Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I hate the external shark fin antennae so picked up a couple of little stubby 2” RP-SMA antennae for my computer. They work just fine. I wasn’t too concerned about reception since I have an AP in the same room about 8’ away, but I am sure they do not pick up signal as well as the original shark fin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally got my new motherboard (GIGABYTE B550M DS3H AC), R5 5600 and ram installed. However, I'm a bit confused on the ram speed part. My previous build had the luxury of the ram just running at the correct speed right out of the box. This isnt the case with the current one.

Here is my current setup, 2x 4gb sticks @ 3200 and 2x 8GB sticks at 3200

My BIOS says that the Teamgroup RAM (Which it says are in DDR4_A1 and DDR4_B1) are running at 2400MHZ, and that the G.Skill (in slots DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2) are at 2133MHZ.

I am not really familiar with XMP, is this what I want to turn on to get everything running at the right speed? What is the right way to go about this?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh what fixed it out of curiosity?

so generally with mixed kits you get the lowest common denominator with XMP, it will support the tightest timings of the slowest stick. turn it on and see what happens imo.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Just making a reply so I can find my own stuff

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CoolCab posted:

oh what fixed it out of curiosity?

so generally with mixed kits you get the lowest common denominator with XMP, it will support the tightest timings of the slowest stick. turn it on and see what happens imo.

I dont think it is fixed, since the BIOS reports them running at different speeds, Task Manager reports that the memory is running at 2133mhz. Both sets, despite being mixed brands, are DDR4 3200, so they should be able to hit that, and that should be the lowest common denominator, if I'm understanding

I'm guessing I should turn on XMP?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If I wanted to do a build in a Deskmeet B660, how far would you trust the lovely no-name 500W PSU that comes with it? I'm planning to toss one of the new Raptor Lake chips in it, but I was planning to wait for 13700 non-K or 13600 until I saw in the review that Tweaktown stuck a Core i9 in it: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10119/asrock-deskmeet-b660-small-form-factor-pc/index.html.

Putting a CPU with 125W TDP / 240W PL1 seems insane, but they specifically note that its motherboard includes power settings for up to 265W power limits.... in an 8L case with a 500W PSU. Thoughts?

Edit: I was going to carry over my existing SFF GTX 1060 into it initially, and wait patiently for SFF RTX 4050s or 4060s to exist cheaply at retail, so there's another 120-150W.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 8, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont think it is fixed, since the BIOS reports them running at different speeds, Task Manager reports that the memory is running at 2133mhz. Both sets, despite being mixed brands, are DDR4 3200, so they should be able to hit that, and that should be the lowest common denominator, if I'm understanding

I'm guessing I should turn on XMP?

Yes, and if you run into problems you can turn it back off and manually set timings if you need to.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Twerk from Home posted:

If I wanted to do a build in a Deskmeet B660, how far would you trust the lovely no-name 500W PSU that comes with it? I'm planning to toss one of the new Raptor Lake chips in it, but I was planning to wait for 13700 non-K or 13600 until I saw in the review that Tweaktown stuck a Core i9 in it: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10119/asrock-deskmeet-b660-small-form-factor-pc/index.html.

Putting a CPU with 125W TDP / 240W PL1 seems insane, but they specifically note that its motherboard includes power settings for up to 265W power limits.... in an 8L case with a 500W PSU. Thoughts?

Edit: I was going to carry over my existing SFF GTX 1060 into it initially, and wait patiently for SFF RTX 4050s or 4060s to exist cheaply at retail, so there's another 120-150W.

I'd order it and see what you get. It's possible it's a Delta another brand that's not terrible and they just don't publish anything about it since they might change it out depending on availability. If it looks cheap and feels light I'd pick up a 650-750 Watt of a good brand with a 10 year warranty.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Desktop Processor (6-core/12-thread, 35 MB cache, up to 4.4 GHz max boost) https://amzn.eu/d/6eV6tpP

£150 for Ryzen 5 5600x at the moment, great deal?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you're trying to upgrade on a budget, it's hard to go wrong with a £150 5600 heh.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey thread, got two quick ones; my aunt is overseas and was thinking of having her bring me something for my rig.

1) Is the Western Digital Blue SN570 still the go-to for NVMe s?

2) I currently have 16 gigs of ram, and was thinking of maybe upgrading to 32gb? Worth it? Do I just get another 16 of the same speed to complete the 32 or are those outclassed by now? Any recs for that?

Thanks a bunch.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
do you have 2400 mhz ram? that's very slow ram. you could probably upgrade both speed and capacity i'd suggest, a 32 gig kit isn't extortionate.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CoolCab posted:

do you have 2400 mhz ram? that's very slow ram. you could probably upgrade both speed and capacity i'd suggest, a 32 gig kit isn't extortionate.

