Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

If you want the best iPhone camera you can get for at least the next year, the answer is yes, cost be damned.

Are you happy with the current low light performance, or do you want it to be even better?

I think the low light could definitely be better. I'm used to the low light stuff from Pixels and it'd be cool if the iPhone could do that...plus the zoom would be awesome too. Is the 2X zoom as good aa they're claiming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Subliminal Ninja posted:

Base 14 is £70 more than base 13 was at launch. Base pro is £150 more expensive.
With the exchange rate being as poor as it is, it’s a huge increase.

Bit annoying really, well I guess I’ll see how much I get for my 13 Pro with the screen scratched to poo poo on trade in.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Is it just me or have they hosed UK people on price last year the 13 Pro was like 1000 for a 256gb and now the 14 Pro is 1200 for the same option.

Yeah it sucks, getting the 13P last year was in hindsight a very good choice.

track day bro! posted:

Bit annoying really, well I guess I’ll see how much I get for my 13 Pro with the screen scratched to poo poo on trade in.

If you have AC you're better off paying the screen replacement fee and flipping it on eBay or Gumtree, the trade-in value sucks this year.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 8, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ok so it just looks like Europe in general got a price hike, because it’s 1200€ for the base pro and 1400€ for the 256gb

Or at least those are the prices if you check Apples site from Germany and Spain so, gonna assume it’s the same for most of Europe or worse.

ijyt posted:

If you have AC you're better off paying the screen replacement fee and flipping it on eBay or Gumtree, the trade-in value sucks this year.

If I can borrow a 2nd gen SE from work for a bit then I might do that. I really hate selling stuff like that as it always seems to attract morons.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 8, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think the low light could definitely be better. I'm used to the low light stuff from Pixels and it'd be cool if the iPhone could do that...plus the zoom would be awesome too. Is the 2X zoom as good aa they're claiming?

I don't understand how the 2x zoom can be very good at all when it's taking a crop of just ¼ of the main sensor.
Maybe I'm wrong and it uses AI to combine the main sensor and the 3x telephoto into a seamless picture (probably doesn't matter if the very edges of the combined shot have poor actual resolution.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it a good idea to get an iPhone 14 Pro Max if you have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and you really like cameras?

It’s still probably a fairly incremental upgrade so it depends on your budget / finance preferences.

I’ve upgraded every year, so A. gently caress it why stop now, and B. I essentially either trade in my old phone for a promo , or I sell it on swappa to basically make it way more palatable every year.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wait the new phone STILL uses lightning and now they have even taken away the sim slot?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The Lightning connector is a great connector. Apple is totally correct to keep the Lightning connector on the iPhone.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

~Coxy posted:

I don't understand how the 2x zoom can be very good at all when it's taking a crop of just ¼ of the main sensor.
Maybe I'm wrong and it uses AI to combine the main sensor and the 3x telephoto into a seamless picture (probably doesn't matter if the very edges of the combined shot have poor actual resolution.)
It’s a crop of 48 MP though, so your 2x zoom image will be actually 12 MP instead of the current 3 MP. The pixels and aperture are smaller so it might not be awesome in low light (Apple might fall back to the 3 MP mode here, who knows) but on the whole I would think that pictures at 2x will probably look quite a bit better. But obviously we’ll have to wait until reviews come out at the very least to really get a good idea.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

silence_kit posted:

The Lightning connector is a great connector. Apple is totally correct to keep the Lightning connector on the iPhone.

mods????

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clock is ticking on lightning, so let people enjoy it while they can I guess. Thanks EU!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s still probably a fairly incremental upgrade so it depends on your budget / finance preferences.

I’ve upgraded every year, so A. gently caress it why stop now, and B. I essentially either trade in my old phone for a promo , or I sell it on swappa to basically make it way more palatable every year.

