Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Here's the mentioned Roman Atwood podcast with Garrett Mitchell aka Cleetus. What you think of them it is very interesting talking about these issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GIK_MqikZA

Some of what they say is hard to swallow esp about the hate drives views but he's probably accurate. Somethign to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Tech or adventures is basically the only chance I'd have, and I don't have enough of either to keep a channel going. I mostly use YouTube for free video hosting. That being said, my lovely unedited cellphone footage of some lame 4 wheeling somehow went slightly viral on a jeep forum a few years back because I titled the video "Pat trying to destroy his RARE 5 SPEED ZJ" and oh man it got a bunch of hate-clicks, at least for me. 4900 views, totally unexpectedly, it was just some regular rear end weekend 4 wheeling and I titled it that because we all joked about how mad people got when they found out he was rock-bashing a 1 of 400 1994 factory 5 speed ZJ.

Somehow a totally unedited video of me demonstrating how to use tire spoons and break beads without a tire machine got 34k views.

None of these would actually grow a channel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kastein posted:

Tech or adventures is basically the only chance I'd have, and I don't have enough of either to keep a channel going. I mostly use YouTube for free video hosting. That being said, my lovely unedited cellphone footage of some lame 4 wheeling somehow went slightly viral on a jeep forum a few years back because I titled the video "Pat trying to destroy his RARE 5 SPEED ZJ" and oh man it got a bunch of hate-clicks, at least for me. 4900 views, totally unexpectedly, it was just some regular rear end weekend 4 wheeling and I titled it that because we all joked about how mad people got when they found out he was rock-bashing a 1 of 400 1994 factory 5 speed ZJ.

Somehow a totally unedited video of me demonstrating how to use tire spoons and break beads without a tire machine got 34k views.

None of these would actually grow a channel.

there are plant tubers I follow that seem to at least break even/fund an extensive hobby practice on nothing but 4k-50k view videos uploaded frequently, many without patreon/without an especially deep patreon

let’s say it doesn’t replace your job but it gives you $1-2k/mo to do car poo poo with, plus the ability to write off all your car poo poo and recreational business travel

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 24, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
MCM also had the good fortune to get in early. As has been mentioned it was just them farting around and recording because they could. The earliest videos are literally just them disassembling cars in Marty's mom's driveway. The fact that they both work in TV/film was a huge advantage too - they already had the gear and skills to make decent videos long before it was even a thing a youtube (for the most part)

edit: plant tubers lol

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 24, 2022

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Tech or adventures is basically the only chance I'd have, and I don't have enough of either to keep a channel going.

My son thought about starting a channel for fishing after we got a boat, and because he's actually really good at fishing for a 14 year old kid I supported him and said I would do the camera and editing work since I have a background in photography.

Thankfully he just blew it off or forgot about it because I wasn't really looking forward to spending hours upon hours on the computer editing :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Advent Horizon posted:

I’m still waiting for that OnlyVans link.

:golfclap:

Didn't want that to slip by unnoticed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I’m still waiting for that OnlyVans link.

https://vimeo.com/40393795

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

all time banger

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It finally happened. I've watched the YouTube channel "Neutral Drop" for years. It is a channel run by dead-car dealing brothers from New York that absolutely thrash the poo poo out of their acquisitions.

From neutral drops, to rocking horses, to no-mercy-reversies.... they've done god's work in thrashing the poo poo out of everything.

And I've always felt that they probably were chuds, but they always kept their content politics-free. Until today, when one of the brothers actively screamed "I love Trump."

