Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

gently caress those roommates. She's moving out and shouldn't pay for bills on a place she doesn't live at anymore. It reads like the roommates knew she was leaving but even if not she doesn't owe them poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not going to my wedding anniversary party?

quote:

Using a throwaway account.

My wife 'Tamara' (27f) and I (29m) had our first wedding anniversary very recently. Tamara wanted to have a big party to celebrate, because it's our first and also because we had a relatively scaled back wedding due to restrictions. She booked out a restaurant, ordered a custom cake, etc and seemed to have had fun planning everything. I was onboard with everything until a few weeks ago. My brother and his wife were in a serious accident, he died on the scene and my SIL was taken to hospital, and she died the next day. This hit me and my family very hard, as you can probably imagine - and if all that wasn't enough, we got the news afterwards that SIL was expecting. It's just devastating and I'm struggling to process it. The issue first arose because I told Tamara that we should cancel, or at least postpone our anniversary party - we could go out to dinner together and do something just the two of us, but no party. Tamara said everything's been booked and planned and we can't cancel now. She told me to 'take my time' and think about it rationally, but honestly all my rational thinking said was that I didn't want to party in such a time, which I told her but Tamara replied things like 'would brother and SIL want us to put everything on hold' and 'a party like this might lift my mood a bit'. We had argued over this and I eventually told Tamara that she can party all she wants, but I don't want to be a part of it. She shrugged it off and said that 'I'd come around'. Again I told her multiple times I didn't want to go but every time she said 'I need to lift my mood' or 'it'll make me feel better' and things like that.

So the party was this past weekend and I didn't end up going. Tamara's been furious with me, that I made her look bad and let her down, and she cut the time short. My in laws have been on my rear end non-stop, saying that I could've just shown up for an hour or two and then made an excuse to leave, and I'm a terrible husband for abandoning my wife. So I'm here for third party opinions, if I was the AH for not attending.

i really hope OP isn't stupid enough to have a second anniversary

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

trickybiscuits posted:

Okay, now show the pictures after he cleaned.

Serious answer: make him hire a cleaner with his own money to teach him how to clean.

He's military. He knowns how to clean. He's pretending not to know how to clean at home because he doesn't want to do it. It's not even weaponized incompetence like some people suggest. He's just straight up faking not knowing how to clean because he doesn't want to do it and probably thinks it's "his woman's" job.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

"I'm sorry my husband should be here for the party but he's too busy being all sad brains about his dead brother and pregnant wife. I know right, what an rear end in a top hat!".

People grieve very differently and man, a triple tragedy like that would put most normal people off having a party just because of optics/decorum. That must have hit the family hard (with exception of his wife ofc). If it made her 'look bad' it was probably cause she was still insisting on having the party with what had happened. Or at least in my sane rational world.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Troublemaker posted:

It sounds like the sister AND Tara have decided Tara should give the OP another try, and giving how shittily she bailed on him knew he wasn't going to go for it unless they trapped him into spending the entire wedding with her.
The only way to handle this is for him to tell Tara he hates her in a detailed and incredibly cruel way right before the wedding starts. Then SHE will be trapped with HIM. Checkmate!

ccubed posted:

Sister is playing matchmaker to get them back together.

Yup. Also, what the gently caress is an entrance dance? (eta I found a video titled "Best Wedding Reception Entrance Dances" and I'd rather quit the wedding party and burn down the venue than do that poo poo)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

trickybiscuits posted:

Yup. Also, what the gently caress is an entrance dance? (eta I found a video titled "Best Wedding Reception Entrance Dances" and I'd rather quit the wedding party and burn down the venue than do that poo poo)

Well you don't get to say that and not link it :v:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Why in the hell doesn't Tara just loving, I dunno, apologize for ghosting him? Clear the air a bit. You know, something adults do on a regular basis?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Quackles posted:

Well you don't get to say that and not link it :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hdos0XZnQ

also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ8lPW0gz5U

I don't want to hear about letting people have fun at their own weddings. This is cringey as hell. The only way I want to dance in front of an audience at a wedding is in a spectacular historic dress that makes the bride's look like a bin liner, and with David Bowie.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

trickybiscuits posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hdos0XZnQ

also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ8lPW0gz5U

I don't want to hear about letting people have fun at their own weddings. This is cringey as hell. The only way I want to dance in front of an audience at a wedding is in a spectacular historic dress that makes the bride's look like a bin liner, and with David Bowie.

