Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The 25-year timeline is to reduce the amount of cancer deaths. The specific one-off project funding is over 6 years.

Although, he is also asking for a large permanent baseline increase in FDA, NIH, and CDC funding that is not specifically earmarked. So, that is technically over infinity years.

If he can get a large permanent baseline increase that will be great but fragmenting everything even more with a vanity agency and a meaningless timeframe for deliverables is "standing up a blue ribbon commission to study the feasibility of standing up a blue ribbon commission" Dem bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

slurm posted:

If he can get a large permanent baseline increase that will be great but fragmenting everything even more with a vanity agency and a meaningless timeframe for deliverables is "standing up a blue ribbon commission to study the feasibility of standing up a blue ribbon commission" Dem bullshit.

We have no real clue what specifics ARPA-H is going to do, so you could be right about that.

Would a large baseline increase to the FDA, CDC, and NIH budgets that isn't earmarked for something specific be the bad thing you were talking about earlier with the money over a long period of time & non-specific goals being ripe for abuse?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

We have no real clue what specifics ARPA-H is going to do, so you could be right about that.

Would a large baseline increase to the FDA, CDC, and NIH budgets that isn't earmarked for something specific be the bad thing you were talking about earlier with the money over a long period of time & non-specific goals being ripe for abuse?

I don't trust a new agency and don't like the grandstanding inherent in a big "moonshot" goal having a 25-year timeframe. Pick someone (NIH+FDA?) and fund them correctly and after a reasonable amount of time (2 years?) assess; or else create ARPA-H as an absolute Godzilla agency, fund it like a war, and tell it to cure cancer by 2030 or else.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
curing cancer is a lofty, noble goal. It's even possible in some limited cases in the sense that a specific cancer can be directly treated.

however, it's still gated behind the same medical system.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
gated behind the same medical system. , and bandaged over by the same lovely labor culture and some other cultural rot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

And none of the plan touches the same insurance complex that gates access to the same medical system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like we can work on cancer cures and resolving those issues in parallel

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

haveblue posted:

Also a lofty, noble goal. They can absolutely work on both if they choose.

Are they really gonna cure cancer? Probably not. Maybe they distribute funds or partner with the research side of pharmaceutical companies to take a run at a specific cancer(s) and come up with a successful new treatment which works (and these do exist) but will then be denied by insurance because it's "experimental." And without insurance it will cost butt-tons because the healthcare system is profit-based.

Are they gonna fix insurance? Probably not. Maybe they come up with a law that is a massive handout to insurance companies so that they take everyone, including high-risk patients. Better than the system before but not solving the underlying issue.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Found this from ourworldindata

quote:

Almost half – 46% in 2017 – of all people who die from cancer are 70 or older. Another 41 percent are between 50 and 69 years old – so that 87% of all cancer victims are older than 50 years.

Considering most people are going to get covid at least once a year in the next 25 years, there's a great chance doing nothing at all about cancer will still meet the moonshot target of cutting cancer deaths by half in that timeframe. Smart move to take credit for it preemptively!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mastershakeman posted:

Found this from ourworldindata

Considering most people are going to get covid at least once a year in the next 25 years, there's a great chance doing nothing at all about cancer will still meet the moonshot target of cutting cancer deaths by half in that timeframe. Smart move to take credit for it preemptively!

You're correct that if the annual Covid death rate increases 7,930%, then we're probably in pretty big trouble.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

haveblue posted:

We can, but we're not going to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Everything about it is weird.

Which is why I think the simplest explanation is the most logical.

Trump is dumb as poo poo in ways that make GWB look smart and the only things he values are money and "loyalty". You could toss "attention" in there too, I suppose, but the only reason he'd even bother here, to me, is the part of his brain that says "hey I could make a deal here and make a lot of money like winners such as myself typically do". I can't imagine where intellectual curiosity or anything deeper than "profit" entered his very stable genius brain. I mean...MAYBE there's something in there that could potentially be dirt on someone else but, tbh, I sincerely doubt he even read the loving things and I bet whatever they are contain more pictures, graphs and charts than actual words, let alone paragraphs.

One has to think like Trump here and 99% of the time the answer as to "why ____________?" anything at all is always something to do with money and a scam. For all I know, a document or two had the words Clinton or Biden in it somewhere and he thought "I'd better grab that" but that would mean he bothered to read them and, like I said, I have my doubts. It could be as dumb as "gently caress you I'm president these are mine" and he just stated tossing poo poo into a storage bin like an angry divorcee trying to liquidate a bank account, but even then I think he was imagining dollar signs if it in fact went down that way.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BiggerBoat posted:

For all I know, a document or two had the words Clinton or Biden in it somewhere and he thought "I'd better grab that" but that would mean he bothered to read them and, like I said, I have my doubts.

