Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I have a seething hatred of brown recluses but everything else is welcome. Black widows get put back outside though.

What a snipe. Here's a cool wasp!

vortmax fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That is a very cool wasp.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tons of soldier beetles in the gardens right now, but I keep forgetting to take my phone out and grab pictures. Neat looking guys.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I count 8 or so today

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I was having lunch and suddenly saw this guy crawling across the floor in one of the offices in my UPS hub. I have absolutely no clue how he got here, it's solid concrete/asphalt for like half a mile until you hit swamp. And he's a gigantic sucker too, about an inch and a half long or so.

Is it just a regular ol' mealworm grub? It's way bigger than any mealworm I've ever seen, like half again as big.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Darkling beetle larva aka superworm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zophobas_morio
It's like a three course mealworm.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I've increasingly seen those when buying mealworms for chickens, so it probably escaped from a pet store shipment or the like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aha, that would absolutely make sense. We get tons of stuff shipped through ups, from ladybugs to preying mantis to turtles and live lobsters.

Think it's fine to let him free in massachusetts? I feel like the little guy got lucky by wandering up to me and if it's safe to do so I'll just let him free in the yard. there's shitloads of mealworm beetles milling about freely outside at night. If it's a feed critter I'm guessing it's already spread far and wide through accidental escapes and such anyways, right?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If you put it in a jar with some dirt. It will dig down and pupate. After a few weeks you will have a really neat Zophobas beetle.

Zophobas larvae are cannibals and won't go into the pupal stage if there are other Zophobas larvae around. They can be kept in a big bin in a pet store and will just stay larvae forever.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

vortmax posted:

I have a seething hatred of brown recluses but everything else is welcome. Black widows get put back outside though.

What a snipe. Here's a cool wasp!

That's a digger wasp. They catch caterpillars to feed their larvae. They are more closely related to bees than wasps, despite the name.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
This little guy hitched a ride on my mom's car the other day, looks like he was missing a leg but was otherwise in good spirits:

I'm guessing some form of katydid but the wings look way shorter than everything I'm finding on Google 🤔

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

axolotl farmer posted:

That's a digger wasp. They catch caterpillars to feed their larvae. They are more closely related to bees than wasps, despite the name.
Coooooool
It was very into these flowers

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Scarodactyl posted:

Darkling beetle larva aka superworm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zophobas_morio
It's like a three course mealworm.

Darkling beetles comprise a lot of species, included the common feeder mealworms.

Buy some mealworms at the store, take care of them, and they will eventually pupate and become darkling beetles of some type (most likely the common Tenebrio molitor).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXIuSXFGX-k

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug
Found a bunch of cute li'l hermit crabs at the beach, chilling in a tidepool doing crab things :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdMDdRoR2w

e:

Captain Invictus posted:

So I was having lunch and suddenly saw this guy crawling across the floor in one of the offices in my UPS hub. I have absolutely no clue how he got here, it's solid concrete/asphalt for like half a mile until you hit swamp. And he's a gigantic sucker too, about an inch and a half long or so.

Is it just a regular ol' mealworm grub? It's way bigger than any mealworm I've ever seen, like half again as big.

I bet it's an escapee. I buy boxes of superworms that ship via UPS, and sometimes they can worm their way out of the container. It's usually just a cardboard box with some screen stapled over holes for air.

1-600-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 31, 2022

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Went to a friend's house and saw this cute little leopard moth on their porch. These guys are NOT lantern flies just to be clear!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bula Vinaka posted:

Darkling beetles comprise a lot of species, included the common feeder mealworms.

Buy some mealworms at the store, take care of them, and they will eventually pupate and become darkling beetles of some type (most likely the common Tenebrio molitor).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXIuSXFGX-k

This was fun when I kept these to feed to my sugar gliders. Woke up one day and SUDDENLY BEETLES.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is this thing I saw crawling on the back fence? It is extremely fast.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
House centipede!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

newts posted:

House centipede!

Ah, so it is. Sounds like it’s a good thing to have around (outside, not in my house :qq:)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

MrMojok posted:

Ah, so it is. Sounds like it’s a good thing to have around (outside, not in my house :qq:)
They are unnerving as hell but they eat everything. I do not like them but I try to live and let live.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the babies move just like the adults but they're mega small and cute and i love them

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Tonight I did some grilling after dark for the first time in a while. At first I was annoyed at all the bugs at the light but I found a couple of friends also enjoying an evening meal so I guess it's OK

The web wasn't there when I started :3:

fake edit: and as I went to post I checked on 'em to find a fully finished web and watched 'em make a catch within moments of me turning the light back on

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

A bumbling bee of some kind

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

El Burbo posted:

A bumbling bee of some kind

From North America? Looks like a brown belted bumble bee, Bombus griseocollis.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Colorful fly that landed on my shoe

And a grasshopper just chillin

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's no fly, it's a cuckoo wasp. Beautiful little bug!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

From North America? Looks like a brown belted bumble bee, Bombus griseocollis.

Yep NA, western Wisconsin

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Anybody know what this is? NE US. Tiny little guy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mozi posted:

Anybody know what this is? NE US. Tiny little guy.

A nudibranch of some kind?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
oh to be clear this is outdoors, it's on top of a black metal fence post

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Don't touch it. It's a crowned slug caterpillar with spines that will gently caress you up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
sweet! it must have been very young as it was incredibly small

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Thank you all for the bone cleaning advice! I've got it outside on the porch right now, I'll decide on a course of action and get cleaning.

Saw this on a sunflower

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
A squirrell:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sorbus posted:

A squirrell:

holy poo poo great picture

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sorbus posted:

A squirrell:

Squirrel clutching it's chest in fear

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

Thank you all for the bone cleaning advice! I've got it outside on the porch right now, I'll decide on a course of action and get cleaning.

Saw this on a sunflower

What is that? It looks vaguely mantid to me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

Squirrel clutching it's chest in fear

When they do that they're grabbing their nips

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What is that? It looks vaguely mantid to me.

It's a jagged ambush bug. Phymata americana maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Turtle