Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'd put money on the answer being "no" but also that there'll be more info on it when PvP launches

PvP launches Oct. 4. PvE is scheduled for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Father Wendigo posted:

It wasn't just e-sports, Blizz is still wrestling with the consequences of spending nearly a decade thinking they were infallible rock stars and disappearing up their own rear end.

Still no PvE news? Is it coming when 2 officially launches?
The company is basically done, hearthstone devs do a good job but everything else is dead. It's hard to know what went so wrong, my guess is maybe the higher ups figured one fortnite was worth more than than a dozen diablo 3s and thought they could focus test their way to a giga success and killed off so many projects that the company culture just became wheel-spinning. Would totally read a book on it though, it's crazy how companies like Riot and Mihoyo can do so much while Blizzard does so little.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've never really understood the business model of running a bunch of expensive servers and internet connections without a subscription fee and keeping a game online for 30 years. It is why blizzard was my favorite company and I played all of their games to death, but I don't get how you can keep up with costs. Of course I also don't care about cosmetics, so maybe there is enough meat on that bone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Wave posted:

The company is basically done, hearthstone devs do a good job but everything else is dead. It's hard to know what went so wrong, my guess is maybe the higher ups figured one fortnite was worth more than than a dozen diablo 3s and thought they could focus test their way to a giga success and killed off so many projects that the company culture just became wheel-spinning. Would totally read a book on it though, it's crazy how companies like Riot and Mihoyo can do so much while Blizzard does so little.

From pretty much all accounts it was mostly due to a dysfunctional workplace where surprisingly little work got done due to the aforementioned rock star attitude being kinda pervasive.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lord Packinham posted:

There is an alternate timeline where we could be watching an Overwatch cartoon with Arcane production values because they didn’t dumpster their most popular IP in years. Man, blizzard’s brain got so broken by DotA they will blow everything up chasing e-sports.

this will always amaze me. OW's characters are insanely popular and the best they could do with a story in six whole years is "overwatch is potentially reuniting? Watch this space!!!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They brought back the PVE, but it was a laggy mess when I tried last night. Hopefully it’ll run better tonight, because I really enjoyed it in the past, and am boggled why they don’t make it an all the time thing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

this will always amaze me. OW's characters are insanely popular and the best they could do with a story in six whole years is "overwatch is potentially reuniting? Watch this space!!!"

Lord Packinham posted:

There is an alternate timeline where we could be watching an Overwatch cartoon with Arcane production values because they didn’t dumpster their most popular IP in years. Man, blizzard’s brain got so broken by DotA they will blow everything up chasing e-sports.

To be fair, they've told a fair chunk of story but it's almost all backstory. They've done a bunch in-game but I don't think they ever actually set an event in the modern day, and the main plot has only really been nudged forward by the comic. And I do mean nudged- outside some of the stuff around Doomfist's release that really just consolidated Talon into becoming a more visible and active threat then it was historically, all we've gotten is character beats and fluff pieces that sometimes find a way to advance a character's personality (Torb, Zarya) without actually budging the plot at all.

As for other medium, Blizzard has historically eaten poo poo multiple times trying to turn Warcraft into a multimedia entity and understandably are probably very gunshy about trying again. Activision might have tried at one point if it didn't utterly gently caress up it's own attempt to try to do something with Call of Duty instead but are likely too embittered by their golden goose's Hollywood turn dying in the womb to want to try with their toadie underling's IP instead.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-hQvaacotk

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

uhm, so Blizzard sent me an email titled "Your Official Overwatch Weekly Performance Update Awaits, <BattleTagName>

I open it up and it is data from another user. lol?

edit: keeps changing. now apparently i'm a mercy main

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 2, 2022

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I got one and it told me I didn't play enough to have any data and to play more. 😔

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

EngineerJoe posted:

I got one and it told me I didn't play enough to have any data and to play more. 😔

that's what they reverted to

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 2, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Finally a Rein statue. Those earlier DPS-character statues were bit expensive at $200, but it is the Reinhardt!

:eng99:

Still pretty cool looking, but I'm not made of money.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why do they keep wasting time on statues that aren't Junkrat

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
1100 holy poo poo, I remember when I would have liked the D.Va statue but not for $450 (and then it suddenly wasn't available anymore, RIP).

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
2 feet tall? That seems pretty huge for a shelf statue. Feels like a weird in between shelf size and floor size

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Macaluso posted:

Why do they keep wasting time on statues that aren't Junkrat

They have to do a resculpt into clean, unfrazzled, non-goblin Junkrat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

They have to do a resculpt into clean, unfrazzled, non-goblin Junkrat.

Finally releasing a Junkrat statue and having it be based on his objectively worse OW2 design would be an utter travesty

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Macaluso posted:

Finally releasing a Junkrat statue and having it be based on his objectively worse OW2 design would be an utter travesty

Unfortunately, Junkrat and Roadhog are not allowed to have fun under any circumstances per director fiat. This order was passed down by Geoff in 2017 after Jeff kept killing his Widowmaker and D.Va with "that big fat ugly man and the other one who also isn't a girl."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It’s a little surprising how much worse some of the redesigns are, did blizzard lose character artists at some point? The initial battlepass skins or whatever they’re selling right now also look like poo poo design wise.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Wheeee posted:

It’s a little surprising how much worse some of the redesigns are, did blizzard lose character artists at some point? The initial battlepass skins or whatever they’re selling right now also look like poo poo design wise.

