Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

How long did it take for waters to recede/get pumped out after Katrina?

~3 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
We had a massive flood in the small town where I grew up in very rural West Virginia in 2001. Water receded after a week but it took another 2-6 months of cleaning to get rid of all of the mud and debris.

Can't imagine the kind of cleanup after a flood like that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm assuming all those buildings are unsalvageable

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when Houston built thousands of homes inside Addicks and Barker Reservoirs?

Oops.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

SirPablo posted:

Recovery isn't going to happen overnight, or without massive loss of life, but the land will become fertile farming again.

If this was a normal floodplain situation, yeah, here's your farmland back with new and improved fertility, try to avoid building in the flood zone again dumbasses. However, Pakistan depends on glacier meltwater for irrigating summer crops and there seems to be a bit of problem with those glaciers disappearing. The fertility boost might be short lived, relatively speaking.

Waiting with bated breath for the Fraser Valley to get blown out to sea again this November. Why are we putting condo developments on farmland again?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

Why are we putting condo developments on farmland again?
To create shareholder value? Number go up!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean how long does it take a condo to grow, and how many can you feasible plant per acre?

It's possible they are just the best crop.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Dog Case posted:

There are lots of places called lakes that don't have water in them until they do. Maybe Pakistan should have been called a lake all along

Schroedinger's Lake

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Stereotype posted:

lol scientists are so stupid. their models are perpetually wrong and no one should trust them

been saying this

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Only Trust Your Orb

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

dr_rat posted:

I mean how long does it take a condo to grow, and how many can you feasible plant per acre?

It's possible they are just the best crop.

That's why corn is always getting replaced with condos

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Only Trust Your Orb

My broke my Orb in an accident that was totally not my fault. Can I borrow someone else's?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's why corn is always getting replaced with condos

The system works! Oh, and just checking, anyone who's bought a Condo recently, whats the nutritional value? They taste nice bulldozed, chopped up and put into a pasta? Was just thinking of having a pasta to night you see, which is why I ask.

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Sep 8, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I, for one, look forward to living in a corndominium

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm assuming all those buildings are unsalvageable

Zero Damp Moldy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you locked two guys in a condo with no food or entertainment other than an intense amount of historical and current weather data, they'd probably come up with some interesting models after a week or so

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Look To Your Orb For The Warning

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Dog Case posted:

Maybe Pakistan should have been called a lake all along

*picks up map and sharpie*

Lakistan

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
at this rate the movie biodome is going to become an educational movie

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/MikeTFox5/status/1567690720646938624?s=20&t=s4lc1iQYxj1LdDdNNSBAfQ

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Whatever happened to that whole spiel about "we have earthquake but at least we don't get hurricanes :smug:"?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Floor is lava posted:

much like idiocracy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Whatever happened to that whole spiel about "we have earthquake but at least we don't get hurricanes :smug:"?

it’s always been a bit of a technicality. water temps drop rapidly as you go north from baja to San Diego so hurricanes lose all their strength and Southern California only gets remnants.

you can see it all pretty clearly here: https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/gulfcalf.cf.gif
and here: https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/californ.cf.gif

you need 27C to maintain a tropical storm.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s always been a bit of a technicality. water temps drop rapidly as you go north from baja to San Diego so hurricanes lose all their strength and Southern California only gets remnants.

you can see it all pretty clearly here: https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/gulfcalf.cf.gif
and here: https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/californ.cf.gif

you need 27C to maintain a tropical storm.

Thank goodness we shouldn't expect sea temperatures to rise anytime soon

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Or a revenge El Nino.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Or a revenge El Nino.

How exactly you done El Nino dirty that you just automatically think it's gonna go out of it's way to get revenge on you?

Like what is it you done? Can you just apologize or somethin'?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

yup it’ll still be a few years though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whos got a flood map for LA in 10+ feet of storm surge?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

5m doesn't even get too bad, most of LA has steep cliffs leading upland from the beaches

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

it looks like they only ran it for categories 1 and 2,
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/203f772571cb48b1b8b50fdcc3272e2c/page/Category-2/

still, LA and the surrounding communities are mostly well above sea level

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
RIP to Long Beach and the port though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and yet LAX will be completely unscathed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PG&E you've done it again!

https://twitter.com/LifeOnThinIce/status/1568004038050074624?s=20&t=mjSkB24HyCDYe99nPuB6cA

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1567621932694278144?s=20&t=mjSkB24HyCDYe99nPuB6cA

https://twitter.com/CAFireScanner/status/1567994469613707265?s=20&t=mjSkB24HyCDYe99nPuB6cA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

has pg&e thought about putting the spicy wires in a hole so they dont fall onto trees?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Real hurthling! posted:

has pg&e thought about putting the spicy wires in a hole so they dont fall onto trees?

That doesn't sound good for the next quarterlies

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Tbf I'm not that surprised volcanoville suffered from burns

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

burying that transmission system would cost many, many billions of dollars to build due to the terrain and the voltages involved. It will absolutely never happen

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Floor is lava posted:

didn’t Steve Bannon direct that?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The one guy living in Blastscorchland getting increasingly nervous about the overcharged glowing wires hanging right over his home constructed of kindling and gas dipped paper

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

burying that transmission system would cost many, many billions of dollars to build due to the terrain and the voltages involved. It will absolutely never happen

But imagine the tax benefits? Also they made $475 million in Q4 so like maybe spend some money on something important, assholes!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are they protected from liability from the fires cause they seem expensive