Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

blacksocks posted:

She jumped the height of that trash dumpster in stride. That seems magical.

Like some sort of Magical Girl Trash Jumper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

blacksocks posted:

She jumped the height of that trash dumpster in stride. That seems magical.
Right? Just one little 'tup' and she's up. This story's so drat unrealistic.

Everybody knows you can't so much as touch a metal trash dumpster without making a deafening 'GONG' sound.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Here's hoping it's the lead up to discovering how her own powers are useful.

I think a sort of 'Tessa publically returning as a MG/returning to Future's Promise' beat could be interesting, with HP knowing explicitly that she's evil (but her relationship with Undine preventing her from taking any drastic action/driving a wedge between them for some great dramatic irony) and Vedika learning Tessa's true motives via her powers and becoming the only person who really believes HP could cause some interesting drama.

blacksocks
Feb 20, 2007

That's a good point that we don't have any basis for how Tessa would act in the waking world. Could the whole story finally come to a head before dawn?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Oh man, you know how the whole thing with that monster that poked Kokoro and made her intangible is that it had to touch you to do it? And Vedika's whole thing is that she can do a mind meld by touching someone?

I wonder if that's going to come into play here, especially with her being up on higher ground (since it seemed to be able to fly). Is this how she finds out she can communicate with monsters?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I hadn't really considered what a non-transformed Gooptessa would be like. I guess I've been assuming it wouldn't be possible. It would be a neat trick if Goops could hide away like that, though I don't think she'd ever want to reveal her new transformation to anyone with authority. Seems like it would raise way too many questions.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-20

hoo boy that first panel, eh?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, outside of places that have a Vedika of their own, most of these flares are going to be from people for whom it got bad enough to get outside.

Also, this is page 666!

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Do the monsters all poof automatically when 2am hits? I've been wondering why everyone relaxes at 2am, when really it probably ought to be like now with monsters clawing at no-longer-barrier-protected homes.

I wonder if Vedika's psychic powers will activate on getting grabbed. Probably better for her if they don't, really, falling off a roof is not an ideal time to have a mind-meld.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The_Final_Stand posted:

Do the monsters all poof automatically when 2am hits? I've been wondering why everyone relaxes at 2am, when really it probably ought to be like now with monsters clawing at no-longer-barrier-protected homes.

I wonder if Vedika's psychic powers will activate on getting grabbed. Probably better for her if they don't, really, falling off a roof is not an ideal time to have a mind-meld.

It's mentioned a couple of times that monsters can't survive after the barrier resets, but the mechanics of how and why haven't been explained. And that's assuming Anemone getting distracted doesn't interfere with this process.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everything is fine

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The_Final_Stand posted:

From 2 am to 1 am, Anemone runs around killing every monster instantly. Her barrier time is the one hour of sleep she gets each day. No wonder she hates getting woken up.

Edit: Looking at the thread title I remembered that wrong. Her barrier time is four hours each night.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 3, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This wouldn't be a problem if every house had an emergency shotgun in easily accessible areas.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

They don't poof automatically - the scripted annnouncement says to make sure the streets are clear of monsters on your way home, implying there is some sort of grace period where monsters are still alive and caution needs to be taken around them.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-4-page-2

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I mean, do they have guns? I don't think they do. Could be wrong though

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The city does not have guns though they are aware of guns as a thing that exist(ed). Guns don't work on monsters anyway.
(From Mary on the discord).

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

On earlier discussion I'm confused, do MGs in this get a standard superhuman strength/fitness package or not? Training certainly effects it but are they innately kinda superhuman as in most MG stuff or not?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

A Sometimes Food posted:

On earlier discussion I'm confused, do MGs in this get a standard superhuman strength/fitness package or not? Training certainly effects it but are they innately kinda superhuman as in most MG stuff or not?

It definitely seems to affect them to some degree. In the first couple of chapters Sally eats poo poo and Sylvia eats poo poo which are both injuries the average person wouldn't shrug off, though it's not clear how much of that is like, plot armor/comic relief.

I also feel like it probably saved Starlight Spear's life when she was transporting baby Kokoro to the hospital - like even without the extreme speed, a normal person wouldn't have been able to survive that long - but I don't know. We also hear about MGs getting tons of injuries and ultimately being fine though I'm guessing a lot of that is due to healers. Rue also uses her magic to heal herself, so we can assume that to some degree their magic fuels strength and regenerative properties, though I'm getting into conjecture territory.

Also when trying to look for something I ran into this page which I'm really curious about still. I wonder if her dream was disturbing, or if she's musing about her mom and the fact that her powers went into her?

God this comic has so many nice details and is just so well put together. I love to reread it sometimes and just appreciate all the little worldbuilding poo poo that's in it. Thank you Mary for such a nice comic.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

It definitely seems to affect them to some degree. In the first couple of chapters Sally eats poo poo and Sylvia eats poo poo which are both injuries the average person wouldn't shrug off, though it's not clear how much of that is like, plot armor/comic relief.

