Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You've never seen a Spectravideo ?!?

I have now! Allow me to rephrase: Outside of a Spectravideo, I don't think I've ever seen an MSX platform computer that didn't strike me as sexy in some fashion. Some more than others, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Explosionface posted:

I have now! Allow me to rephrase: Outside of a Spectravideo, I don't think I've ever seen an MSX platform computer that didn't strike me as sexy in some fashion. Some more than others, of course.

:lol:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My first computer was a Spectravideo SV328, which was almost but not entirely MSX compatible. The later 728 was though.

Both were boring business beige.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Even Philips managed to do a kind of cool MSX (or maybe two or three? can't remember).

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

My first computer was a Spectravideo SV328, which was almost but not entirely MSX compatible. The later 728 was though.

Both were boring business beige.

The 728 was prettier too, but bland compared to other MSXs.

They kinda hosed that up as well because it’s MSX1 compatible — and /almost/ MSX2! The video chip is the same as that newer standard, but the rest is… not.

E: I was thinking of the 738, my bad

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The MS in MSX stands for Microsoft.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

MicroSoft Xbox

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://youtu.be/tHwZVHjrFFk

The AMD platform that was one socket, used on one motherboard, for three CPUs.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

barbecue at the folks posted:

gently caress black, beige, and brushed metal, just give me bright plastic in Ferrari red

you may not like it, but this is peak technology design

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Lady Radia posted:

you may not like it, but this is peak technology design

true, except everyone likes it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey yeah I like those. I'd buy one but money is a thing I don't have.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:kiddo:
https://twitter.com/shes_the_maNN1/status/1567268943659765768?s=20&t=GXaWhwUnTUgwJqUvbfMD-A

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reminds me of the bits some years ago (OK maybe ten IDR) about adult Americans finding out they can watch TV without a paid subscription, or Internet.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That does make me feel old, but their genuine joy at how it actually works does a lot to mitigate it. :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
We got a rotary dial white phone at an auction and it’s the first thing someone knew picks up when they come to our house. I need to find a way to easily (cheaply) make it work, but haven’t done anything yet.

If anyone has any recommendations, I’m all ears :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I bought my 1950s rotary from a company that wires it with an rj-11 connector as part of the restoration process. My problem is that even at minimum the ringer is incredibly loud!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

namlosh posted:

We got a rotary dial white phone at an auction and it’s the first thing someone knew picks up when they come to our house. I need to find a way to easily (cheaply) make it work, but haven’t done anything yet.

If you mean you need to way to get it to work on a modern phone network, you want a pulse to tone converter, which used to be a thing you could buy off the shelf. No idea if anyone is still making them or how much one would cost.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
DIY and commercial options are out there
https://www.mattmillman.com/projects/building-your-own-pulse-to-tone-converter/
https://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html

Combine it with something like the cisco SPA-112 to get it on a modern voip network for maximum anachronism

Mantle
May 15, 2004

namlosh posted:

If you want a plug and play solution you could get an ATA with rotary support.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20386.0

Then configure your ATA to connect to some PBX SaaS provider.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

an actual frog posted:

DIY and commercial options are out there
https://www.mattmillman.com/projects/building-your-own-pulse-to-tone-converter/
https://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html

Combine it with something like the cisco SPA-112 to get it on a modern voip network for maximum anachronism

Oh heck yeah… thanks for this.

I have no landline at all, and no voip so I’m going to have to deal with that too, but this helps a lot. I’m sure I could throw that thing on a breadboard to start. Look for some used equipment… etc

Thanks again

e:

Mantle posted:

Then configure your ATA to connect to some PBX SaaS provider.

Thanks for this too!

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Mantle posted:

Oh, no way?! Yeah, this is the way to do it :getin:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is my model, Automatic Electric 80. Serious business. It will still be around long after I'm gone.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

This is my model, Automatic Electric 80. Serious business. It will still be around long after I'm gone.

Ericsson for me. I wish there were still land lines where I live.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

"Goddammit, Unit DC-2." Sgt. van Ansdell sighed. "You're my top detective, but you leave a trail of destruction every time you go into the city. And now the mayor is on my rear end! I gave you every chance to clean up but this is the last straw!"

*bzzzt boop beep!* DC-2 protested.

"I know X-82 is still out there and working with the Colombians! Don't you think I see all the cocaine flooding Beverly Hills? But that's not your problem anymore...

*beeeeep?*

"You're off the case, DC-2. I'm taking your badge and joystick."

Sgt. Tom Van Ansdell of the Beverly Hills, Calif., police department displays a 4-foot robot at police station in Beverly Hills on August 18, 1982. The robot, complete with color television screen and camera, micro computer and two-day communications, was taken into police custody after it was found clanking through Beverly Hills during Tuesday rush hour. Police took the robot into custody when the person, as yet unidentified, operating it by remote control, refused to identify himself to police.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Trabant posted:

Sgt. Tom Van Ansdell of the Beverly Hills, Calif., police department displays a 4-foot robot at police station in Beverly Hills on August 18, 1982. The robot, complete with color television screen and camera, micro computer and two-day communications, was taken into police custody after it was found clanking through Beverly Hills during Tuesday rush hour. Police took the robot into custody when the person, as yet unidentified, operating it by remote control, refused to identify himself to police.