According to Apple's site I can get up to a $1000 credit for my 12 Pro from any carrier. The last few phones I replaced were older and Ebay/Swappa was a better deal, but it seems like trading in is the move now.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

I like lightning, the ports are more durable and easier to clean out. What does USB—C get me that lightning doesn’t do?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Frank Dillinger posted:

I like lightning, the ports are more durable and easier to clean out. What does USB—C get me that lightning doesn’t do?

literally everything lighting does but better and faster.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Having USB-C won't add any functionality to the iPhone, and it is objectively a worse connector, but the long-time-coming ubiquity of the connector is almost complete including on Apple's own devices.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

literally everything lighting does but better and faster.

Most USB-C cables and devices are USB 2.0.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait the new phone STILL uses lightning and now they have even taken away the sim slot?

Yep!

I’ll probably bounce back to Android in January when the S23 line hits. Not ready to commit solely to Apple/need to get a third party involved when I feel like swapping devices.

Not really a thing the average user is gonna encounter, but dumb tech likers own, and use, multiple phones. Taking away the SIM tray, especially when the international versions of your phone keep it, is just anti-consumer poo poo. Pretty aggressive walling of the garden.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Having USB-C won't add any functionality to the iPhone, and it is objectively a worse connector, but the long-time-coming ubiquity of the connector is almost complete including on Apple's own devices.

I have 2 other Apple devices (iPad Air and Macbook Air M1) so I'm not an Apple hater or anything and don't have a single lightning connector in my house. I'm not building out a whole series of lightning chargers and cables everywhere I already have USB C cables setup. I was strongly considering getting an iPhone but a lightning connector is an absolute deal breaker for me and I will not get one until that is fixed at least.

Also a lack of a sim card slot is uh, not great either. Not being able to travel abroad and just pickup a local prepaid sim to slap in there is pretty lovely.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

eSims are way better for international travel lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

~Coxy posted:

Buy the better cables? Like what the gently caress dumb rear end statement is this? With lighting you're stuck with the one cable that's garbage and with USB-C you have options, including a good amount of cables that are way the gently caress better? And have been for years?

If lighting was so good Apple wouldn't have dumped it on the iPad Pro. This is of course all irrelevant as what Apple needs to do is ditch the cable altogether and embrace wireless only :getin:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Dave posted:

eSims are way better for international travel lol

??? Not having a sim slot doesn't mean it has more support for eSims. You can support both eSims AND sim cards fiendo. When I go abroad I don't want to have to struggle to find a prepaid plan while not speaking the language and be limited to just eSims on top of it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Buy the better cables? Like what the gently caress dumb rear end statement is this? With lighting you're stuck with the one cable that's garbage and with USB-C you have options, including a good amount of cables that are way the gently caress better? And have been for years?

If lighting was so good Apple wouldn't have dumped it on the iPad Pro. This is of course all irrelevant as what Apple needs to do is ditch the cable altogether and embrace wireless only :getin:
They’re just cables man, lmao.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

American McGay posted:

They’re just cables man, lmao.

Agreed they're all bad. But if we're stuck using them, having everything using the same one is the way to go and Apple has dragged lighting out long enough.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Frank Dillinger posted:

works with more than one specific device. that's literally all I care about. Lightning is fine but my ipad, macbook, work laptop, mouse, ps5 controller, and anything else I will buy in the future with a rechargeable battery has a USB C connector.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 8, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s the most minor inconvenience imaginable, especially with the charge time and battery life of newer phones. Forcing myself to use a lovely Pixel 5a or spend $1400 on a Galaxy S23 because I don’t want to have to deal with an extra cable in my kitchen.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

American McGay posted:

It’s the most minor inconvenience imaginable, especially with the charge time and battery life of newer phones. Forcing myself to use a lovely Pixel 5a or spend $1400 on a Galaxy S23 because I don’t want to have to deal with an extra cable in my kitchen.

Yeah if only there were more options than a lovely Pixel 5a or a mythical $1400 Galaxy S23 available that used the industry standard connector

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Is there a thread with good dynamic wallpapers? Or just a phone wallpaper thread? Mines a little tired.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Is there a thread with good dynamic wallpapers? Or just a phone wallpaper thread? Mines a little tired.

I like Backdrops on the App Store for wallpapers. All static though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have 2 other Apple devices (iPad Air and Macbook Air M1) so I'm not an Apple hater or anything and don't have a single lightning connector in my house. I'm not building out a whole series of lightning chargers and cables everywhere I already have USB C cables setup. I was strongly considering getting an iPhone but a lightning connector is an absolute deal breaker for me and I will not get one until that is fixed at least.

