Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Yeah, I was not saying "They should have shot him", I'm saying "I am amazed they didn't shoot the car and him into a thousand smaller pieces once he crashed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

He's in custody and they didn't murder him.

I uh.... wait.... how does this work from here? He's a black mass shooter that was arrested. Last time I remember this was the highway shooting guy.

fake edit: btw this is a horrible person who was doing random shootings, in a video I saw, and should be punished by the absolute full extent of the law. I'm not defending him in the least bit. But you know.... he's black. So I'm curious.

I understand and know exactly how you feel. Not only did the police not kill him, but he's also a psycho mass shooter that posted his attack online and didn't kill himself at the end. How the gently caress is this guy somehow still alive? It's like if a character in a movie survived after talking about being close to retirement, having a baby on the way, and making a comment about "when all this is over."

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

FoolyCharged posted:

I understand and know exactly how you feel. Not only did the police not kill him, but he's also a psycho mass shooter that posted his attack online and didn't kill himself at the end. How the gently caress is this guy somehow still alive? It's like if a character in a movie survived after talking about being close to retirement, having a baby on the way, and making a comment about "when all this is over."

Made extra weird by the fact that he (the Memphis shooter, to be clear) was at one point saying he was gonna die via shootout. Easier said than done, I guess?

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1567697458100158464

Welp, time to never find out why this happened. :dance:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Isn't being a Native person in RCMP custody almost always fatal?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

That's pretty standard. It's like Male: Black. Yeah they could have said black male but I don't understand why this is an issue at all.

It has to do with adjective order in English. It's complicated but you can generally simplify it as going from "less important" to "more important". Normally you'd describe "one heavy-set young black male wearing a yellow shirt" but if you say "heavy-set young one male wearing a yellow shirt black" you sound crazy. Changing one variable, "One heavy-set young male wearing a yellow shirt, who is black" requires breaking out the qualifier you wish to signify (in this case "black").

So, per normal English rules, "black male" is normal and "male black" is not because they are breaking out and emphasizing the blackness.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

2nd Amendment posted:

It has to do with adjective order in English. It's complicated but you can generally simplify it as going from "less important" to "more important". Normally you'd describe "one heavy-set young black male wearing a yellow shirt" but if you say "heavy-set young one male wearing a yellow shirt black" you sound crazy. Changing one variable, "One heavy-set young male wearing a yellow shirt, who is black" requires breaking out the qualifier you wish to signify (in this case "black").

So, per normal English rules, "black male" is normal and "male black" is not because they are breaking out and emphasizing the blackness.

It's not less important to most important, it's "opinion, size, age, shape, colour, origin, material, purpose" in that order. But anyway that's irrelevant because this isn't "normal English" it's a suspect description.

The "<perceived gender>, <race>, <estimated height>, <estimated age>, <clothing>" order of adjectives is super common when describing suspects, you see it all the time regardless of race. I don't know for sure why but I can only assume it's for quick filtering, list the adjectives in descending order of the number of people they rule out so you can more quickly identify the suspect.

I'm not saying cops aren't racist, they absolutely are, this just isn't an example of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

putin is a oval office posted:

It's not less important to most important, it's "opinion, size, age, shape, colour, origin, material, purpose" in that order. But anyway that's irrelevant because this isn't "normal English" it's a suspect description.

The "<perceived gender>, <race>, <estimated height>, <estimated age>, <clothing>" order of adjectives is super common when describing suspects, you see it all the time regardless of race. I don't know for sure why but I can only assume it's for quick filtering, list the adjectives in descending order of the number of people they rule out so you can more quickly identify the suspect.

I'm not saying cops aren't racist, they absolutely are, this just isn't an example of it.
Most suspect descriptions are using "black male", "white female" form though. The other form is mostly used like "male, black, very fat". You can google it yourself:

police suspect "black male" : 2.5m results
police suspect "male black: 1m

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mobby_6kl posted:

Million Dead Kids is a good punk band name

There's a band called Millions of Dead Cops that has over the years used variations on the letters MDC and one of them was Millions of Dead Children.

That's pretty standard. It's like Male: Black. Yeah they could have said black male but I don't understand why this is an issue at all.

"Male black" makes it sound like they're talking about livestock and I suspect that wasn't accidental.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

There's a band called Millions of Dead Cops that has over the years used variations on the letters MDC and one of them was Millions of Dead Children.

"Male black" makes it sound like they're talking about livestock and I suspect that wasn't accidental.
Oh they did? I know the band, it's what made me think of this, had no idea they play with the name though.

Also, I'm not a native speaker but this isn't even grammatically correct, is it? You can say "a male", but "a black" is uhhh.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You see all those commas you used because you're making a list of traits? Yeah, the original post from pd didn't have those and its kind of a big difference on if it's acceptable. I can't speak for cops, but I know I have seen "black male" in our reports a bazillion times and yet I have yet to see anyone write "male Black."

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Holy poo poo, the Memphis shooter was charged with first degree attempted murder, plead guilty to aggravated assault in 2021 and served....11 months.

Unreal.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

CPL593H posted:

I understand what you are saying.
That said, it's such a leap to think the cop was saying that, in an attempt to degrade the suspect, or his race...
Let alone try to PROVE it, that I think our efforts and energy and attention as a society are better spent on the very real, very obvious, very bad systemic racism that still exists today.
Let's clean up that poo poo first, and then we can go after the faint dogwhistle poo poo.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

pro starcraft loser posted:

Holy poo poo, the Memphis shooter was charged with first degree attempted murder, plead guilty to aggravated assault in 2021 and served....11 months.

