Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

not 100% sure if this is real but lol

Gonna have to start grinding funbucks to unlock new heroes

Oh what's that? You want to ruin the last blizzard game I like?

.... has anyone told blizzard we have choices for computer game entertainment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

They actually found a way to introduce even more toxicity to overwatch. :rubby: :blizz:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

All I really wanted was more Archives missions. :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jack B Nimble posted:

After years of trying to like OW1 the conclusion I reached is that TF2 was right to have a drop in, drop out server model that saw players come and go and a generally much more chaotic and less finely tuned match flow, and OW1 adding set teams and match making (which includes outside of ranked) was fundamentally a mistake).

I know these traits are intentionally a blending of DOTA and TF2, so I guess I'm saying OW will never be the game I want it to because it'll always be a blend of a game I love and a game I hate.

I love OW still, but yeah, I miss the days where matchmaking didn’t exist outside of like CAL or OGL and you could just hop into whatever random hosted server to play for a bit on a whim.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
It would be pretty surprising if they didn’t just unlock the character for everyone after the battle pass ends. This may be a way to prevent everyone from instalocking the new character the second they’re released, too, and giving a character a more staggered release.

Sucks that the way they’re doing it is through micro transactions though. Seems to be the way most games are headed these days.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/Spex_J/status/1567694080909660162

So they'll be free to grind. Still sucks tho

lmao :rip: to overwatch

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
hey look on the bright side,

after days of trying and failing to get overwatch to trend on twitter ahead of the launch, they finally generated some buzz

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So obviously Blizzard is in dire straits in general but how the gently caress do you not have a news article or like, preview coverage ready to go on your "exciting new battle pass system" or whatever lipstick you want to put on the pig that you can put out when this news starts doing the rounds?

Rather than just letting this slip out and then saying "no don't worry it'll be fine but we won't be elaborating further right now".

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

thebardyspoon posted:

So obviously Blizzard is in dire straits in general but how the gently caress do you not have a news article or like, preview coverage ready to go on your "exciting new battle pass system" or whatever lipstick you want to put on the pig that you can put out when this news starts doing the rounds?

Rather than just letting this slip out and then saying "no don't worry it'll be fine but we won't be elaborating further right now".

they knew the queen was about to bite it but messed up the timing by a few hours

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

That literally was meant to be the exciting new battlepass part of the post

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That literally was meant to be the exciting new battlepass part of the post

Nah that thing up there isn't a proper announcement, it's just a little blurb on the preorder bonus for the fancy edition of the game which blew up cause it was the first anyone's heard about heroes not just being available for everyone when they get added. Then the explanation just raised further questions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah you're right

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
OW dev team make one good decision since 2019 challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I very much doubt the dev team were behind this decision

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wheeee posted:

I very much doubt the dev team were behind this decision
I'd say it's even money between suit mandate or devs trying to appease suits in the dumbest way imaginable. Countless devs have shown they're more than capable of loving up all by themselves, and Blizz definitely isn't an exception.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I truly doubt it's anyone on the gameplay/rendering/art/sound/etc side of things who looked at Overwatch and said "You know what this game needs? FOMO mechanics ruining the fundamental number one thing people like about our game"

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

I truly doubt it's anyone on the gameplay/rendering/art/sound/etc side of things who looked at Overwatch and said "You know what this game needs? FOMO mechanics ruining the fundamental number one thing people like about our game"
It's not that the game needs it, it's how they're supposed to create a steady monetization stream with a now F2P game when lootboxes are off the table.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaV7O9BnAUI

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Wow, they really tried not to include Majima from Yakuza in there, huh

e: for actual content; foxgirl is no fox girl, she's a goblin girl living on boxes of donuts and pizza

Ignis fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 8, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Not a real screen capture.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Father Wendigo posted:

It's not that the game needs it, it's how they're supposed to create a steady monetization stream with a now F2P game when lootboxes are off the table.

There's no laws they need to follow for this. They should have left new characters out of the "you have to earn these" pool.
By leaving them in they can potentially create an imbalance, or worsen the one that exists. It opens up cases where "to counter X you need Y" which occurs regularly at lower tiers and if a player doesn't have "Y" for whatever reason you now create opportunity for that player to be abused, you'll have players in games where loses are more regular.

Also, they're potentially loving themselves out of money - If I don't have time to play the game enough to "earn" the new hero then I can just pay for the Battlepass. The new character is a Support. I don't play Support. I'm bad at it. This decreases the odds of me buying the battlepass because I see the character that I don't want as a part of the pack and the deal is now worse. It's "stuff that I want" and "A character I don't". The value of the character is probably the "greater part" of the deal.
This is vs "just having a Battlepass of cosmetics" I am more likely to pay $$ for because the cosmetics have equal shared value.
I'm assuming they're not total deadshits and will have the heroes for "sale" individually but they really need to get ahead of the "leak" and poo poo Twitter posts to make it clear exactly how this works.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I like when this new girl does the crazy eyes

edit:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's a financial incentive to make the game grossly imbalanced every time a new hero drops, which will not be a problem with blizzard's current culture

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So OW2 is F2P with a battle pass system?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

So OW2 is F2P with a battle pass system?

