Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Only thing I could think is perhaps Death Guard with a focus on endurance and restraint? The old XIV has always been about being able to take whatever is dished out and it might have worked to show Amit learning to control his own cannibalistic desires contrasted with the Death Guard embracing Nurgle to keep going. Although there was a Mortarion focused book already... I guess there isn't really isn't another Legion left apart from the Sons of Horus, which could have been an interesting one but I guess we'll be getting a whole heap of that in the final 2 parter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I was kind of surprised that some of what was shown in EoE wasn't saved for Sangy primarch novel.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

FPyat posted:

You gotta have some rule preventing random people from flooding the site with articles about themselves, the people they know, local businesses, etc

Deptfordx posted:

Wikipedia has deleted stuff not judged as meeting it's 'Notability' requirements since day one.

See this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

How interesting. I hadn't considered the issue of people writing about themselves or those they know personally. And I suppose that if the site has a page for every published author and work, it would just become unmanageable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Genghis Cohen posted:

How interesting. I hadn't considered the issue of people writing about themselves or those they know personally. And I suppose that if the site has a page for every published author and work, it would just become unmanageable.
There was a minor scandal a while back when someone noticed that a lot of edits about the Irish government had come from Irish government IP addresses.

MrNemo posted:

Only thing I could think is perhaps Death Guard with a focus on endurance and restraint? The old XIV has always been about being able to take whatever is dished out and it might have worked to show Amit learning to control his own cannibalistic desires contrasted with the Death Guard embracing Nurgle to keep going. Although there was a Mortarion focused book already... I guess there isn't really isn't another Legion left apart from the Sons of Horus, which could have been an interesting one but I guess we'll be getting a whole heap of that in the final 2 parter.
Why control them when you've got organs that let you learn stuff by eatin' people?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...library-novels/

A trio of new books has been announced.

First up we have Phil Kelly writing Tau. (A prospect which did not fill one of my Warhammer friends with all that much confidence.)
What's interesting about this one is that it apparently features a bunch of allied xenos species, nicassar and charpactin. As well as the kroot.

Then we have Mike Brooks going back to writing Alpha Legion.

And finally a new book about the Flesh Tearers featuring a new author who wrote a short story about them in the Successors anthology.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...library-novels/

A trio of new books has been announced.

First up we have Phil Kelly writing Tau. (A prospect which did not fill one of my Warhammer friends with all that much confidence.)

The Farsight books are Not Very Good

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Phil Kelly was once described as "the most boring man in the world" by a friend who met him at some event.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arquinsiel posted:

Phil Kelly was once described as "the most boring man in the world" by a friend who met him at some event.

Perfect match for the Tau!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I liked how in the first Farsight book there's a Tzeentcg possessed water caste envoy and his big, secret, Tzeentchian plan is to... help out Farsight and then try to kill his human ally with a knife.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Farsight books are Not Very Good

i just kinda find the tau boring now. i kinda liked them better when they were the sorta "good guys" of the universe but really naive and prone to bad choices. instead whatever they are now.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Very excited we are getting another Brooks AL novel. That dude is really cranking out work faster than any other BL author. Forrester's Flesh Tearers short story is good if I remember correctly and they are a cool chapter who needs more love so hyped for that too. BL continues to branch out into the less written about stuff and I'm here for it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nothing against them but I don't think the Flesh Tearers can be described as a "lesser written about" kind of chapter. They have probably more lore and stories than any non-First Founding chapter save the Black Templars.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If Phil Kelly is as good writing stories as he was writing codex, then it's a hard pass. Mike Brooks on the other hand, now that looks promising.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just kinda find the tau boring now. i kinda liked them better when they were the sorta "good guys" of the universe but really naive and prone to bad choices. instead whatever they are now.

They can still be interesting with the whole pheromone and misguided nature of the Greater Good. They just need to hit the nail on the head of even a good guy with the better ideology isn't immune to corruption and manipulation from the universe and warp at large.

Haven't really read anything other than the stuff posted here and some voice readings on youtube but feels like theyre missing the mark where the meat is on all that.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
About half way through Echoes of Eternity, and holy poo poo - I can't remember reading a 40K novel with this much descriptive body horror.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Tau are at their most fun when their naivety smacks face first into the true horror of the 40k universe. They basically exist to do two things, fill the anime mecha aesthetic niche and explore what would happen if a relatively "normal" sci-fi civilization was dropped into 40k and had to play by its rules. If they aren't confronting dangers that threaten to undermine their entire worldview then they're really not that interesting.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

If Phil Kelly is as good writing stories as he was writing codex, then it's a hard pass. Mike Brooks on the other hand, now that looks promising.

Dark Eldar 5e was an all time great.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Tau are at their most fun when their naivety smacks face first into the true horror of the 40k universe. They basically exist to do two things, fill the anime mecha aesthetic niche and explore what would happen if a relatively "normal" sci-fi civilization was dropped into 40k and had to play by its rules. If they aren't confronting dangers that threaten to undermine their entire worldview then they're really not that interesting.

