Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Definitely different arms. I got the booster and flu in the same arm. It hurt for 4 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

If you generally have pretty strong reactions to vaccines, maybe don't do them at the same time. I did flu and COVID last year on the same day (one in each arm) and that night, the fever I ran sure was something else.

If you normally don't get any real effects from a shot, then getting both probably isn't a big deal, either.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If you get monkeypox vax, btw, it's under the skin instead of into the muscle so it's going to irritate the gently caress out of that arm.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I didn't react too badly to the last time I got a covid booster so I went for both in the same arm :sax:

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
To verify, this year's flu shot update is out and what you'd get if you went to get a jab?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I got both omicron booster and the flu shot today and the lady who did them told me it didn't make a difference and most people she's done get both at once.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MixMasterMalaria posted:

To verify, this year's flu shot update is out and what you'd get if you went to get a jab?

Anyone administering one today in the northern hemisphere is giving the shot formulated for the 2022–2023 season.

Flu shots expire at the end of June in the United States.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I got my COVID booster and my flu shot together last October, and I was fine. I didn't have an especially strong reaction to the first or second doses, just general fatigue and a little ache in the arm.

On that note, I'll be grabbing a Ba5 booster and flu shot as soon as my pharmacy can get me scheduled. Combined with my 4yo being three weeks past her 2nd Moderna, I'm finally feeling at least a little OK.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Taking my older daughter to get the booster with me and my wife tomorrow, and bringing the younger daughter so we can all get flu shots as well. Wish I could get the bivalent booster for her as well, but hopefully they'll approve that fairly soon.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AshishKJha46/status/1567233551912820740?t=fvBJ3MMngLNFKJcMtLl4jw&s=19

Barring something that has happened multiple times per year every year, we should be fine!

And we'll ensure the high risk people get protection by [REDACTED]

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It sounds like you just want to be mad at that person for some reason. None of that is wrong..

Even the original vaccines provide robust protection against severe illness. In Hong Kong where effectiveness wasn't confounded by exposure in the control group, two dose Pfizer was 90% effective against severe illness from omicron and three dose was 97% effective.

The change to the omicron lineage made vaccines much less effective against infection (not against severe illness, see above), but that happened once and not "multiple times per year every year" - contextually, "variant curveballs" means a bigger change than from the vaccine strain to omicron happening within the course of a year, not regular drift.

For people at higher risk, there are also antiviral drugs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone alert CDC, because if this is true, they’re being briefed with false information.

From Dr. Link-Gelles’ presentation to the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices last week,

The new targeted boosters will almost certainly improve the situation, but it’s quite a leap to suggest that people won’t need another till this time next year.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

VE numbers at this stage will be heavily confounded tbh.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Vaccine effectiveness estimates in most countries are confounded by increasing levels of exposure in the unvaccinated population. In fact, the paper cited in that powerpoint specifically mentions that as a limitation.

In Hong Kong, where almost nobody was exposed to covid until omicron, the 3-dose Pfizer vaccine was 97% effective against severe illness from omicron and the 2-dose vaccine was 90% effective.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So ignore the absolute VE figures and look at the differences between recent vaccination and vaccinations several months old.

It’s not something that argues for one per year.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Previous infection is still a confounder within the vaccinated groups too. Many vaccinated people will have been infected during Omicron and have some sort of hybrid immunity.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Are omicron boosters out and available now for most people? I'm way behind on news.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the information presented to ACIP is unreliable, what can or should inform immunization policy?

Why one booster per year? Why not zero?

dwarf74 posted:

Are omicron boosters out and available now for most people? I'm way behind on news.

In the U.S. they are.

You have to be greater than twelve years old, “fully vaccinated” (two Pfizer/Moderna/Novavax shots, or one J&J), and at least two months out from your most recent coronavirus vaccination.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 7, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

I got one yesterday. CVS had appointments available in various parts of the tri-state area but not very many. My local one said they were expecting delivery in a few days and will take walk-ins once they have supply.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Vaccine uptake is poo poo, so effectiveness doesn't matter as much. We need a big governmental push to get people to take this booster, but that would make things seem not normal and like COVID is not over, so it will not happen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People stopped listening a year ago. It would have helped if the things being said were worth listening to, but it’s probably too late now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

People stopped listening a year ago. It would have helped if the things being said were worth listening to, but it’s probably too late now.

I dunno, polls have showed about a 70% interest in this booster and people I talk to who are nominally out of touch with the latest news have been rather consternated to find that previous omicron infections mean poo poo when it comes to protection vs. reinfections (usually by getting infected). Even if they don't buy the long covid roulette, its not fun having corona so that alone may goad them into getting the booster.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don't think it's too late. We have success stories we can emulate to boost uptake: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Parts-of-rural-California-are-over-90-16596782.php. We need to hire community health workers who are locals to spread the message to locals. It's similar to how Cuba has a 90% vaccination rate because every neighborhood has a clinic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cuba updated their vaccine to target Omicron many months ago and it’s worked fantastically for them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Cuba updated their vaccine to target Omicron many months ago and it’s worked fantastically for them.

I mean, they've also got universal health care, so they actually have some advantages on us for getting poo poo like this done, but I've seen several stories over the course of the pandemic that community outreach works on this issue. We've done the opposite of community outreach, just going "OK, so it's at the CVS, go get it if you want it". Every city and town should have had a van driving around full of locals knocking on doors talking to their neighbors about it and offering to give it to them right then and there.