I also feel like it probably saved Starlight Spear's life when she was transporting baby Kokoro to the hospital - like even without the extreme speed, a normal person wouldn't have been able to survive that long - but I don't know. We also hear about MGs getting tons of injuries and ultimately being fine though I'm guessing a lot of that is due to healers. Rue also uses her magic to heal herself, so we can assume that to some degree their magic fuels strength and regenerative properties, though I'm getting into conjecture territory.

Also when trying to look for something I ran into this page which I'm really curious about still. I wonder if her dream was disturbing, or if she's musing about her mom and the fact that her powers went into her?

God this comic has so many nice details and is just so well put together. I love to reread it sometimes and just appreciate all the little worldbuilding poo poo that's in it. Thank you Mary for such a nice comic.

Not just me who finds it unclear then? I'm assuming they have at least a bit though it's obviously kinda variable and not like the Sailor Senshi (Usagi can exit atmosphere from a standing jump lol) or anything.

Also new page and here weeee goooo.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Comparing to the initial Tessa-Goops fusion, I'm seeing more hands and fewer eyes, and it's all concentrated in the monster. Wonder how much difference there is from it being contact with A Generic Monster vs Tessa being outright engulfed by Goops.

When Zoe's cousin Alex had a "light contact wound", the goo that came out was almost all screaming mouths.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
He also said his nightmare had everyone trapped and there was a lot of screaming voices...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Now the question is can Vedika make anything of this/remember it more clearly than other people who get contact injuries.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Now my big question is if this is also what goes through Goops head every moment of the day. Could explain some of her more hateful traits if this is just her life.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
How... How many people?!

Enough

:unsmigghh:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

Re-reading this I really forgot a couple of things. One is how early goops was shown, but two it also it made me remember how confused I was at the page where all the girls are all dead or dying. Compared with the pages you've posted of Sally and Sylvia eating poo poo, the impact that the monster causes later doesn't really seem so life-threatening.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I think the implication is that the gravity-giraffe just kept doing it, and none of the girls could figure out a counter before they were worn down. When Undine goes back a few nights later, there's a bit of flashback speech we didn't get to see initially.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I suspect part of the reason for that scene later is that I don't feel that was communicated clearly at all the first time. Which, like, to be clear I don't think we really needed on-screen graphic treatment of the characters, but going from showing two of them being able to take heavy blows to that being fatal was pretty confusing on a first read with how it's laid out.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

See I thought it just crushed them to death with a gravity field, Undine mentions staying alive by keeping her blood inside with water control.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I didn't see this kinda thing coming. It seems so obvious in hindsight.

I thought there might be some revelation where Vedika realizes she can fight monsters on the astral plane or some such bullshit, not that the monsters were in pain or something.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, dang. Mary has stated that this isn't like Madoka, in that the monsters aren't former magical girls.

She never said anything about them not being former people.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Has anyone ever mentioned what non-MG dreams are like? Because I’m getting some “nightmares made manifest” vibes now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

Has anyone ever mentioned what non-MG dreams are like? Because I’m getting some “nightmares made manifest” vibes now.

They haven't but I feel like based on that comic where the girls are discussing their Founder dreams, people just have normal dreams. Otherwise I feel like they'd be like "sure was nice to have a GOOD dream" or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Joe Slowboat posted:

See I thought it just crushed them to death with a gravity field, Undine mentions staying alive by keeping her blood inside with water control.

That's exactly what it did. It basically just gravity smashed them into the ground over and over until they were dead.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Given what form they take, I've always assumed they take the form of people's fears; animals, cartoon characters, distorted human features (Mouths).

isasphere posted:

Oh, dang. Mary has stated that this isn't like Madoka, in that the monsters aren't former magical girls.

Minus "It's not a dream" this is starting to feel a lot more FF X right now.
Cuz there's a non-zero chance these monsters, if not the whole entire enterprise are powered by the souls of the damned.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So uh what happened to that guy who came from outside the bubble anyway :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The comic did show us that the hurling was its main form of attack, albeit not directly: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-7-page-33

Just that, presumably multiple times.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

isasphere posted:

Former people that were outside when the barrier first went up, I am guessing.

That said, that doesn't quite explain that one dude who is implied to be from outside the city.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's exactly what it did. It basically just gravity smashed them into the ground over and over until they were dead.

I read it as one very, very hard smash, basically crushing them into the ground with the force of a fall from a far greater height than they actually were. But same overall effect.

It's an elevator-monster! Fear of falling, etc. Someone's fear is being stuck in an elevator plummeting from the ??th floor.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ditocoaf posted:

I read it as one very, very hard smash, basically crushing them into the ground with the force of a fall from a far greater height than they actually were. But same overall effect.

It's an elevator-monster! Fear of falling, etc. Someone's fear is being stuck in an elevator plummeting from the ??th floor.

And then pinned them down with gravity iirc, since they talk about not being able to move from the weight (and how it’s not the air pinning them down, so the yellow girl - Sylvia? - is helpless too).

It’s a brutal scene and it never read ambiguously to me that the monster was just much stronger than what they usually fought, by orders of magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Magical girl: Heel Stomp?