Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I feel like a boost pedal would work great in that situation. How much are you trying to spend? I love the MXR Timmy, had a couple PaulC Timmy pedals in the past and this is real close to the Timmy V2 I owned but cheaper and no difficulty sourcing them. EHX Soul Food can be had for like $50-60 used, it's a Klone-style booster/OD and could do the job nicely too I bet.

That said the problem itself miiight be due to pickups too far from the strings, though; while I do get an output drop on my tapped guitars corresponding to losing one of the coils, it isn't usually so massive as to be a problem if the pickup height is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm in the UK, I'd probably happily spend £50-100 on something if it would solve the problem well, maybe a bit more. I've never been that into pedals so this is new territory for me.

Not sure about the pickup height - the neck pickup is pretty high and close to the strings to my eye, but maybe you're right.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

chippy posted:

I've got a Fender Player Telecaster HH that I picked up a few months ago. At the time I was really torn between the SS and HH configurations, I've always loved the look and feel of a Tele but generally prefer heavier humbucker sounds. But I do love the single coil tele tones too so I spent a long time going back and forth between the two in the shop. In the end I decided that the split coil tones on the HH were about good enough and for the most part they are - the neck coil split has that really nice chimey, bell-like quality that I really like on the SS tele, and even when it's not split the bridge pickup sounds pretty spanky and only gets more so when you split it. It's super versatile, tone-wise.

The only problem I find is that the output when the pickups are split is a little weak. My amp's a Roland Cube 40GX and I just find that especially on the bridge pickup, when it's split it just doesn't seem to hit the amp hard enough to get enough bite and dirt out of it on some of the amp models. On heavier models like the rectifier, you pretty much can't tell the difference between split and humbucking modes, due to the modelling and compression I guess. But on some of the others, even with the gain fully cranked you just don't get much distortion when it's split, compared to when it's not.

So now obviously I'm gassing for a single coil tele too and kind of tempted to pickup up a Squier Classic Vibe tele but before I go that far, is there anything I can do to improve this situation? I did read that the pots used in these are not the ideal resistance for single coil sounds but I presume if you changed those out, it'd affect the humbucker sounds too, so ideally I'd rather stay away from the modding route too. Would a boost pedal do the job? And if so, any recommendations?

You don't need to change pots, so much as understand that you might have to tweak it. Humbuckers often have 500k pots and singles have 250k, so you have more range on those pots than you need on single coils, and you just have to dial it in.

A boost can help... I have a MOSFET booster that I use with split mode on some Dimarzios and I actually like the split mode quite a bit. It depends a lot on the humbucker. But remember you are playing a "loudness war" with yourself and need to dial in the two sounds (split vs full) before you can really compare it. Try plugging in a single coil strat right after a humbucker guitar and it'll sound weak until you dial in the sound you want. That said, my single coil guitars just sound better than humbuckers I've tried in split mode, so I'm guessing a single coil guitar is in your future.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Somewhat guitar related, but I recently got a SP404MK2 and have been making simple drum beats to mess around with and then I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLA5s0P3KEA

And my god is it a ton of fun to play around with. I just have a bank full of beats (that I can BPM adjust on the fly) and I can record little things to other pads, play along with them, resample to layer everything. It's wild. Not quite a looper but it works once you get the hang of it. And setting the AmpSim on the input channel sounds drat good (just using the Fender Twin emulation and a hall or room reverb on the main FX bus).

The Lofi/VinylSim fx are especially fun to play around with on the bridge pickup with tone set to 10. It's also helping me develop rhythm a lot better than just a metronome.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

80k posted:

You don't need to change pots, so much as understand that you might have to tweak it. Humbuckers often have 500k pots and singles have 250k, so you have more range on those pots than you need on single coils, and you just have to dial it in.

A boost can help... I have a MOSFET booster that I use with split mode on some Dimarzios and I actually like the split mode quite a bit. It depends a lot on the humbucker. But remember you are playing a "loudness war" with yourself and need to dial in the two sounds (split vs full) before you can really compare it. Try plugging in a single coil strat right after a humbucker guitar and it'll sound weak until you dial in the sound you want. That said, my single coil guitars just sound better than humbuckers I've tried in split mode, so I'm guessing a single coil guitar is in your future.