Which was why the tau were pretty fun in the ciaphas cain books.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arbite posted:

Dark Eldar 5e was an all time great.

Exactly, that's the problem, you filthy xenos lovers ruined everything (just kidding)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

Eldar are way more anime mecha, Tau are kinda weird aesthetically. Very unique to themselves. Super top heavy balance, lack of hands, mostly boxy angles on construction, and the wierd hoof foot that is original to tau as far as I can tell.

Wraith constructs are more properly bottom heavy and have a very gundam leg construction with a more rounded form and pronounced calves. Which makes sense, Craftworld take a lot of direct inspiration from an outsiders concept of japanese mastery of craft and bushido etc, just with celtic names.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 8, 2022

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I always felt like that was a fuckup at the initial Tau release.

The Battlesuits aesthetically didn't match the rest of the range. I was working in Workshop at the time, and the Fire Warriors & vehicles were super anime, all curved plates and graceful lines, it was only the XV8s that were this weird boxy design. We wondered even then if someone else had designed them, because I believe(?) Jes did the original Fire Warriors, and everything else was taken from there.

E: On, and the original Stealth suits definitely felt farmed out to a junior; They were just... weird to everything else, and had hosed up proportions. Lemartes grade odd.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Shockeh posted:

I always felt like that was a fuckup at the initial Tau release.

The Battlesuits aesthetically didn't match the rest of the range. I was working in Workshop at the time, and the Fire Warriors & vehicles were super anime, all curved plates and graceful lines, it was only the XV8s that were this weird boxy design. We wondered even then if someone else had designed them, because I believe(?) Jes did the original Fire Warriors, and everything else was taken from there.

E: On, and the original Stealth suits definitely felt farmed out to a junior; They were just... weird to everything else, and had hosed up proportions. Lemartes grade odd.

The Tau aesthetic is all from Heavy Gear, it’s just their suits are from the North while everything else is from the South.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Tau actually found a STC full of Robotech schematics.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here read/listened-to The Wraithbone Phoenix?

I really enjoyed the first Baggit & Claude audio drama and was curious about checking out the new full length novel, but my book budget is limited.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Paddyo posted:

About half way through Echoes of Eternity, and holy poo poo - I can't remember reading a 40K novel with this much descriptive body horror.

Yeah it’s great, parts of the book are really brutal. Best book of the Siege so far for me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So the Goonhammer review has convinced me that I have to read Echoes of Eternity. What is the absolute bare minimum I need to read of the main heresy series before diving into the Siege of Terra?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I read none of it before I started on the Siege books and it was still enjoyable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'd add the last Heresy book, Titandeath. That was pretty metal in its own right and introduces characters that are active in the Siege novels. But nothing wrong with reading just the Siege series.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

So the Goonhammer review has convinced me that I have to read Echoes of Eternity. What is the absolute bare minimum I need to read of the main heresy series before diving into the Siege of Terra?

The firt three (Horus Rising, False God, Galaxy in Flames) for the inciting incident.
Legion for the 'conspiracy' aspect.
The First Heretic and Betrayer (Possibly Aurelian) for the threads that become bital in EoE
A Thousand Sons for the Magnus/Russ angle.

Thankfully those are pretty good. If you have time and get in geat, there are other good ones, but they usually don't factor much. And void Angel Exterminatus, Battle for the Abyss and Vengeful Spirit.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I'd add Prospero Burns to that list, for the other side of the Magnus/Russ angle. Pretty good book too, aside from the wet-leopard growls every other page.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Badly Jester posted:

I'd add Prospero Burns to that list, for the other side of the Magnus/Russ angle. Pretty good book too, aside from the wet-leopard growls every other page.

Are the growls wet or the leopards?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Read Nemisis. :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Legion, Unremembered Empire, and Know no Fear are also good.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AndyElusive posted:

don’t tell people to kill themselves it’s against forum rules

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

AndyElusive posted:

Pretty sure that's how Hitler is spending his eternity in hell; just re-reading Nemesis over and over again.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If you haven't read any of the HH main sequence books, then for god's sake don't start now just so you can read EoE.

Just read the Siege books, it'll be fine.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Broken Record Talk posted:

Pretty sure that's how Hitler is spending his eternity in hell; just re-reading Nemesis over and over again.

No, no. Nemesis has a good idea in it. Battle for the Abyss is the stupid nonsense book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Exactly. An elite team of assassins from every clade have to join forces to take out a near-impossible target is a great elevator pitch.

Just don't make the target a character who canonically can't die in this series.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Exactly. An elite team of assassins from every clade have to join forces to take out a near-impossible target is a great elevator pitch.

Just don't make the target a character who canonically can't die in this series.

I've said this before but back when all that was known about Nemesis was that it would be about the assassin clades, I really hoped it would be about the different clades having different loyalties and an internal civil war between them / within each of them.

So disappointed with what we got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Assassin civil war, also a great idea. They really fumbled that one.