Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Azubah posted:

Why? It would be her saying every 5 levels "go away"

They don't really do job quests anymore since the lvl 80 in ShB. It could literally be 'here's a book on how to do this, leave me alone'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only important question with a cutlass/pistol wielder is: are the two weapons different pieces or one set?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The only important question with a cutlass/pistol wielder is: are the two weapons different pieces or one set?

One set, they aren't making the paladin mistake a 2nd time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They don't really do job quests anymore since the lvl 80 in ShB. It could literally be 'here's a book on how to do this, leave me alone'

They'd still have the introductory set

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do you think they will keep adding 2 new classes per expansion forever? personally i wouldnt be mad if they just said "nope thats enough" and worked on other stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd expect them to drop to 1 eventually. New jobs are always a huge selling point though so I can't see them shelving new ones entirely for a long time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My vote would be Geomancer as a half Lancer (landbound, no jumping) half Conjurer (earth and water only) tank. Offensive DOTs (erosion) and stacking defensive buffs with cashout big hits. Maybe some roots to allow some flow/movement without spinning the boss/mobs? We've got multiple swords and staves so more polearms won't hurt anyone.

Rival it with some sort of airborne fire type of thing when we go to that dragon continent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Awesome! posted:

do you think they will keep adding 2 new classes per expansion forever? personally i wouldnt be mad if they just said "nope thats enough" and worked on other stuff.

I feel like they have to keep adding at least one per expansion to avoid people getting insanely mad, but they might reduce it to one as early as the next expac

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

I think they'll eventually hit a point of diminishing returns, especially since each new job is an increase in workload for future expansions past that point (adding new weapons, creating AF sets, etc.). The interesting problem is what replaces that as a major draw, and I'm sure it's something they're noodling over behind the scenes. Older MMOs like FFXI could get away with just dumping a whole heaping helping of additional system mastery elements for players to grind out and theorycraft over, but that's decidedly against FFXIV's design philosophy, so it's a lot trickier to create something that adds new flair to existing jobs outside of the usual "here's some new skills" that's expected from each expac.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I personally think an expansion might feel a bit thin without any new jobs. Like, as much as I'd probably still buy an expansion that was "just more story and dungeons" I'd definitely find it a bit underwhelming without some other major feature to be a selling point.

Failboattootoot posted:

From what they've said, we can be relatively confident that the next job is going to be a scouting dps and if they do a 2nd job, it's going to be a tank or a healer because they regretted double dps in sb. As for what they are going to add, I'm going to assume it's going to be 2 entirely new jobs and not some other ff job.
Didn't hear about regretting double dps before; the impression I had was the design space for tanks and healers is a bit more limiting, and we had to wait a bit longer for a healer because the healers were in a poor way before. I also wouldn't be surprised if healers and tanks were "less popular" as a new class. Apparently WoW has found that adding new tanks doesn't really create new tank players, but just shifts the existing tank players around.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

WoW has found that adding new tanks doesn't really create new tank players, but just shifts the existing tank players around.

Yoship has said the exact thing. By the time you reach max level, you still have the same number of tank, healer, and dps players. New jobs don't have much impact.

Adding tanks and healers do seem to have a short term effect on the leveling queue, but that's fleeting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder what it was then that flipped it from tanks being rarer to healers being rarer. It happened in the same expansion as gunbreaker so I assumed it was the numbers imbalance at first, but then it continued on even with sage being released.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yoship has said the exact thing. By the time you reach max level, you still have the same number of tank, healer, and dps players. New jobs don't have much impact.

Adding tanks and healers do seem to have a short term effect on the leveling queue, but that's fleeting.
Yeah, for sure, and that short term effect is really handy when you have a big influx of people playing a new dps. It's probably for that reason dps + tank or healer is going to be a better move.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it had to have been the rotational changes, right? logic would lead you to FEEL that the people mad about aero 1/2/3 not all being separate spells is in a minority, but like, what other earth-shaking healer change happened at the same time? and yoshi has mentioned in the past that generally, people switch mains within the roles that they already play more often than switching roles to switch to a new main

e: relatedly i'm pretty sure it's absolute that they're never adding a tank and healer at the same time ever again, and in terms of role amounts there's 1 fewer caster and ranged than every other role, so it's that

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cheetah7071 posted:

I wonder what it was then that flipped it from tanks being rarer to healers being rarer. It happened in the same expansion as gunbreaker so I assumed it was the numbers imbalance at first, but then it continued on even with sage being released.

didnt they make tanking substantially easier in shb? removing stance dancing and stuff.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably around the time the Honest Healers finally got the message.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

it had to have been the rotational changes, right? logic would lead you to FEEL that the people mad about aero 1/2/3 not all being separate spells is in a minority, but like, what other earth-shaking healer change happened at the same time? and yoshi has mentioned in the past that generally, people switch mains within the roles that they already play more often than switching roles to switch to a new main

e: relatedly i'm pretty sure it's absolute that they're never adding a tank and healer at the same time ever again, and in terms of role amounts there's 1 fewer caster and ranged than every other role, so it's that

There is absolutely nothing backing that up, no.