We know that he spent roughly two months personally overseeing the process of collecting and selecting the documents from December 2020 to January 2021. He definitely did not just randomly pick some boxes.

In order to even get some of the stuff he took, he had to go through a process to request and unlock the documents that only a dozen people knew about.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

We know that he spent roughly two months personally overseeing the process of collecting and selecting the documents from December 2020 to January 2021. He definitely did not just randomly pick some boxes.

In order to even get some of the stuff he took, he had to go through a process to request and unlock the documents that only a dozen people knew about.

How do we know that? I don't doubt it, but I don't know what the confirmation was. the two month thing

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
The trouble with Trump is that guessing his motives means guessing which of his many character flaws was dominant in a given moment. Was he following his spite, or his greed? Did his rage outweigh his cowardice? Only the Pop-O-Matic randomizer bubble in his head knows for sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

How do we know that? I don't doubt it, but I don't know what the confirmation was. the two month thing

WaPo and NYT stories from last month:

quote:

As the fight with the Archives came to an uneasy conclusion, the FBI proceeded with interviews with others in Trump’s orbit, including valets and former White House staffers, people familiar with the interviews said.

Agents were told that Trump was a pack rat who had been personally overseeing his collection of White House records since even before leaving Washington and had been reluctant to return anything.

quote:

The document seizure has brought focus to the White House staff secretary position, which is responsible for the flow of documents to the president, and was vacant for the final weeks of Trump’s presidency after Staff Secretary Derek Lyons left the role in late December 2020.

quote:

Trump himself was responsible for recording and returning the documents with no official White House staff overseeing the documents while the position was vacant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mechanical Ape posted:

The trouble with Trump is that guessing his motives means guessing which of his many character flaws was dominant in a given moment. Was he following his spite, or his greed? Did his rage outweigh his cowardice? Only the Pop-O-Matic randomizer bubble in his head knows for sure.

True, but also several of these things aren't (necessarily) mutually exclusive.

Thanks for catching me up on this. So...it's "I can sell this poo poo" after all.

On the other hand, it's from Wapo and the NYT so I forgot that's fake news.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 8, 2022

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I wonder how he even knew what to ask for if these are such specific secrets.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mizaq posted:

"Hey that Macron guy, I bet their nukes aren't all that impressive compared to ours, right?"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mizaq posted:

"$2 billion and lots of new golf tournaments at my courses? Sounds great, what do you want?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mass shooter has engaged in a "shooting rampage" across several locations in Memphis.

He's been driving around and shooting while live-streaming the shootings on Facebook.

No info on casualties.

https://twitter.com/RideMATA/status/1567691162525237248
https://twitter.com/MEM_PoliceDept/status/1567664078532796417
https://twitter.com/MEM_PoliceDept/status/1567668457071599617

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 8, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There is extremely NSFW video of his streams going around. He pulled up to a random Autozone and shot an employee before driving away. Looked pretty bad.

He was using a 3D-printed/Ghost gun, dumped it, and is now using some kind of Glock that was illegally modified to shoot fully automatic.

He's been firing wildly into buildings, so the casualties could be very low or very high, depending on how those random shots landed.

Not posting it, but you can google his name and Memphis to find it.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://twitter.com/mem_policedept/status/1567700922100219912?s=21&t=6nU5zJ2-P0abtIXyUL4LCg

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
"a male Black"

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Spoke Lee posted:

"a male Black"

It does say "Memphis police"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I find the whole "maybe he just wanted to show off these intelligence docs to his golf buddies" thing to be very annoying. Yeah, all of that is possible but come the gently caress on. The answer that makes the most sense and is IMO by far the most likely is that he was going to sell this poo poo or use it for leverage/blackmail. It's understandable that both the DOJ and the media would want ot avoid directly accusing him of this without hard proof, but the DOJ/FBI/CIA should have had his rear end wiretapped out the wazoo months ago once his retaining this stuff became known.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

I find the whole "maybe he just wanted to show off these intelligence docs to his golf buddies" thing to be very annoying. Yeah, all of that is possible but come the gently caress on. The answer that makes the most sense and is IMO by far the most likely is that he was going to sell this poo poo or use it for leverage/blackmail.

Why? Based on what?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

some plague rats posted:

Why? Based on what?

Everything Trump has ever done in his entire life.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Everything Trump has ever done in his entire life.

"Everything Trump has ever done in his entire life" would support the first theory though?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

some plague rats posted:

"Everything Trump has ever done in his entire life" would support the first theory though?

