Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

That seems like a waste of money. You could sell or trade-in your current watch and get a new 7 or 8 for a reasonable price.

It's admittedly a small thing to get hung up on, but I really like SS Space Black, don't like the new 'black' options, and am not going to buy an Hermes edition to get another SSSB.

edit: What a lovely page snipe.

I'm curious how large it looks next to a Garmin S7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vintersorg posted:

People already denting it? :lol:

LOL, I better order an S8 also as this bad boy is likely to be going back.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

.Z. posted:

It's admittedly a small thing to get hung up on, but I really like SS Space Black, don't like the new 'black' options, and am not going to buy an Hermes edition to get another SSSB.

I get it. I love the SSSB too but ended up with the midnight? aluminum because it was the closest this time around.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

People already denting it? :lol:

The bulbous shape of watch s1-8 is designed to minimize hits/dents. This new watch shape looks like it's explicitly designed to get ruined with flat surfaces and protrusions.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lol this is too loving obnoxiously large

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I never personally found the AOD to drain the battery any faster compared to having it off. Would suck to have the lower power mode to force it off.

Apple offering me a whopping $25 trade-in for my 44mm LTE S6. It's got some scuffs on the corner of the glass but, drat, 25 whole dollars. Guess I'll limp through another year of a poo poo battery with low power mode.

Mileage varies a bit but check ATT trade ins directly. That said, they don’t usually offer big trade ins like they do on the phones.

TraderStav posted:

My wife is due for a new watch so it's just a matter of an SE versus an 8. Have I pretty much summarized the differences?

No always on display on SE
No Blood ox and ECG app on SE
No Temp sensor on SE
SE has a smaller screen, I think it's the same size as her S2

I was gonna say the SE has a slower processor but I checked and the out the same one in the SE and the 8, so nice.

Personally, the screen for the 7/8 would still have me pick it over the SE for the $150-200 price difference.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Well the good news is that Apple pulled their head out of their rear end about band colors and you can just get a blue or green band now instead of that weird thing they did last year where every color was some kind of weird off-mark of the primary ones. The bad news is the only space black stainless steel models are Hermes so you have to buy a fashion-priced leather band with the Series 8 if you want it in black stainless steel. :negative:

Also no more Ceramic! I guess they want the Ultra to take the place of the Edition but its ridonkulous size means I have to use extremely ugly bands with it and I really don't plan on running a triathlon in the Alpines or whatever they had people doing in that ad.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Mileage varies a bit but check ATT trade ins directly. That said, they don’t usually offer big trade ins like they do on the phones.

I was gonna say the SE has a slower processor but I checked and the out the same one in the SE and the 8, so nice.

Personally, the screen for the 7/8 would still have me pick it over the SE for the $150-200 price difference.

Where my head is at right now, actually. Just need to find a deal on the S7, the $270 at Costco appears to have been expired.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apple Watch trade in prices TANKED around the S4/S5 years and they’ve never come back up. My S5 (stainless steel, 44mm, lte) is only getting $90 from both Best Buy and Apple.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TraderStav posted:

My wife is due for a new watch so it's just a matter of an SE versus an 8. Have I pretty much summarized the differences?

No always on display on SE
No Blood ox and ECG app on SE
No Temp sensor on SE
SE has a smaller screen, I think it's the same size as her S2
You can get an S7 on sale for like $170. I'd recommend that over an SE.

Look at the chunky bezels on that thing compared to the Series.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

American McGay posted:

You can get an S7 on sale for like $170. I'd recommend that over an SE.

Look at the chunky bezels on that thing compared to the Series.

Any links? Cheapest I'm seeing is $410 for a S7 GPS 45mm

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Typo sorry 270ish. Got mine on Prime Day but it was that same price a couple weeks ago.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Any links? Cheapest I'm seeing is $410 for a S7 GPS 45mm

Lowest currently is $329 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HDXJRB4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thank god I am a professional but NOT an ultra, so this has no appeal to me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/watchos-9-introduces-new-low-power-mode-on-apple-watch-series-4-and-later.2357181/post-31407075

Lower power mode disables:
- AOD
- Wifi (?)
- Background heart rate measurements
- Heart rate notifications
- Irregular rhythym notifications
- Blood oxygen measurements

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/watchos-9-introduces-new-low-power-mode-on-apple-watch-series-4-and-later.2357181/post-31407075

Lower power mode disables:
- AOD
- Wifi (?)
- Background heart rate measurements
- Heart rate notifications
- Irregular rhythym notifications
- Blood oxygen measurements

So it will keep counting steps and hours being standing up, what else?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Something that was mentioned briefly is the Nike watch faces are now available on all models. It’s in the RC that just dropped.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Thank god I am a professional but NOT an ultra, so this has no appeal to me.

