I might be remembering wrong, but I think it's his first appearance.

Also he's not really a Zero recolor, he's an admin playing as (trapped in the game? Don't remember) a Zero recolor, because that's what he wanted to look like. So, like, it's justified. Lazy, but justified.

Could not tell you much past that though that game got pretty boring.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain France posted:

It was a bit ago so I might be remembering wrong, but I think it's his first appearance.

Also he's not really a Zero recolor, he's an admin playing as (trapped in the game? Don't remember) a Zero recolor, because that's what he wanted to look like. So, like, it's justified. Lazy, but justified.

Could not tell you much past that though that game got pretty boring.

Oh I know ViA’s deal, I was just speaking in terms of visual design

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Wow, who knew Mega Man lore was such a rich tapestry?

I love the poo poo someone can put in when they realize no one is overseeing them, like the storybook in Mario Galaxy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ViA is a tutorial fairy for a mobile gacha game and if you’re gonna try to take the story and characters of a mobile gacha game seriously you deserve what you get

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Augus posted:

ViA is a tutorial fairy for a mobile gacha game and if you’re gonna try to take the story and characters of a mobile gacha game seriously you deserve what you get

I can't believe you would disrespect my friends RiCO, iCO, and ViA like this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tallgeese posted:

It's just weird that the other two (EDIT: whoops no, three) we definitely know got revived have no speech problems, is all.

I assume Copy X’s revivals problems with speech was due to Weil altering his personality to be more callous and willing to listen to him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schwarzwald posted:

There's not much to suggest that Weil is that skilled of a mad scientist (relatively speaking). His modus operandi is to commandeer and suborn other peoples tech, whether that's the Mother Elf, Zero's original body, or the myriad of doomsday machines Neo Arcadia kept mothballed.

Even biometal W was mostly Dr. Albert, iirc.

Weil’s talents were explicitly stated to be in Reploid Revival, and Modification. Which he was decent at all the reploids he revived or modified were very loyal to him.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I mean, I'm pretty sure someone would generally be nice to someone who brought them back to life.

But what do I know, I haven't been dead yet!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kanos posted:

I always thought that one worked, but my original view of the maverick virus was that it mostly just short-circuited any pre-programmed inhibitions or programming and let the victim do whatever they wanted, effectively granting them complete free will - hence the name. In that context, Zero turning good was more "Zero decided to be a good person once he had the ability to do so" rather than "Zero passed through the opposite day filter".

The reason why it turns so many robots "evil" is a vicious Catch-22 cycle - some mavericks decided to turn into rampaging murderers, so society established an organization dedicated to hunting down all mavericks, so now anyone who goes maverick is de facto enemy of the state and is pretty much forced into violence and banding together with other violent mavericks to simply preserve their own life/freedom.

This interpretation got shakier the farther the series progressed because it honestly felt like they were changing what the hell the virus was about with every subsequent game.

It seemed pretty clear that being Maverick was not just one thing

Some Mavericks are largely-rational revolutionaries who see themselves as fighting for Reploid freedom, some of them let their obsession with something dumb overwhelm their ethics and common sense, and some of them were so mentally out of it that they could barely even talk anymore

I get the impression that the Maverick virus just fucks with robot brains, and exactly how hosed they get depends on how much of a dose they get and how their brain is built. Sometimes it just knocks out a couple of ethics circuits, sometimes it scrambles half their brain

And as Reploid brains get more advanced, we see them begin to be able to go "Maverick" themselves without necessarily being exposed to a virus at all

Takoluka posted:

I thought the Maverick Virus that was causing Zero issues and all of the X series issues in general was the Evil Energy from Mega Man 8.

It makes complete and perfect sense, and smoothly explains why there is basically an unbroken line of seemingly-indestructible evil from series to series: Wily's creation turned Sigma evil, the Mother Elf that destroyed the Sigma virus turned evil itself and had to be sealed rather than destroyed, and Dr Weil who turned evil alongside the Mother Elf was so incredibly immortal that the wreckage of the space station he died on was still full of his malevolent will or something a century after he died

So of course that's the one explanation that I've never seen official sources attempt to offer

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vizuyos posted:

It seemed pretty clear that being Maverick was not just one thing

No no, it kind of is.

"A robot the human government doesn't like."

