Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Big ol gameplay montage, different from the trailer earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQUjZhQqvAU. Soundscape and music are On Point

Actually happy to see the Psyker plays very close to Sienna. Same exact moveset on that staff and sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Am I seeing things right? Why is Darktide currently only $50 CAD for preorder?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
IIRC Vermintide 2 was only $40 USD on release. Looks like Darktide is following suit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress me sideways I'd forgotten what an affordable game looked like without a massive Steam sale.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering. Kinda wanna wait and see how it turns out on launch before grabbing it.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I know I'm not gonna pre-order it, but I am for sure going to be watching it intently. For all it's flaws Vermintide 2 was a wonderful experience for just murdering rats by the hundreds, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this would turn out.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
At this point I think pre-purchasing this is basically paying for "beta-testing" something unfinished at launch. I hope I'm wrong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I also noticed that they're selling an extra pre-order that comes with premium currency. Not looking forward to that because premium currencies are always designed to leave you with leftover or premium items are always priced so you need to spend way more on the next tier of premium to buy what you wanted.

Just let me pay the price something is listed for, for fucks sake.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I seem to remember both vermintides being rougher around the edges at launch, not 100% on that though. Will probably preorder anyway, they cleaned up vt2 really well and added plenty of content in its life cycle.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I seem to remember both vermintides being rougher around the edges at launch, not 100% on that though. Will probably preorder anyway, they cleaned up vt2 really well and added plenty of content in its life cycle.

Don't know about VT1, I remember it running like butter after they had to optimize it for the PS3 half-way in it's life cycle. But VT2 really was a clusterfuck at launch and good 6 months after.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fatshark's MO is decent but buggy gameplay with long periods of radio silence. I loved VT2 and don't regret the time I spent with it at launch but I don't fault anyone who did. Expect there to be issues and expect long months of slow response time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The main thing that stood out to me on VT2's launch was that a huge percentage of talents were unbelievably garbage and/or completely nonfunctional. Career balance was quite bad. It was still fun though.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
This is also gonna be a day one gamepass game so if you got any spare $1 months left or a year sub still going you can try it that way.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Personally, the most memorable quirk at VT2 release was silent Chaos patrols. They would sometimes get stuck somewhere on the map and simply stop moving, effectively lying in wait and ready to ambush your group the moment someone turned the corner. If the pointman was unlucky to be in melee range when this happened, they'd eat 5+ melee swings and get mulched instantly. Good times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

looking forward to this channel's darktide videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2J6DWPSqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McX2x8iWb9Y

I often think about the guy screaming GOOD louder and louder

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
VT2 was apparently mostly stable and mostly functional on launch, but under the hood there were an incredible amount of things just straight up broken due to poor version control. It tooks months to discover that the dev version and live version were forked and drifting further and further apart, such that you wonder if the devs even played their own game. Didn't help that many game mechanics and damage/stagger/cleave type things were obscured, so you couldn't measure these things and just had to go by how the game felt.

I was very happy where VT2 ended up though and I'm desperately hoping they've learned their lessons.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

oof that trailer, fighting zombies with guns in dark industrial spaces is still so much less fun looking than beheading chattering rats in a cathedral or whereever

glad its on gamepass though!

I remember VT2 being pretty unstable at launch, and as a very casual occasional player with my friends the DLC has all been kinda so-so and the game itself doesnt really feel any different than it did at launch to me. it just runs better

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 5, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I pre-ordered and will be dropping day one.

