Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dareon posted:

I heard from someone that they are adding Beastmaster as the second Limited job soon. Which is cool, but I wondered what else they might include later and went looking through lists of jobs.

unless I missed a really big announcement somehow, there is no indication that beastmaster is coming any time soon. It's a reasonably likely second limited job but that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I want a new gathering job and I don't care what it is just let me click more nodes

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Mystic Knight would be cool. I'd see it as a reverse Red Mage. Mostly melee, but some utility spells and maybe a ranged spell phase.
Like Paladin but not a nerd tank.
Wow, I thought it'd be Time Mage after the Eden raids but our hammer job's here already?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah Beastmaster just had some establishing in Bozja NPCs.

That said now that we've got more advanced mammets thanks to Island Sanctuary I could see Puppetmaster (or Mammetmaster, I guess) as another option. Bonus point if your mammet is a sarcastic little poo poo with unique quotes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I assume the next DPS will share gear with ninja which limits the possibilities a reasonable amount

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

cheetah7071 posted:

unless I missed a really big announcement somehow, there is no indication that beastmaster is coming any time soon. It's a reasonably likely second limited job but that's about it
Nothing announced but I believe they said a while back that Beastmaster was a possibility as a limited job, on the same vein as Blue Mage. As GiantRock says above me the tie-in with Lyon and/or Pagaga from Bozja would be pretty simple to make. They've even added Pagaga's emote into the game for us to get! It's totally (not) a hint!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Corsair would be a cool tank if they wanted to change tack with it, would definitely have rad AF gear. Mch being so Ishgard focused and rogue giving way to ninja has deprived us of a good Lominsan pirate job (Warrior really aint it). Swashbuckling tank with harpoon and gunpowder skills...hell just give me anime Gangplank.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah a new caster would be great. I'm not sure what hasn't already been covered or absorbed into another job though. Illusionist from FFTA maybe?

But they're almost certainly going to go with a new Scouting gear job. They could probably do Mystic Knight/Fencer as Scouting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At the top of my head, unused casters include: Time Mage, Green Mage, Geomancer, Illusionist, Oracle and Calculator.

There are undoubtedly more FF jobs I've missed, and then they can always make them up or turn up something generic.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

If I had my druthers the next tank would be Beastmaster. It could use 1 handed axes and shields and would be the Tank with a Pet. (Much like Summoner is the DPS with a Pet and Scholar is the Healer with a Pet)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Calculator should be immune to the math portion of that stormblood boss lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Azubah posted:

Calculator should be immune to the math portion of that stormblood boss lol

In the sense that if you fail the mechanic the job sto e should be removed from your inventory

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

no one's really clamoring for a new caster like they had been for a new tank or healer in the past couple of expansions, but going by trends we are due for one more than any other role.

I don't have any ideas though, because red mage is the best it's ever been

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

S.J. posted:

Give me Time Mage as a dot class I will never stop saying this and yes it is different than ast theme
I'm not a fan of dot classes, but if it means getting Time Mage, sure.

My feeling has always to do something based on the "spell in waiting" mechanic. Spells that activate on a delay are basically just a dot. Maybe you have a system sort of like Sage where you have a modifier spell that sets your next spell to be "in waiting," and so you need to combine them for different effects? So like "spell A in waiting" + "Spell B" = damage + debuff, then you do a "B in Waiting" + Spell A" for dps, etc.

At the top of my head, unused casters include: Time Mage, Green Mage, Geomancer, Illusionist, Oracle and Calculator.

There are undoubtedly more FF jobs I've missed, and then they can always make them up or turn up something generic.
Gunbreaker was an XIV original, but heavily inspired by Squall and gunblades in general, and Sage a previously used job name, but from what I understand it's presentation in XIV is basically original.

I do wonder what an XIV original dps caster could be.

I wonder if there's anything particularly "Final Fantasy" that the job lineup is sorely lacking? (Sort of like GNB bringing in Gunblades) Or any common RPG archetyps? Like I kinda consider WoW to be missing a "tech" class and a "bard" class. But it feels like XIV has covered a lot more ground - I suppose Summoner doesn't really capture the "pet" class as much as most people want it too, but Beastmaster as many have said before, feels like it might be more fitting as a limited job.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

For me at least, the skill gulf between RDM/SMN and BLM is pretty huge. Once in a while I take BLM into a roulette and remember 'oh right, I'm terrible at this.' Whereas I can practically do SMN/RDM in my sleep, for most content. A caster that's somewhere between those in complexity/skill ceiling would be welcome for me.

