Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My man looks like a 18 year old in 1970 or a 52 year old in 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Felt like Ruiz never fully put his foot on the gas, or was able to fully put his foot on the gas

While watching the fight I couldn't really tell whether Andy wasn't pressing because he didn't want to or because he couldn't. When he deployed any level of offense he was immensely successful. I had a $20 bet on Andy by points and by the end of the second round I was ready to kiss it goodbye. But then Andy took the next few rounds off. Some of his pre-fight and post-fight talk suggests he was sticking to an extra-careful game plan and specifically not going for a KO, but if so it was a mistake. Every time Andy let his hands go he was effective and he landed a lot of good shots early behind forward movement. Otherwise he got handily outboxed by Ortiz' midrange jab.

I guess I find it hard to believe that Andy had punched himself out by round 3 but that's sorta what it looked like, or else he was far more respectful of Ortiz' power than he should have been. Andy said pre-fight that this time around he wasn't going to worry about losing weight or working on his conditioning, but whatever he did instead didn't seem to have worked.'

Ruiz has some really scary hand speed in this division and enough power to carry through with it. He's fast enough to make his own openings happen. But he's also a pretty short stocky guy in a division dominated by long, tall and powerful athletes. Andy may like to counter punch but the reality is guys at the top level aren't going to let him, and he'll either have to make the fight happen himself with pressure or he'll lose to guys pot-shotting him from midrange. I think Usyk and Fury would handle him easily, probably Joshua too. I like the Wilder match and think it's winnable for Andy but I would have to count him as the underdog.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 5, 2022

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I hope Ortiz got a good payday.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

LLCoolJD posted:

I hope Ortiz got a good payday.

He reportedly got paid 550k, plus potential addition PPV revenue (don't count on it). As I mentioned previously, he's probably looking low six figures going forward: 200-300k for his next fight if it's against a name, and maybe 100k~ or less if he chooses to fight a journeyman who's there to lose. Not sure if it will be worth it to him considering how much of a boxer's purse goes to taxes and expenses. He does have a special needs child that requires expensive care though so I would expect to see him fight until commissions refuse to license him.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He reportedly got paid 550k, plus potential addition PPV revenue (don't count on it). As I mentioned previously, he's probably looking low six figures going forward: 200-300k for his next fight if it's against a name, and maybe 100k~ or less if he chooses to fight a journeyman who's there to lose. Not sure if it will be worth it to him considering how much of a boxer's purse goes to taxes and expenses. He does have a special needs child that requires expensive care though so I would expect to see him fight until commissions refuse to license him.

It seems like they got a pretty good gate based on just there not much else interesting Labor Day Weekend in LA so I would assume both cleared 7 figures (Ortiz low and Ruiz mid) for this fight.

Ruiz vs the Wilder-Helenius winner seems like a stone lock and Ortiz probably fights Otto Wallin though it would be nice to see him get a payday to fight Chisora. And I think he'd win that pretty handily too.

EDIT: Also seems to be more Twitter chatter than normal that Tank Davis-Ryan Garcia might be happening in December. Just being pressimistic I think it's just trying to use eachother for clout but maybe not...

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 6, 2022

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1567181463413473286?t=TJJi7c70F8K9KHMXkhapew&s=19

Why fight Chavez jr when you can fight (one of) the fighter who beat him.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Silva is 47 lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Related to Ortiz talk, what makes a boxers legs "shot"? Like I know reflexes dull, brain injury makes your "chin" go, but what takes away agility and endurance in foot work? Wearing out the cartilage in the knees? Age just making your muscles less efficient? Just getting heavier? Something else?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
as i understand it it's just the very real limit of your physical youth. you just literally cannot do what you used to do or can only do it in bursts. sorry, that style of boxing you perfected is now essentially worthless at this level, hope that style lends itself well to a thoughtful, methodical remastering of your skillset or hang em up

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/1566779738512842755?s=20&t=elSX4Y0ChofG0Yuj7OjLJQ

Joshua will have to take it then probably retire unless something drastic changes with him

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/1566779738512842755?s=20&t=elSX4Y0ChofG0Yuj7OjLJQ

Joshua will have to take it then probably retire unless something drastic changes with him

huh. couple of years earlier than i predicted but if aj isn't doing backflips and getting that poo poo signed asap then i don't know wtf

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Fury-Joshua followed (possibly) by Fury-Usyk would be a hell of a pair of fights for us to watch. Surely he just packs it in after that and does exhibition fights and promotion work.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

according to sky sports joshua has responded accepting the fight verbally and the contract should be signed today for december. fury was a gentleman offering 60/40 as well.

after reading that i got this powerful feeling that aj is going to leave it all in the ring. i think he'll want this more than he's ever wanted anything. and i think fury will gently caress him up.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

not really sure what the attraction of a Fury-Joshua fight is now?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

JoylessJester posted:

watching AJ get knocked unconscious after valiantly fighting his way off of the mat several times previously

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it will go a little way on the mission to close the book on the topic of the best heavyweight of this era. not that it isn't 99% shut already, but i'm having a sort of numbing dread thinking about a timeline where this fight doesn't go ahead and i have to politely disengage from somebody trying to say that joshua would have done fury

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also aj has a hail mary last ditch chance to wipe the slate clean and it will be one of the biggest events in the history of the uk

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

JoylessJester posted:

Neither is going to get any better than they are now. Joshua is unlikely to win back the belts anytime soon. Fans want to see it, and they're going to make lots of money.