BHPD arrested it even though it's white! :monocle:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Melbourne University Dual Package Analogue Computer (MUDPAC):

aaaaaaaaa :shepicide:

from

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trabant posted:

from

spaghetti code

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please don't post my PC's internals without my permission

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Day one patches.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I too thought of getting into modular synths but realized it wouldn't be worth the hassle

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Trabant posted:

from

All these wires to play this game:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Trabant posted:

from

I also love eurorack synthesizers

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I was at a garage sale and saw a crusty but beautiful 1949 Crosley 9" tv in the corner of the garage.

I asked the seller about it and she said it was a family heirloom and she wasn't interested in selling it but it didn't work anymore anyways.

Since it's front is relatively compact and the cabinet is super deep to accommodate all the TV guts I asked her if she had ever thought about cutting most of the back of the cabinet off and putting a modern smart home display like a Google Nest home inside it so it would still at least be getting some use as a display piece.

The veneer on the back half of the cabinet was trashed anyways but the front would clean up nice and the only difficult part would be replacing the speaker Grill fabric and putting a new display in it.

Her eyes lit up and she said well clearly you'd do something with it and I wanted it to go to a good home and insisted that I take it for free.

Googling tells me it's a Crosley 9-408. I'm going to have to do some research or maybe a goon can chime in to figure out if there's any historical significance that would make it a sacrilege to gut it.

Assuming I'm not going to wreck something that should be in a museum... I'll lobotomize the front off and throw in an Echo show, nest home or a cheap tablet connected to one of those mini 2 channel bluetooth amps and some moden 4x6 speakers. Should make a neat little setup that can stream bt from my phone or video/tv/music from my plex server.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If I had a cassette deck and hooked a modem into the mic could this be used to store 56k a second and then later receive that info

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If I had a cassette deck and hooked a modem into the mic could this be used to store 56k a second and then later receive that info

In theory, yes, but I doubt you could literally do it with an actual 56k modem. Modems are designed for two-way communication between the sending and receiving end, especially at higher baud rates. The 56k modem protocol is heavily dependent on the two sides probing the line connecting them and negotiating various data transfer parameters to maximize the data throughput for the line conditions. Modems also assume that if there is a data error in transmission that cannot be corrected by the ECC in the modem protocol itself that the higher-level protocols will request the data be retransmitted if necessary. Another reason is that modem data encodings do not take into account any kind of speed variations between the sending and receiving side (whether gross speed differences between playback and recording equipment or wow and flutter inherent in analog playback) so I'm not sure how well those would handle it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I was considering it and it would be better to have some kind of controller that operates the deck and this is just reinventing the datasette

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

my turn in the barrel posted:

I was at a garage sale and saw a crusty but beautiful 1949 Crosley 9" tv in the corner of the garage.

I asked the seller about it and she said it was a family heirloom and she wasn't interested in selling it but it didn't work anymore anyways.

Since it's front is relatively compact and the cabinet is super deep to accommodate all the TV guts I asked her if she had ever thought about cutting most of the back of the cabinet off and putting a modern smart home display like a Google Nest home inside it so it would still at least be getting some use as a display piece.

The veneer on the back half of the cabinet was trashed anyways but the front would clean up nice and the only difficult part would be replacing the speaker Grill fabric and putting a new display in it.

Her eyes lit up and she said well clearly you'd do something with it and I wanted it to go to a good home and insisted that I take it for free.

Googling tells me it's a Crosley 9-408. I'm going to have to do some research or maybe a goon can chime in to figure out if there's any historical significance that would make it a sacrilege to gut it.

Assuming I'm not going to wreck something that should be in a museum... I'll lobotomize the front off and throw in an Echo show, nest home or a cheap tablet connected to one of those mini 2 channel bluetooth amps and some moden 4x6 speakers. Should make a neat little setup that can stream bt from my phone or video/tv/music from my plex server.

See if you can figure out what is wrong with it first, it's probably that some tube is burned out, but I would double check just to be certain, it could be cool if the original speakers at least still work.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

SubG posted:

Day one patches.

Hey. there's been an upgrade (moves a wire from one terminal to another) wait. hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

See if you can figure out what is wrong with it first, it's probably that some tube is burned out, but I would double check just to be certain, it could be cool if the original speakers at least still work.

That set almost certainly needs a complete recap before it will work, and trying to turn it on without any protection (fuse/current limiting) is just asking to blow up an irreplaceable component. I would suggest they see if there is any collector who would be interested in the set before they gut it, and even after there are probably people looking for some of the components from it for their own restorations. Unfortunately I don't know a good place to enquire about that...