Blood for the blood god

.......or skulls for the Terran throne?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
My heretical opinion is that Vermintide 1 is slightly better than Vermintide 2. The lack of sub-classes and talents means it was easier to balance around and you could focus more on the meat of the game, ie killing rattes

So part of me kinda hopes there aren't going to be subclasses in this.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zephro posted:

My heretical opinion is that Vermintide 1 is slightly better than Vermintide 2. The lack of sub-classes and talents means it was easier to balance around and you could focus more on the meat of the game, ie killing rattes

That had nothing to do with the subclasses which are one of the most loved parts of the game, the problem was the Destiny style gearscore system they tried to ape and everything that came with that, they've had at least 3 different attempts at the gear progression system in the same game (default + reworks, Weaves, Chaos Wastes) and hosed it up every time.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 5, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

VT1 was better than 2 because it had the bug that made ratmen necks stretch out like rock’em sock’em robots if you hit them with a mace sometimes.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Zephro posted:

imagine not enjoying swatting rats as a slayer

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That had nothing to do with the subclasses which are one of the most loved parts of the game, the problem was the Destiny style gearscore system they tried to ape and everything that came with that, they've had at least 3 different attempts at the gear progression system in the same game (default + reworks, Weaves, Chaos Wastes) and hosed it up every time.

Yeah I really didn't like that gearscore system and much preferred VT1's simpler coloured loot. While I think the second game is better in most ways, me and my group ended up spending way less time with it compared to the first game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bussamove posted:

VT1 was better than 2 because it had the bug that made ratmen necks stretch out like rock’em sock’em robots if you hit them with a mace sometimes.

https://i.imgur.com/UqDmV6A.mp4

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mordja posted:

Yeah I really didn't like that gearscore system and much preferred VT1's simpler coloured loot. While I think the second game is better in most ways, me and my group ended up spending way less time with it compared to the first game.

The loot score also played into weapon cleave which was why it was so hard to work out how many rats you could behead in a single swing too compared to the original.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

the problem with VT2 was that you were incentivized to do 'random' maps and you'd always get the same fuckin one or two.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Well, VT2 had this:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

VT2 had some uh, design choices that were.. are, I guess, still - pretty bad.

Gear score had a bunch of obvious consequences that have already been pointed out but it also created additional weirdness in the game's very philosophy.

People who played the game early on came away with the idea that it was just a super hard game even on minimal difficulty settings, largely because you hit like a gnat and none of your defensive abilities had come online except for your single class passive. Those who stuck with that either learned to play the 'correct' way, dodging, parrying, etc and managed to get better gear.

OTOH I think a lot of people learned some twisted lessons from that early experience and I think a lot of the bad elf behavior observed later in the game's life began with those early experiences. Because they had an ability that hit like a truck at low difficulty levels and because they could regenerate, elf-players were not forced to learn a lot of those more difficult lessons until or unless they played different characters or made a concious effort to improve. Meanwhile, Kruber's early game basically forced you to familiarize yourself with your weapon's move set and Saltzypre pretty much had to play the dodge/parry game to survive into and beyond Vet.

The short version: I think there are some good design things you can do with making players comparatively weak early in the game so that as they move up through the difficulty levels they are playing basically the same game (dodging, parrying, etc) rather than being force to relearn the advanced tactics at higher levels. But you also have to be careful what lessons they come away with.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

VT2 had better graphics, sound and satisfying feel when you hit a rat. I struggle to think of one single thing it did in terms of gameplay design that didn't feel like a pointless regression from the first.

absolutely everything hero power touched was worse off for it, since you no longer had the ability to predict what would happen when you took a swing and play around it. all the numbers went through some incomprehensible formula full of invisible modifiers like "this enemy type has -20% mass while it's staggered" instead of the first game's simple and consistent system where your attack did 5 damage and it would stagger 3 rats, which you didn't need to see a spreadsheet to understand, you could just internalize it after playing for 5 minutes. it's really important for you to know what your attacks will do when the game asks you to make split-second decisions with 40 enemies swarming on the screen, and the first game gave you the tools to do that but the sequel removed them for some reason. it feels really awesome to swing your 2h hammer into a blob of enemies who you can't count because they're all clipping into one another, have The Formula say that it ran out of cleave on the second to last enemy, and get smacked for half of your health because the last guys didn't get staggered. That doesn't happen in VT1 because the 2h hammer will always stagger all of them.