Edit: the megafight is closer to reality
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/anthony-joshua-accepts-tyson-fury-27926839

Hip hip!

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 7, 2022

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Unfortunately it appears that boxing will be excluded from the 2028 Summer Olympics in LA ,though they are planned to be included in 2024 in Paris. Honestly it was earned given the incredible corruption in amateur boxing (some would say even worse than the pros) but a shame to see and will no doubt hurt development of the next generation of pros.

https://twitter.com/gbboxing/status/1567422832883138562?t=y_vG3bFn-XNvievJH3X9dQ&s=19

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Related to Ortiz talk, what makes a boxers legs "shot"? Like I know reflexes dull, brain injury makes your "chin" go, but what takes away agility and endurance in foot work? Wearing out the cartilage in the knees? Age just making your muscles less efficient? Just getting heavier? Something else?

Besides the general loss of speed, athleticism, and stamina, you literally start to lose your balance as you age, which means you need to move more deliberately.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

JoylessJester posted:

It's not what it was, but Joshua is still in the top tier of the division, and it's still a big fight.

Does feel like Joshua decided to cash out if he goes ahead with this fight though.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Maybe he thinks he can win. I'm a dumb homer but I think he has a shot.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

He's fast, has power, and can defend himself. But I also see an unwillingness to trade big shots and a questionable gas tank. I have to favor Fury and don't see AJ winning unless he can get Fury out of there somehow before it goes to the score cards.

Fury survived Wilder's right hand but almost got undone by that cut in the Wallin fight, so there's a chance.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

The SituAsian posted:

Unfortunately it appears that boxing will be excluded from the 2028 Summer Olympics in LA ,though they are planned to be included in 2024 in Paris. Honestly it was earned given the incredible corruption in amateur boxing (some would say even worse than the pros) but a shame to see and will no doubt hurt development of the next generation of pros.

https://twitter.com/gbboxing/status/1567422832883138562?t=y_vG3bFn-XNvievJH3X9dQ&s=19

Losing boxing and weightlifting in one Olympic cycle will be an absolute joke. I don't understand the IOC and their methods. Citing corruption or drug standards when every bit of competition is suffering the same issues... I hate it

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Olympic swimming/track records are being shattered. Nothing to see here!

Corrupt judging in Olympic boxing seems like good preparation for pro boxing. I don't see the problem.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

LLCoolJD posted:

Corrupt judging in Olympic boxing seems like good preparation for pro boxing. I don't see the problem.

Lmao you're right, it legitimately did inform RJJ's resolve to not leave things up to the judges.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boxing sucks and it’s fine if it’s not in the Olympics

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Boxing sucks and it’s fine if it’s not in the Olympics

You will change your mind when GGG knocks Canelo out next week.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Those guys are getting paid at least

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Saturday's card that was to be headlined by Savannah Marshall-Claressa Shields and Mikaela Mayer-Alycia Baumgardner from the O2 London has been postponed to October 15th following the death of Elizabeth II

Shame for the fighters for sure - and just my opinion here - kind of unnecessary since only the FA postponed the weekend Premier League fixtures and I believe all other sports in the UK are continuing as scheduled . However, if it stays on, October 15th will be a pretty nuts boxing day between that card, Haney-Kambosos 2 and Wilder-Helenius.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Decorum may have robbed us of the women's card but AnEsonGib vs Austin McBroom was legit the best social media influencer/YouTuber/Tiktoker fight to date

https://twitter.com/john245101/status/1568847900532162561?t=UBnGGXyk435HEb8qALAsiA&s=19

Also feel free to post Canelo-GGG 3 predictions. I got Canelo by Unanimous Decision . I think he may get a knockdown or two but GGG still has the power to keep him away and I think he'll not want to take any big risks coming off losing to Bivol.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GOLOVKIN BY KNOCKOUT

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Doubt this is worth as much as it was a couple of years ago

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1569620989457088516?t=RxNaXnV2mEQ_6jUnsjNw0g&s=19

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
RIP

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I wasn't expecting this megafight. Hell yeah.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is boxing better or worse off if Joshua gets a (presumably very lucky) KO?

Edit: I assume our UK fans will have to enter into old blitz era shelters to avoid the nationalist media storm that would wash over the kingdom.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 13, 2022

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Better off. Because Fury stays in the game. And lord knows what Usyk does then

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: I assume our UK fans will have to enter into old blitz era shelters to avoid the nationalist media storm that would wash over the kingdom.

I don't think it changes the landscape at all. Tyson's always flirting with not fighting again and Joshua's toast if he loses, but he'll just lose to someone else off the back of it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think worse off. If Fury beats AJ, a subsequent win over Usyk would really cement him as this generation's best. Which is neat and tidy and I like it. Ali > Holmes > Lewis > Klitschko > Fury as the generational bests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, the last three in that last really suggest it's just so good to be an extremely tall, long armed heavy weight.