Yeah, it just kinda got left behind as I upgraded other bits of my rig.

How's something like this? VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't remember if there was anything majorly wrong with it (except for the strap), but that TUF Asus case is down to $60 at newegg (compact variant). Fairly cheap for a case that comes with 4 120s. It's a mesh design, but the filter + front cover is probably gonna impede airflow a decent amount.

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811173038

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lmao the strap

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The strap is holding it together.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hell yeah baby I want the strap.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"Is that to hold your keyboard when you go to LAN parties?" -my first thought as an old person

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, it just kinda got left behind as I upgraded other bits of my rig.

How's something like this? VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18

i missed this yeah those are probably fine. in the ideal you'd get 3600 cl16 kits but that's super super marginal that will do gr8. you probably shouldn't reuse the old ram since it will run at lowest common denominator speed, but i think you still have two additional slots for upgrading like this if you ever wanted to.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

MarcusSA posted:

The strap is holding it together.

Coulda been a bungie cord

e: It reminds me of the trend where someone would get two rows of surface piercings on their back, run a ribbon through them, take 200 pictures, then never do anything with them again

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I don't remember if there was anything majorly wrong with it (except for the strap), but that TUF Asus case is down to $60 at newegg (compact variant). Fairly cheap for a case that comes with 4 120s. It's a mesh design, but the filter + front cover is probably gonna impede airflow a decent amount.

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811173038

Strap? That is clearly a fan belt.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well it's unique :shrug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hello thread, you've been incredibly useful in the past so I come here for opinions on whether I should upgrade my CPU

I have an Intel Core i9-7900X cpu, paired with an ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe (Skylake/2066LGA), bought around 2018. Nvidia RTX-A5000 (similar to a 3070 but with more vram for 3d applications), and 32gb of DDR4 RAM. On paper it seems like a great system to me, still!

However - the CPU has always struggled in CPU heavy games. The chip is lovely for 3d modeling and rendering, having 10 cores/20 threads, but for instance in the new Spider-Man game, machine does not hit a constant 60fps if I enable anything over medium+RTX at 1080p. Almost nothing changes if I bump up resolution to 4k, so definitely CPU bottleneck.

CPU-Z bench gives me sad single core performance, similar to an i3 (!?)

multithreaded perf is great, 5550

In short: I don't want to spend money on a new Motherboard, but I was wondering if buying a new CPU could help me to:
1. reduce the cpu-bottleneck for games
2. Keep multithreading advantages

Do I have any good choices here with this motherboard?

I looked at PCPartsPicker for Skylake cpus, and there's a bunch of options that increase core count, but not single thread speed...
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#sort=-cores&F=63

Maybe I should look into overclocking or something? I never played with it because, well, I didn't feel the need for speed, until playing new games that still need fast cpu.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tbh you should be doing better in Spider-Man. Have you tried,

https://twistedvoxel.com/fix-frame-rate-performance-marvels-spider-man-remastered/

Quite a few people report that this fixes the issue. I’m not sure I’d go with a cpu change at this point :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I honestly don't think there's any in-socket upgrade you can make that wouldn't be both worse and more expensive than simply buying into a new platform. For example, the 12600K outperforms the i9-9940X in Cinebench r20 by 57.8% in single-threaded testing and 12.5% in in multi-threaded testing, and you can get that plus a new motherboard for much less. A 12700K would be even faster. There's no real need to go HEDT anymore unless you're doing some really core-heavy stuff with VMs or encoding.

(edit: there are probably other use-cases for HEDT CPUs, but for a rendering workstation/gaming PC hybrid, ordinary consumer CPUs are quite capable these days)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 10, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
you could upgrade the CPU without upgrading the motherboard but it wouldn't really make a lot of sense, upgrading to the 10900X or something (highest you could go would be 10980XE) wouldn't be cheap at all and would still be years out of date performance-wise, even for rendering

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

https://twistedvoxel.com/fix-frame-rate-performance-marvels-spider-man-remastered/

Quite a few people report that this fixes the issue. I’m not sure I’d go with a cpu change at this point :shrug:

Huh, I'll give this a shot, I wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I honestly don't think there's any in-socket upgrade you can make that wouldn't be both worse and more expensive than simply buying into a new platform.

lih posted:

you could upgrade the CPU without upgrading the motherboard but it wouldn't really make a lot of sense, upgrading to the 10900X or something (highest you could go would be 10980XE) wouldn't be cheap at all and would still be years out of date performance-wise, even for rendering

Thank you, I was afraid this might be the case - looks like I should save up for a new mobo+cpu then! :buddy:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For maximum irony, save up for the upcoming Ryzen 7900X from AMD. It'll have 12c/24t with AVX-512 support (in case that matters) with cores that are guaranteed to be much faster than the i9-7900X. (or just get the 16c/32t 7950X, but that's less funny)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Mein Gott Marcus, you've done it again! This fixed the stuttering 100%, I'm playing on High settings now! C'mere, lemme kiss u on the lips :buddy:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For maximum irony, save up for the upcoming Ryzen 7900X from AMD. It'll have 12c/24t with AVX-512 support (in case that matters) with cores that are guaranteed to be much faster than the i9-7900X. (or just get the 16c/32t 7950X, but that's less funny)

looks like this ol' horse still has some power under it, but I'm not above spending money for geeky lols :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Glad it worked! It seemed a little weird it wasn't running good because hell even the steam deck can run the game decently!