Most of the new enemies or changes to existing enemies feel really bad in one way or another. the intended way to kill berserkers seems to be for one player to simply stop playing the game and hold block while other people deal with them, which isn't fun. shieldvermin and chaos warriors are pacing-destroying slogs, with many weapons being unable to stagger chaos warriors or do more than minimal damage to them, and with shieldvermin being invincible from most angles and blocking attacks that clearly go around their shields; then when their guard breaks they're only vulnerable for a couple hits before they suddenly go back to being invincible, so you'd better hope the executioner sword gets the real hit in and not the 1h sword. Blightstormers can cast from so far away you can't even ping them, and after they cast they can teleport to some unreachable pixel so you have no way to cancel their 30-second-long storm. Gunrats can now shoot instantly so they can cause unavoidable damage. Some of the new bosses + changes to the rat ogre are so attack spammy that the person being targeted by the boss has almost no opportunity to do anything besides stay alive while their teammates get to actually play the game. The first game had a philosophy that every player should always be able to do damage or CC to some extent, just with more or less effectiveness based on their weapons, but in VT2 sometimes you just can't do anything to certain enemies. Feels worse.

I gave the game chance after chance because fatshark's VT1 patches were legitimately great and I held out hope that they'd do the same for VT2, but what never changed and what ultimately drove me away more than anything else was the totally random difficulty swings due to spawns. VT2 has more absurd spawn RNG than any similar game I've played, to the point where success on legend difficulty feels more like just rolling the dice until the game allows you to win than your own performance. I remember way back in the beta, I played two matches back to back where we played on the same map with the same characters and the same gear on the same difficulty; one match was a complete breeze and the other suddenly wiped us in the span of 30 seconds as we got utterly poo poo on with a chaos spawn + triple wave horde + pile of specials all at once. This experience never really went away in the full game. There was no sense of a game director like L4D keeping things tense but fair, it was just completely random bullshit that would suddenly end a run with no sense of what we should have done differently, wondering "what exactly would you have me do here?" I got tired of wins feeling like they were just the spawns being nice and losses feeling like they were just the game making GBS threads on us with no consistency.

There's a thousand other little feel-bad cases of questionable design and none of this is even touching on the obscene number of bugs (many of which are entirely game-ruining), fatshark's promise to add dedicated servers which they never did, fatshark's decision to kneecap mods, or their decision to bolt unnecessary anticheat onto a purely noncompetitive game. in conclusion, I was very upset by the sequel to the co-op rat-clicking videogame and thought it did an unexpectedly poor job building on the foundation of the original.

wait I was supposed to pull up to the second window?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the levels in the first game better and I wish that they'll do a legacy update ala Left 4 Dead 2 and port over the rest of the OG missions.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

the problem with VT2 was that you were incentivized to do 'random' maps and you'd always get the same fuckin one or two.

Nothing was worse than the beginning of VT1 where you were heavily punishing yourself if you did anything other than run that lovely, small, gimmicky black powder keg map a hundred thousand times in a row.

Arc Hammer posted:

I like the levels in the first game better and I wish that they'll do a legacy update ala Left 4 Dead 2 and port over the rest of the OG missions.

It is a crime that they didn't add Wizards Tower to the Back to Ubersreik dlc.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seems bad

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Waroduce posted:

I pre-ordered and will be dropping day one.

Blood for the blood god

.......or skulls for the Terran throne?

My partner got me the super deluxe edition for my birthday but again, still have to wait until December to play it. Guess I will keep on grinding Aliens Fireteam Elite to get my xeno purging fix for now.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dev Blog for voices with some videos of the actors doing their thing. Some pretty good pulls from the 40k audiobooks including Toby Longworth.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1361210/announcements/detail/3278079670178628687

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eha5tsrzvkE

lmao gently caress yeah

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Perfect

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I've learned my lesson and i'm not ready to get hurt again--gonna watch this one from a distance while i play DRG and wait until my friends pressure me into getting it. Hopefully it won't be a buggy mess by then.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1576255621686472704

The spirit of Saltspyre lives on, those dashes look meaty and fun.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
That soundtrack is very much my jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Chakan posted:

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1576255621686472704

The spirit of Saltspyre lives on, those dashes look meaty and fun.

I seen Flamers, I am very happy to be burning the unclean.