Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonoMan posted:

This is all stuff that happens pre-books though right? And, as far as I know, is based off of more encyclopedic works instead of narrative things. So I'm interested to know what they're basing their complaints about the characterizations off of. I could be definitely wrong too. I have a coworker who absolutely will not watch them. A huge Tolkien nerd and won't even give them a chance. Just straight up says he saw enough of the pre-production press to know he won't like it which seems... dog whistle-y.

I mean I feel the same way and it's because of what I know about what they're allowed to write about and who is doing the actual writing (untested writers/producers under Amazon execs thumbs).

Like let's not make any criticism or lack of enthusiasm of the project be a dog whistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

I think the deal is it cannot connect in any way with the original film or Hobbit trilogy, which is so bizarre.
It's not very well known but the LOTR movies were actually based on a book that this tv show is also based on

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Well yeah, obviously. It's more like the stylization and logo treatment, and no same actors and so on.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I didn’t notice much weird about the lotr canon so far but I’m not a huge Tolkien nerd, the ur-halflings are cool tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's based off of the appendices of LotR and they can't use anything from the The Silmarillion.

To be more specific and pedantic it's the lotr and the hobbit film rights are owned by Middle Earth Enterprises who bought it off the Tolkein estate in the 70s then licensed it to New Line. A weird video game company named Embracer is about to buy Middle Earth Enterprises.

Warner Brothers, which owns New Line, contends they still are honoring the contractual requirements to own this license. That's why there's a lotr anime supposed to come out in 2024.

This doesn't include the television rights. So Amazon bought the TV rights to the lotr and hobbit books only. The actual in depth histories of the second age were not part of this purchase. So we got the bare minimum ages and dates mentioned in the appendices and a few songs sprinkled in the books as the foundation of this show, run by people that don't have a history writing fantasy.

Gonna hold off until the season finale personally and there's good reviews of it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There are never going to be good reviews of it, because everyone on the entire Internet is apparently either racist or some sort of tedious LOTR snob or both

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's this thread amd the Couch TV thread

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think the bigger point is if you're already convincing yourself to hold off till the whole season is out for reviews, you'll be able to find enough reviews to convince yourself to not watch it at all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I feel like in this thread and others oriented towards media there tends to be plurality of views that leans towards something being good or bad. This is esp helpful as there are a few folks from previous posts that seem to like what I like and there are other folks I recognize that have way different standards for what they like than I do.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked it a lot. It's a proper spectacle. I don't know or care about the pre-book LotR lore, though. Morfydd Clark is an awesome casting choice for Galadriel.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I would rather just watch the thing I’m interested in and not let the internet hive mind bias my impression.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

remigious posted:

I would rather just watch the thing I’m interested in and not let the internet hive mind bias my impression.

I mean that makes sense of there weren't a 100 different shows. Am I saying something that's so crazy? The trailer didn't grab me, the production and writing staff isn't impressive, and there's alot of other things I'd rather watch, unless I'm hearing overwhelmingly good things.

E: for God's sake I still am in the middle of finishing BCS

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Watch faster!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

BonoMan posted:

This is all stuff that happens pre-books though right? And, as far as I know, is based off of more encyclopedic works instead of narrative things. So I'm interested to know what they're basing their complaints about the characterizations off of. I could be definitely wrong too. I have a coworker who absolutely will not watch them. A huge Tolkien nerd and won't even give them a chance. Just straight up says he saw enough of the pre-production press to know he won't like it which seems... dog whistle-y.

Well two of the characters I mentioned do appear in the movies. It is set way pre-book but elves live so long that some of them are alive in both times from what I understand.

But also I think you’re underestimating people’s ability to treat a single line of text as unchangeable gospel and get mad about anything that contradicts it in an adaptation.

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 6, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i watch everything on 1.5x speed so i can consume more

im just kidding but if I'm watching cable at a hotel or something they definitely speed up everything and its really annoying

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A MIRACLE posted:

i watch everything on 1.5x speed so i can consume more

im just kidding but if I'm watching cable at a hotel or something they definitely speed up everything and its really annoying

A lot of shows are sped up to 1.25x to fit in time for more commercials without trimming the episodes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I only ever notice it with Law and Order on WeTV, they've sped the theme song up so much it just sounds weird.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shageletic posted:

I mean I feel the same way and it's because of what I know about what they're allowed to write about and who is doing the actual writing (untested writers/producers under Amazon execs thumbs).

Like let's not make any criticism or lack of enthusiasm of the project be a dog whistle.

I'm talking to the point where he absolutely won't watch it at all. We had a big discussion about it at lunch. He's a HUGE fan of the original films and he won't even try to watch this because he "has read about its production."

That's just ridiculous. Even when the few of us that watched it told him it was good he said "nope not even going to try it." I mean... that's not rational. Especially if you're willing to watch and enjoy the films. And also it's combined with more intimate knowledge of who he is as a person. I'm not making that assumption in a vacuum based off of his comments about this one show. He's very "anti-woke culture."

