Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It's a "complete the set" bundle, so the price you see will be reduced if you already have some of the things in it.

"Real" prices should be these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is Cicconia going to spoil anything from Umineko, at least on the episode that’s out already? It’s on the Steam sale and the idea of getting into a WTC from pretty much the ground floor is awfully tempting…

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finish umineko

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

my brain won’t lemme continue until I’ve solved more of it and that requires rereading it and it is so. freaking. long.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is Cicconia going to spoil anything from Umineko, at least on the episode that’s out already? It’s on the Steam sale and the idea of getting into a WTC from pretty much the ground floor is awfully tempting…
Not as far as I remember.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it doesnt spoil anything but we've been sitting on the ground floor for almost 3 years so no rush really

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

lets hang out posted:

it doesnt spoil anything but we've been sitting on the ground floor for almost 3 years so no rush really

Someday... :negative:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

No, not really. There's some high level thematic stuff but only in so much as if you played Umineko you'd recognise a repeated concern of Ryu.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

fez_machine posted:

No, not really. There's some high level thematic stuff but only in so much as if you played Umineko you'd recognise a repeated concern of Ryu.

....is it child abuse? I bet it's child abuse :(

I haven't even loaded it up yet - got back on my Umineko kick - but I am really irrationally irritated that Ciconia is a Latin (?) word unlike the other two titles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Storks have many stories surrounding them, like in Aesop's (6th century BCE) fables The Farmer and the Stork and The Fox and the Stork. The first fable begins with a farmer plowing his fields, sowing his seeds and spreading his nets. These nets catch several cranes who hopped behind him picking up the seed. Along with the cranes tangled in his net, the farmer discovered a stork with a broken leg. The stork begged the farmer to spare his life, arguing that he was not a crane, but a stork. He pointed to his feathers and told the farmer that they didn't resemble a crane's feathers in the least. The farmer laughed at the stork and said, "I have taken you with these robbers, the cranes, and you must die in their company."

idk this seems to bode well

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Steam Deck verdict: it's way good for VNs. Umineko has 'unknown support' which basically means they didn't test it at all for it and you might have to figure out a control configuration that makes sense to you (or just download the one from the guy with 6300+ hours logged in the Question Arcs alone, which is what I did and it works like a dream). Ciconia and Root Double and I think Fata Morgana are all fully verified compatible right out the box.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

michel bollinger's life really sucks

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Michel Bollinger’s No Good, Very Bad Life

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I finished the main bit of Fata Morgana a short while back (loved it and am pleased to sad-chuckle at the last two posts) and jumped pretty much right into Requiem.

But then not too far in, the thing is making me choose someone to get the festival flower and it just totally stopped me dead due to my own special confluence of decision-related brain troubles.

Somebody tell me it makes no real difference or otherwise encourage me to plough ahead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I genuinely don't really remember but Requiem is like even more straightforward/linear than the main game is so I'm quite sure it doesn't matter.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1543402678167826432?s=20&t=mXorxMDRAJG4yodwfSdsAQ

:supaburn:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Amagami managed to accomplish something most of those Harem style games don't where I'm actually torn between two of the Girls and feel bad for two timing them. I planned on going for Morishima cause she's closest to my irl type, but I had to fill some time blocks waiting for the rest of the route to unlock so I started hanging with Kaoru. Now that I've seen how into the MC she is it's giving me regrets that I keep having him pursue someone else, and someone who wasn't initially into him. The fact the game managed to make me care enough despite the game being rather generic is something. The structure itself is pretty cool, or maybe the presentation as I think the game is far more linear than it lets on. Junichi is a loving weirdo tho

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Amagami managed to accomplish something most of those Harem style games don't where I'm actually torn between two of the Girls and feel bad for two timing them. I planned on going for Morishima cause she's closest to my irl type, but I had to fill some time blocks waiting for the rest of the route to unlock so I started hanging with Kaoru. Now that I've seen how into the MC she is it's giving me regrets that I keep having him pursue someone else, and someone who wasn't initially into him. The fact the game managed to make me care enough despite the game being rather generic is something. The structure itself is pretty cool, or maybe the presentation as I think the game is far more linear than it lets on. Junichi is a loving weirdo tho

The Amagami English patch finally came out? How is it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty good, the guy had to spilt it in two patches one for the younger girls and one for the older, but I've only run into a few untranslated scenes and it was small things like the dudes waking up dialogue. I have been having problems with hangs on saving but that might be a pcsx2 problem. Overall it seems good.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Pretty good, the guy had to spilt it in two patches one for the younger girls and one for the older, but I've only run into a few untranslated scenes and it was small things like the dudes waking up dialogue. I have been having problems with hangs on saving but that might be a pcsx2 problem. Overall it seems good.