Battlepass games don't necessarily have to lock you out of things that affect gameplay though. Like as lovely as Halo's BP was at least you weren't locked out of driving a Ghost until you hit level 8 or whatever.

e: may have misinterpreted the context of your post. Yes Overwatch 2 is F2P with rotating battlepass system. Going forward, new heroes will be unlocked through the free side of the battlepass (or at least the first new one will be). They have said that after a battlepass rotates there will be a way to unlock heroes that are no longer on a pass, but they haven't said what that is yet.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 8, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Using a new character is considered throwing anyway, until you have played 100+ hours with them.
How do you get these 100 hours first though? :iiam:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

thinking back fondly to how much my interest in picking up Apex periodically waned once I’d run out of the currency used to buy new heroes that I’d stockpiled when the game was newer

looking forward to overwatch becoming one of those games I briefly consider reinstalling then nope out of when I remember how many new characters there are that I don’t have access to

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
While I detest the need to unlock new heroes, I think the balance of not being able to properly counter because your role player hasn't unlocked the character is being a bit overblown. At high levels of play everyone should be unlocking the characters regardless. In general, the game should strive to not be balanced in such a way that only a single hero can can be used to counter another hero. I think for the most part this is the case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯? Also, regardless of locked heroes or not, this is always going to be a problem at many ranks. Many players don't know how to play every single hero in their selected role effectively, so if you are relying on someone to swap to one specific hero in order to win a match you're sometimes going to be in for a bad time locks or no locks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ow is designed from the ground up that hero switching is a vital and completely intended part of countering characters. beyond just the baseline :eyeroll: at the battlepass, that's why people are focused on that specific point

I don't think anyone expects blizzard to not be balancing heroes in a way that their hard counters require unlocking

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

:yeah:
Stale metas are the worst.

Luckily that doesn't matter at my ELO.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Splinter posted:

While I detest the need to unlock new heroes, I think the balance of not being able to properly counter because your role player hasn't unlocked the character is being a bit overblown. At high levels of play everyone should be unlocking the characters regardless. In general, the game should strive to not be balanced in such a way that only a single hero can can be used to counter another hero. I think for the most part this is the case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯? Also, regardless of locked heroes or not, this is always going to be a problem at many ranks. Many players don't know how to play every single hero in their selected role effectively, so if you are relying on someone to swap to one specific hero in order to win a match you're sometimes going to be in for a bad time locks or no locks.

It's gonna be a problem for new players when like a year down the line there's five dudes you need to grind for 10 hours each to unlock because they aren't on a free battlepass any more

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
in ow2, not only will your team mate be unwilling to switch to counter the enemy teams comp, he'll also be unable to

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wheeee posted:

thinking back fondly to how much my interest in picking up Apex periodically waned once I’d run out of the currency used to buy new heroes that I’d stockpiled when the game was newer

At least for Apex it really only matters if you're going for the tippy top of competition. If you're good at shooting dudes you'll be fine with the entire cast. poo poo, i play mostly non meta characters and I have a wildly better winrate than average.

Like, imagine not being able to run Ana during beyblade meta because your healers hadn't unlocked her yet? lmao, way worse.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my friends and I are addicted enough that we'll probably just earn the new characters quickly, unfortunately. I am not proud of this

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Chillgamesh posted:

It's gonna be a problem for new players when like a year down the line there's five dudes you need to grind for 10 hours each to unlock because they aren't on a free battlepass any more

Yeah you're right, I suppose this will be the case (also for players who come back to the game after a long break) if there's no alternative to unlock (i.e. :10bux:). I would actually not be opposed to them just charging for new heroes, as I'm already resigned to some BS given it's F2P, and it will also incentivize blizz to actually release new heroes regularly. But if the only way to unlock the 5 heroes you missed is by grinding, that's a problem.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

dogstile posted:

At least for Apex it really only matters if you're going for the tippy top of competition. If you're good at shooting dudes you'll be fine with the entire cast. poo poo, i play mostly non meta characters and I have a wildly better winrate than average.

Like, imagine not being able to run Ana during beyblade meta because your healers hadn't unlocked her yet? lmao, way worse.

Yea this is super important for people like buddy up above trying to rationalize to hear and grasp. This feels bad in other games, it breaks the Overwatch experience.

To repeat the point, Overwatch is designed from the ground up around hot-swapping characters as needed, to the point that the new DPS role passive in OW2 is keeping some of their ultimate charge when switching to another character.

In Apex and Valorant this freemium model sucks poo poo for new players but isn’t game breaking, in Overwatch it literally runs counter to the game’s core design, if you find yourself rationalizing how it’s not bad just lol

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

dogstile posted:

Forget Ana, remember Brig? She was the meta, everyone else was there to maximize her oppression.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That had to have been leaked by a disgruntled team member, right? Lol.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

get it out now so those whiners on reddit and twitter can get it out of their system early, can't go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Just want to give a shout out to my favorite game, dota 2, for always and forever having all it's hero's unlocked by default.