Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Pixel 5 decided to not have a working screen anymore. Straight up, I like the idea of having basic basic android, but Googles build quality seems pretty poo poo. Had to dig out an old LG Nexus and got hit with every possible old phone trick. Background was my Ex, had to install a million updates, gently caress around with Googles account recovery bullshit. I just need Spotify to work so I can go to the gym and not listen to their terrible music, it's all I ask.

Yo, as someone who's been on the pixel wagon since the 2XL, I can comfortably say that the 6 is a different animal. In a single 24 month contract, I had 3 4XLs and a 5 die due to screen issues, although I put some of that down to 4 of those phones being refurbs.

The 6 has been rock solid for me, and just feels better though. It's bigger than I'd have liked - I felt the 5 was a really good size - but it really feels like shedding LG was the best thing they ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I never had a Pixel break. poo poo not working right straight out of the box, yes for sure. They have to 'ripen' for a few months of software fixes.

The Nexus 5X though, I went through like 3 or 4 warranty exchanges during the year(?) of warranty it came with by default. That was made by LG and I'm pretty sure that timebomb was a large chunk of why they exited the cellphone market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never had to RMA any phone I've had. Ever.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

:same:

I feel like I shouldn't jinx myself saying that, though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just buy a new one and throw the old one in a box.

Gotta say, I miss having buttons instead of this swipe garbage.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I just buy a new one and throw the old one in a box.

Gotta say, I miss having buttons instead of this swipe garbage.

You can set Android to use 3 buttons instead of gestures. Unless you are talking about physical buttons, which have indeed almost entirely disappeared.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Speaking of RMA's, I just had to send my Flip 3 for repair as it decided, out of the blue, to shutdown anytime I close it, becoming a very exclusive non-folding folding phone. Well, not that exclusive, as a quick search shows this is a common issue. My particular phone is 6 months old, no previous signs of hinge or display degradation, even the plastic protection looks new, yadda yadda yadda... so just a warning to my fellow Flipologists ITT that no matter how careful you are, THIS CAN HAPPEN TO YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
My og pixel xl stopped charging, but that was 5 years in so I figure that's fair. My Pixel 5 has been very solid so far.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I asked this in the rooted android thread but I think its broken:

Soo i have this shoebox full of Samsung A10e phones. I was going to fire one up for my lil kid but its secured by someone's google. I've already factory reset the phone so there's no data on it. Just someone's FRP crap. I googled around but couldn't find any free tools.

Is there a free tool for OSX that'll help me wipe this stupid phone?

I ended up finding a phone that'll work for me, but I'm just curious about this step in case someone decides to offer me a million bucks to blow up a phone and rebuild it from scratch.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

coconono posted:

I asked this in the rooted android thread but I think its broken:

Soo i have this shoebox full of Samsung A10e phones. I was going to fire one up for my lil kid but its secured by someone's google. I've already factory reset the phone so there's no data on it. Just someone's FRP crap. I googled around but couldn't find any free tools.

Is there a free tool for OSX that'll help me wipe this stupid phone?

I ended up finding a phone that'll work for me, but I'm just curious about this step in case someone decides to offer me a million bucks to blow up a phone and rebuild it from scratch.

You should be able to boot the phone into fastboot and factory reset it..

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fastboot factory reset won't disable the anti-theft lock, if it were that easy there wouldn't be any point

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

repiv posted:

fastboot factory reset won't disable the anti-theft lock, if it were that easy there wouldn't be any point

after you nuke the data, its just a phone. And one commonly found in the cheap bins of prepaid phone aisle at the super market.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
It's kind of shady but there are videos on YouTube showing various frp bypass methods, mostly just involving obscure menu selections during initial setup.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I dug through all those. It already pre-supposes you've rooted your phone or haven't factory defaulted it. And there's other tools that cost $50 which is way more than I spent on the shoebox of phones(free).

Oh well, I guess I'll consign the thing to the e-waste pile.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

coconono posted:

yeah I dug through all those. It already pre-supposes you've rooted your phone or haven't factory defaulted it. And there's other tools that cost $50 which is way more than I spent on the shoebox of phones(free).

Oh well, I guess I'll consign the thing to the e-waste pile.

