Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1567182794681454603?t=A2VEkVgxNKueOiOOKHF4IQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Looks like all of that talk about a September release was false. October 13th it is!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Other flip 4 owners, can you see if your phone overheats while playing games? I had it for less than a week and I've been seeing some graphical glitches when playing apex and genshin. The performance is worse than the s21 I traded in. Just wondering if I need to go get it exchanged or it's just normal for this device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It should throttle, not glitch.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Bad news guys, I'm going to buy a Pixel on launch day for the first time ever. A showstopping hardware flaw is highly likely. Sorry about that. :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

there is hope

https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1567231278684033024

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

quote:

Pixel 6a devices will receive the update later this month

Wonder what else they managed to break trying to fix the FP reader.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My Pixel 5 suddenly started having extreme (several seconds) input lag as well as some touch inputs not recognized altogether.

Restarting the phone fixes it temporarily, but a few hours later it starts happening again. Is the kind of thing a factory reset could fix?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

smoobles posted:

My Pixel 5 suddenly started having extreme (several seconds) input lag as well as some touch inputs not recognized altogether.

Restarting the phone fixes it temporarily, but a few hours later it starts happening again. Is the kind of thing a factory reset could fix?

If it's a software issue potentially, you can try starting it in safe mode to see if it's a 3rd party app doing it

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 7, 2022

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

pulled the trigger on pixel buds pro. i was expecting to have something to complain about and feel buyers remorse at that price point but tbh they're pretty great, so far.

controls are simple and easy. fit is comfortable and doesn't feel like they'll fall out with the standard tips. build quality of the buds and case is solid.

i was almost ready to complain about volume, but it turns out that spotify is, for whatever reason, just WAY more muted than youtube music or other apps. this was a problem with my last headphones too (jaybird in-ear with a wire around the back of the head). once i put on the same album in youtube music i was satisfied with quality and volume.

the only little weird thing to note is that it's difficult to tell when active noise cancellation is on or off while listening to music, and it there's the slightest learning curve to figuring out what sound the buds make when you turn the feature on or off. while no music is playing, tho, it's very obvious whether ANC is on/off and it's nice to have the option to be able to hear outside noise or not.

overall, im very happy with the purchase and it has me more satisfied with sticking to the pixel ecosystem after having some thoughts about switching to an iphone. which i really dont wanna do.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

i was almost ready to complain about volume, but it turns out that spotify is, for whatever reason, just WAY more muted than youtube music or other apps. this was a problem with my last headphones too (jaybird in-ear with a wire around the back of the head). once i put on the same album in youtube music i was satisfied with quality and volume.

Turn off the volume normalization in Spotify's settings. I don't understand why they have it on by default, but it's really noticeable with buds.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

literally just waiting to see people in this thread "oh, okay, it's good now" before I upgrade to Android 13 on my Pixel 5

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

owls or something posted:

Turn off the volume normalization in Spotify's settings. I don't understand why they have it on by default, but it's really noticeable with buds.

didn't realize that was on. just turned it off and will report back, thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I like my new Flippy Foldies pretty well, but I have to say I'm kinda enamored with the OnePlus 10t that I've had my SIM in since Monday.

Don't get me wrong, it's a flawed device that makes it hard to fully recommend (software getting further from Google, camera system that really only has one good lens) but it's working double time to make up for that.

It's fast. Like SO fast. Easily the fastest and smoothest android device I've ever used and I haven't even felt it warm up past ambient (except when charging.)

It's also efficient. This morning I was 22 hours off charge, had 2.5 hours of screen on time since last full charge, 30 minutes of wireless Android Auto, and was sitting at 59%. Then comes the party trick. I plugged it in for 5 minutes. 5 minutes exactly. It took it up to 83% charge. It's because of that I don't really give a gently caress that it doesn't have wireless charging.

Couple all that with a goldilocks size (just a hair smaller than the Pixel 6 Pro) with a flat display and it's really kind of a joy to use for day to day stuff. There's never battery anxiety due to the power sipping nature of the device and the fact that you can add enough charge to make it through most of the day in the time it takes to grab your wallet and put on your shoes.