We got to just under 40% uptake on the first booster. Do we really think this strategy with the omicron booster is going to produce better results?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Awesome. My older didn't get it recently but the rest of us got covid mid-July.

Now I'm not sure if I should wait.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

Awesome. My older didn't get it recently but the rest of us got covid mid-July.

Now I'm not sure if I should wait.

CDC says 3 months after infection is best.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/06/people-who-recently-caught-covid-can-wait-to-get-omicron-booster-health-official-says.html

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

James Garfield posted:

It sounds like you just want to be mad at that person for some reason. None of that is wrong..

Even the original vaccines provide robust protection against severe illness. In Hong Kong where effectiveness wasn't confounded by exposure in the control group, two dose Pfizer was 90% effective against severe illness from omicron and three dose was 97% effective.

The change to the omicron lineage made vaccines much less effective against infection (not against severe illness, see above), but that happened once and not "multiple times per year every year" - contextually, "variant curveballs" means a bigger change than from the vaccine strain to omicron happening within the course of a year, not regular drift.

For people at higher risk, there are also antiviral drugs.
That’s not true. The disparity between vaccinated and unvaccinated outcomes has shrunk considerably.

And even conservative estimates put fully vaccinated deaths in the U.S. at somewhere between 70,000-100,000 during Dec.-Feb. period. That is a staggering toll, and that’s only deaths, nevermind hospitalization and incidences of long COVID.

Before someone shouts “ackshually, Base Rate Fallacy!” please consider how callous that sounds.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

How long do we think natural immunity is good for after ba.5 infection?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Gio posted:

That’s not true. The disparity between vaccinated and unvaccinated outcomes has shrunk considerably.

Data from most countries is confounded by covid exposure in the unvaccinated population.

(even more so in that report than the CDC MMWR one, since CDC attempted to control for it)

Gio posted:

And even conservative estimates put fully vaccinated deaths in the U.S. at somewhere between 70,000-100,000 during Dec.-Feb. period. That is a staggering toll, and that’s only deaths, nevermind hospitalization and incidences of long COVID.

Even if this unreferenced claim where the "conservative estimate" is that the vaccine is ~50% effective is taken at face value, it is still confounded. I am not sure why this is hard to understand.

Gio posted:

Before someone shouts “ackshually, Base Rate Fallacy!” please consider how callous that sounds.

Who the gently caress cares whether it sounds callous. Does it sound callous to recommend wearing a mask because sometimes people who wear masks die of covid?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

James Garfield posted:

Data from most countries is confounded by covid exposure in the unvaccinated population.

(even more so in that report than the CDC MMWR one, since CDC attempted to control for it)

Even if this unreferenced claim where the "conservative estimate" is that the vaccine is ~50% effective is taken at face value, it is still confounded. I am not sure why this is hard to understand.

Who the gently caress cares whether it sounds callous. Does it sound callous to recommend wearing a mask because sometimes people who wear masks die of covid?

It’s confounded by previous exposure among the vaccinated population as well.

My 70-100k claim is a rough estimate based on ICU figures major hospitals released in the fall. Roughly 30-40% of ICUs during the Omicron wave were comprised of fully vaccinated patients, depending on the locale. If at least 200k officially died from COVID during the Omicron wave, then you’re looking at 60-80k deaths (plus excess deaths).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trip report: got a day-one booster and a flu shot. One in each arm—covid in the non-dominant arm. If I’m all hosed up tomorrow, I’ll say how.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair to all the COVID vaccines/boosters I've had so far, the arm pain was not the primary issue, it's the lethargy and fever and body aches. I'd be hesitant to get the COVID booster and the flu shot on the same day as I usually get fairly knocked out from both and I don't want to explore the possibility that the effect is additive.

Definitely going to get both, though, when available here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
BA4/5 booster pioneers, how hard was it to get an appointment? Or can you just walk in to any decrepit CVS/Walgreens and ask for one? Debating trying my luck after work but I don’t know the process yet. Or maybe I should hold off longer like Fauci said until indoor/cuddle season kicks in. Decisions.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

buglord posted:

BA4/5 booster pioneers, how hard was it to get an appointment? Or can you just walk in to any decrepit CVS/Walgreens and ask for one? Debating trying my luck after work but I don’t know the process yet. Or maybe I should hold off longer like Fauci said until indoor/cuddle season kicks in. Decisions.

Calling CVS to figure out if they had it was a hassle (they got it this am), scheduling the appointment online was trivial.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

buglord posted:

Not too difficult, the Walgreens around me all had either Pfizer or Moderna but not both. Just found the earliest available appointments and put it in.

We just got back, got flu and covid shots for older daughter, wife, and myself, and flu shot for younger daughter. Went with same arm for the both, will update if that was a massive mistake.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

non scientific new booster trip report:

holy gently caress i envy the dead and have slept the entire day

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Deviant posted:

boooo

2 and 3 made me feel this way and I’m sure 4 will do this too. No matter what day I get it on, I’ll make sure it’s during the week because I’m not gonna feel crappy during my time off.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

buglord posted:

boooo

2 and 3 made me feel this way and I’m sure 4 will do this too. No matter what day I get it on, I’ll make sure it’s during the week because I’m not gonna feel crappy during my time off.

this is the only one that's done this for me.

maybe bc i had what was definitely the roni and probably omicron around xmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

Can confirm. I thought I was OK this morning when I woke up but then I started trying to do things and felt like rear end all day