Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Someone buy Russ an account.

What’s an account cost in 2022, like 80 dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

Welcome to the high life lol. I only use my Vita for native/PSP/PSX but it's hands down the best platform for those I've ever used. And definitely get SD2Vita, and check out the Vitahacks reddit for all the stuff you can do (button remapping so I can play the PSP Armored Cores with 2 sticks is a revelation for example). People have made fully functional app stores and everything.

Turning Crazy Taxi into a twin stick game is wild. I almost want to give it proper tank controls.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A new challenger appears, Logitech are making an Android handheld. They're apparently pitching it as a streaming handheld but it's rumoured to be using the Snapdragon G3X chip, which is the one they showed off with the Razer prototype last year and is meant to be a dedicated gaming SOC.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
After getting some games on my PC I realise now why everyone says the XBox (360) d-pad is junk. I'm looking to get an 8bitdo controller and can't decide which one I want to order. If it was just for retro games I'd get the SNES style one, but considering I'd play some racing and sim games as well the PS style controller seems better with the triggers. But then I wouldn't have my retro controller. Decisions, decisions...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Get a SN30 Pro 2 and a M30. I actually prefer the six button MD/Genesis layout for retro games.

The only issue with the M30 is that inevitably you'll have to remap buttons around since the defaults aren't quite right on any platform.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd recommend the Pro 2, the D-pad is great on it. It's absolutely a great controller for both retro and modern games. It's also much more ergonomic than a SNES controller, which I realized after buying one of the official Nintendo Switch SNES controllers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have the Pro+ and it kicks rear end so I can only assume the Pro 2 is even better

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I really like my Pro 2, so much I got the Xbox themed (wired) one which comes complete with Share button and impulse triggers. The paddles on the back are one of those features it's very easy to get used to having.

The M30 is the controller I have plugged into my Mister all the time though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Get a SN30 Pro 2 and a M30.

I did this, can recommend.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

For some reason I never realized the M30 has shoulder buttons as well as the six face buttons. Might have to snag one of those fuckers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retroid Pocket 3 Reviews are out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDChEjgqZ7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FwG5-7Ss_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjY7Gfo1-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTNFpyfByA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrhE8XbjNwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvxK-82haDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlgPeYSnW0A

New Odroid Go ULTRA coming

Odroid dragging the portable retro console market into the future again by making a handheld using the Amlogic S922X SOC, which should give it Super Console X King levels of power in a handheld.

Mrenda posted:

After getting some games on my PC I realise now why everyone says the XBox (360) d-pad is junk. I'm looking to get an 8bitdo controller and can't decide which one I want to order. If it was just for retro games I'd get the SNES style one, but considering I'd play some racing and sim games as well the PS style controller seems better with the triggers. But then I wouldn't have my retro controller. Decisions, decisions...
As everyone is mentioning the SN30Pro+ and Pro 2 here due to being the best widely available modern gamepads with all the bells and whistles with a good classic d-pad, I'll second that, but note that my SN30Pro+ after a while developed some mushyness in the upper left corner such that doing upper left diagonals is noticeably harder to do than the other diagonals. But it is possible for anything to wear out.

I will also mention that if you have a chance, try out the newest XBox Series X/S controllers, sadly they still have a demoted d-pad, but it's a neat super clickly microswitched d-pad, so it feels very responsive and is also very LOUD. Keep in mind despite their price and being first party controllers, XBox controllers are not super reliable.

drrockso20 posted:

this one looks pretty promising for the price;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGBuZvnqjrc
Not bad at all, I wonder if that design is a prototype shell that 8bitdo was considering for their newer model arcade stick but they ultimately went with the boxier design. Also a missed opportunity that it's more of a Super Console X in power where they could easily fit a more powerful SOC in there, but for the price I guess you can't expect that much, same with the lack of wireless joystick functionality. Just for using Emuelec alone that places it above all of the other arcade sticks with built in Pandora's Box operating systems.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 2, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Holy lol

quote:

Hardkernel notes that the battery charges very slowly when fully discharged, so the company will ship the handheld with a special Y-charging cable that a USB-A connector on one end and USB Type-A and Type-C ports on the other. The company says connecting both the Type-C and -A plugs to the handheld at the same time will increase the charging rate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hahahaha

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
I'm not a science man, but if you have a single cable splitting into two cables... charging two ports at once... couldn't they have accomplished the same thing by having a single cable and a single port, and having this "split" thing located internally, within the console, rather than having a dumb idiot cable that needs to be carried around to make the thing not charge like rear end?