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 6, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I probably need to give Rings of Power another shot. I think now that I'm prepared for the awful analogies (boats float better than rocks because they look up?) I can try to enjoy the rest more.

HotD has the benefit of being based on actual books rather than appendices so I can watch some Alt Shift X on youtube to explain a whole bunch of stuff to make it more interesting for me. I'm enjoying it as much as I enjoyed a lot of pre-S7 GoT.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Timby posted:

A lot of shows are sped up to 1.25x to fit in time for more commercials without trimming the episodes.

Wasn't there a thing about Ross from Friends sounding whinier for this reason?

Is there a way to pitch down audio while doing this? I am really dumb about sound stuff.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I loathed the final two seasons of GOT (though it never fully bounced back after 4) and I am very much enjoying HoD.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is there a way to pitch down audio while doing this? I am really dumb about sound stuff.

There are ways of changing the speed and pitch of an audio file independently, you're effectively taking microscopic snippets of the sound file and repeating them or cutting one in every x snippets to make it longer or shorter. This is the same principle at the heart of autotuning as well.

It doesn't always work super well; if you imagine doing something similar with a very small pattern in an image, say stripes that vary between being 3 and 7 pixels wide, and just repeating two pixels every 10. It would almost work, but the more you do it the more obvious the pattern and artifacts become.

Beyond artifacts, some sounds don't really sound right if they're much shorter or longer. Think about a T sound, you can't really hold it out and you can't really make that sound much faster than you do in normal speech, so when you talk faster or slower you're usually just making vowel sounds, aspirated sounds, and the pauses between words longer or shorter. Audio stretching can't really compensate for that, so pretty soon it sounds like poo poo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

HotD has the benefit of being based on actual books rather than appendices so I can watch some Alt Shift X on youtube to explain a whole bunch of stuff to make it more interesting for me. I'm enjoying it as much as I enjoyed a lot of pre-S7 GoT.

He's been doing like 3 hour life videos after each episode to do Q&A, which is interesting, but just far too much, and the questions get repetitive. He puts out new videos explaining each episode on Friday evenings, which are really good.

A Song of Ice and Fire was originally intended to have time jumps, and GRRM ended up completely rewriting books 4 and 5 to remove those time jumps, but ultimately created more story problems. I like how HOTD is openly embracing the time jumps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All my Friends Hate Me (hulu) is really fun. The final scene is ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP6Q34uRdPM

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 7, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh paramount+ and showtime are merging

News is a week old but first I’m hearing of it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

All my Friends Hate Me (hulu) is really fun. The final scene is ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP6Q34uRdPM

This is a really great movie and I'm glad I watched it but holy poo poo it was uncomfortable heh.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Steve Yun posted:

Huh paramount+ and showtime are merging

News is a week old but first I’m hearing of it

Not quite.

They're both owned by Viacom. They have a bundle where you can get Paramount+ and Showtime Anytime (think HBOGo). Before you had to go to each website separately but now you can watch Showtime content through Paramount+.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Showtime seemed like the odd man out as far as streaming services are concerned, I'm surprised it took them this long to merge with another service.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1567407695413534721?s=20&t=kEkhC_wi10xtshVlT41QJg

For those of you superfans waiting for it to hit Netflix!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol this is a real netflix tweet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My complete lack of desire to watch Morbius has finally paid off as I now get to not watch it for free

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

How does that work does my existing paramount account give me showtime stuff

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Walmart+ is supposed to come with a Paramount+ subscription as of this month. Anyone know how to activate it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A MIRACLE posted:

How does that work does my existing paramount account give me showtime stuff

It's an add-on for a few extra bucks more a month, much like Prime Video channels. If you sign up for the bundle before October 2, you can get it for $7.99/month /
$79.99/year with the Paramount+ Essential (ad-supported) plan, and $12.99/month / $129.99 year.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

are there any good shows on showtime? i havent watched showtime since like, weeds season 3. their shows are good for a bit and then seem to peter out

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

are there any good shows on showtime? i havent watched showtime since like, weeds season 3. their shows are good for a bit and then seem to peter out

You're correct. Every decent series they have starts out good but then goes on wayyyyy too long and turns to poo poo.

They do have sequel/reboot series of the movie American Gigolo dropping this week. Jon Bernthal is the lead. I'm interested in it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Interesting. I'll give that a shot.

When I first took notice of Jon Bernthal on TWD, I didn't think much of him - he seemed kinda one-note to me. But after following him for a bit in stuff like We Own This City... the man can act.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

A MIRACLE posted:

Yellowjackets is great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

isaboo posted:

Interesting. I'll give that a shot.

When I first took notice of Jon Bernthal on TWD, I didn't think much of him - he seemed kinda one-note to me. But after following him for a bit in stuff like We Own This City... the man can act.

If you haven't seen the movie, definitely check it out (it's on Paramount+). It's a great Paul Schrader neo-noir flick from 1980. Giorgio Moroder does the music and Blondie does the main song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mystes posted:

Lol this is a real netflix tweet?

Not like people are going to watch it because it's a good movie, might as well lean into the meme.