This is a warcrime.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nothing in the post or the replies explains why OP didn't start by... talking to the kid?!!?!?

I dunno, the brain damage seems to explain that fine for me

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Why in the hell doesn't Tara just loving, I dunno, apologize for ghosting him? Clear the air a bit. You know, something adults do on a regular basis?

Somebody admitting they were wrong about something and apologizing is not how stuff ends up on these Reddit forums. Further digging into an entrenched position of wrongness and expecting the other person to be reasonable is the only option.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for pulling out of being my best friend's maid of honor?

quote:

My best friend and I have known each other since we were like 3 and we have always been super close. She's the first of us to get married and I am so happy for her and was so happy to be asked to be her maid of honor. What she and I were not expecting was for her fiance to consider my ex such a close friend now that he's his groomsman. We knew they kept in touch after I broke up with him but we had no idea they were friends. What's even worse is my ex is using this as a way to try and force his way back into my life. She gave me warning when she found out and I agreed to one night out with all six of us (my best friend, her fiance and their bridesmaids/groomsmen). I was paired with her fiance's brother who is the best man and my ex was with her sister who is bridesmaid. But he would not stick around her sister at all. He kept coming over to me, he tried to get me to take him back, he joked that we should go and hook up, He touched me a few times and I had to brush him off. He was just intense.

Our breakup happened a little over two years ago. We were together for five years, lived together, had talked marriage and babies, and then I heard him mock me to his friends and say disgusting stuff like I was so boring as a person but at least my body was good so he could drown out the rest of me and just focus on my looks. He mocked me for being sensitive. He also mocked the fact I had low self esteem from my childhood relating to my family and he told them details only he and my best friend knew.

My best friend asked her fiance if there wasn't anyone else. He told her the two of them got so much closer in the last two years and he truly considers him his closest friend now, so no. He said we should be able to deal with being around each other for a few hours. She asked if there was anything she could do to make it easier. But I just can't be around him like that. I can't have him following me around and trying to win me back. He humiliated me. He said things that I never would have expected out of him. Five years of my life he got, to treat me like that.

We agreed that I should pull out of the wedding. My best friend is so upset and she's upset with her fiance. He's now angry with me and he told me I should have sucked it up for my best friend and followed through on being her maid of honor because it meant so much to her. He told me I was being petty and I should be able to ignore my ex for the sake of my best friend.

I do feel bad. I hate doing this. But I know I would feel like I am trapped in hell if I have to deal with my ex throughout the wedding. There is no doubt in my mind I would be miserable. She knows this too which is why we agreed. But I hate doing this to her. I always dreamed of being in her wedding and now.

AITA?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

These guys are a piece of work. I think best friend should pull out of this wedding, too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soylent Pudding posted:

Well, at least the best friend went so far as to side with OP about leaving the wedding party, I want expecting even that much going into it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
but we can't uninvite gropey, he's my closest friend

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

house of the dad posted:

Somebody admitting they were wrong about something and apologizing is not how stuff ends up on these Reddit forums. Further digging into an entrenched position of wrongness and expecting the other person to be reasonable is the only option.

This really is the eternal answer, isn't it? Someone embroider it on a pillow.

Here's a fun one.