I think you for sure have some life left in the machine.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

spunkshui posted:

Just get some fan extension cables off Amazon.

I unplugged the fan’s power cable while waiting on the extensions… and it’s still displaying the same behaviour. I left the RGB cable connected, but that shouldn’t be supplying power to the motor?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lazyhound posted:

I unplugged the fan’s power cable while waiting on the extensions… and it’s still displaying the same behaviour. I left the RGB cable connected, but that shouldn’t be supplying power to the motor?

Normally no, fan power and lighting should be entirely separate. It could be a bad pcb in the fan or something, though, and there's no telling what could be going on if there's some solder bridged on it or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

Looking at your other posts, getting a fan extension cable to run the fan separately almost certainly won't do anything. That would have to be an extraordinarily underpowered header to struggle with three 140mm fans. Something is clearly wrong with the fan itself, and if it's trying to spin while only the RGB is plugged in, then something is really wrong.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I would not plug a fan into your computer that spins when you plug its lights in.

Malfunctioning electronics can equal fire.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can you take and upload a picture of the connector? that behaviour is wild

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spunkshui posted:

I would not plug a fan into your computer that spins when you plug its lights in.

Malfunctioning electronics can equal fire.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm thinking about CPU v GPU bottlenecking and the new hardware coming down the pipe in the next few months. Currently, I'm on a i7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus Z390A + RTX 2080 combo from 2019 and it's a trooper. I game on an ultrawide @ 1440p, but nothing like FPS or anything that really requires a solid 144fps. Definitley not touching 4K nor am I thinking about 4K anytime soon. I've been doing more sim racing in VR than I have standard gaming, and am trying to get things to cap my framerate out at 90fps (HP Reverb G2). I'm running all my VR settings at low-med to keep the framrate above 60 right now. Thinking about the new 40xx lineup coming out, if I were hypothetically able to get my hands on an RTX 4080 and throw that into my current system, would that have a noticeable effect for VR especially? I get that the GPU would be miles ahead of the CPU, but do you think the CPU bottleneck would be big enough to not make the GPU upgrade worth it without also overhauling the whole system?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm thinking about CPU v GPU bottlenecking and the new hardware coming down the pipe in the next few months. Currently, I'm on a i7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus Z390A + RTX 2080 combo from 2019 and it's a trooper. I game on an ultrawide @ 1440p, but nothing like FPS or anything that really requires a solid 144fps. Definitley not touching 4K nor am I thinking about 4K anytime soon. I've been doing more sim racing in VR than I have standard gaming, and am trying to get things to cap my framerate out at 90fps (HP Reverb G2). I'm running all my VR settings at low-med to keep the framrate above 60 right now. Thinking about the new 40xx lineup coming out, if I were hypothetically able to get my hands on an RTX 4080 and throw that into my current system, would that have a noticeable effect for VR especially? I get that the GPU would be miles ahead of the CPU, but do you think the CPU bottleneck would be big enough to not make the GPU upgrade worth it without also overhauling the whole system?

You should be totally fine.

Some games are real CPU hogs like 40 vs 40 world of Warcraft (any anything else with a ton of people everywhere).

If you are paying normal games that are graphically intense you can just drop in a 4080 with a 9700k.

My 9600k has no issues keeping my 3080ti at triple digit fps with all the settings absolutely cranked in new titles like "tiny tina" and my system is far empty when it comes to background programs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It’s not too common, but I do notice my 11600K bottlenecking my 3060ti occasionally, even at 1440p. Like the newer Assassin’s Creeds, Far Cries and Cyberpunk. But only in localized spots, usually the GPU is at full utilization.

I don’t know how this compares to most VR games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

12700K + MSI Z690 Carbon DDR5 for $500 shipped... from Australia (sold by "Techno Point.") https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-12700k-core-i7-12th-gen/p/274-000A-01NG1

I believe Techno Point isn't a random marketplace reseller but a certified regional partner of Newegg's. As such, Newegg handles all returns and customer service.

Anyway, that's a very good price for a 12700K and a good-quality motherboard, if you can stomach the time to ship it across the ocean.