There's quite a few things that could be connected to it but it isn't like healers are rare or anything.

A) Tanking has become less and less intimidating so more people who were previously nervous about it have hopped in.
B) All four tanks right now are largely in a good place, while at minimum AST is due for a rework and thus people are less likely to play it.
C) They added more 'support'-focused DPS choices like Dancer which means if you like playing a supporting role you now have more options than just healer.
D) The new job this class was EDGELORD DARKSCYTHE and even the healiest of healers are not entirely immune to the lure of darkness.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 7, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm still not convinced there ever was a great healer exodus. Role in Need is still usually tank in casual content, but it's always bounced between the two, my queue times haven't appreciably changed since ARR as a healer, and end game stuff I'm still waiting for tanks rather than filling the last slot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's been super noticeable in high-end content PF

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Azubah posted:

Why? It would be her saying every 5 levels "go away"

Matoya telling you to go away has unlocked a new secret of crankiness

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Man I wish I knew what PF you are looking at because I main healer and I am often struggling to find a party that isn't already filled. I almost always have to swap to tank (or sometimes DPS) unless I get lucky.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Failboattootoot posted:

From what they've said, we can be relatively confident that the next job is going to be a scouting dps

I thought we were pretty sure we were getting a caster dps? The last one was RDM in Heavensward

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I thought we were pretty sure we were getting a caster dps? The last one was RDM in Heavensward

At the moment Ninja is the only job that doesn't share gear with another class so people are pretty sure it is going to get a partner. Dragoon was there until Reaper this expansion

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Man I wish I knew what PF you are looking at because I main healer and I am often struggling to find a party that isn't already filled. I almost always have to swap to tank (or sometimes DPS) unless I get lucky.

maybe it's data center dependent? Primal is always waiting on healers (or, more recently, phys ranged) in my experience

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Speak for yourself, I absolutely wouldn't be a raiding tank main right now if Gunbreaker didn't exist. Getting to play a class you love is important.

On the topic of new classes, I feel like they've been teasing a double pistol job for way too long and it just needs to happen already.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hra Mormo posted:

Speak for yourself, I absolutely wouldn't be a raiding tank main right now if Gunbreaker didn't exist. Getting to play a class you love is important.

On the topic of new classes, I feel like they've been teasing a double pistol job for way too long and it just needs to happen already.

And I know tank mains that moved to dancer.
The overall population impact is minimal. People generally pick role first.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

That's not a lack of healers, that's a lack of healers who want top run with you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hra Mormo posted:

The problem with a double pistol job is that mechanist basically has everything a double pistol job would probably excel at.

They could go crazy and include the Summon Gun from the FF Anime where you charge it up with different attacks or something even then that doesn't really fit two gun.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

aether savage pf also very frequently has healers as the last to fill, but that's very explainable by the rotation thing, where DF isn't

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Double pistol as a scouting armour wearing gambling themed job would work to add a different flavour to Machinist.

But, we're probably getting a new caster because it's the role with the longest time since previous (RDM in Stormblood) and we just got a melee.

One thought I have been having is that a way to make Machinist feel better/more viable would be to add Dancer/Bard level support dps in Melee and Caster positions. So that Machinist can have compositions where it being a "selfish" dps makes sense in the phys ranged role. To that end I kind of want to see a Squire (melee, bard style party buffs) and a green mage (debuff oriented caster who boosts the damage the boss takes with vulnerability up stuff).

As for the healer thing it could also somewhat be that Healer isn't rewarding enough to play outside hard content. Warrior not needing a healer in a dungeon may be funny, but it also means healers don't actually get to really heal easy content with any particularly cool "saved the day" moments.