AITA for telling my daughter to stop reading tarot cards for money?

quote:

My daughter (14) has recently taken up an interest in tarot cards and she’s been doing readings for several family members and her friends. What I didn’t know was she’s been doing it in school too and for money at that. One parent got my number and called me complaining, said her son blew all his savings on readings within a span of four days. I got embarrassed and paid her back and talked to my daughter. I asked her if she actually believed in what she was doing and she said she didn’t but it was nice to make money from it. I got disappointed and said she was making a fool out of her classmates. She said, “they are fools, it’s not my fault.” I told her I want her to stop immediately or she’ll get into trouble, and that she needs to find a more legitimate way to make money if that’s what she wants. She got upset and said she’s put in a lot of work in learning how to read tarot cards. She complained to my husband who told me I’m being unreasonable and that it’s not her fault if her classmates believe in stuff like tarot but I think her classmates are too young to know any better, and it’s only a matter of time before the school finds out and gets involved.

I'm kinda torn here because I don't think the mother is a horrible rear end in a top hat here, but I'm in a weird spot where I think she's wrong but not unreasonable. Clearly the daughter doesn't believe in it so is she being dishonest in selling these sorts of services? Or is the entertainment value she delivers enough for the price of admission? The whole "doing it at school" is slightly sketchy but the worst thing that will happen is someone telling her to stop, so the stakes are really low here. That someone spent "all of his savings" (at age 14) doesn't really mean jack to me.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for freaking out when my male coworker brought me pads for my period?

quote:

I will keep it short. I work as a waitress in a restaurant with a bunch of other people including the co-worker I'm talking about (Let's call him Josh)

Now Josh was always a very sweet guy to me, not going to lie, although I don't consider him exactly a friend yet we hang out often, but I'm not sure that what he did was right this time or maybe I'm just over-reacting? I don't know.

What happened is when my shift was over, he called me to meet him before I get off and left, he told me that he knows that my period is very soon, how very physically exhausting it is for me (because he noticed that I get gut-wrenching aches sometimes), and I don't have a boyfriend anymore and I don't get paid enough so he brought me pads, chocolate and mac & cheese. I was puzzled because how could he know when my period would come, he said that he asked my female friend (who's also our co-worker) who told him that I told her that my menstrual cycle is constant, and she helped him know when and how physically hard it is on my body and some bunch of other stuff about me. She and I are very close and sometimes we talk about this, so I believed him when he said that she told him.

I kind of freaked out, I put the bag on the table where he can see it and I left as quickly as I can. It's been several hours after this and I'm kind of ghosting him at the moment, but I don't know if this decision is right. I just, this didn't happen to me before, did I overreact? I told my friend what happened, and she said that I might have overreacted because what he did was thoughtful. I need some time to sort out these feelings though.

Hmm...AITA?

here he is, the Nicest Guy

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

This really is the eternal answer, isn't it? Someone embroider it on a pillow.

Here's a fun one.

I'm kinda torn here because I don't think the mother is a horrible rear end in a top hat here, but I'm in a weird spot where I think she's wrong but not unreasonable. Clearly the daughter doesn't believe in it so is she being dishonest in selling these sorts of services? Or is the entertainment value she delivers enough for the price of admission? The whole "doing it at school" is slightly sketchy but the worst thing that will happen is someone telling her to stop, so the stakes are really low here. That someone spent "all of his savings" (at age 14) doesn't really mean jack to me.

The Daughter is going to get Nightmare Alley'd or be an accessory to someone getting Nightmare Alley'd

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Doing it at school is likely to get her in trouble, but beyond that separating fools from their money is a time honored way to make a living.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Foo Diddley posted:

Nicest (just a tab bit creepy) Guy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most money-fool-separators are smart enough not to separate fools from all their money at once, that just draws this kind of attention and endangers the hustle

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

haveblue posted:

Most money-fool-separators are smart enough not to separate fools from all their money at once, that just draws this kind of attention and endangers the hustle

She's young, she will learn.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

8one6 posted:

Doing it at school is likely to get her in trouble, but beyond that separating fools from their money is a time honored way to make a living.