Maybe there's a good reason for it that I'm just not getting. Does a female usb port create resistance or something that diminishes the charging speed at only one end of the charging cable? I mean, it would make more sense to me if they said "you need two power adapters and two cables" but this thing is a single cable running from a single adapter that splits into two. So again, if the whole trick is that power needs to be supplied to two parts of the main board at once, couldn't a single female charging port split to these two components within the case?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

8bitdo are finally getting back to 2.4ghz controllers and putting out a version of their Ultimate controller (the Xbox looking one) that has both Bluetooth and 2.4ghz connectivity. Also a charging dock. I might end up getting this to live forever by my PC so my Pro 2 can go and live by the TV.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
How does the Anbernic RG353P go when connected to a TV via the HDMI? Been thinking about getting one of these things for a while but being able to connect it to the big telly would be a bonus.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pig labeled 3 posted:

I'm not a science man, but if you have a single cable splitting into two cables... charging two ports at once... couldn't they have accomplished the same thing by having a single cable and a single port, and having this "split" thing located internally, within the console, rather than having a dumb idiot cable that needs to be carried around to make the thing not charge like rear end?
That cable is certainly non-standard and, frankly, kind of scary. USB A-A cables should be regarded with great suspicion.

I'd assume the USB-C port is the intended charging port on this device? If it is, it should be able to charge at 15 W even without USB-PD. So either, it's not working as intended, or it is and 15 W is considered "slow". I assume the USB-A side is following the Battery Charging spec and can take 7.5 W, and the other end of the cable is intended to be used with a Quick Charger or something that can do more than 22 W. All of this is making generous assumptions about the compliance of any of these ports.

pig labeled 3 posted:

Does a female usb port create resistance or something that diminishes the charging speed at only one end of the charging cable?
USB isn't supposed to be a simple voltage bus connection. There's protocols of varying complexity that define how much power a device can draw from a port. A cable like this might get around those limitations. It would be much more sensible to include a USB-PD chip on the USB-C port though, but that might cost an additional $2 or something. So funny cable it is!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Keep in mind I'm still tweaking settings and will prob switch back to jelOS (if I put it on a fresh SD card, will it reformat my existing rom SD card, or can I hot swap cards between that and the default Anbernic software?) but it seems to work well over HDMI. (edit: the 353p I mean)

There haven't been any issues really. I just a short 5-inch breakout cable leading to a longer HDMI cable, so as to not wear out the device's port. If it's not showing on the TV, the reset button on top always does the job. It looks really nice and I haven't gotten any lag or weird picture problems.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Keep in mind I'm still tweaking settings and will prob switch back to jelOS (if I put it on a fresh SD card, will it reformat my existing rom SD card, or can I hot swap cards between that and the default Anbernic software?) but it seems to work well over HDMI. (edit: the 353p I mean)

There haven't been any issues really. I just a short 5-inch breakout cable leading to a longer HDMI cable, so as to not wear out the device's port. If it's not showing on the TV, the reset button on top always does the job. It looks really nice and I haven't gotten any lag or weird picture problems.

Switching out the OS sd card shouldn't affect the rom SD card at all.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Knowledge about USB charging

Thanks for the breakdown! I get why Hardkernel are frustrated by competitors ripping off their designs, but they just keep asking for it with design decisions like this. This is the third time since the OGA that I recall where they put a device out with an annoying quirk that a competitor fixes right out of the gate, and they inevitably put out a model revision that ends up being too little too late (eg: charging cable type, lack of L2/R2, joystick model).