Aaaaaaaaaand.... that's an unsubscribe and sad face. :(

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Asian guy at my workshop calls us round eyed fucks. It's good. Love that yellow bastard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Large Testicles posted:

Someone might want to hit up Ken Block about his newest sponsor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1561765433576869888

:whitewater:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2022/08/22/emails-show-omaha-police-planned-deal-far-right-linked-gun-shop

Also I can't find anything about Ken Block and 88 Tactical, where'd you see it?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 7, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pastrana is sponsored by black rifle coffee, might have been a mix up with him and Block

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/pages/travis-pastrana

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Block had a BRC sponsor sticker on his car In one of his recent videos.I’m pretty sure that conversation happened in a different thread tho

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I saw a BRC sticker on Pastrana's car in a recent IG post and was bummed about that. I unfollowed KB a while back because he posted so much wakeboard boatlyfe and side by side stuff which generally is a community of people I loathe to be around but he seems like a pretty inoffensive guy. His gymkhana stuff and Hoonigan videos are extremely AI and rad and I figure he's mostly a chill brodude who likes to rip.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone told him? It's entirely possible that either someone else manages sponsorships and/or he's not online enough to know that a coffee company is a front for white supremacists.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bar Patron posted:

Asian guy at my workshop calls us round eyed fucks. It's good. Love that yellow bastard.

...dude.

quote:

good.

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone told him? It's entirely possible that either someone else manages sponsorships and/or he's not online enough to know that a coffee company is a front for white supremacists.

I'd buy that. I'd actually prefer that be the case, if I'm honest.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

So I went looking up how to get ahold of Pastrana and Block and duh, they're both with Hoonigan so I sent them an email. Who knows if I'll hear anything.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

So I went looking up how to get ahold of Pastrana and Block and duh, they're both with Hoonigan so I sent them an email. Who knows if I'll hear anything.

Would also be worth shooting an email to Subaru of America and/or their Motorsports division. They're a big sponsor of Pastrana and it is their car(s) that have the Black Rifle logo on them. Heck, I just realized it is emblazoned front and center on their racing suits. https://www.subaru.com/motorsports.html

https://media.subaru.com/cgm-contacts.do?&mid=115&allImage=1

I'll try to punch out an email tomorrow.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 8, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Wow Subaru has really done a 180 on who they target with their subtle advertising.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Vape dudes in flatbrims all the way to.. vape dudes in flatbrims

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Not quite what they meant.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Ether Frenzy posted:

Vape dudes in flatbrims all the way to.. vape dudes in flatbrims

You do know Subaru was really supportive of LGBTQ people right? IDK if they still do it but for a long time, they'd put some money to a queer charity every time someone bought a car. Also the Forester was basically the official car of lesbians for a very long time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I'm not all that familiar with Knife Crime Island politics, but presumably Richard is defending the energy/utilities companies that are going to send everyone to a debtors prison come winter, or at a minimum kill pensioners and the poor.

https://twitter.com/richardbrunning/status/1567566428357726208?t=v5zly9Kz8sQBFVrNPCJedA&s=19

crossposting but Brunning is still an idiot

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Looks like they got a new host for HRG to replace Tony, lets see what she's about

Oh

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't those guys in California? Where to they find these assholes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

california is a big place with a great diversity of people, environments etc. it's not just LA and the Bay.

however more likely: OC is a huge assembly of the worst kind of white people in the world and shes probably from there

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I don't know why it felt so weird to write/send that email. I hope I didn't sound like a crazy person. I ended up sending this email to Jessica Tullman the Product Communications person at Subaru. I didn't want to spam everyone over there. The email I sent is below:

quote:

Hi Jessica,
I've been a Subaru owner and fan since 2000 following them in the WRC. I was elated when Subaru Rally Team USA started in 2001. I remember watching the X-Games events with excitement. This is part of the reason I campaign my own 1999 2.5RS in autocross and road racing. I've visited the HQ in Cherry Hill, NJ and had the chance to see the 22B in person. The organizations and initiatives that Subaru supports have always resonated with me spanning from the outdoors, animals, education, veterans, and equality.

Recently, I noticed that Black Rifle Coffee Company must be a fairly large sponsor of Travis Pastrana as their logo is prominently displayed on his Subaru racecars and race suit. I do not know if they are a sponsor of the Subaru Rally Team itself or just the driver. I suspect it is just the driver as their logos do not appear on Scott Speed or Brandon Semenuk. 

