Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone else having download issues with Pocketcasts? Suddenly I can't get the app to download from any podcast, and search for podcasts is failing too. Internet on the phone otherwise works fine.

Updated to Android 13 on my Pixel 4a earlier in the week, if that's relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tree Reformat posted:

Is anyone else having download issues with Pocketcasts? Suddenly I can't get the app to download from any podcast, and search for podcasts is failing too. Internet on the phone otherwise works fine.

Nope, it's working fine for me.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tree Reformat posted:

Is it set to download over wifi and you're not on wifi? Don't use pocketcasts but the superior app - Podcast Addict - fails like this when the flag is set to only use wifi.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

Is it set to download over wifi and you're not on wifi? Don't use pocketcasts but the superior app - Podcast Addict - fails like this when the flag is set to only use wifi.

Nope, I was on my wifi the whole time. And now it randomly works again. Weird.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Got the OTA Android 13 update a little bit ago, and so far the only real difference I've noticed is that the shortcut to settings is more awkwardly placed in the notification panel and they added a shortcut to show you what applications are running.

Edit: Wrong thread, but I guess it's not completely off-topic here.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 21, 2022

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Tree Reformat posted:

Nope, I was on my wifi the whole time. And now it randomly works again. Weird.

I get the occasional weirdness with Pocketcasts not wanting to download then just magically working. Not sure why it does it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think it's sometimes just delays in random servers updating. There's dozens/hundreds of sites that put out podcasts and dozens of companies that get them and play them for their users. A screw up happens from time to time.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Inceltown posted:

Don't use pocketcasts but the superior app - Podcast Addict

Superior how?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Toast Museum posted:

Superior how?

I use it

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For remotely janitoring phones, is there a difference between anydesk and teamviewer in terms of ease of us and/or capability?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Asked about this in the main Android thread but maybe it's more appropriate here- I'm a grandpa who still likes to manually upload music files to his phone in order to listen to them. I've been getting by with YouTube Music as my music player of choice (again, grandpa) but as of the Android 13 update I no longer see an option in the app to play device files. Is that just gone or did they move that option somewhere else?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

C-Euro posted:

Asked about this in the main Android thread but maybe it's more appropriate here- I'm a grandpa who still likes to manually upload music files to his phone in order to listen to them. I've been getting by with YouTube Music as my music player of choice (again, grandpa) but as of the Android 13 update I no longer see an option in the app to play device files. Is that just gone or did they move that option somewhere else?

Library tab, downloads

Theyll be in there as long as you have the 'show device files' option ticked in the options

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I'm looking for a real time APY calculator. Basically I have money in a bunch of accounts that earn a certain yield. I want the app to calculate the amount of interest i'm earning in real time. I have found a bunch of interest calculators, but none of them are real time. I want to see my balance increase by the second. Has anyone ever seen such an app? It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to program...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So how do they hypothetically collect any data from this sort of test, like do they survey some users or what cause that's not the kind of app where you would show more engagement if you liked the interface, unless I'm missing some subtle thing they could objectively measure?

They don't care if you like it, they care that and how you use it. That kind of testing is to track, eg, which users use which features how often, or how deep a feature can be buried in a menu before heretofore regular users stop using it.

Then there's the infamous Facebook testing where they deliberately degraded the experience to see how bad things can get before people give up, which tells them how bad connectivity issues need to be before it's a crisis rather than a "deal with it in the morning" kind of thing.

This test might be--and I'm totally pulling this out of my rear end--to see how often people use all the entries they've added to authenticator.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Is there any app that pulls weather directly from the national weather service? They don't have an app, and Shadow Weather has just been dogshit, lately. It's saying I should be mostly sunny conditions, when NWS (and looking out the window) shows me that I'm in 80% clouds.

NWS is really the only service worth a drat, that I've found, but having to use their jank-rear end web page for hour by hour stuff really sucks

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Today Weather seems to have it as an option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.lockdown.weather

I'd love to have something that works with a specific Weather Underground station. I live close to the lake and the temp can be off by 10° from what the "city" temp is on a lot of sites.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 29, 2022

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Eh, not terrible. Pretty decent interface, I just wish they had an option to do charts or a widget for cloud cover. Three stars. But thank you for the recommendation, all the same!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

null_pointer posted:

Shadow Weather has just been dogshit, lately.