I'll get distracted by shiny shiny soon enough and move the SIM out of this phone, but I have to say it really fills the role of device that you really don't have to think about and just works.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

literally just waiting to see people in this thread "oh, okay, it's good now" before I upgrade to Android 13 on my Pixel 5

It's been fine on my 5.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hooah posted:

It's been fine on my 5.

I thought I saw people upthread complain about battery issues but maybe it'll be fine

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm not a fan of the lock screen notification for Pocketcasts having the playback bar on it, it's way too easy to accidentally hit it and jump to a random point in a podcast when I'm taking my phone or something else out of my pocket. Can't remember if the bar was there on 12 but I definitely didn't have this issue before the update.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If it's a software issue potentially, you can try starting it in safe mode to see if it's a 3rd party app doing it

I did this and yeah it seems like a 3rd party app, is there a way to find out which?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

idk if it's android 13 or what but the bandcamp app has been giving me issues recently.

the new media playback on the home screen/notification shade won't open the app when tapped. spotify, youtube, everything else works fine. it still does let me scrub through a track and play/pause.

also, i know this is a google home/sonos lawsuit thing probably, but when i cast the bandcamp app to my speakers, it works at first but then eventually inexplicably starts playing audio from my phone also. at that point i cant control anything properly and need to restart everything. pain in the rear end

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oof, apple killed the SIM slot. I'm not looking forward to that trend being copied.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

Oof, apple killed the SIM slot. I'm not looking forward to that trend being copied.

Yeah my first thought was this move really complicates those of us who like to gadget hop.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

idk if it's android 13 or what but the bandcamp app has been giving me issues recently.

the new media playback on the home screen/notification shade won't open the app when tapped. spotify, youtube, everything else works fine. it still does let me scrub through a track and play/pause.

also, i know this is a google home/sonos lawsuit thing probably, but when i cast the bandcamp app to my speakers, it works at first but then eventually inexplicably starts playing audio from my phone also. at that point i cant control anything properly and need to restart everything. pain in the rear end

I feel like that might be a bandcamp app/casting issue, because I have never had that happen on Spotify when I cast to my Google Home(s) and speaker groups.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
iphone continues to look extremely dated from the front with that ugly notch. Please hit a homerun with the P7, Google.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bull3964 posted:

the funny thing is they implied that international SKUs will still have the SIM slot, so the US models are just intentionally removing a feature they designed in anyway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah my first thought was this move really complicates those of us who like to gadget hop.

Yup, I know that T-Mobile requires you to call sometimes to switch eSIMs between devices for "fraud prevention."

Also, pour one out for carrier workers on launch day for the iPhone 14. Provisioning that many eSIMs in a day is going to be fun with a capital FU.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

the funny thing is they implied that international SKUs will still have the SIM slot, so the US models are just intentionally removing a feature they designed in anyway

It's already been proven by modders that past iPhones have supported dual physical SIMs, they just never did it. So this is really nothing new.

Really, it's just more lock in. If it becomes a process to try out another device, it's less likely to happen.

ESPECIALLY since while carrier support for eSIM is broad in the US, device support isn't universal. The phone I'm typing this on right now (OP10t) doesn't have eSIM support in North America.

So, making the jump to eSIM for you means no easy switch back to a different phone that may not support eSIM.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I feel like that might be a bandcamp app/casting issue, because I have never had that happen on Spotify when I cast to my Google Home(s) and speaker groups.

yeah agree. i know bandcamp has been playing around with updating and modernizing their app lately. there are a lot of nice changes but i think the issue im running into might be a byproduct.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

yeah agree. i know bandcamp has been playing around with updating and modernizing their app lately. there are a lot of nice changes but i think the issue im running into might be a byproduct.

To be fair, there are a LOT of oddities with Google Home casting ever since the Sonos bickering started. It's really annoying. Features vanishing and reappearing and partially vanishing and partially reappearing seeming at random.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

smoobles posted:

I did this and yeah it seems like a 3rd party app, is there a way to find out which?

Probably not an easy way. Have you checked battery stats to see if any apps are drawing way more power than they should be? Otherwise it's just delete them in batches until it stops and narrow it down until you find which app it is. I'd start with ones you installed recently.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't have any issues with the Bandcamp app or notification widget, but I only use it to play a few albums per week, just to stream new releases to see if I like them. I also use plugged in USB earbuds when listening to it.