Also a lack of a sim card slot is uh, not great either. Not being able to travel abroad and just pickup a local prepaid sim to slap in there is pretty lovely.

This whole "one cable to rule them all" thing is so funny to me - we travel with multiple devices that need charging (Phone, Watch, AirPods, Steam Deck, iPad, Laptop), you'll likely need a couple different cables in your bag for charging multiple devices at the same time, so what's the big deal with throwing a Lightning cable in there? My Apple Watch is always going to use a proprietary dongle of some sort - I'm better off getting a MagSafe charger so I can use one cable for my Watch/Airpods/iPhone. iPhone + MagSafe charging is USB C only...

I stopped believing in the USB C dream when I noticed that half my devices couldn't be charged with a USB C to USB C cable. The USB C spec is a confusing nightmare for consumers.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 8, 2022

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Soul Glo posted:

I like Backdrops on the App Store for wallpapers. All static though.

Nice, thanks

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I bought a Backbone One not long ago. Lightning cables forever, baby!

Also:
https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1567713870848086016
Uggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

I bought a Backbone One not long ago. Lightning cables forever, baby!

Also:
https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1567713870848086016
Uggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

google is very sad they only get green bubbles it's such a shame

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I have a 12 mini currently, the smaller screen and gash battery life are getting pretty tiresome.

I'm considering either upgrading to a 14 or getting an Amazon renewed 13 pro.

No idea which. Anyone got an opinion?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Thirteenth Step posted:

I have a 12 mini currently, the smaller screen and gash battery life are getting pretty tiresome.

I'm considering either upgrading to a 14 or getting an Amazon renewed 13 pro.

No idea which. Anyone got an opinion?

The only refurbs I'd buy would be whatever you can get from Apple's refurb store. They have their full warranty and you can add AppleCare. If you get them from anywhere else you're rolling the dice.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

The only refurbs I'd buy would be whatever you can get from Apple's refurb store. They have their full warranty and you can add AppleCare. If you get them from anywhere else you're rolling the dice.

The only issue is that I've somehow gathered hundreds of GBP in Amazon vouchers so Apple isn't really an option.

I do share your doubts though over an Amazon refurb.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Apple refurbs as far as I'm aware are basically as good as a brand new device, but with even less chance of factory failure since they've all been tested.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Question Mark Mound posted:

Apple refurbs as far as I'm aware are basically as good as a brand new device, but with even less chance of factory failure since they've all been tested.

And if any parts were defective, they've been replaced.

Literally the only downside is super petty; instead of the lavishly designed box, with Apple refurbs often you'll get a plain white generic box that has all the info the regular box does.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

And if any parts were defective, they've been replaced.

Literally the only downside is super petty; instead of the lavishly designed box, with Apple refurbs often you'll get a plain white generic box that has all the info the regular box does.

In addition I think they replace the entire outer body of the device with a new one, as well. I've purchased an iPhone and an AppleTV in the past and both came in perfect condition just in the plain box like you said. Highly recommend if they have what you need on the refurb store.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
If I'm on Verizon eSIM and order a new unlocked 14 Pro, will the eSIM move over when I activate the new phone as part of the initial setup? My work is in control of the Verizon account so I'd rather not involve them if possible.

I put in a request to convert my physical SIM to eSIM this morning...we'll see if they have any idea what I'm talking about.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There are myriad third party lightning cables available. Anker in particular makes some excellent ones under their "Powerline" branding, both solid and braided. The ones I've bought have lasted many years.

That said cheap usb-C cables are much more usable than cheap lighting cables, but that's mostly because of USB-PD using higher voltages for higher wattage charging.

I do wish they would just go ahead and switch but hey at least this way I don't need to keep multiple cables in our car to let both me and Mrs pony use CarPlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess no way of knowing but I wonder how fast things will "sell out" on Friday? I am aiming for the Pro Max 128GB but won't be at work till like 30 minutes after they go on sale.