Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

kewl baron

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im now down to only 25 wads left from the yooge list i downloaded after reading through the entire Cacoward catalogue....pretty awesome. booting up Heartland tonight which looks awesome...i should probably play all of skillsaws maps at some point

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that is a Cool baron

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

im now down to only 25 wads left

Try some L-Arginine supplements my dude.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Holy poo poo heartland kicks rear end. I had no idea the doom engine was capable of levels like this.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

Holy poo poo heartland kicks rear end. I had no idea the doom engine was capable of levels like this.

yeah, heartland is loving amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sub-Actuality posted:

yeah, heartland is loving amazing

ive really loved how finely tuned the balance is among exciting set pieces, connecting hallways with incidental little fights and huge rooms with loads of ways to go filled to the brims with bad dudes. although the further in i get, inevitably it gets very Hot. map06 is kicking my rear end.

all of the new weapons own too, especially the double uzis, feels so good to mow down a crowd of hitscanners in a third of a second. i think the plasma gun replacement is kinda meh though, i dont really like the idea of adding splash damage to the PG

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

thats because it isn't!!!!!!!!!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

ive really loved how finely tuned the balance is among exciting set pieces, connecting hallways with incidental little fights and huge rooms with loads of ways to go filled to the brims with bad dudes. although the further in i get, inevitably it gets very Hot. map06 is kicking my rear end.

all of the new weapons own too, especially the double uzis, feels so good to mow down a crowd of hitscanners in a third of a second. i think the plasma gun replacement is kinda meh though, i dont really like the idea of adding splash damage to the PG

the flame thrower is insane and the spalsh damage you may do to yourself is negligable unless you're face tanking a baron or something but it will still kill a barnon in like 2 seconds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

thats because it isn't!!!!!!!!!

fair point lol. It's still badass to see moving bridges and stuff with doom textures

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

adding to the chorus of people saying that voxel doom is pretty slick. have had no issues running it using vulkan. makes it feel more like quake

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the bfg replacement is amazeballs...had to save a lot on map06 but in the end i did not die on the epic 500+ monster slaughter in the final room. felt pretty baller.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

got tuckered out on map07 and took a break to start up Doom 2016. I played this once when it first came out and haven't revisited it since. The first level felt better than I remembered tbh, I think the only thing I didn't like by the end was how much most levels were just a series of arenas. But now I love series of arenas with 1000 enemies thanks to playing decades of custom doom wad piles. And ready to game.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

tmfc posted:

adding to the chorus of people saying that voxel doom is pretty slick. have had no issues running it using vulkan. makes it feel more like quake
I said this in Games but it works just fine with the 10x monsters mod, no slowdown whatsoever:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

uh oh i think i figured out this mappers favorite iwad

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

the bfg replacement is amazeballs...had to save a lot on map06 but in the end i did not die on the epic 500+ monster slaughter in the final room. felt pretty baller.

its pretty neat. i feel like it isn't maybe used to its full potential in the two [? i think, unless theres a secret one earlier idk] levels its in + the wonky autoaim and/or generally weird mouselook make it a really spectualar way to instagib yourself. theres some room over room/bridge shenanigans in the last map where it would like autoaim to a baron aboe me and then i'd get exploded byh 10 micro balls or w/e. oh well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

uh oh i think i figured out this mappers favorite iwad

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also been playing the wads they've released on Switch in chronological order, working on a 90s selection called Revolution! that strikes a nice balance between pretty basic level design + theming around real world stuff. Seeing a toilet in doom must have been some mind blowing poo poo in 1997. it's really easy tho which is good bc I'm using analog sticks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit it's from 2001. Oops

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

Edit it's from 2001. Oops

Too late. You must die now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

reached the final boss of heartland. mind = blown

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

phew

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
been playing doom64 on and off over the last few weeks and im not really enjoying it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ArfJason posted:

been playing doom64 on and off over the last few weeks and im not really enjoying it.

It’s doodoo.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

you will keep shooting barons and insanely powerful pain elementals until morale improves

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the first time i played doom 64 i thought the game was broken because it was too dark to see anything so i returned it to blockbuster and exchanged it for duke nukem 64 which had no music

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 18, 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the first time i played doom 64 i thought the game was broken because it was too dark to see anything so i returned it to blockbuster and exchanged it for duke nukem 64 which had no music

Lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

doom 2016 is pretty fun except for the weapon challenges, i dont really like being pigeon holed into a playstyle, but the upgrades are really worth it so i shall bear this burden.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

doom 2016 is pretty fun except for the weapon challenges, i dont really like being pigeon holed into a playstyle, but the upgrades are really worth it so i shall bear this burden.

good news you can mostly use the ssg thru the whole game. fortunately the devs have determined the right way to play by making doom eternal with no ammo and epic lore + brain smoothening battle passes!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
doom 2016 may have had epic lore as well idr anytime there was a whiff of cutscene i started hammering the escape key

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

good news you can mostly use the ssg thru the whole game. fortunately the devs have determined the right way to play by making doom eternal with no ammo and epic lore + brain smoothening battle passes!

I really like the PG in this the exhaust move is really satisfying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

doom 2016 may have had epic lore as well idr anytime there was a whiff of cutscene i started hammering the escape key

There's a lot of codexes but all the cutscenes have been like 30 seconds long and it's like. What are you doing doom guy. You can't close the portal to hell. You will regret this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

There's a lot of codexes but all the cutscenes have been like 30 seconds long and it's like. What are you doing doom guy. You can't close the portal to hell. You will regret this.

oh yeah i forgot about the codexes. maybe ill replay doom 2016 i haven't played it since 2016 and learn all the lore this time