His "golf buddies" includes Saudi Arabian officials. Dunno if he's ever played golf with him, but Trump also considered Putin a friend. So maybe it's a combination of both, he just took the documents to show off to his buddies, who happen to be dictators and psychopaths.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Maybe there are more details about these two months somewhere that I haven't seen, but the articles and your post seem to be doing a whole lot of extrapolating from the fact that the staff secretary left in December. I can't imagine anyone here would say that Trump "personally oversaw" the job responsibilities of every empty staff position in the West Wing, even if that may be technically true on some org chart somewhere.
Not to mention that "personally oversaw" is pretty much resume-speak for "maybe asked about a thing once" so my first inclination is not to assume that noted coward and moron Donald Trump suddenly grew a spine and decided to devote himself fully to the act of selling state secrets. And that step 2 of this plan was sitting on those secrets for a year and a half while kinda just leaving them wherever?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm not super clued into the economics of the car manufacturing industry - so I don't know why this was possible for Chevy, but not for anyone else as of yet - but, Chevy announced that their 2024 Equinox will be the first electric SUV to cost less than $30k and qualify for the new federal rebate.

That means that in California (or other places with large state level EV rebates), the final cost for a new 2024 Equinox will be ~$19,999.

Most other car manufacturers have their electric SUVs in the ~$45k MSRP range (down to ~$35k in a best case scenario with state and federal rebates) and $30k is usually what the cheapest EV sedan runs.

I'm not sure how they did it or what the economics of it are, but it is a good sign for cheap EV adoption because, (for better or worse) SUVs and Trucks are the most popular car models in the U.S. by far and EV adoption isn't going to see widespread acceptance until they are as cheap as ICE cars and available in the most popular models.

https://twitter.com/HOPE4THE_FUTURE/status/1563355689296478208

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If you live in an urban area with only street parking how do you charge an EV?

I’ve never thought about it because I have a garage and a driveway now. When I was younger I didn’t have as much as a parking spot, just a resident parking permit that meant I wouldn’t get towed at certain hours/areas on the street.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

There is extremely NSFW video of his streams going around. He pulled up to a random Autozone and shot an employee before driving away. Looked pretty bad.

He was using a 3D-printed/Ghost gun, dumped it, and is now using some kind of Glock that was illegally modified to shoot fully automatic.

He's been firing wildly into buildings, so the casualties could be very low or very high, depending on how those random shots landed.

Not posting it, but you can google his name and Memphis to find it.

Where are you seeing that he used a 3d-printed gun? I searched and haven't found a single mention of that, even on Twitter. There is, however, a photo of him with a few pretty standard-looking pistols.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Baronash posted:

my first inclination is not to assume that noted coward and moron Donald Trump suddenly grew a spine and decided to devote himself fully to the act of selling state secrets. And that step 2 of this plan was sitting on those secrets for a year and a half while kinda just leaving them wherever?

Unless Trump and his people have been under surveillance, we have no idea whether everything has just been sitting in cartons or Trump's office, or how much of it has been sold or given away or lost.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Baronash posted:

Where are you seeing that he used a 3d-printed gun? I searched and haven't found a single mention of that, even on Twitter. There is, however, a photo of him with a few pretty standard-looking pistols.

That was what some of the live tweets were saying as it happened. It looks like some of the official articles are now saying it was an illegally "modified" handgun with a part that can be made with a 3-D printer, but the entire gun itself was not.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

davecrazy posted:

I’ve never thought about it because I have a garage and a driveway now. When I was younger I didn’t have as much as a parking spot, just a resident parking permit that meant I wouldn’t get towed at certain hours/areas on the street.

I mostly charge at grocery stores, but also have one of the old 7kW trickle chargers near my work.

Based on how busy the grocery store chargers are, I assume a lot of other people are doing the same.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

davecrazy posted:

There's not really an adequate solution for this yet. You'll see some designs for sidewalk paving slabs that have slots in them so you can safely run a power cord out to your car without causing a tripping hazard, but that still means you're running a high voltage line from your front door out to the street and doesn't help with apartments.

Ideally, fast charging networks will get built out enough that they essentially replace gas stations, so you'll pop on down to the convenience store for a charge when you need one. But that requires a massive buildout of infrastructure and faster charging times in general.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The city of Memphis is now confirming that the shooter killed 4 people and 3 more are in critical condition at the hospital.

https://www.localmemphis.com/articl...09-30b4192b7070

Still not much info on motive or background, but the shooter had been charged with attempted murder before and was banned from possessing or purchasing guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

There's not really an adequate solution for this yet. You'll see some designs for sidewalk paving slabs that have slots in them so you can safely run a power cord out to your car without causing a tripping hazard, but that still means you're running a high voltage line from your front door out to the street and doesn't help with apartments.

Ideally, fast charging networks will get built out enough that they essentially replace gas stations, so you'll pop on down to the convenience store for a charge when you need one. But that requires a massive buildout of infrastructure and faster charging times in general.

Yeah it's my big hesitation. I have a dedicated parking space with my apartment but no EV charger accessible. The parking space itself is also in an adjacent lot so I can't reasonably run a cable from the apartment to it.