It was pouring yesterday afternoon and Shadow Weather had zero indication of it, showing sunny weather throughout. Was kind of surprised it showed nothing.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
even the current conditions have become unpredictable thanks to climate change

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have an issue with my password manager, Bitwarden, on a P6P running Android 13. It often happens I'll open a login screen and the keyboard pops up without the button to enter login details through Bitwarden. I then have to switch to the app drawer and open Bitwarden manually, once it's among the active apps I can (usually) switch back to the login screen and enter my login details through Bitwarden. I've already turned off battery optimization for it, but still I'm often required to manually start the app before I'm able to use it. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a way to keep this from happening?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Incessant Excess posted:

I have an issue with my password manager, Bitwarden, on a P6P running Android 13. It often happens I'll open a login screen and the keyboard pops up without the button to enter login details through Bitwarden. I then have to switch to the app drawer and open Bitwarden manually, once it's among the active apps I can (usually) switch back to the login screen and enter my login details through Bitwarden. I've already turned off battery optimization for it, but still I'm often required to manually start the app before I'm able to use it. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a way to keep this from happening?

I'm on older Android so I'm not sure how it may have changed but have you tried allowing Bitwarden to be the auto-fill service on the device?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Auto fill is enabled, yes.

This isn't a new issue either, happened on Android 12 as well.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 31, 2022

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Incessant Excess posted:

Auto fill is enabled, yes.

This isn't a new issue either, happened on Android 12 as well.

I think it's just one of those things with password managers. I use 1Password. It happened on my previous phone on Android 9 and on this Redmi using Miui.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I figured that's probably the case but wanted to ask anyways as it's really quite annoying and never happens on my iPad.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Incessant Excess posted:

Check to see if Bitwarden has permission to write over other apps. That's how the button becomes visible. Bitwarden's been great for me for a really long time.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Sad Panda posted:

I think it's just one of those things with password managers. I use 1Password. It happened on my previous phone on Android 9 and on this Redmi using Miui.

Agreed.
I use bitwarden, and usually i can hit user name, password, user name to get the auto fill thing to pop up. But now and again I have to open it manually as well.
Did it with LastPass as well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have some apps that don't populate the button for Bitwarden. Might just be the class of field. I also figured it might be a SwiftKey thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For when all else fails, KeePass for Android has a keyboard you can switch to which will type a login for you. Don't other password managers have that?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can someone suggest some sort of task scheduling app that will allow me to set up a trigger so that when I start my car and connect to android auto (or make that particular bluetooth connection) it will set my media volume to max, and revert to ~50% when I disconnect?

e: found something called Macrodroid which let me set up what I wanted easily enough. Now to test.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 8, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

codo27 posted:

Can someone suggest some sort of task scheduling app that will allow me to set up a trigger so that when I start my car and connect to android auto (or make that particular bluetooth connection) it will set my media volume to max, and revert to ~50% when I disconnect?

e: found something called Macrodroid which let me set up what I wanted easily enough. Now to test.

Easily doable with Tasker, if Macrodroid doesn't work for you

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Yeah, Macrodroid's been the solution I've been using for all sorts of weird things for several years now.

That said, I could have sworn Android remembers the volume level for each Bluetooth connection? Or is that just a Stock Android/Pixel/Particular Version thing?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I used to use ringdroid to cut up stuff to make custom ringtones, but apparently it's been rendered garbage by updates and monetization over the years according to a bunch of recent reviews(I'd been using a version from like 8 years ago). is there a good app that's similar and easy to use?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's an app called ringdroid on the f-droid app store that hasn't updated in five years, maybe that's the one you had?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's an app called ringdroid on the f-droid app store that hasn't updated in five years, maybe that's the one you had?
probably, it's the same logo. but I downloaded the ringdroid app when I got my note 3 in 2013 or so. is there an app that does basically the same thing that's updated?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have an Asus touchscreen Chromebook that I would like to use like a whiteboard with an app that I can cast to a Chromecast. What's my best bet?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

I have an Asus touchscreen Chromebook that I would like to use like a whiteboard with an app that I can cast to a Chromecast. What's my best bet?

Probably just pointing the chromecast to one of the many online whiteboards that you can make private and pointing the chromebook at the same website.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If Android apps do well on it you'll probably find better under that category. If it doesn't have internal app casting then just casting the whole screen should do you fine, right? Microsoft Whiteboard's Android app, maybe? (E: oh there's a webapp for it too, that should do you fine)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 1, 2022

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I use Signal for messaging. Sometimes a message will not generate a notification right away, only to be pushed through at the same time a text is received, causing the two notification to "arrive" at the same time (despite the Signal messages actually being sent 10+ minutes prior). I'm on wifi, and the connection is strong (although my actual cell signal here is not great).

Is this an Android system behavior that I can modify? It almost feels like it's holding messages to notify in batches or something. Or at least it's an awfully large coincidence that both pop up together when one is in fact old. As far as I know there is no battery saver thing going on, but maybe I missed a setting somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using itunes for my ancient ipods for a long, long time. now that I've switched from those to using my phone for media playing at work(due to the ipods all stopped working), I need a new media player for my samsung galaxy S22 ultra, one that I can import my itunes library + playlists to and sync up with my phone from my PC, if that's possible. Do any of the ones in the OP do that, or is there one that does? I'd rather not have to rebuild all my playlists from scratch if I can help it.