Especially when the MSQ often has Tank LB3 moments to make them feel super cool.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Dirk the Average posted:

We need a collab with Monster Hunter that brings in Switch Axe, Charge Blade, and Gunlance. Maybe Rise Bow, or Valor HBG as well.
I still say they should have had an Octopath Traveler crossover just so we could do an 8v8 trial. They have plenty of great combat barks available already as well.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've said before and I'll keep working from the standpoint that until the major pattern changes, we're a bit constrained by Hollywood WoL being relegated to melee jobs, with the noted but sole exception of Archer (since that was the 1.0 pick, before there were even the classic Jobs), and their overall desire to showcase him jobs he hasn't yet been. 7.0 could shake up everything, with the idea of it being a New Overarching Adventure - hell, maybe he'll finally pick up a casting class - but as of yet I've seen little evidence to support that sea change, so I'm going to remain conservative in prediction. Now, other leading characters in the cinematics having certain jobs doesn't preclude him from adopting them, but he's generally the focus - I think Stormblood is the only time to have him on the same general weapon as another character in action. They'll probably maintain that, but who knows what our party make-up will be going into the next expansion? So right now, before new jobs, that leaves Gunbreaker, Ninja, and Reaper as potential melee-weapon roles for the trailer. Thancred's been handling Gunbreaker for a while, but if he doesn't tag along, it's up for grabs - may or may not fit whatever aesthetic they'll be shooting for, though. That last concern applies to Reaper and especially Ninja, even if both are free as well. Personally, a potential new Scouting job would likely be a perfect (melee) candidate for a story's fresh start - another funny thing about the jobs he's been is that Samurai is the only one he's taken (besides Archer) that didn't already exist in game at the time of the cinematic, and even then, it still shared time with Monk. So a "clean break" might be preferable and is my current prediction for at least one new job slot.

If they continue with two jobs, well - it's true that they had some regrets on debuting two DPS in Stormblood, but I also kind of think that's what helped spur them to institute the Duty Support system - queue times are less of a progression hassle if you (mostly) don't have to rely on them for the story. Might require multiple trials to have Duty Support, if they have another two DPS expansion, though. They just introduced a healer in Endwalker, though, and given they're still fiddling with them (will Astrologian truly ever be finished?) and the new pure/barrier paradigm, it feels a bit unlikely they'll immediately drop another one that's going to shake up the ratio. They're probably a little more confident in the tank lineup, so it wouldn't be the worst idea to add another even if Shadowbringers was merely an expansion ago - at the same time, though, Tanks are kind of considered melees on balance; going back to the cinematics, again, there's never been an expansion without a new melee job (ARR - Ninja, HW - Dark Knight, SB - Samurai, ShB - Gunbreaker, EW - Reaper), and debuting a Tank PLUS a Scouting job would double up on that. Really, with all the ongoing Duty Support effort, I think they might be a little more willing to drop a new ranged (caster or physical) and see how things shake out with trusts. (Plus, if/when they shift to only debuting single jobs, they're going to end up with DPS-only expansions anyway).

You could make any kind of rotation or skillset and flavour it however you want. Job lore and their mechanics are completely separate.
The only caveat to this is the devs have to decide the mechanics fit the "feeling" of the job; see how Samurai's first pass was pretty much just reskinned to Dark Knight because they didn't think the kit was right for the former.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

meteor's probably going to be a catgirl in 7.0 so there's no reason they couldn't also do a caster for it. i could see summoner used very well in cutscenes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

At the moment Ninja is the only job that doesn't share gear with another class so people are pretty sure it is going to get a partner. Dragoon was there until Reaper this expansion
Back when they added DNC, the reasoning seemed to be that it was that Physical Ranged was the type with the fewest jobs, and Melee and caster just got something. We just got a melee DPS and I'm not sure scouting could be anything else. That said I feel like both reasonings are plausible.

Part of me kind of wishes they could find a way to reduce the total number of melee armor types without losing appearance diversity. It feels goofy how tank/healer/caster/rdps all have really concise armor sets, and then melee is a mess of 3 armor sets + aiming accessories for NIN.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

More island workshop brain hurting: is the best option at this point to make Growth Formula tomorrow, and after that set days off until it looks like Spruce Shield and Garnet Rapier are about to hit their peak days (which are hopefully not the same day)?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thundarr posted:

More island workshop brain hurting: is the best option at this point to make Growth Formula tomorrow, and after that set days off until it looks like Spruce Shield and Garnet Rapier are about to hit their peak days (which are hopefully not the same day)?

I'm gonna pass tomorrow and gamble on the rest being better.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I still say they should have had an Octopath Traveler crossover just so we could do an 8v8 trial. They have plenty of great combat barks available already as well.

They could even tie into the “different takes on the same gods” angle, since Octopath also has a pantheon of twelve gods and a hidden evil thirteenth.

Plus I’d just love to see more people rock out to Battle II.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd take an Octopath crossover just for the music.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mister Olympus posted:

meteor's probably going to be a catgirl in 7.0 so there's no reason they couldn't also do a caster for it. i could see summoner used very well in cutscenes

I sincerely doubt that the trailer WoL is ever going to fantasia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with a double pistol job is that mechanist basically has everything a double pistol job would probably excel at.

Except having two pistols.

But mechanist does have shotgun hmmmm.