Isn't that just the most American thing? :patriot:

I'm assuming this is in the US for comedy purposes.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah I dunno, I guess we can have the whole discussion about whether tarot is just cold reading or not (I would vote for we should not go down that derail), but it's kind of a bummer to have somebody doing tarot readings explicitly for the purpose of separating money from people they think are dumb. Like, I've gotten them before, I think it's cool to get them done by somebody who genuinely cares about the craft of doing it.

That said, yeah I guess materially the biggest issue is that it seems like something the school would crack down on.

Foo Diddley posted:

I really hope she meant "consistent" rather than "constant" because if not, oof

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Lobe posted:

She's young, she will learn.
Forget the long con - if the fool tips, you're caught - you'll do time. Never do time. And don't go dressin' like that, showin' off! Any blind man can spot you.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

house of the dad posted:

Yeah, jeez, haven't you ever seen a romcom? The only way situations like this get resolved is by forcing the couple into close proximity at an emotionally charged time, not by (ugh!) acting like an adult, admitting you did something that hurt somebody else and that they may not want to forgive you for it.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I got a shockingly accurate tarot reading last weekend and it made my day. Tarot is real guys.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Im willing to bet that most people doing readings for money dont believe in it, so if she's doing it the "proper" way like any other conman, I don't see the issue.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

MisterOblivious posted:

He's military. He knowns how to clean. He's pretending not to know how to clean at home because he doesn't want to do it. It's not even weaponized incompetence like some people suggest. He's just straight up faking not knowing how to clean because he doesn't want to do it and probably thinks it's "his woman's" job.

That is the definition of weaponized incompetence.

AITA for making a peanut butter joke when my girlfriend is dealing with her dying grandmother?

quote:

All I said is "More importantly.......where is my jar of peanut butter?"

I eat a lot of peanut butter and always keep a jar beside my bed. Today my girlfriend's grandma was admitted to the hospital. The grandma is 90+ and has been deteriorating for years, although, is obviously very important to my GF.

My girlfriend was telling me about her grandma's serious health problems and I noticed my peanut butter was missing from by night stand. After my GF was finished speaking, I said the above question to lighten the mood. It is commonly known in our household that I ALWAYS have a jar on my nightstand, so I figured this would lighten the mood or make her giggle.

She responded with "You're a f*ckin rear end in a top hat" and then she asked me to leave the house. So now, I'm in the car, locked out, waiting to see if I'm an rear end in a top hat or not.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for making a peanut butter joke when my girlfriend is dealing with her dying grandmother?

quote:

I know it was off color, but we've known this day was coming for like 5 years. It wasn't untimely. Some tragedies need humor to get through. Maybe my timing was just too soon

marking my calendar so i know when it's okay to make your tragedy all about my ~wacky peanut butter hijinks~

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Time to ~~~LiGhTeN tHe MoOd~~~

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Well, that relationship sure ended in a Jif

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Captain Hygiene posted:

Seems like the GF is a little choosy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So does he eat it or...

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So does he eat it or...

Thankfully he did explicitly say eat versus "I go through a lot of peanut butter" but at the same time, keeping peanut butter on your nightstand is a green flag for those wondering whether you're into freaky poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

he'd rather have a jif than a gf

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

That is the definition of weaponized incompetence.

What MOS teaches you that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Thankfully he did explicitly say eat versus "I go through a lot of peanut butter" but at the same time, keeping peanut butter on your nightstand is a green flag for those wondering whether you're into freaky poo poo

Certain things aren't mutually exclusive. I eat a lot of cucumba but I don't keep one by my bed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rain dogs posted:

Im willing to bet that most people doing readings for money dont believe in it, so if she's doing it the "proper" way like any other conman, I don't see the issue.

Eh, if I was the mom I'd be worried too. 14? If a higher status child gets annoyed she could end up socially ostracized at school. And if she's in the states the chance of someone deciding tarot is demonic is not negligible. Some kids get scared of her doing "witchcraft" at school and things get weird.

She's making pocket money at the risk of dire teenage drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Or a red flag if they already knew about your allergy...