Android 13 on a Pixel 4a.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yesterday I noticed that the option to update the Google Play Store was accessible on my Pixel 6 on Android 13 and had reappeared on my Motorola One 5G Ace running Android 11, and both phones were able to install it successfully. I don't remember reading any explanation why the option went away in the first place, but it appears to be resolved now.

These phones are on different carriers - Verizon Prepaid for the former and TracFone (using Verizon towers) on the latter, so it seems unlikely that was a factor.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

torgo posted:

I have a strange issue with my Pixel 6. It's not really a problem, it's just something really weird that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced.

Somewhat regularly, the lock screen "Now Playing" will identify Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Rey while I'm sitting at my computer. When no music is playing at all. The only sound is the ceiling fan and my computer fans. I never even heard the song until I looked it up when I was searching to see if anyone else had the issue.

Is my room tone just a perfect match for some portion of the song? Could it be picking it up from a neighbor's house, even if I can't hear it at all and it's never anything else? Is Lana Del Rey stealthily whisper singing behind me and hides whenever I turn around?
Lana Del Rey is trapped in your walls. You need to dig her out of there.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CLAM DOWN posted:

To be fair, there are a LOT of oddities with Google Home casting ever since the Sonos bickering started. It's really annoying. Features vanishing and reappearing and partially vanishing and partially reappearing seeming at random.

I just completely gave up on Google Home and went back to Alexa. Every loving month was some other stupid bullshit with volume control or speaker pairs or voice commands, all seemingly attributed to their slapfight with Sonos

Also the current Echo Dots sound way better than the pill shaped Google speakers

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just got 21 simultaneous notifications of the kind when Google wants to push an article from your News Feed at you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pixel 5 decided to not have a working screen anymore. Straight up, I like the idea of having basic basic android, but Googles build quality seems pretty poo poo. Had to dig out an old LG Nexus and got hit with every possible old phone trick. Background was my Ex, had to install a million updates, gently caress around with Googles account recovery bullshit. I just need Spotify to work so I can go to the gym and not listen to their terrible music, it's all I ask.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress I ordered a fold 4

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any indication that the Pixel 7s will have that screens that support really low refresh rates? I see Apple has adopted them for their Pro phones this year so I'm hoping it's slightly more mainstream on the Android side.

Also, did Apple just keep last year's SoC for this year's regular iPhones?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I picked up a used car and bought an android auto capable deck off of amazon. Works fine, but I have to keep jacking up the volume on my phone for the music, which in turn then means the next time I see a story on some social media site its deafening because its the same level. Any way to make it default to max when connected to the car and revert back to mid when not?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

How do I turn off the Assistant commute time notification? When I go under settings and tap the notifications on this screen:

I get this blank screen:

I thought that's where the option was before, but this hasn't worked on my 6a since I got it, on both 12 and 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any indication that the Pixel 7s will have that screens that support really low refresh rates? I see Apple has adopted them for their Pro phones this year so I'm hoping it's slightly more mainstream on the Android side.

Also, did Apple just keep last year's SoC for this year's regular iPhones?

It depends on if Samsung will sell them 1hz LTPO panels or not.

And yes, they used the same SoC for the regular iPhones. There's very little reason to get an iPhone 14 over 13 unless the camera hardware bump really shows promise. Let's also appreciate that apple is still selling a $800 phone with a 60hz refresh rate.

I will say, the marketing is masterful. The whole tech social sphere is losing themselves over the animations around "Dynamic Island" and no one has touched on a the usability nightmare of moving a shitton of touch targets to the worst place possible on a big phone who's OS already has a lot of bigphone UI issues.

All of the dynamic information is really cool, assuming the data driving it is good and really that's where it falls down. Having a dynamic flight tracker on the home screen or on the top of the screen doesn't do you a ton of good when your flight still says it's on time and leaving in 5 minutes according to the airline when in reality your plane hasn't even gotten to the gate yet. I would be really looking forward to a bunch of real time tracking fedex notifications telling me my package was arriving 3 hours ago when it only is in the label stage.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 8, 2022