Welp, I have no confidence for improvements in the near future so I'll give this version a shot. Hopefully, this translation gets enough people interested that they'll fix the rough edges.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Be warned, I'm getting unavoidable crashes on transition from Day 30 to Day 31. Maybe don't choose Morishima and Kaoru to run at the same time. Maybe never save, idk it's pretty annoying. The game is just active enough to make playing through the whole thing again a pain in the rear end.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I started 428 Shibuya Scramble, but stopped temporarily after GAA came out. I picked up 428 again recently after finishing GAA, but am considering dropping it permanently this time. What’s ironic is that while 428 has snappier dialogue and is better edited than many VN’s I’ve played, the clunky interface and inability to fast forward through dialogue you’ve already seen makes it seem much longer than it probably is.

I’m stuck between 11am and noon. I’ve picked every option for all five available characters and can’t get anything other than a Bad End, “keep out”, or “to be continued.”

Is the payoff worth fighting through these issues? Has anyone else gotten stuck at this point, and were you able to figure it out, or did you have to use a guide? I’d hate to have to cheat this early in the game but this really getting aggravating.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No guide needed (although you might need one if you want to see all branches rather than solve the game). If you find yourself with only bad options it means you need to go back to change something seemingly unrelated. Something that feels like a suboptimal choice earlier from another character's point of view might actually be the trigger you need, and if you reflect on your game overs you can usually piece together the chain of events that leads to your failure, as they're pretty fairly clued in.

I think the game is worth it as some parts are really stellar, although I also think there's a point halfway through where the game becomes noticeably weaker (notably because my fave the best character suddenly starts acting pretty differently just to fulfill the cliche the plot now needs them to be), and then even more near the endgame. I remember during the last stretch being all like "what the heck did a completely different writer like someone from Type Moon come in to write that part" and then couldn't help laughing when the credits confirmed it.

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 12, 2022

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

hepcat posted:

Is the payoff worth fighting through these issues? Has anyone else gotten stuck at this point, and were you able to figure it out, or did you have to use a guide? I’d hate to have to cheat this early in the game but this really getting aggravating.

If you don't mind giving a brief outline of the Bad Ends and Keep Outs you're getting, I could give you a hint. You want everyone to reach "To be Continued", as that unlocks the next hour - but you may need to revisit the decisions you made with a character even after you finish the hour with them, as it's possible a decision might not impact them, but cause a bad ending for a different character.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Any thoughts on The Centennial Case : A Shijima Story, particularly on PS4? It's on sale for $35 currently, don't think I've seen much talk of it here (positive or negative).

Great Ace Attorney continues to be Good as Hell. :dance:

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I think the general consensus was that it was a little too short.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Read After Burning posted:

Any thoughts on The Centennial Case : A Shijima Story, particularly on PS4?

No particular opinions on the PS4 edition since I played on PC, but I think the PS5 edition is supposed to be the best (with 4K video)? The PC version seemed to have lower resolution video than I expected.

Anyway, this one felt like watching a J-drama with occasional light gameplay. Most of the gameplay pretty much amounts to matching tiles (clues) to each other and you can do it without ever thinking about what they mean just by looking at the very prominent symbols on them, and then you have to answer questions about who you think did what and so on. There's an odd review phase in between these two that basically amounts to asking your assistant character if he thinks your theory is correct or not, but the answer is kind of roundabout. So, pretty light on the gameplay, but that's fine. Near the end, however, there's a chapter where suddenly the game swerves into this almost Myst-like puzzle gameplay for a couple scenes which is far more challenging than anything you've done up to that point. Weird swerve, honestly.

In terms of the story, it was all right. It's not the best story I've seen, nor the worst. It has one or two twists, but most of it is fairly straightforward as far as murder mysteries go. I'm not sure I'd recommend it at full price, but $35 sounds okay.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Yeah, I'm a sucker for FMV games so I did really enjoy it, but you definitely have to be a fan of watching productions struggle to not look like a ropey TV show. I really enjoyed the performance of the main detective girl, and it was the way they did the cloud-atlas-ish (there's got to be a better point of reference than that but I can't think) thing of having each time period's story presented with the same actors, slotting their modern day characters into a story being told in the main character's head based on accounts she's reading.

And wow yeah that sudden swerve into full on puzzle hardness came out of nowhere, and then was gone just as fast. It was strange - everything before then was just kinda breezy jigsaw puzzle pattern matching that you could kinda half-claim was based on guessing clues (but was mostly just falling back to making symbols match cos some of the leaps in logic were Pretty Bold).