Thanks for this. My wife's got a strat-style Peavey so maybe I'll have a play around with that for comparison. My other guitar's a Gibson SG and that's all I played for years so I'm generally just more used to humbuckers. As far as dialling it in goes, though, if the volume on the guitar and the gain on the amp are both up all the way, where can I really go from there? Although I did notice earlier that turning up the master volume did help a bit.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Re-acquanting myself with the simple pleasures of (smoking weed and) playing heavy riffs through a bunch of fuzz and gain

am I "allowed" to just write songs that are power chords up the low e and maybe a strings? I think I'm doing it anyway but after coming to this taking a break from learning jazz standards I feel like its cheating

gregday
May 23, 2003

NGD makes me happy.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

Re-acquanting myself with the simple pleasures of (smoking weed and) playing heavy riffs through a bunch of fuzz and gain

am I "allowed" to just write songs that are power chords up the low e and maybe a strings? I think I'm doing it anyway but after coming to this taking a break from learning jazz standards I feel like its cheating

It worked for silverchair's first album

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

you’re not only allowed, it kicks rear end

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gregday posted:

NGD makes me happy.

That is all we wanted for you. (I wanna play it, it looks like I would hate it but you never know! I thought I hated Les Pauls, too, until I got one.)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

NGD makes me happy.

Rules. From your first post I added “cream SG” to my dream guitar list.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm a sucker for anything with a maestro trem.

edit: vibrola

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

chippy posted:

I've got a Fender Player Telecaster HH that I picked up a few months ago. At the time I was really torn between the SS and HH configurations, I've always loved the look and feel of a Tele but generally prefer heavier humbucker sounds. But I do love the single coil tele tones too so I spent a long time going back and forth between the two in the shop. In the end I decided that the split coil tones on the HH were about good enough and for the most part they are - the neck coil split has that really nice chimey, bell-like quality that I really like on the SS tele, and even when it's not split the bridge pickup sounds pretty spanky and only gets more so when you split it. It's super versatile, tone-wise.

The only problem I find is that the output when the pickups are split is a little weak. My amp's a Roland Cube 40GX and I just find that especially on the bridge pickup, when it's split it just doesn't seem to hit the amp hard enough to get enough bite and dirt out of it on some of the amp models. On heavier models like the rectifier, you pretty much can't tell the difference between split and humbucking modes, due to the modelling and compression I guess. But on some of the others, even with the gain fully cranked you just don't get much distortion when it's split, compared to when it's not.

So now obviously I'm gassing for a single coil tele too and kind of tempted to pickup up a Squier Classic Vibe tele but before I go that far, is there anything I can do to improve this situation? I did read that the pots used in these are not the ideal resistance for single coil sounds but I presume if you changed those out, it'd affect the humbucker sounds too, so ideally I'd rather stay away from the modding route too. Would a boost pedal do the job? And if so, any recommendations?

just get the single coil tele. the pots that come in Classic Vibe teles test at 250k or a little below. they are the right type for single coils. Maybe look for a used Player or MIM standard tele, there should be at least 900 million billion zillion of them floating around

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Split hums will never sound "right" - if you're lucky they'll sound different or interesting enough to justify it but it's definitely not the same as replicating a guitar with single coil pickups. A tele, of all guitars, it would definitely never sound right. Teles have two pickups that are really different enough than what you'd see in almost any other guitar that you could really never replicate it without just doing it again. The bridge pickup is really impacted by that huge rear end bridge plate and then having a big metal plate on the bottom, and then the neck pickup is this weird tiny coil inside a big metal tube.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

holy poo poo, a beautiful.......squier??!
https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/40th-anniversary-stratocaster-gold-edition/0379410547.html

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Quick little clip. Was thinking of test-driving out the new Fralins in my Strat so I sat down and went online and saw there was a new VH backing track out there, decided to check it out because Eddie played this track on a Strat 12. Really!
So I decided to see if I could make a 12-string sim. Little pitch block later had this and it's not usable for live really, but it's kinda close. Fun, anway. Put it up to share with some friends so here you go, goons. I'm gonna go jam on this for an hour or so.

https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/cabooo-001

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 8, 2022

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

That is all we wanted for you. (I wanna play it, it looks like I would hate it but you never know! I thought I hated Les Pauls, too, until I got one.)