It's a real shame since they are pulling this market forward, but they keep making the same massive mistakes. With every common complaint they say "well, we can add [x] but it will cost an additional [y basically negligible cost increase]" when their community sees what they're putting out, and by that point everyone has already picked up whatever Anbernic has put out with the same specs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I got a steam deck because I am fiscally irresponsible, and I really want to do emulation on it. Have any of you dipped your toes in it? I tried RetroArch from both the Steam store and the Discover version and neither recognize the controller.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Medullah posted:

So I got a steam deck because I am fiscally irresponsible, and I really want to do emulation on it. Have any of you dipped your toes in it? I tried RetroArch from both the Steam store and the Discover version and neither recognize the controller.

I don’t have a Steam Deck, but try this, I’ve heard good things.

https://www.emudeck.com/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I don’t have a Steam Deck, but try this, I’ve heard good things.

https://www.emudeck.com/

Yeah this is the go to resource.

Also come join us in the deck thread. The deck is real good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Russ has a RP3 review up now. He's a lot nicer than taki was in the one video. Didn't notice any of the big issues taki did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05k0409SQpQ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Russ also put out a shirt with “Yeah man I wanna do it” which I quote tweeted saying I’m wearing it at every pride event now and he faved that so I’ve peaked on twitter now.
https://twitter.com/retrogamecorps/status/1565645530557861888

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

loopsheloop posted:

351V for 80 bux is a great deal on nice hardware, and I think it's different enough from a Deck that you could have both

I have these two as my main emu devices and they complement each other well. I mostly use the deck for multiplayer and PS2 and beyond games, while I use the 351V for anything older. And if I want to go from one to the other with the same game, I can just SSH to my 351V from the Steamdeck and grab my save files!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
If I have a retroarch based firmware on my 351p can I use the same save files on my computer as well as the handheld?

And which firmware should I go for in that case? I was looking at AmberElec but if a Retroarch is cross device it sounds good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mrenda posted:

If I have a retroarch based firmware on my 351p can I use the same save files on my computer as well as the handheld?

And which firmware should I go for in that case? I was looking at AmberElec but if a Retroarch is cross device it sounds good.

You should be able to yes, it’s not about Retroarch though it’s about the emulator. So if you’re using the same RA core on both the saves should transfer just fine. Amberelec imo is the best 351 firmware, but I’ve never spent much time with JelOS to make much of a comparison.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

You should be able to yes, it’s not about Retroarch though it’s about the emulator. So if you’re using the same RA core on both the saves should transfer just fine. Amberelec imo is the best 351 firmware, but I’ve never spent much time with JelOS to make much of a comparison.

So if the same core is used with Amerelec and Retroarch I should be fine?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I’m not an expert but generally if you’re saving within the game and transferring those save files over you won’t have to worry about anything. Where the problem comes in is if you’re wanting to transfer save-states, that’s when matching the cores up exactly comes into play.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I started writing a batch script to sync saves between Launchbox and Amberelec rsync backups using robocopy but it kinda hasn't gone anywhere because I'm lazy; but yeah. Most cores use the same general save format, save states are very core-dependant.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Probably been answered long ago, but is there a decent (or any file browser for Android that'll read an SD card and all of its partitions, specifically like the partitions created by AmberElec?
At home, no biggie to plug it in to my pc, but on the go I'd like to be able to patch a rom, plug an SD reader into my phone and transfer the roms over. Then back over to the 351p. Every file browser I've tried doesn't read anything but the first partition.
I'm sure this dumb, and I don't want to tinker with wireless setups or file transfers, and this would hypothetically be ideal in my use case.

And gently caress, also I'm awful close to biting the bullet for a Steamdeck...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

As far as I remember from my custom ROM days, Android only reads the first partition and to mount others you'd need root, unfortunately.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Fair enough, good to know! Thanks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Russ in general seems way more positive on the RP3 than Taki, I think I might order one. I trust him more anyway lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They must have slipped in some with better QC because I haven’t seen many complaints on Reddit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Still don't get why you'd get an RP3 instead of an RP2+, I guess just bigger screen and a real right analog?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

Still don't get why you'd get an RP3 instead of an RP2+, I guess just bigger screen and a real right analog?

As if those aren't good enough reasons already

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also I don't think the RP2+ has clickable sticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So far all the reviews indicate is that RP3 is a great buy if you don’t already have an RP2+. It is not a Great Leap Forward in the RP tech base like a lot of people were hoping(including myself).