On the face of it Black Rifle Coffee Company is a veteran owned company and it is great to support veterans. Unfortunately, they do have some questionable marketing and associations. They have a style of coffee called Silencer Smooth which has the logo of SS. https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collections/coffee/products/silencer-smooth-coffee-rounds?variant=36581705926%A0

A very catchy name that rolls off the tongue for sure; but it is hard to ignore the connotation of the Nazi SS organization. It just feels at odds with Subaru's typical sponsors and values. I know that sponsorship contracts in motorsports are a minefield of complication and overlap. A driver and team each have their own sponsors they must keep happy. Generally they are not at odds.    

Thanks for your time on reading this email. I know that Subaru may not have control over this sponsorship; but I would be grateful if you could forward this email to the relevant individual(s).
Sincerely, Me

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Sounds good to me, but I am also part of the loony left. so

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

c355n4 posted:

I don't know why it felt so weird to write/send that email. I hope I didn't sound like a crazy person. I ended up sending this email to Jessica Tullman the Product Communications person at Subaru. I didn't want to spam everyone over there. The email I sent is below:

I don't think you sounded crazy. I think it made clear your longstanding association with Subaru and why you're concerned about how they're positioning themselves.

The number 88 is also a well-known piece of Nazi symbology. I probably would've mentioned it as well to make clear that this is part of a pattern of behaviour for BRCC.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Peanut3141 posted:

The number 88 is also a well-known piece of Nazi symbology. I probably would've mentioned it as well to make clear that this is part of a pattern of behaviour for BRCC.
Unless I'm mistaken 88 tactical is a lovely place that happens to sell black rifle coffee, the BRCC has SS which is bad enough but I don't see any 88 branding on the bag.

c355n4 the email comes across very well.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

If you step foot outside of the 3 metropolitan areas, you're surrounded by right wing assholes. I've got 4 neighbors still flying Trump flags.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BRCC has done much worse than wink wink nod "SS" but I don't remember what off the top of my head. Ask in the TFR thread and they'll have the whole file.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Arkansas, apparently.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

opengl128 posted:

Arkansas, apparently.

This fits my internal image of Arkansas despite only being there for a few days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Looks like they got a new host for HRG to replace Tony, lets see what she's about

Oh

Now I wish I subscribed so I could unsubscribe.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

BRCC has done much worse than wink wink nod "SS" but I don't remember what off the top of my head. Ask in the TFR thread and they'll have the whole file.

Their marketing "meme" that said "Starbucks want to hire 10 thousand refugees, we will hire 10 thousand veterans" and then having the picture of the refugees being a picture of ISIS fighters comes to mind.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Their marketing "meme" that said "Starbucks want to hire 10 thousand refugees, we will hire 10 thousand veterans" and then having the picture of the refugees being a picture of ISIS fighters comes to mind.

I was thinking about this, and I think I remember it being pointed out that Starbucks probably also employed more veterans than BRCC.

edit: although given the comparative size of the two companies, BRCC probably employs more veterans per capita by far.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 8, 2022

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

mobby_6kl posted:

Not dogpiling, but there were 6 million votes for Trump in California in the 2020 election. Some ways to break that down:

Looking at just "red states":
That's the combined population of Wyoming, Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Nebraska.
That is equivalent to the sum of Trump votes cast in Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, West Virginia, Idaho, Nebraska, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kansas, and Utah.

Alternatively, that is more people than the total (individual) populations of 32 of the states.

Only adding this context because red state vs. blue state binary presented in most media is a harmful myth.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You talking about the California that has 2 senators and a greater population than the 15 red states combined with 30 senators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

NitroSpazzz posted:

crossposting but Brunning is still an idiot

Thanks

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This, and also them jumping in to give Rittenhouse a T-shirt and some sort of support, at least initially. I'm sure they've done more.