Same! I always thought of myself as a strat guy until I impulse bought an Epiphone LP Modern Figured about 3 weeks ago and gently caress me if it isn't the perfect guitar for me in every way, tone and ergonomics are just on point.

I think my LP hate came from trying one at a store when I was 14 or 15 and the setup was atrocious, and I carried that baseless grudge for 16 years.

In the past month I've also built a partscaster and filled out my pedalboard, I've spent a lot. Effects chain is Cry Baby> Tuner> boss ns2> NUX Ace of Tone (dual OD)>Marshall Guv'nor (original 80s wedge shape version)> NUX Time Core delay> Fender Dual Marine Layer reverb, all into a vox ac15s normal channel, but with the circuit jumping trick to utilise the top boost circuit and EQ. It's a little unconventional but it loving RIPS for the 200-250bpm punk/hardcore stuff I'm playing through it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Get your <$500 MIM's while you can folks, those days are numbered

even the 90s MIK gear is starting to creep up to the $3-400 range

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Disco Pope posted:

I passed in the end. (Very brief, but relevant E/N) I quit drinking recently, and any money that would have been spent in a bar or on a bottle of wine is going into a guitar fund, so the promise of a G&L, Reverend or maybe even an SG is keeping me from craving a cheeky pint and it feels a bit early to break into that fund for an impulse buy.

Quitting drinking is like getting a second (or in my case second, third, and fourth) job. Suddenly you have money! Congrats, and as someone who is now 15 years sober, it's the best thing I ever did. PMs are open if you (or anyone else) ever need help / advise on that journey.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lumpy posted:

Quitting drinking is like getting a second (or in my case second, third, and fourth) job. Suddenly you have money! Congrats, and as someone who is now 15 years sober, it's the best thing I ever did. PMs are open if you (or anyone else) ever need help / advise on that journey.

+1

Not to mention all the time you suddenly have available that's not wasted on feeling like poo poo or worrying about how many beers are left in the fridge...

BTW, that Dark Star showed up. It really does a lot of poo poo and the controls are very sensitive so there are lots of options for neat sounds but requires an investment in time to figure out what sounds good. Found some recommended settings online that help get things started though. It's a weird and wonderful pedal. Gotta figure out a good dirt pedal to put before it. The Metal Zone did not play well...

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 8, 2022

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I have too many strats
I have too many strats
I have too many strats
I have too many strats
I have too many strats
I have too many strats
I have too many strats

But man that is nice.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

how do i make it so my strings don't have so much tension in them? without tuning down, obviously.

my action isn't too terribly high, but i have to do a good amount to get the strings down. trying to get it so i can fret stuff with a pretty light touch in jazz band -- bluesette and take five are hell

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Use lighter strings would be the only way to do that, because physics - at a given gauge & length the tension being exactly what it is is what makes the note be exactly what it is. Reducing the tension without lowering string gauge would reduce the pitch. But you can get less poundage for the same note with lighter strings.

Edit: Suggestion to try a shorter scale guitar is good too, you can reduce the tension at the same gauge by reducing the length also!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 8, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
sounds like a finger placement problem? it shouldn’t take much effort to fret a note as long as you’re right up against the fret

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Get a 335 and enjoy shorter scale length and less string tension.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd go with a lighter gauge first because it's a lot cheaper than buying a new Gibson and because lighter gauge strings are cool.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O hey thinking about doing something irresponsible with money, would you folks please drop links to your favorite Chinese builders?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i use 9-42s so maybe my action actually is just a mile high

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

i use 9-42s so maybe my action actually is just a mile high

Do you have a way to measure it? A ruler with 64th or mm (or half mm) increments?

For reference, my telecasters (with a capo on 1 measured at the 12th fret) are just over 4/64 on the bass and just under 4/64 on the treb side.

e: for my classical pals, after playing "Die Rose im Garten" in front of people this weekend, I'm inspired to keep exploring 20th c. stuff. This is next up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQOapCV9T4

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 8, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Huxley posted:

Do you have a way to measure it? A ruler with 64th or mm (or half mm) increments?

i have some feeler gauges but i've been lazy about doing setup stuff. let me give it a look

Lumpy posted:

Get a 335 and enjoy shorter scale length and less string tension.