I mean, even Copy X was doing what he was doing for the sake of the meatbags.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
maverick being just a made up dum,b label is made explicit when weil makes fun of zero for not being allowed to kill him

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
An (amateur?) animator completely reanimated the intro cutscene of Mega Man 8 in Adobe Animate. All of it by hand, no AI.

Mega Man 8 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNT-E6DEHN8
Rockman 8 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQPbbp_ycg8

https://twitter.com/MASJ_YT/status/1567301630072131584

https://twitter.com/MASJ_YT/status/1566132662670073859

Star Man fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 7, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i for one love lore and i can't wait for mega man zero 5

e: also i think the maverick stuff works with both the "bots the govt don't like" and also "it makes ur robot brain into scrambled robot brain eggs"

Booky fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 7, 2022

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
It's Ideology

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

Vizuyos posted:

So of course that's the one explanation that I've never seen official sources attempt to offer

Long story short, everything that's discussed regarding Megaman lore is either

- Hearsay/misremembered
- lost in the internet
- altered in an interview because the game was made 25 years ago and the programmers don't remember specifics
- made up by a fan 20 years ago but was so heavily shared people think it's canon
- written in a book that nuCapcom stamped "official" on, but was written by fans that just make poo poo up that they want to be canon
- from a side game that Capcom had barely anything to do with
- rarely from the actual creators during the alpha or beta phases of the game, or official storyboards/scribbles found and displayed years afterward

You can't even take the art books seriously, since they were cobbled together years later. I doubt Servbot20 or Protodude ever did it, but it would be extremely good to have a wiki entry detailing exactly what's canon and fan theories.

That's a huge problem with the current wikis. For instance under Ciel, they say it's "highly likely" she was upgraded into a cyborg, but they don't have a tag saying fan theory. The game doesn't explicitly say that, so they need to clarify.

There's a lot of that on the wikis.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
saw "Megaman" was trending on twitter. got a little excited but with tempered expectations.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Megaman&src=trend_click&pt=1567501119412109314&vertical=trends

it's even more dull than expected, some new pokemon that look like net navis
https://twitter.com/kujikawaii/status/1567501119412109314

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Star Man posted:

An (amateur?) animator completely reanimated the intro cutscene of Mega Man 8 in Adobe Animate. All of it by hand, no AI.

Mega Man 8 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNT-E6DEHN8
Rockman 8 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQPbbp_ycg8

https://twitter.com/MASJ_YT/status/1567301630072131584

https://twitter.com/MASJ_YT/status/1566132662670073859

that’s rad. they even drew completely new stuff in the backgrounds to fill out the widescreen image

Captain Invictus posted:

saw "Megaman" was trending on twitter. got a little excited but with tempered expectations.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Megaman&src=trend_click&pt=1567501119412109314&vertical=trends

it's even more dull than expected, some new pokemon that look like net navis
https://twitter.com/kujikawaii/status/1567501119412109314
yeah they’re cool

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Augus posted:

that’s rad. they even drew completely new stuff in the backgrounds to fill out the widescreen image

My initial reaction was that these were recreated with AI and wondered if it was cropped to fit into 16:9. It was all way too clean and the before/after got me thinking that there was some manual adjustments. But nope, the crazy sonovabitch recreated it all from scratch. Painted backgrounds, redrew, and repainted the cels.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The purple one is cool, wonder how it’s soul form looks

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

They definitely have a Net Navi look about them, but I wonder if they're intended to be a bit of a nod toward Pulseman. Game Freak still acknowledges that game now and again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Docahedron posted:

Long story short, everything that's discussed regarding Megaman lore is either

- Hearsay/misremembered
- lost in the internet
- altered in an interview because the game was made 25 years ago and the programmers don't remember specifics
- made up by a fan 20 years ago but was so heavily shared people think it's canon
- written in a book that nuCapcom stamped "official" on, but was written by fans that just make poo poo up that they want to be canon
- from a side game that Capcom had barely anything to do with
- rarely from the actual creators during the alpha or beta phases of the game, or official storyboards/scribbles found and displayed years afterward

You forgot
-Made up by the game's translators

And little details like that occasionally end up in the games themselves, like when the MM1 English translators decided that Wily should be Light's assistant instead of some rando

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tunicate posted:

And little details like that occasionally end up in the games themselves, like when the MM1 English translators decided that Wily should be Light's assistant instead of some rando

wait what

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, apparently Wily was just a rival scientist that was jealous of Light’s accomplishments. Them being partners was 100% an invention of the English MM1 manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sometimes the translators have good ideas.