Seeing as GNB was heavily inspired by Squall and Seifer, there could be other casters from older games that could inspire a new one, though off the top of my head the only thing that comes to mind would be taking inspiration from Terra and making something almost like a Reaper, but a caster. Except I don't enjoy the reaper gameplay either, too many buttons it feels like.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ffxiv is sorely lacking a blitzballer job

edit: pirate tank that dual wields cutlasses

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
We need a collab with Monster Hunter that brings in Switch Axe, Charge Blade, and Gunlance. Maybe Rise Bow, or Valor HBG as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if there's anything particularly "Final Fantasy" that the job lineup is sorely lacking?

The Final Fantasy mainline jobs are pretty much covered, at least from my perspective.

All of the FF1 jobs have representation - Fighter (and Paladin), Monk, Thief (and Ninja) on the frontlines, and Red/White/Black Mages in the back.

Nearly all of the Final Fantasy 4 jobs have representation (Dark Knight, Paladin, Dragoon, Summoner, White Mage, Bard, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, Engineer (Gunless Mechanist), Ninja) with the exception of Tellah, as a master-of-all magic Sage, and FuSoYa with a similar role.

5 and 6 bring in a few more, some you can consider hybrids or special to the specific game, but nonetheless I think of as FF jobs:

Time Mage, Berserker/Viking, Mystic Knight, Mime, Geomancer, Beast Master, Samurai, Chemist, Gambler and Pictomancer. Of them, Samurai is the only one with solid representation as a battle job, although themes and aesthetics are certainly shared in some.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

blatman posted:

ffxiv is sorely lacking a blitzballer job

edit: pirate tank that dual wields cutlasses
Pirate tank that has cutlass+pistol.

I'm sure the idea comes from another game, but I'm picturing them shooting into the air to call down a cannonball barrage as an AOE.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not a fan of dot classes, but if it means getting Time Mage, sure.

My feeling has always to do something based on the "spell in waiting" mechanic. Spells that activate on a delay are basically just a dot. Maybe you have a system sort of like Sage where you have a modifier spell that sets your next spell to be "in waiting," and so you need to combine them for different effects? So like "spell A in waiting" + "Spell B" = damage + debuff, then you do a "B in Waiting" + Spell A" for dps, etc.

Spell in waiting effects with different delays, and some big attack buff that only lasts for one GCD :allears:

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I want Time Mage purely for my personal aesthetics, but whenever I conceptualize a burst phase for it, I end up reinventing Wildfire. :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vitamean posted:

no one's really clamoring for a new caster like they had been for a new tank or healer in the past couple of expansions, but going by trends we are due for one more than any other role.

I don't have any ideas though, because red mage is the best it's ever been

other than the caster I think it's a toss up whether we get another tank or a ranged dps, but ranged dps feels more likely

then again it might also be like ShB where they didn't want to add another healer until they shook out balance properly

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My two (very left-field) dream jobs are a Wakka-inspired Blitzer as ranged, and a Gabranth-inspired Judge as melee.

C'mon, the Jecht Shot Sublimely Magnificent Jecht Shot Mk. III is an obvious LB3

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I almost wonder if sooner or later we might just get an expansion with only one new job, or none at all. On one hand, it feels like semi-important selling feature for an expansion, on the other, if they plan for the game to go another 10 years, 2 jobs every expansion is probably going to get hard to manage.

broken pixel posted:

I want Time Mage purely for my personal aesthetics, but whenever I conceptualize a burst phase for it, I end up reinventing Wildfire. :v:
I came to the same conclusion as I made my previous post lol.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

other than the caster I think it's a toss up whether we get another tank or a ranged dps, but ranged dps feels more likely

then again it might also be like ShB where they didn't want to add another healer until they shook out balance properly

I'd like to see another scouting dps but the devs seem to consider melee DPS as a whole so we probably won't get one for at least a couple expansions

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Celes is my girl and I would love to see Runic Mystic Etc Knight as a new tank. I see Runic as something in the line of DRK Blackest Night or SAM Third Eye, a mit that takes extra skill due to a short timer and rewards you for taking the hit.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know what kind of job Chemist will be: nonexistent

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Gun-based melee DPS to go with Sage/Gunbreaker/Machinist. Also somehow a gun caster.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

instead of a gunblade you have an entire bandolier of gunknives

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

The Final Fantasy mainline jobs are pretty much covered, at least from my perspective.

All of the FF1 jobs have representation - Fighter (and Paladin), Monk, Thief (and Ninja) on the frontlines, and Red/White/Black Mages in the back.

Nearly all of the Final Fantasy 4 jobs have representation (Dark Knight, Paladin, Dragoon, Summoner, White Mage, Bard, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, Engineer (Gunless Mechanist), Ninja) with the exception of Tellah, as a master-of-all magic Sage, and FuSoYa with a similar role.