yep, if i could go back in time i would actually not get a strat for this reason. i thought shorter scale length would be harder for me, but honestly, any time since then that i've played a shorter scale guitar, there hasn't been an accuracy issue for me, and i have enjoyed the fact that they're lighter, i don't have to stretch my hands as much, and so on. i'd go back and get a duo-sonic HS, and change out the humbucker for a JB (because i very much love this pickup to death). but honestly, it's not worth getting weird over. i've got other stuff to worry about money-wise, and i'm majoring in piano anyway. plus, if i were to get a new guitar tomorrow, i'd get a good acoustic and study more of that style, rather than just doing more cronchy power chord stuff.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Huxley posted:

e: for my classical pals, after playing "Die Rose im Garten" in front of people this weekend, I'm inspired to keep exploring 20th c. stuff. This is next up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQOapCV9T4

Dyens is very good

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

i have some feeler gauges but i've been lazy about doing setup stuff. let me give it a look

For reference, my bass action is roughly the height of my 0.020, 21 and 22 gauges stacked up.

e: Meaning the action on the bass side of a telecaster at the 12th fret with a capo on 1. Not the action on a bass guitar.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 8, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

Dyens is very good

That one really caught my ear, and I'm going to have to investigate him. There's something about a 3/4 that isn't waltzing that's swimmy in a really pleasant way.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

yep, if i could go back in time i would actually not get a strat for this reason. i thought shorter scale length would be harder for me, but honestly, any time since then that i've played a shorter scale guitar, there hasn't been an accuracy issue for me, and i have enjoyed the fact that they're lighter, i don't have to stretch my hands as much, and so on. i'd go back and get a duo-sonic HS, and change out the humbucker for a JB (because i very much love this pickup to death). but honestly, it's not worth getting weird over. i've got other stuff to worry about money-wise, and i'm majoring in piano anyway. plus, if i were to get a new guitar tomorrow, i'd get a good acoustic and study more of that style, rather than just doing more cronchy power chord stuff.
lg you can play my FF338 if you've not held a 335 before. They are kinda cumbersome, I don't see you getting along with a body that size. Could be wrong, but just sayin'.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like if LG was gonna go for a shorter scale it'd be a Jaguar or something.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I love how sub-Fender scale guitars feel to play. I have a mix of scale lengths, few 24.625"-24.75", some 25.5", one 27" and I think my favorite to play are the shortest scale ones for the feel of 'em. Though I learned on a 25.5", I've never personally felt like there's much of an adjustment necessary for different scale lengths once your fingers and brain get together on it. I vaguely remember when I got my first Gibson-scale guitar having a bit of an adjustment period when swapping between my Fender scale ones and it, but I was still just learning the instrument back then, too, there was a mental adjustment at all times :)

Fanned frets can be a bit weird but they aren't too bad either, more of a mental adjustment at first but then it clicks. I don't prefer them, though, don't have one and not planning to get one - my 27" is an 8 string, if it ain't bothering me on that I don't think it ever will.

Never tried one of those guitars where the frets look like somebody drew them in as squiggle lines, true temperment I guess, those look weird to me and I've never felt the typical way is all that bad. You can hear some beating sometimes but, 1., as you play the instrument you might get better at applying pressure to the strings of your particular guitar or guitars to make it not stand out, and 2., who thinks that really ruins anything? Some of the greats of guitar have beating on some chords when they play, on famous albums, did that make them suck? I never thought so.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I feel like if LG was gonna go for a shorter scale it'd be a Jaguar or something.

Jaguars are 24" right? Ever try one of those LG?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 8, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

how do i make it so my strings don't have so much tension in them? without tuning down, obviously.

my action isn't too terribly high, but i have to do a good amount to get the strings down. trying to get it so i can fret stuff with a pretty light touch in jazz band -- bluesette and take five are hell

More neck relief and lower action will make a very small difference in reducing tension since it effectively shortens the overall length a little bit, but it's pretty minor to be honest. If your relief is already set well I wouldn't mess with it, but I've noticed a lot of my guitars play better with a bit more relief than a lot of people would usually have on a shreddy guitar, you just need to lower the action a little to compensate. If you start getting buzzy around fret 12-15ish you might have gone overboard with the relief though.

Also I'm buying another multi-scale guitar tomorrow. Multiscale is cool and looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
LG, post a video of your fretting hand as you're playing