If you start selling bad skins for money first, it makes the mediocre and good skins that come later look like good value.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

How about these character redesigns:

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1558623545374023680

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1558632898336501761/photo/1

i like that the eiichiro oda one just looks like the fairy tail guy instead

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

not 100% sure if this is real but lol

Gonna have to start grinding funbucks to unlock new heroes

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That same bundle had a 'guaranteed access' to the public beta back in summer.
Also most of those skins are from the OW1 collectors edition.
The two space raider ones are new, which to be fair, look cool. Just not 30€ 40€ cool.

edit: Also is that the new fox heros name spoiled there?

Issaries fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 8, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

adhuin posted:

edit: Also is that the new fox heros name spoiled there?

Looks like it! And it also spoils that going forward, new heroes will be locked behind battle passes!

Wow I hate modern game monetization.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/Spex_J/status/1567694080909660162

So they'll be free to grind. Still sucks tho

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/Spex_J/status/1567694080909660162

So they'll be free to grind. Still sucks tho

Ah that's still lovely but it's not as bad. I was probably going to do that anyway. It's going to make being a new player lovely though, there's going to be a constantly increasing roster of characters that you have to grind to get?

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 8, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

avoiding situations where people tell their team "i cant swap to X i dont have her unlocked" was a conscious design decision in ow1 lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Even if it's on the free BP that's still an insane decision. I can't believe how excited I was about Overwatch at one time :smith:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What happens if you don't play for most of a season, the season ends and you haven't unlocked the battle pass character on the free track? Halo Infinite is the only game I can think of where battle passes don't expire, the way nearly every other game does it is once it's over, it's gone, you aren't getting any of the stuff on it ever again.

Obviously that'd be crazy for a character so it's fair to assume they have some thing planned, probably just unlocks for everyone regardless at the end of the season and getting them "early" is your reward for playing or there's a system like Valorant has for unlocking them but it's dumb to not announce it now, whatever it is, games out in a month so some of this stuff should be getting laid out.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

avoiding situations where people tell their team "i cant swap to X i dont have her unlocked" was a conscious design decision in ow1 lol

They also thought people would play multiple characters, switching depending on the situation, and that characters hard countering each other was fun and cool gameplay

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

thebardyspoon posted:

What happens if you don't play for most of a season, the season ends and you haven't unlocked the battle pass character on the free track? Halo Infinite is the only game I can think of where battle passes don't expire, the way nearly every other game does it is once it's over, it's gone, you aren't getting any of the stuff on it ever again.

Obviously that'd be crazy for a character so it's fair to assume they have some thing planned, probably just unlocks for everyone regardless at the end of the season and getting them "early" is your reward for playing or there's a system like Valorant has for unlocking them but it's dumb to not announce it now, whatever it is, games out in a month so some of this stuff should be getting laid out.

I suspect it'll be like HOTS where they'll rotate the freely available hero pool every now and then. I can't imagine they'd never rerun the heroes period, they can't possibly be that stupid (knocking on wood)

Certainly agree that they should be announcing that stuff more sooner than later, game's less than a month away.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Even if it's on the free BP that's still an insane decision. I can't believe how excited I was about Overwatch at one time :smith:

Don't worry, PvE will save the game!

:roflolmao:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Well, what little hype I had left is gone, a baffling decision but I should have known better. I know people are going to come in saying how it isn’t a big deal but, man, what a bad decision.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It doesn't seem all that baffling to me, to be honest. On the whole, interest in Overwatch has plummeted. Blizzard is in trouble (to put it mildly). The OW team is probably being/feeling pressured to generate more revenue so they're taking things that were previously free and giving them a price tag.

This is the trajectory the entire industry has been on for decades – it sucks, but it's not really surprising at all.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I mean, I think you could do it if you rebalanced all the characters so they were more inline with other hero shooter kind of games (valorant, apex, rainbow six). However, the way heroes are designed in OW, they are way too strong to lock behind anything. Other games got away with it because of how not impactful some of the kits are and the game lets you get guns.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
After years of trying to like OW1 the conclusion I reached is that TF2 was right to have a drop in, drop out server model that saw players come and go and a generally much more chaotic and less finely tuned match flow, and OW1 adding set teams and match making (which includes outside of ranked) was fundamentally a mistake).

I know these traits are intentionally a blending of DOTA and TF2, so I guess I'm saying OW will never be the game I want it to because it'll always be a blend of a game I love and a game I hate.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Game is caught in a whirlpool. Don’t get caught in that whirlpool too. I really hate to be this negative about something that I was once so positive about but there is no way this turns out well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

imagine dungeons posted:

Game is caught in a whirlpool. Don’t get caught in that whirlpool too. I really hate to be this negative about something that I was once so positive about but there is no way this turns out well.

Course correction is possible, for what it's worth.

Making the character freely accessable and gating something else, like the ability to use cosmetics, behind BP grind is the minimum concession I can think of. That said, the glacial pace they accomplish changes at means that could be a year or more off.

It seems like they're chasing after those mythical F2P whales at the expense of alienating most of what's left of an already dwindling fan base.

:hmmyes: