Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Luggage posted:

This was the lead dev's statement regarding a "Mechanist too strong" thread on Reddit two days ago:
[...] To address the issue at hand, yes, we're keenly aware of the mechanist incursion. To reference my balance forum post from Aug 18, it certainly seems to be 'dominating the meta'. No details to share today, just wanted to let y'all know we're looking into it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/x6ph69/comment/in9879t

I finally bought EoD, so Mechanist getting nerfed would make me sad, because it's actually really fun to play. I'm not even that good at it, using a mix of rares and exotics, and still getting between 5-9k dps (I installed arcdps because I was curious).

My Elementalist is pretty consistently 6k dps in full exotics, which is also on the super low end, but I'm not using any buffs other than the free birthday food. It's a lot more work to play, and while fun, it's kind of disheartening to see how much lower damage it is for so much more work.

My super chill warrior build is 3k dps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My personal conspiracy theory on the mech dominance is aside from it being the pet favorite of the main balance lead who designed it has been caught saying he has buffed simple weapons because he disliked playing complicated ones (and hated engineer's kits) is that they wanted the most simplistic braindead dps spec imaginable so they could get consistent tests done on pve encounters, or because the balance devs needed to play the game and perform to a certain level to not get fired.

For those concerned mech is going to be nerfed, we've expected nerfs for months, but every single balance patch has been buff after buff or "nerfs" that actually end up as a net positive or buffs for holosmith that actually buff mech more, I finally geared up a brand new Sylvari Engineer I named G-Mo and his robot Mech Santos after the patch that made it so all the mech skills could be crtl-clicked to autocast, removing the only buttons the engineer had to actually press to do top damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 7, 2022

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as someone who is a recent returner and can’t speak towards historical balancing of professions, it does seem like the messaging and adjustments after the dumpster fire that was the June update has been more along the lines of “lift up underperforming weapons and builds” and not “make the good or easy classes bad now”.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Honestly I don't see how they nerf it to the point it's unplayably bad so I wouldn't worry about it.* Like they could just do a flat -10% damage to every single mech damage ability and it'd still be good DPS. Where it really shines is all the utility it has access to and the way everything just works so well together. So unless they go truly apeshit and dismantle key parts of the class and how it plays it will still be strong and synergistic.

*Glances nervously at 1-dodge Mirage neutering

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Okay, thanks for settling my concerns then guys, I'll happily truck along with my engineer then.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Speaking of nerfs to faceroll classes, I mostly play power reaper, and had a bit of a panic about the death perception nerf, but I'm wondering if I'm overreacting. More crit chance out of shroud is ok I guess, but the whole build is sort of built around 'always be in shroud and if you're not build up life force to get back in shroud and go back to critting on 70% of hits'. Is there a new power reaper meta I should be aware of?

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

:iiam:

Degs fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 25, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My personal conspiracy theory on the mech dominance is aside from it being the pet favorite of the main balance lead who designed it has been caught saying he has buffed simple weapons because he disliked playing complicated ones (and hated engineer's kits) is that they wanted the most simplistic braindead dps spec imaginable so they could get consistent tests done on pve encounters, or because the balance devs needed to play the game and perform to a certain level to not get fired.

For those concerned mech is going to be nerfed, we've expected nerfs for months, but every single balance patch has been buff after buff or "nerfs" that actually end up as a net positive or buffs for holosmith that actually buff mech more, I finally geared up a brand new Sylvari Engineer I named G-Mo and his robot Mech Santos after the patch that made it so all the mech skills could be crtl-clicked to autocast, removing the only buttons the engineer had to actually press to do top damage.
O
M
G

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a list of "daily" stuff I've been doing to make a steady income of gold, skip any you lack the unlocks or patience for:

Meta timer zerg stuff:
At reset Tequatl > Leyline man in timberlane and gathering everything before it spawns > TD Teku Nuhoch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before Chak Gerant > AB Eastwatch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before AB meta > Grothmar valley for the ooze boss for a 2g key > Time for Dragonstorm right after ooze dies to end the run.
Another event chain to keep an eye out for is Karka queen (check for blooming flowers on the minimap for 25s each) > Verdant brink night bosses, can camp for the matriarch above the middle waypoint early with a skyscale > Pinata in crystal desert if instance isn't full, doomlore shrine is another event that takes a minute to do after showing up late and gets you 1g.

Then just keep an eye on lfg for dragonfall/dragonend which give 4g/15g in materials for the boss kill and dragonfall is very high gold/hour from all those chests and events.

None-meta timer stuff for daily gold:

Drizzlewood coast vendor to buy cheap keys and trade cheap materials towards mystic clovers and mats.
Home instance gathering and converting 25 quartz to charged quartz and Guild hall gathering and using converters to turn HoT materials and ascended mats into loot bags (hot converter is a lot of gold return usually)
Park alts you don't play regularly at valuable jumping puzzles chests (use teleports to friends if they are piling up) and loot them each day.
Dailies, Daily PvP and WvW can be quicker then most PvE dailies and more rewarding, if you don't like pvping much save the reward potions for "daily reward earner"
While waiting for Pinata, use griffon/skyscale to reach the rich quartz vein and then fly over to Sanctum of Nabkha to loot the chests there, afterwards head to Tomb of Primeval kings to grab the chests there.
While waiting for Drakkar, hit up the red > green > blue large/medium essence chests, with griffon/skyscale it takes a few minutes to open all of them and it's a lot of valuable materials.
Flax farms across HoT and S3 are pretty decent gold for the time it takes to reach them and harvest them.
There are 3 Grand/Magnificent chests in the Echovald eastern treetops that give 1-2 jade runestones each and only take a couple minutes to reach via skyscale/griffon I like to hit up.
Killing 10 krait a day for the sunken key is pretty good gold.

And here is probably the fastest gold in the list:
Check Seitung Province LFG for "Levi Farm" you can make around 20g/day from killing 10 leviathans that show up in seitung/kaineng, usually if you see someone in subgroup 2 there is one up right now, you can kill 2 per map instance before you need to either swap characters or do a event to reset your ambergris limit.
Fishing in general is really really high gold/hour if you are maxed out for it and check what baits you need, do a bit of fishing in the downtime during metas, get lucky and get 2g+ per legendary fish.
And be sure you rush the end of the Arborstone mastery track for Globalization so you can grab 5 summoning stones each week that are worth 6g each or doing weekly EoD strikes for the green shards to buy 10 mystic coins per week and lotsa liquid gold for all 4 strikes.

According to gw2effiency doing this has been a steady climb since I started playing again.

Thanks for this post, this is really helpful.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking from personal experience, when I went really hard to try and make sure I was maximizing my output every day, I found myself burning out on the game pretty quick. There's a lot you can do, but if you find yourself getting tired of it, just don't do it! Step away from the game for a while if you need. There's no subscription, so you can always come back later. Even the annual festivals are more or less the same every year, so there's nothing permanently missable there. I've shelved the game and picked it back up many times over the past decade, and missed Dragon Bash and the Festival of the Four Winds this year before coming back again, but I and my account are no worse off for it.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
It would be nice if they could address the Mechanist situation without nerfing it into the ground. On the other hand, I don't see how they would ever do that in a game system where at the other end of the spectrum specs like Condi Untamed, Power Chrono, half of the Ele builds and Alac Axe Mirage exist. They have essentially 27 elite specs (36 if you include core) to account for and unless they specifically target the elite spec skills and traits, there will always be secondary effects. Either to the other elite specs if they touch base class mechanics, skills or traits. Or potentially all other classes if the change how a certain boon or condition works in general

But I think it's not just the OP state of Mech that's driving the 33% of the population number that seems to be a thing now, but also the seemingly (!) desolate state many other elite specs or classes as a whole are in. Mech and Firebrand are basically good to great in all kinds of content except for high sPVP, while others struggle in at least one department. That has got to contribute in the sense of players going "well, clearly ANet doesn't want me to play X, so I guess I'll play Mech now".

Luggage fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 7, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Oh is that news to you?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I only just picked up mechanist this weekend and didn't follow the class change/balance news since EoD came out so yeah. Setting those skills to autocast didn't even occur to me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Works on Ranger pets as well!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

MajorBonnet posted:

After looking into it, mechanist will receive a minor buff while at least one non-meta class will be nerfed based on something one guy did that one time. Probably Untamed.

As a warrior I accept that I have another nerf in my future.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cutedge posted:

As a warrior I accept that I have another nerf in my future.

I'm honestly surprised axe never got nerfed to give them precisely 0 good weapons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I will never forgive them for giving sword warrior a bunch of bleeds and also final thrust

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another gold making tip, if you've done EoD to get your jade bot, install one of these
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scavenger_Protocol:_Magic_Trophies
It'll be a constant trickle of income as you play and you'll eventually notice you got 250 unopened bags in your inventory full of mats, including T6.

The only downside to it is you'll get the occasional chat message that you found something... 250 times.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I’m using the jade sliver recycler though I’m not sure what to spend the slivers on. Save up for the leather box for 1600? The fact that it’s almost triple the cost of the other mats seems to indicate to me that they know something is fucky with their economy.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Mount booster is the best sensory array. Gotta go fast!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I have a lvl 80 booster and no idea what class to use it on. I'm torn between Thief, Warrior, Revenant, and Guardian (I have an 80 everything else) but I really don't know what's the most FUN. I really like my Reaper Necro and my Mirage Mesmer, but I never really got the hang of Elementalists (I just never feel like I'm playing it as well as I could), and my Ranger just seems boring to me. I'm leaning Thief, but I don't have any heavy armor classes and that might be a fun change of pace too.