I loved the presentation, and though it was short in visual novel terms it felt like a decent length to me as something that had higher production-costs-per-minute. But that might also be feeding into how I love VNs but really struggle to read books off my teevee for 50 drat hours.

Edit: I almost forgot! Most of the actors in it are really decent - or at least good as far as my not-japanese-speaking-rear end could tell. But oh boy, there is one guy. This one guy, is just... on a different planet to the rest of the cast, he's so terrible and it becomes hilarious. Excuse the "point my phone camera at a TV" video (the game disables all the built-in playstation DVR stuff), but here is that one guy trying to act... guilty-but-not-suspicious in an idle choice background loop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_ZiOKwYEQ

Lord Bob fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 13, 2022

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

hepcat posted:

I started 428 Shibuya Scramble, but stopped temporarily after GAA came out. I picked up 428 again recently after finishing GAA, but am considering dropping it permanently this time. What’s ironic is that while 428 has snappier dialogue and is better edited than many VN’s I’ve played, the clunky interface and inability to fast forward through dialogue you’ve already seen makes it seem much longer than it probably is.

I’m stuck between 11am and noon. I’ve picked every option for all five available characters and can’t get anything other than a Bad End, “keep out”, or “to be continued.”

Same. (the getting stuck part, i don't remember what hour it was) Tried literally everything there was to try at some point, and it still wouldn't let me progress. I don't think there was a guide out there, at least around the time of release, or I'd use it for sure, the game seemed neat and worth finishing, but not if it was gonna resist it so loving much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are a few annoying timelocks like that usually involve picking choices mid-event or the like to get past Keep Outs. However there are definitely guides out there as I used one to clean up all of the bad ends like immediately after the game came out in English.

Anyway I finished the 2017 remake of Kamaitachi no Yoru, which was one of the first VNs Chunsoft did back on the Super Famicom. Extremely formative in terms of having a VN with a lot of branching paths in a mystery-solving setting. Enjoyable enough for the most part and interesting historically but if you have any degree of expectation from playing more modern VNs like I did you'll probably find it extremely insubstantial. I'd argue that once you get the best ending in the Mystery route which is the first route available you may as well just stop really unless you're really curious because the others are various degrees of irreverent or shallow. By the time I was 75% or so of the way through I was just fast forwarding through all new text because it just wasn't substantial enough to care about. There is an extra route that was added to it by Ryukishi07 which was pretty good on its own but you have to get through a few routes so not sure if I'd call it worth it.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

HydroSphere posted:

If you don't mind giving a brief outline of the Bad Ends and Keep Outs you're getting, I could give you a hint.

Thanks for the responses Re: 428. I think the most likely problem is Minorikawa. I’ve only had a few scenes with him and he never makes it in time to stop his boss from killing himself due to being delayed by Kano. Could I get a hint on how to stop Kano from delaying Minorikawa’s taxi?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

hepcat posted:

Thanks for the responses Re: 428. I think the most likely problem is Minorikawa. I’ve only had a few scenes with him and he never makes it in time to stop his boss from killing himself due to being delayed by Kano. Could I get a hint on how to stop Kano from delaying Minorikawa’s taxi?

Hint:

Kano has a job to do; he shouldn't be taking any time out for his personal life.

More specific:

It's the first decision Kano makes in the 11:00 block.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hepcat posted:

it's one of Kano's choices, iirc choosing B: "No. Right now I've got a job to focus on" instead of A: "I should meet with Rumi and Shizuo while I still can" at 11:10

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Found a PS4 copy of Raging Loop at the local library and picked it up.

Cannot believe this was developed by JRPG Shovelware kings Kemco, of all devs. It's really scratching my Uchikoshi itch - it's the primary reason i haven't started Nirvana Initiative yet, even.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://noisypixel.net/occulticnine-new-world-officially-canceled/

Lol rip

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Found a PS4 copy of Raging Loop at the local library and picked it up.

Cannot believe this was developed by JRPG Shovelware kings Kemco, of all devs. It's really scratching my Uchikoshi itch - it's the primary reason i haven't started Nirvana Initiative yet, even.

Raging Loop is good as hell. One of my all time favs for sure

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

man i never even heard of this S;A entry

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
428 Shibuya Scramble: I’m stuck again in the end game between 6pm and 8pm, the game is not giving out any more hints, and I’m pretty sure I’ve tried every choice. I think the key is stopping Tateno and Canaan et. al., from going to Okoshi Pharmaceutical since that always ends in disaster, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to change their plans. Any mild hint here would be greatly appreciated!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
My memory's pretty fuzzy but around that point I had a problem that was solved by either making or otherwise changing the course of a phone call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Process of Elimination confirmed to be getting localized with a release date in early 2023 :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYo8QqqKUA