Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Also in the past (pre-split) when we would see annie's stoicism it typically felt purposeful. it felt like it was going somewhere, showing her looking up to Jones, and admit she sees emotional repression on the scale of Ysengrin as something almost admirable. The imagery of her holding a mask in her own mind underscored that she is deliberately cultivating that affect and detachment.

Now it just feels like... nothing? It's not like it feels like the author showing that this is a character who doesn't react and strives to be very in control, it feels like the author just... not writing any reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, I thought the worst of her inner conflict was supposed to have been resolved when the Annies fused, what with the whole "Dad is cool, no hate" spiel, since a lot of her rage was being fueled by abandonment? So she's either masking super well in this stage of the plot and hoodwinking the audience in the process, or else we are supposed to read things straight as they are presented to us, and assume that she has left that part of her character development behind by now.

It's like, how many layers of subtlety are we supposed to be reading into the comic now? The comic has been almost painfully straightforward in how it presents things as of late.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 8, 2022

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I still maintain it, more with every strip, I cannot tell you a single thing about post-fusion Annie. What are her actual goals? Her opinions? What does she want to achieve? What is her investment in this? What are the stakes? This feels like fan-fiction of itself.

Annie and Annie was one of my favorite things the comic produced, I loved seeing the interaction between her and herself. Then they were just merged and basically at that moment her identity became closed to the readers?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The frustrating thing (well, one of them) is that if the fusing of the split Annie's was supposed to resolve the character arc of her struggle between repression and powerful emotions, it... Didn't? It didn't build on it thematically, it had nothing real to say about who she is now that she's resolved that, it's didn't show her changing or growing as a person and in general felt entirely disconnected from her previous emotional struggles and character work. It had more to say about Tony than about her!

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Pretty much agree with the last few posts (and more). I honestly don't know who Annie is anymore. I don't know how to read her expression in the panel where Jerrick grabs her hand. Is she Bella Swan now? Everything weirdly revolves around her, yet she exhibits no real agency in the story.

Tbh, I found it baffling that Zimmy didn't "fix" the Annies the first time she saw them, and remarked about deciding which one goes. Then later, without any discussion with Annie, fused them together and everything is great now. Am I missing something there? What changed?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
The last dozen pages or so have really helped me articulate why it feels like the comic has been slipping for a while. The two Annies thread was where I started feeling it because it went on for way, way, way too long, and everything since then feels rushed and to the point that I don't understand what annie even wants anymore.

Also that comment about the recurring theme of Annie and Kat shooting confused looks at each other while some else dumps exposition on them was spot on and I can never unsee it now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I miss the two annies, it was not resolved well.

I dunno, I'm kinda here for derp-loup right now, just seeing where the ride takes us. It's not good, but why not.

I thought the fact there were two speech... bubble tails? in the last comic was interesting. I think it cements that the fool was supposed to be Jerrek? Or is it the two entities of Loup speaking? Who knows!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
argh indeed

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is that nose a clue

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Is that nose a clue

Time for another #nosegate

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So, we're definitely going on the redemption arc becoming a hero and a pivot to being all about the court, right? I have zero idea how we can take Loup as a threatening villain entity at this point as we watch him get clowned on by his teenage crush persona who's a stuttering idiot.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IDK how it's going to pivot to being all about the court when the court's about to Heavens Gate itself and none of the main cast give a poo poo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

tom can never ever be accused of writing to what the characters want to do as opposed to what the script wants to do

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Jerrick: "Haha this poo poo makes no sense and there's no reason to do so and you barely know me, but I said it, so let's do it? Okay byyyyyeeeeee!" *runs off*

*Annie shocked* "Wow this does not make any sense, but, probably yes!"

Patware posted:

tom can never ever be accused of writing to what the characters want to do as opposed to what the script wants to do

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sorry, I hate being negative, but there seemed like so much hope just so recently for some exciting new intriguing things! It might still pan through and come to a stunning climax. How it is getting there though is a different story. It's still compelling and interesting enough to keep my attention and a quite a few others, obviously, but I feel like it's a "I'm not mad at you, just disappointed" situation.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Coyote must be alive because there's no loving way he'd miss Loup's psyche getting punked by teenager hormones

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Another day of sloppy writing. In his first panel Loup is shown to be blushing and interested in doing things with Annie, but then in the last panel he appears to be upset. Why would he suddenly be upset after Tom clearly showed him as being happy? Yet another example of Tom's lack of consistency.