Apple Watch: Are you a just a Professional, or Are you an Ultra?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Congrats to Ultraman on getting the perfect watch for him

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My first thought was that this watch seems to be designed for Ace Rimmer.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If the diving computer features are legit, then the value proposition here for any recreational divers is pretty huge. Even lovely dive computers get stupid expensive fast.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

.Z. posted:

I'm curious how large it looks next to a Garmin S7.

Oh hey, found a comparison (to an Epix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8w8vnXY_wQ&t=92s

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Something that was mentioned briefly is the Nike watch faces are now available on all models. It’s in the RC that just dropped.

Ah interesting, that distinction was probably a pain for Apple once they decoupled the bands from the watch bodies. They would have to stock two Watch bodies exactly the same except one was coded as a Nike one and had access to more watch faces.

Given that, never liked the Nike faces that much.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Does the temperature tracking do anything for those of us without a Uterus?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Does the temperature tracking do anything for those of us without a Uterus?

I was wondering the same thing. Isn't a fever one of the main signs of COVID? Knowing if you have an elevated temp or not would be good. I don't know how the watch setups work for kids, but can the parent/guardian see their health data or health alerts? Something like "Your kid has a fever. Go see a doctor" could be useful.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also sounds like it only takes your temperature at night so you have to wear the watch to sleep which seems odd.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Orders for the Ultra now kicking out to October. Guess I will have to try to do a band swap at the store when I receive it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How much have the sensors added since series 5 mattered? I think that’s the O2 and temperature?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

doingitwrong posted:

How much have the sensors added since series 5 mattered? I think that’s the O2 and temperature?

Temperature is new but O2 was in Series 6.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

doingitwrong posted:

The O2 sensor seems kinda lovely to me. :shrug: I had Covid and a finger sensor thing said my O2 sat was like 92-93% for a few days and basically you can’t tell anything was different if you look at the charts in Health.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

TraderStav posted:

LOL, I better order an S8 also as this bad boy is likely to be going back.

I have a feeling the Ultras will end up in the Apple refurbished store sooner than expected. I know some people will absolutely love it, but I can see the size and price causing buyers remorse. Noted Apple supply chain watcher Ming-Chi Kuo posted about Apple already cutting 14 and 16 inch M2 MBP orders something crazy like 20-30% (Bad time to invest in Mini LED manufacturers apparently) and wondering if that’ll trickle down to the iPhone Pro lineup as well- you’d have to think the halo-product watch would qualify as well.

TBF, I’d probably upgrade my my S6 if the refurb store had them at $650-675.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Oh poo poo, I've been saying for years that adding a dive computer would be killer, and they went and loving did it?!

I'll probably still hold off for a year or two and see what the scuba community thinks since my current computer still works fine, and I'll be curious to see what their decompression algorithm is like, but that's amazing and I'm sure I'll eventually have one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I have a feeling the Ultras will end up in the Apple refurbished store sooner than expected. I know some people will absolutely love it, but I can see the size and price causing buyers remorse. Noted Apple supply chain watcher Ming-Chi Kuo posted about Apple already cutting 14 and 16 inch M2 MBP orders something crazy like 20-30% (Bad time to invest in Mini LED manufacturers apparently) and wondering if that’ll trickle down to the iPhone Pro lineup as well- you’d have to think the halo-product watch would qualify as well.

TBF, I’d probably upgrade my my S6 if the refurb store had them at $650-675.

They're gonna sell a shitload of them. Garmin owns the $500+ smartwatch market, having a multi-day full-featured smartwatch to compete with the Fenix and others is gonna do gangbusters

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Laserface posted:

my S3 is fine unless you run any non-native app on it, then it is a slow piece of poo poo. I lost a bunch of tracking on my last 3 snow trips because the UI for one of the apps just wouldnt accept input due to being slow. (the timer was still running but i couldnt swipe over to the stop run page). SE on clearance pricing got me to jump. if im unlucky it will arrive before they announce the new ones so i can return it and buy an S8/new SE

Welp my SE never arrived and i dont think it will because its still processing so for an extra $100AUD I can get the brand new SE so imma do that .

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s wild that, eight iterations in, we’re at the same battery life unless you buy a specialized version of the watch. That a special mode to turn off a slew of features to double the life is something that would have been neat 2-3 years ago, but feels like kinda weak now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My personal battery curse aside, I also think it’s dogshit garbage that we only get “18” hours. We’re almost a decade into the Apple Watch and they haven’t moved the battery needle at all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah apple just turn the “more battery” knob

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Also charging 800 dollars to move the needle to 36 hours is such an insane criminal act lol.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Hate to become the gimmick exercise time account but I’m pretty sure exercise time improved steadily, the series 0 was only good for 1-2 hours? But maybe that’s just nostalgia talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If I want to replace my Series 2 with a stainless steel watch, is there any reason other than the crash detection to go with a Series 8 over a refurbed Series 7? They basically seem to be the same to me. Temperature monitoring isn't a consideration because it's pretty obvious if you have a fever or not, and I don't menstruate.