Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you watch any video of Magnus, you can see that he has only two states. One is him visibly straining to keep his assholeness under control to appear professional. And if he loses a game he goes to uncontrolled rear end in a top hat mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Redmark posted:

I have another question out of the consequences of all of this: apparently multiple (maybe even "many") titled players have had accounts banned for cheating, and though it's kept hush hush evidently it's not a secret among GMs. Isn't that a ticking time bomb, then? Because if past online cheating is accepted as suitable evidence, and these players are allowed to continue playing OTB with no repercussions as long as they admit to it and apologize, what's stopping this from happening again when one of them over-performs?

Petrosian still plays over the board and I don't even think he apologized. I think one of the things with Niemann is that his improvement from ~2400 to ~2700 is considered suspicious. With other players, there's enough of a track record that their regular play looks sufficiently normal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All I ask is that I never learn that Wesley is a jerk :pray:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hand Knit posted:

Petrosian still plays over the board and I don't even think he apologized. I think one of the things with Niemann is that his improvement from ~2400 to ~2700 is considered suspicious. With other players, there's enough of a track record that their regular play looks sufficiently normal.

I seriously doubt Hans would risk cheating in places like Cuba and UAE, all places where he's done pretty well recently in tournaments.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

imagine it turned out vishy was actually a real rear end in a top hat

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gret posted:

I seriously doubt Hans would risk cheating in places like Cuba and UAE, all places where he's done pretty well recently in tournaments.

What? He's not going to get arrested

Also trying to apply logic to the mind of a cheater doesn't work, it's a pathology

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

From the aftermath of the Anish Giri twitter "hack" drama, it sort of came out that Carlsen is an alcoholic with an addiction to strip clubs, and that this is considered an open secret. He really is the Mozart of chess.

Well, from what I've heard and the way my sister talks of him, he was firmly in the territory of being a creep.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Randarkman posted:

Well, from what I've heard and the way my sister talks of him, he was firmly in the territory of being a creep.

I have no reason to be surprised.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Toxic Mental posted:

I dunno, Hans seems like a genuine to me v:shobon:v

After living through the entirety of the steroids era of sports, testimonials and emotional pleas like these should just be disregarded. Over, and over, and over, and over again, same thing, same words, same "trust me!" pleas, same guilty result.

Just wait for actual evidence/results.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Redmark posted:

I have another question out of the consequences of all of this: apparently multiple (maybe even "many") titled players have had accounts banned for cheating, and though it's kept hush hush evidently it's not a secret among GMs. Isn't that a ticking time bomb, then? Because if past online cheating is accepted as suitable evidence, and these players are allowed to continue playing OTB with no repercussions as long as they admit to it and apologize, what's stopping this from happening again when one of them over-performs?

that’s up to all of us. only spectators like us can prevent it

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Salt Fish posted:

:yikes:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i like ben's theory of not wanting to go to a cardinals game the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxJbJGGKgQ

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Regardless what Hans might have done, Magnus definitely hosed up by withdrawing from this tournament for no good reason! Magnus has a recent history of sabotaging top-level chess by withdrawing from this tournament and by refusing to defend his title -- if anyone deserves a ban, it's him.

And if we want to talk about cheating online, I happened to be watching Magnus's chess stream during an online bullet tournament a few months ago, and he flagrantly cheated in his game against Naroditsky. He ended up winning the tournament. His cheating was clearly documented and there was prize money involved -- so where's the ban?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrOv8hxN6g
https://lichess.org/tournament/dec21lta
https://lichess.org/w1j9cz4v/white#20

Anyway, if Hans cheats and continues to cheat OTB, he'll eventually get caught, and he'll get what's coming to him (assuming he doesn't get banned from top-level chess after this baseless accusation). It's just too bad that Magnus won't be held accountable for his various disgraces.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does magnus ever stream without 3 dipshits yelling behind him

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Yeah he looks like a posting pal to me.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Magnus doesn't have any obligation to defend his title if he doesn't want to. And given how badly he trounced Nepomniachtchi last time and how much actual work it is to play a world championship match, I don't necessarily blame him. It's hardly "sabotaging" - vacating a title is pretty accepted in other sports like boxing.