5 and 6 bring in a few more, some you can consider hybrids or special to the specific game, but nonetheless I think of as FF jobs:

Time Mage, Berserker/Viking, Mystic Knight, Mime, Geomancer, Beast Master, Samurai, Chemist, Gambler and Pictomancer. Of them, Samurai is the only one with solid representation as a battle job, although themes and aesthetics are certainly shared in some.

To be more specific on what things have been borrowed from various FF classes:

• Time Mage: Gravity magic is usually Time Mage themed which AST has. AST also used to have time magic-esque abilities that extended buff durations. One of them remains in Celestial Opposition, but the functionality has been completed changed from a stun/buff extender to an oGCD AoE heal.
  • Berserker: WAR Berserk used to actually pacify the player disabling weaponskills after its duration, which kind of fits with the Berserk status effect from mainline games
  • Mystic Knight: Various enemies do have en-element spells that make their attacks certain elements. Red Mage has sort of taken some of this thematic very loosely with magic-imbued swordcraft but there might be room to make it more distinct. Aesthetically though, RDM has pretty much captured the fencer look IMO
  • Mime: Gogo shows up in Masked Carnival as a boss, complete with the do nothing boss gimmick for a bit
  • Geomancer: Shows up in the AST story quests, enemies with bells also show up in dungeons
  • Beast Master: Covered in depth, but seems pretty plausible as a limited job. Whips are also a prime weapon type that haven't been used yet if they don't want to go one-handed axe.
  • Chemist: This one doesn't have too much I think, but gameplay wise there's definitely remnants here and there with Ninjutsu Mudras, Dance Steps, and even Eukrasia capturing the "build your own move" kind of aspect
  • Gambler: Similar to the above, although I don't think FFXIV battle design particularly supports an RNG heavy class
  • Pictomancer: I've seen Artist-esque classes in other MMOs so I think an entire class based around it could be possible, although it would collide a little with the Chadarnook boss fight and the emotes from that

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's also helpful to keep in mind that the devs aren't married to legacy jobs or their presentation. astrologian, gunbreaker, and reaper may have mechanics from previous series but are otherwise brand new jobs, while dark knight red mage and sage had their scope narrowed to fit their ffxiv roles.

who the gently caress knows baby - we could get ranger in 7.0 and it'll be a scouting job that dual wields crossbows but due to their short range has to stay in melee

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 7, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hyper Inferno posted:

• Pictomancer: I've seen Artist-esque classes in other MMOs so I think an entire class based around it could be possible, although it would collide a little with the Chadarnook boss fight and the emotes from that

There are also Ink Mages in the Heroes Gauntlet, which what I was thinking about. They're generic Arcanists in practice but if you use your imagination a bit there's some overlap in themes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Maybe a Cannoneer that uses heavy artillery to create a sort of Black Mage-style ranged phys.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why stay restricted to the FF universe when you can steal jobs from other Squenix games like Ogre Battle. A Witch job that rains pumpkins and poisons on their foes. :v:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Furnaceface posted:

Why stay restricted to the FF universe when you can steal jobs from other Squenix games like Ogre Battle. A Witch job that rains pumpkins and poisons on their foes. :v:

I need this. Like I need this so bad

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Witch could be cool. Make Matoya the instructor, get more out of her.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What I was thinking for Scouting was a "Commando" job armed with a big knife and a bunch of grenade attacks that do different things. Which is basically Ninja, but a completely different visual style and I'm sure they could make the rotation different.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You could make any kind of rotation or skillset and flavour it however you want. Job lore and their mechanics are completely separate.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Witch could be cool. Make Matoya the instructor, get more out of her.

Why? It would be her saying every 5 levels "go away"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
From what they've said, we can be relatively confident that the next job is going to be a scouting dps and if they do a 2nd job, it's going to be a tank or a healer because they regretted double dps in sb. As for what they are going to add, I'm going to assume it's going to be 2 entirely new jobs and not some other ff job.

But for my wishlist, been thinking a lot about a pirate scouting dps. Dual wields a Cutlass and a pistol. The main gimmick would be an ammo system which is basically slow mudra. 3 abilities are a bullet you load and each does something different. Probably a single target shot, an aoe shot, and then some third thing, all on a 20 second cd. You can fire the gun early but you mainly want to get it loaded to 3 shots to use in your burst window. Give them a jump back move that leads into a quick rdm-style ranged combo and empowers firing the gun for big rannyu damage. 2 melee combo strings with a basic rotation of 123 gain self buff > 456 >456 > repeat. Lots of technically ranged moves, same as ninja. Just need to fill out with some ogcd's and done.