We also have another day of Annie staring blankly while others are talking. Tom just decided not to let her get a word in so Loup and continue with the boring exposition. How are we supposed to know how Annie is feeling about this? What are her thoughts and reactions to Loup's idea? If we still had two Annies it would have shown them discussing how they felt.

And then again we're sitting here with talking heads moving the plot along. Wouldn't be better to show them going to the shore instead of just talking about it? Show don't tell Tom. This is writing 101.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
would you like to continue trying to be clever or would you prefer to cut your losses here

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Coyote must be alive because there's no loving way he'd miss Loup's psyche getting punked by teenager hormones

When Coyote said he wanted to die, we never could have guessed he meant of cringe.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

When Coyote said he wanted to die, we never could have guessed he meant of cringe.

lmao

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Oxxidation posted:

a pirate who doesn’t do anything, you say

I want you to know that I appreciated this reference.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Everyone else has kind of covered the general disgust and frustration with these developments so I'll go in a different direction and throw out a theory - in addition to the lovely forced romantic tension, it feels like this is the author needing Annie and Loup to be in a certain place at a certain time to witness something to progress the plot.

So what is that thing? What will they see when they go witness the Star Ocean? My theory is that Kat will be there about to leave forever even if that would be hideously out of character for her, because that's been foreshadowed repeatedly despite every reason it wouldn't make sense.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Why does Jerrick want to see the star ocean anyways? It's not like he can just ride it to check out the new world like he wants.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

CodfishCartographer posted:

Why does Jerrick want to see the star ocean anyways? It's not like he can just ride it to check out the new world like he wants.
That's part of why I say it feels like a contrived excuse to get them in front of it because the plot needs them to be there. It's being portrayed almost like a romantic thing, like "come look at the star ocean with me!!! :blush:" but there's no reason he'd want to see it so it doesn't really make sense.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It doesn't read like Jerrek planned this, it's more like he blurted out the first thing that came to his mind to keep himself from confessing he likes Annie, and when he saw she was believing the lie he kept at it because he was too embarrassed to back track?

Meanwhile Annie was confused but taking him at his word that he wants to see the weird not-magic ocean, and it's not like she can't stop him from going by his lonesome if he's determined.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still contrived, but it does follow a logic. A cartoon-ish sort of logic, but still.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

We did at least get one line a few pages ago where Loup declares to himself that he wants to see the star ocean: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2670
Not the strongest justification, but at least he's not bringing it up with Annie with absolutely no reason.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Justified or not, I'm just glad a major character is finally deciding to do something that might actually lead to somewhere.

Would have been nice if it was Annie or Kat but whatever at this point.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Uh, guys? Have you looked back at the first chapter lately?

Annie's been entirely replaced by Jerrek.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Last Visible Dog posted:

We did at least get one line a few pages ago where Loup declares to himself that he wants to see the star ocean: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2670
Not the strongest justification, but at least he's not bringing it up with Annie with absolutely no reason.

I also believe it's the star ocean that Loup can't see here:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2046

Edit: Actually I misread a bit cuz I'm tired lol so I'm deleting some stuff.

I dislike that Loup is making his way to the star ocean via this weird romancey plot

catapede fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 10, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
When does Trogdor smite the Jerrek

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

uuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhghghhhhhhhhhhhgh

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im out for good, I think. I cant keep inflicting this comic on myself

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

laughing maniacally as each new update drops, slowly developing getter eyes

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
argh

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
argh

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I miss Tony

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I miss Tony, Ysengrin, Coyote, Mort, and Jack. I also miss Annie, Kat, and Paz. And Eglamore and the Donlans, plus Jones.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tom siddell has erased the cast.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I actually just stopped reading in the middle of this page. Like, I couldn't force myself to continue. It's just... So. Bad. I can't even describe what it is that makes it so frustrating to read very well but I saw Loup getting weird about things and just instantly closed the tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

worm girl posted:

I miss Tony, Ysengrin, Coyote, Mort, and Jack. I also miss Annie, Kat, and Paz. And Eglamore and the Donlans, plus Jones.
I miss Mort, but he had a proper arc and sendoff and all of it furthered the plot. I miss him in the good way.

The others...