As far as his cheating goes.. I'm going to say a little kibitzing an idea he likely would have seen soon enough anyway, for an online tournament with a tiny prize pool that happens every other week, while on stream, that he won handily, is a little bit different from an in-person OTB annual tournament with a 350k prize pool. Carlsen also regularly won the TA and has given half or something of his winnings back to lichess. It's really not similar at all.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 8, 2022

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I agree with Garry: https://twitter.com/kasparov63/status/1567879720401883136?s=21&t=I21ZIrJqSy0lJt4HOGPGCg

How much of a ratings hit did he eat for the loss? Maybe he raged because Hans being sub-2700 at the time would have eaten a good chunk of his ~ 2860 and really messed with his stated goal of reaching 2900, given how hard it is to grab a few points when you're that high.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

former glory posted:

How much of a ratings hit did he eat for the loss? Maybe he raged because Hans being sub-2700 at the time would have eaten a good chunk of his ~ 2860 and really messed with his stated goal of reaching 2900, given how hard it is to grab a few points when you're that high.

According to 2700chess.com he dropped 7.3 from that game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

former glory posted:

I agree with Garry: https://twitter.com/kasparov63/status/1567879720401883136?s=21&t=I21ZIrJqSy0lJt4HOGPGCg

7 points.

After all the speculation that Niemann had computer assistance because he made a machine-like move instead of an obvious queen exchange in one game, it's funny that it wasn't even the most important unmoving queen this week

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hand Knit posted:

According to 2700chess.com he dropped 7.3 from that game.

Yikes. Compare that to picking up 9(?) for the entire World Championship.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Not as much as I expected, but I guess it about neutralizes two (difficult?!) Nepo wins. Cool site.

I was listening to a podcast interview he did just before the tourney earlier this week and he elaborated on his decision to drop the title defense and focus on 2900. He states it like going for 2900 is an interesting, difficult, and fun goal for him vs. the laborious and daunting WCC preparation process. Mainly because the focus shifts from marquee wins to playing at his absolute best: to always show up for any game in his best form because any loss puts him off his goal tremendously. His playing field just makes it so hard to mine any ELO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZO28NtkwwQ

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
he should just announce that he's not playing anymore until more of these dorks pass 2800 if that's his goal. it can be obviously farcical quadruple round robins like ding did, whatever

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Chess.com made a statement

https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1568010971616100352/photo/1

"including information that contradicts his statements regarding the amount and seriousness of his cheating on Chess.com"

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Magnus has a recent history of sabotaging top-level chess by withdrawing from this tournament and by refusing to defend his title -- if anyone deserves a ban, it's him.

By historical World Chess Championship standards you're a weirdo if you're not a prima donna with Dr. Evil style demands about how to run chess championships.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah he hasn't even given a speech about "the Jewish problem" or vowed to destroy FIDE and made his own chess federation or brought his opponent's former therapist and ex-wife to sit in the front row of a tournament.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
God how great is chess by the way? It's really the best all around game to follow.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Magnus doesn't have any obligation to defend his title if he doesn't want to. And given how badly he trounced Nepomniachtchi last time and how much actual work it is to play a world championship match, I don't necessarily blame him. It's hardly "sabotaging" - vacating a title is pretty accepted in other sports like boxing.

As far as his cheating goes.. I'm going to say a little kibitzing an idea he likely would have seen soon enough anyway, for an online tournament with a tiny prize pool that happens every other week, while on stream, that he won handily, is a little bit different from an in-person OTB annual tournament with a 350k prize pool. Carlsen also regularly won the TA and has given half or something of his winnings back to lichess. It's really not similar at all.

He hosed up this tournament by withdrawing for no good reason -- that's the sabotage I'm talking about. Very poor sportsmanship, and not really defensible even if Hans did cheat. It sucks for everyone else in the tournament, so I lose a lot of respect for him. That's why I think focusing on Hans misses the point -- it's not Hans's fault that Magnus withdrew, no matter what he says.

I agree with you that he has no obligation to defend the title. You're probably right that it shouldn't be called sabotage, but it certainly devalues the title, and I don't like it.

And the fact that his cheating didn't change the outcome of that two-bit online tournament is irrelevant. He should still be held accountable for his conduct, not given special treatment because his name helps rake in the chess money. In that moment, he should have turned around to his buddy, said "nice going dipshit," and clicked the resign button. That would have been the honorable thing to do, but instead, he decided in the moment that the rules don't apply to him, and everyone went along with it. I think that sucks!

Anyway, thanks for reading my tedious chess screed on why Magnus deserves less respect than he gets!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Captain von Trapp posted:

By historical World Chess Championship standards you're a weirdo if you're not a prima donna with Dr. Evil style demands about how to run chess championships.

lol good point though

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah he hasn't even given a speech about "the Jewish problem" or vowed to destroy FIDE and made his own chess federation or brought his opponent's former therapist and ex-wife to sit in the front row of a tournament.

don't give up on him yet!

Sub Rosa posted:

Chess.com made a statement

https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1568010971616100352/photo/1

"including information that contradicts his statements regarding the amount and seriousness of his cheating on Chess.com"

It's weird that they chose this moment to ban him, if they had all this evidence. I don't doubt it though, he did admit to cheating online, and I totally believe he would lie about the extent of it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Has a player ever had FIDE sanctions for cheating in non-FIDE events?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

neaden posted:

i dont know, sorry

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

neaden posted:

What do you mean by "FIDE events?" This can be narrow (there's only a handful of "FIDE events" per year, mostly world championship stuff) or broad (any tournament recognized by FIDE). If it's in the narrow sense then yes. If it's the broad sense then I have no idea.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

lol good point though

don't give up on him yet!

It's weird that they chose this moment to ban him, if they had all this evidence. I don't doubt it though, he did admit to cheating online, and I totally believe he would lie about the extent of it.

could it mean Chess.com knew of far more instances of him cheating than have already been widely found out? I could easily imagine them not disclosing that

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

If I can be an anecdote:

10 years ago I was banned for life from chess.com for cheating. No evidence provided, no chance of appeal. I was a paid member too, for quite some time.

Thing is - I wasn't cheating. And I don't know how it is possible that someone looked at my low rating, my months-long losing streak, my poor win/loss record and said "yes, we've finally got the bastard!"

I would certainly take any public statement from Danny Rensch on behalf of his employer with a grain of salt. He needs a job, and their profit depends on the perception that they know how to deal with cheaters.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
If Hans had been cheating so much, chess.com should have permabanned him a long time ago. What a skeevy rear end NFT site.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Apsyrtes posted:

If I can be an anecdote:

10 years ago I was banned for life from chess.com for cheating. No evidence provided, no chance of appeal. I was a paid member too, for quite some time.

Thing is - I wasn't cheating. And I don't know how it is possible that someone looked at my low rating, my months-long losing streak, my poor win/loss record and said "yes, we've finally got the bastard!"

I would certainly take any public statement from Danny Rensch on behalf of his employer with a grain of salt. He needs a job, and their profit depends on the perception that they know how to deal with cheaters.

Did you often play chess while distracted by other browser windows? Their cheat detection takes long pauses before obvious moves as a sign of cheating. Could have been any number of things, but that's a funny one.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Regardless what Hans might have done, Magnus definitely hosed up by withdrawing from this tournament for no good reason! Magnus has a recent history of sabotaging top-level chess by withdrawing from this tournament and by refusing to defend his title -- if anyone deserves a ban, it's him.

Lol

Lmao

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Apsyrtes posted:

If I can be an anecdote:

That sucks! I bet that other poster is right, you had another tab open during a game, and if you look away from the board at any time, then your money is no good here.

chess dot com is a 2nd rate chess site. They have to pay GM Finegold NOT to play on lichess. Really says it all :roflolmao:

You're right, I shouldnt necessarily take what they post on twitter at face value

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I just played a game where my opponent was a disaster from the start. He resigned after move 13. Chess.com (which now I'm thinking to switch to Lichess because the way they've handled this Hans thing has been extremely poor and really gross) says that after I just made my move (Nf3), it's Mate in 4. Can you guys help me find the line that causes that? I would have just taken the rook after he moves his king to h1, but I assume that isn't it. edit: For clarity, it's white to move.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 10, 2022

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

stratdax posted:

I just played a game where my opponent was a disaster from the start. He resigned after move 13. Chess.com (which now I'm thinking to switch to Lichess because the way they've handled this Hans thing has been extremely poor and really gross) says that after I just made my move (Nf3), it's Mate in 4. Can you guys help me find the line that causes that? I would have just taken the rook after he moves his king to h1, but I assume that isn't it. edit: For clarity, it's white to move.

Might be missing something but:

White king to h1
Black knight from f6 to e4
(Doesn’t really matter what white does)
Black knight from e4 to f2 checkmate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Start with a knight move to threaten Nxf2#, I assume white plays a waster check with the queen then defends f2, then black plays Qh4 and Bf1#