Unreal.

but that one lady got 4 years for yelling cuss words at cops

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
One guy in Florida got 4 years for saying on Facebook or some poo poo like it if the cops aren't going to protect the Capital citizens should right after January 6th.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Unreal.

Ayup, the usual suspects are doing the whole "SEE, BLAME DEMOCRATS FOR BEING SOFT ON CRIME" poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Canada news, they arrested the other suspect last night, and he died a few hours later from "self inflicted wounds." It's super frustrating because that makes getting a rationale for the rampage die with him.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Most likely the cop just thought it sounded more cop-ish to say "male black" and whenever they speak it's full of copspeak like 'perpetrator' and 'civilian witness' and poo poo like that because it aids in them living their cop persona which is all that gives them self-worth.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arc Hammer posted:

In Canada news, they arrested the other suspect last night, and he died a few hours later from "self inflicted wounds." It's super frustrating because that makes getting a rationale for the rampage die with him.

Any info on who those assholes are? I'd imagine they'll find some sort of manifesto if they had an agenda.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i think it was a good faith effort to not emphasize his race. he's not a black male, he's a male who happens to be black. commendable!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Any info on who those assholes are? I'd imagine they'll find some sort of manifesto if they had an agenda.

Mostly likely something lame like an old fashioned meth freak out.

Last winter on a reserve near where I live a couple of tweakers beat an elder councilor to death because the bonus welfare cheques they give out for Christmas were a few days late.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Yes and in this case "black" is the purpose.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The reason the wording is weird is because generally in the English language, adjectives come before nouns - in cases where they don't, a comma is used as a separator or a colon is used to start a list of adjectives, or the structure is in some other way different - like "the [noun] *is* [adjective]". So in this case they are using "male" as an adjective to describe the noun, a "Black".

"Male, black" or "male: black, 6'0", whatever" or "Black male" would have been appropriate but by typing "male Black" and especially capitalizing "black" but not "male", what they are demonstrating is that they think of him as "a Black", because they used "Black" as the noun and "male" as the adjective.

It could be explained by poor understanding of grammar, sure, but that should sort of be one of the top qualifications for someone who is handling a high-profile social media account. The more likely explanation is that's just the way whoever wrote it thinks of black people: they're "Blacks", and/or that's the way the PD speaks internally. Or it was just a typo and they forgot the comma, but in that case I'd think they would have corrected it by now :shrug:

It's not some horribly damning thing it's just more evidence to add to the pile of archaic, insensitive, and outdated modes of thought being operational standard in a major city's PD.

edit:
https://www.southwestern.edu/live/files/7440-social-justice-language-handout-2pdf

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 8, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: that was a big aggressive, here have this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 8, 2022

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Yeah sorry about that but that was the first video that popped up. He's absolute trash.

Sorry I wasn't calling you on that, I didn't actually notice (:justpost:).

Just independently came to the conclusion browsing twitter at the time and seeing the names the algo was floating to the top.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

Ayup, the usual suspects are doing the whole "SEE, BLAME DEMOCRATS FOR BEING SOFT ON CRIME" poo poo.

Am I a "usual suspect" or is the joke Tennessee is Red?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Am I a "usual suspect" or is the joke Tennessee is Red?

TN is a red state, but I believe Memphis is a blue city. Larger cities/metro areas, etc. in red states are often (but not always) blue, so they're blaming Memphis (or Shelby County in general) for being full of Democrats who "ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Read After Burning posted:

TN is a red state, but I believe Memphis is a blue city. Larger cities/metro areas, etc. in red states are often (but not always) blue, so they're blaming Memphis (or Shelby County in general) for being full of Democrats who "ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN".

This ALWAYS comes up on FB comments. Of course it's Chicago/NYC/LA, they're BLUE!!!!

They also don't quite grasp that with higher population more poo poo is going to happen. That's just how numbers work. :shrug:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

This ALWAYS comes up on FB comments. Of course it's Chicago/NYC/LA, they're BLUE!!!!

They also don't quite grasp that with higher population more poo poo is going to happen. That's just how numbers work. :shrug:

"There's more crime in the city!!"

"But..there's also more jobs, restaurants, bars, housing, entertainment, shops, doctors, friends, transportation..."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

"There's more crime in the city!!"

"But..there's also more jobs, restaurants, bars, housing, entertainment, shops, doctors, friends, transportation..."

Yeah but what about us rural folk?

Oh poo poo, my vote literally counts more than yours? Sweet!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CJRunski/status/1568019439911862279

This is not a re-post

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rival gangs supposedly, but still

https://twitter.com/jdavidgoodman/status/1568021512149516290

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, great, carry on then :)

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
What did the police do?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

2nd Amendment posted:

What did the police do?

probably the ones who started shooting people. they did say two rival gangs

Vakal
May 11, 2008

2nd Amendment posted:

What did the police do?

Took bets.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

2nd Amendment posted:

What did the police do?
The usual: they bravely secured the perimeter and waited for the shooting and/or screaming to stop.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1567977180155752450

:stare:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrettClarkson_/status/1567626634081218565

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS-Mhja3XYg

This is a must watch on what this chief deputy does, conned by one prostitute, second one is a sting operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

A two-fer:

https://twitter.com/LEX18News/status/1568298961181573122
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1568275255172423680

And here's something a little different, although just as scary:
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1568262703449513985

Aww, are the straights trying to reclaim the term "breeders"? :allears: