Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, on the other side of the spectrum, LA is pretty aggressively building out it's subway infrastructure and it's actually becoming a really useful system for getting around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Here's the pasadena charging lot/plaza at the end of the 101.

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, on the other side of the spectrum, LA is pretty aggressively building out it's subway infrastructure and it's actually becoming a really useful system for getting around

Yes still not quick enough but LA is getting pretty serious which is good for such a car centric city. It's not going to solve everything but between that and density of builds at rail points we're doing something.

Public transportation is way more the solution to climate change than individual cars, but yaknow, LA....

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Reminder that Steve Bannon straight up admitted it on a livestream as a "joke".

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1296820737521717248

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Farewell, Queen, we salute you!

to be very clear I am not nazi saluting her I'm making fun of her racist piece of poo poo family and her nazi salute

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 8, 2022

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Farewell, Queen, we salute you!

to be very clear I am not nazi saluting her I'm making fun of her racist piece of poo poo family and her nazi salute
Which one is she?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Which one is she?

She's the one in the middle.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1567950575853252608?s=46&t=jem-H90WY0EOJGaYFr7_yA

Things seem well on this front

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Jaxyon posted:

It sits on the pole, and just takes up what would normally be a parking space. There's no parking fee while using one if it was a metered space.

There is a fee however to use these, like $1 an hour. There's a couple of hundred in LA.

Legally, LA also requires landlords to install charging in apartment parking if requested, and new builds must have at least 10% of parking be EV charging.

CA has also allowed for separate residential metering of vehicle charging so they can incentivize that.

I had not considered the logistics of this, and it looks like an absolute nightmare anywhere that gets significant snow.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I had not considered the logistics of this, and it looks like an absolute nightmare anywhere that gets significant snow.

How so?

By taking up a parking space I mean you need to park there to charge instead of parking there as normal.

The actual box is like an old payphone in size, without the booth around it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

for some reason I can only think of his ramblings as some kind of dril tweet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

for some reason I can only think of his ramblings as some kind of dril tweet

Unfortunately the papers have already reported that he was mad

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

This is democracy made manifest!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Battery swapping for EVs is probably a non-starter. Tesla built one station that could do it, just to game some more credits from California, then quickly abandoned it. It requires way more infrastructure than just throwing some chargers up somewhere. To work as a concept at all would require a change in how car ownership works, where either the entire car, or just the battery is rented. Otherwise you've got weird issues where you swap your brand new battery in for an old one, when you visit again do you get it back? Is it sent out? How much storage space do you need for how many batteries until their owners come back at some point in the future?

More chargers everywhere is the solution. Make landlords install them, make grocery stores, restaurants, and other retailers install them. Home isn't the only place people are parking, and if someone's parking option at home is street only, they're probably occasionally visiting someplace that isn't street parking.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

I hope he got to finish his succulent chinese meal.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The UK showing the US how to do a peaceful transition of power twice in a week.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
AM I BEING DETAINED

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Zotix posted:

Number of votes cast for Truss? Number of votes cast for King Charles III?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Old James posted:

Number of votes cast for Truss? Number of votes cast for King Charles III?

Prince William didn't incite a mob of gammons to storm Westminster

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zotix posted:

with the last leader dying?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Jaxyon posted:

How so?

By taking up a parking space I mean you need to park there to charge instead of parking there as normal.

The actual box is like an old payphone in size, without the booth around it.

I envision people digging through 2 feet of snow to try and find them, and plows and snowblowers chewing up the cables.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CNN is reporting that the DOJ has filed an appeal on the Special Master crap.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

I think the whole thing is dead, you basically get one news cycle to make hay and it's going to be all Queen straight into the midterms.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

slurm posted:

I think the whole thing is dead, you basically get one news cycle to make hay and it's going to be all Queen straight into the midterms.

Dead in terms of public interest maybe, but the case is still ongoing. Also it's not going to be all Queen for two months straight

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I envision people digging through 2 feet of snow to try and find them, and plows and snowblowers chewing up the cables.

It's 3 feet off the ground.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

slurm posted:

You think that the US political news media is going to stay tied up on the death of the Queen, a foreign non-political head of state who has been in declining health for some time, for two months? Really?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

slurm posted:

In Britain, it will probably remain a huge deal through the end of the year.

In America, it will be a big deal for some portion of the populace - either because they have family in the UK or because they follow all the royal drama or whatever - but it will mainly be propped up by how long the media chooses to make it a thing. And it will probably last a good week or two of memorial hagiographies and biographies and crap like that, but we'll also probably move on pretty quickly here after the funeral. (Unless Meghan says some poo poo or Charles sticks his foot in it right out the gate, that may drag it out for another few days.)

But no, this will not be a thing by mid-October. Probably not even by early October.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I can absolutely believe that the UK will mourn and wail Truss straight through the election (Sorry, Keir, should have been a republican) but if you think the US is going to look at King Charles face for a second longer than it has to, lol I say. Lmao.

The US will turn on the royal family the second they insult America's Princess, Meghan Duchess of Sussex.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The British royal family is just celebrity tabloid gossip in the US. Maybe the royal imagery and political ties elevate their prestige somewhat, but it's hard to imagine Queen Elizabeth's death having more staying power in the media than if someone like Robert DeNiro died.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Because of the dust up between the Royal family and Meghan Markle, racist chuds in America have kind of adopted the UK royals for their team, but despite all this I doubt anyone will care much in the U.S. beyond this week.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Rigel posted:

I really wish they could just directly appeal to SCOTUS and get a quick ruling. The political class using the courts as a way of dragging this out with endless appeals is so loving frustrating.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

The British royal family is just celebrity tabloid gossip in the US. Maybe the royal imagery and political ties elevate their prestige somewhat, but it's hard to imagine Queen Elizabeth's death having more staying power in the media than if someone like Robert DeNiro died.

I hope you're right, but don't think you are. I think you greatly underestimate the average American's appetite for the pomp and ritual of the British Royals, and corporate media will be more than happy to dish out this pre-fab slop to us for as long as we can collectively stomach it.

The exact same logic of all the free press they gave Trump: people want to watch it, they have to spend close to zero dollars to air it, it's a license for them to just print money.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

I hope you're right, but don't think you are. I think you greatly underestimate the average American's appetite for the pomp and ritual of the British Royals, and corporate media will be more than happy to dish out this pre-fab slop to us for as long as we can collectively stomach it.

The exact same logic of all the free press they gave Trump: people want to watch it, they have to spend close to zero dollars to air it, it's a license for them to just print money.

Even if the US media tried, and I cannot begin to fathom how or why they would, Trump would immediately get angry that this foreign lady he's never met is getting all the attention, and do something dumb and angry and loud to make himself the focus again.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ElegantFugue posted:

Even if the US media tried, and I cannot begin to fathom how or why they would, Trump would immediately get angry that this foreign lady he's never met is getting all the attention, and do something dumb and angry and loud to make himself the focus again.

The "how" is just showing live footage of Buckingham or Balmoral or wherever Charles and the others are, waiting breathlessly for something to happen, not to mention the actual pomp and ceremony of a funeral and a coronation (both of which will be all-day events)

The "why" is ratings

And as for Trump, his rants on whatever his Twitter clone is called get fairly miniscule attention outside of RWM.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think it's been 20+ years since the average American had more appetite for news of the entire British royal family collectively than they do for a single A-list American celebrity. Which is a lot to be fair, but it's not going to be driving enough coverage to crowd major stories out apart from like today and maybe the day of the funeral.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ElegantFugue posted:

Trump would immediately get angry that this foreign lady he's never met

you mean to tell me The Queen's Corgi wasn't a documentary?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Judgy Fucker posted:

British, Canadians, Australians, etc all have the Queen on their money. To us she's a celebrity not unlike Robin Williams or Betty White. There will be four or five days, but once it's been 48 hours since Charles was last seen in public they'll move on. The coronation is going to take time and planning, and the US media will return to RoyalsWatch when it occurs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

It might get a bit of coverage, but there is absolutely no way the British royal family is going to crowd Trump coverage off the news

Americans care way more about catching the next episode of the Trump saga than they do about a minor foreign celebrity

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Main Paineframe posted:

It might get a bit of coverage, but there is absolutely no way the British royal family is going to crowd Trump coverage off the news

Americans care way more about catching the next episode of the Trump saga than they do about a minor foreign celebrity

Meanwhile, here in Canada:

If you scroll down about a page and a half there is a section on Trump and Bannon at least.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kalli posted:

That'd probably be closer to the ideal, something akin to Taiwan's scooter charging stations, at least for the densest cities which should be doing all it can over the years to get cars out of them as is.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/taiwan-soon-to-have-more-gogoro-electric-scooter-battery-swap-stations-than-gas-stations/

When I went scooter shopping in 2014 because I got a new job and I didn't think my 20-year-old scooter would be able to take the commute, I had heard that electric scooters were coming out soon. If I had known how quickly Gogoros took over the new scooter market, I would have waited a year to get one. I have a couple friends who have them and love them. Battery kiosks sprouted up everywhere and it is very simple to do. Whenever I need to get a new scooter I will definitely buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Prism posted:

Meanwhile, here in Canada:

If you scroll down about a page and a half there is a section on Trump and Bannon at least.

American CNN.com is about the same, I'm on a phone and the first three screens are all about the queen. Trump is on screen five.

It just won't stay that way for more than a few days.