Any recommendations?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Those are all extremely fun. I like warrior the most out of them, but I'd say guardian is the coolest of the bunch. I'm sure most people would say revenants are great.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
With the engi trait 'aim assisted rockets' what exactly counts as a missile here?

quote:

Missile hits launch a rocket at your target. After enough rockets have been fired, an orbital strike is called instead. This trait has an internal cooldown

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Anything that comes out of a gun counts as a "missile". Basically its a game way of saying "mace and kits don't trigger it"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Guildenstern Mother posted:

With the engi trait 'aim assisted rockets' what exactly counts as a missile here?

Any projectile that can be reflected more or less. Most rifle and pistol skills, grenade and mortar kits, and the mech autos (when ranged traited) are the main sources. There's some other miscellaneous skills like mace 3 but I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Here you go have a giant jade coloured wave

Spat outta midjourney on a whim (was trying for a storm in shades of dark green and tried jade to see how it looks) figured it looked a bit 'jade sea' ish & figured it could work as fanart of a sort. I then tried to do any of the dragons without much success I can never quite get the number of eyes or faces or even heads right. I'll keep trying.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tambaloneus posted:

I can never quite get the number of eyes or faces or even heads right. I'll keep trying.

Zhaitan spotted

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Revenant would be my recommendation just because all three elite specs are viable and can be played tanky similar to your reaper and mirage

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Another gold making tip, if you've done EoD to get your jade bot, install one of these
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scavenger_Protocol:_Magic_Trophies
It'll be a constant trickle of income as you play and you'll eventually notice you got 250 unopened bags in your inventory full of mats, including T6.

The only downside to it is you'll get the occasional chat message that you found something... 250 times.

Woah, thanks!! I had entirely and completely forgotten the bot was even a thing, it's great!

So much stuff, yes! Shinies!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

I have a lvl 80 booster and no idea what class to use it on. I'm torn between Thief, Warrior, Revenant, and Guardian (I have an 80 everything else) but I really don't know what's the most FUN. I really like my Reaper Necro and my Mirage Mesmer, but I never really got the hang of Elementalists (I just never feel like I'm playing it as well as I could), and my Ranger just seems boring to me. I'm leaning Thief, but I don't have any heavy armor classes and that might be a fun change of pace too.

Any recommendations?

Guardian if you want a best-in-class support spec for raids/fractals and some really crazy good utility in the form of aegis/stability/cc/reflects for the team.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Rev and Guardian both have a variety of good options to play as and both can use Celestial gear well so I would look at those. Both of them are also boost candidates due to the leveling experience - Guardian is reportedly kind of slow (I boosted mine, can’t say) and Revenant unlocks its fixed utility skills slowly which puts some people off (i didn’t mind and dual swords Shiro just turns you into a blender when leveling so it was easy imo).

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Does anybody know if the earlier HoT missions have shortcuts when repeating them and going for achievements similar to the final mission with the Mordremoth fight?

I have Act 1 and 4 Mastery, but Act 2 has so many fucky ones nested in comparatively long missions like the chase with Faolinn or the ones during the three trials.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 8, 2022

Tongue-Tied
Mar 10, 2007

Pillbug

Tambaloneus posted:

Here you go have a giant jade coloured wave

Spat outta midjourney on a whim (was trying for a storm in shades of dark green and tried jade to see how it looks) figured it looked a bit 'jade sea' ish & figured it could work as fanart of a sort. I then tried to do any of the dragons without much success I can never quite get the number of eyes or faces or even heads right. I'll keep trying.

This is gorgeous and does look like the moment before the Jade Sea froze.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Make a Rev because they're so loving cool!!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tortolia posted:

Rev and Guardian both have a variety of good options to play as and both can use Celestial gear well so I would look at those. Both of them are also boost candidates due to the leveling experience - Guardian is reportedly kind of slow (I boosted mine, can’t say) and Revenant unlocks its fixed utility skills slowly which puts some people off (i didn’t mind and dual swords Shiro just turns you into a blender when leveling so it was easy imo).

Some classes like guardian and mesmer were slow to level because they didn't have a reliable always-on movement% increase like signet of air. As a consequence, they leveled the slowest. Now that you have a raptor this isn't a problem.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I can’t get into rev sadly. I don’t like how your utilities and weapon skills all use the same resource, it creates this annoying friction between the two. I also don’t love weapon swapping so the profession with “weapon swapping extra” as their mechanic just isn’t for me. They have rad animations though.

achtbarer
May 31, 2008
It’s wild that this game has been seeing a resurgence of new and returning things players, but it has really improved in a lot of ways and still continues to be its own brand of MMO.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ort posted:

I can’t get into rev sadly. I don’t like how your utilities and weapon skills all use the same resource, it creates this annoying friction between the two. I also don’t love weapon swapping so the profession with “weapon swapping extra” as their mechanic just isn’t for me. They have rad animations though.

I play base Rev with dual swords and never leave Shiro. YMMV but you don't have to swap weapons or legends.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I also don’t like excessive weapon/legend swapping, but with how Rev energy works you’re not using all of your available skills so it’s easier mentally/physically to fit swaps into your rotation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

… you’re not using all of your available skills …

*Laughs in quick herald*