Ymmv but I had to do it to my Pixel 5 a while back after an unfortunate incident with a shared login and it wasn't rooted and had already been factory reset. This is the video I used: https://youtu.be/ioav-hfRABI

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Ymmv but I had to do it to my Pixel 5 a while back after an unfortunate incident with a shared login and it wasn't rooted and had already been factory reset. This is the video I used: https://youtu.be/ioav-hfRABI

That video wasn't the same android version as this phone but I did some digging along the lines and phone some vids that go me close. You have to crash the samsung setup app but the problem is the app restarts instead of crashing back out to the OS. I also did some digging into the FRP mechanism and it looks close to the same tech that the iphones use when you secure it against their iCloud stuff. Which means you're boned unless you take it to a carrier store and plead your case. Shits secured against the IMEI.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Got a question; I'm on a Pixel 4 but I'm guessing this problem exists on other phones since it's just regarding the default messages app:

The Messages app correctly identifies incoming text messages as spam and puts them in the spam folder, but aggravatingly enough, it does this AFTER playing the message notification tone, so I keep getting alerted every time someone texts me a cool new way to earn money if I just give them my bank info. Is there a way to make it alert me only after it's decided a message isn't spam?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

I've only had an OG Pixel, and the 3a so far. I replaced the OG Pixel when the battery life went to poo poo, and got a 3a. The initial 3a I received worked for about an hour after I got it set up, then the touch screen went haywire and was just receiving permanent inputs, it was a bitch to factory reset it under those conditions for return.

Replacement 3a, has been working fine ever since, it is starting to show it's age as it's running a bit slower lately, and the battery, while still good, isn't what it used to be. I'm really hoping that it'll last me at least until the 7a drops.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
My wife had to go through 4 OG Pixel replacements before getting one without the phone speaker issue that resulted in a class action suit, but the one that did end up working lasted her like 4 years. And then we got a check back for more than we originally paid.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
At this point I've had some kind of major issue with 2 different Nexus phone (5 - stuck power button, and 6P - boot loop), and 2 different Pixels (2 - EOL update hosed up compatibility with my carrier, and 3 - EDL mode brick). I've received restitution for 2 of the 4 issues, with a replacement 6P sent out of normal warranty, and a new 3aXL sent by the carrier to replace the Pixel 2.

The Pixel 3 irks me the most because it seems like they've taken to just hand-waving the design/component flaw as "normal component lifespan" bullshit instead of trying to make things right. Memory components being expected to die within 3 years is just... crazy to me. I still have it just in case something develops.

I bought a Pixel 5 to replace it because no other options were as appealing at the moment for the price. Seems like the only other phoned this size would be an iPhone or a Galaxy S22, both like twice the price I paid for the 5. Not sure where I'll go when this phone inevitably eats it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

A warning for potential Pixel Buds Pro buyers: they're advertised as working with your Windows laptop, but in reality there's a 0.5 - 1 second audio delay, so it's useless for watching videos, having meetings etc.

They should update their advertising, I was looking forward to using my buds as my only set of headphones but they're not really capable of that. Apparently Air Pods work better.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Weird, my pixel bud A's work fine

Are there other reports of this out there?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe the Pixel 5 doesn't have a head phone jack. I've got nobody but myself to blame

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't believe the Pixel 5 doesn't have a head phone jack. I've got nobody but myself to blame

Welcome to like 3+ years ago lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

smoobles posted:

A warning for potential Pixel Buds Pro buyers: they're advertised as working with your Windows laptop, but in reality there's a 0.5 - 1 second audio delay, so it's useless for watching videos, having meetings etc.

They should update their advertising, I was looking forward to using my buds as my only set of headphones but they're not really capable of that. Apparently Air Pods work better.

I just double checked my Pixel Bud Pros and they definitely do not do this - you may need to do a warranty repair.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Welcome to like 3+ years ago lol
the 3 was the first pixel to be without one, but the 5a came out a little over a year ago and has a 3.5mm jack

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd probably troubleshoot windows before doing that.. Try it on a different install/computer at least first

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just pick up the $8 apple usb-c headphone dongle if you want to keep using your old headphones

its very good quality despite the price

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

butt dickus posted:

the 3 was the first pixel to be without one, but the 5a came out a little over a year ago and has a 3.5mm jack

No, the Pixel 2 was the first without one.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

repiv posted:

just pick up the $8 apple usb-c headphone dongle if you want to keep using your old headphones

Has anyone come out with a charger bypass DAC yet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

No, the Pixel 2 was the first without one.
oh wow you're right. that was the one i sent back because the screen turned blue if you weren't looking at it head on give or take a degree

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

butt dickus posted:

Yeah I had a 5A and thought that's what I bought.

repiv posted:

No, spending that eight dollars would vindicate their anti consumer policy of not jacking their phones. It cost me more to get the buds so I didn't need the jack, but I'm never buying a phone without one again.

Luckily this new 5 is proving alright, I prefer the size and I can now use the charging mat I bought months ago before I realized I didn't own anything with wireless charging.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm never buying a phone without one again.
lmao good luck. leaving obsolete tech on a new device is anti-consumer. an extra ingress point for water and dirt on my device is a negative. just like i wouldn't buy a laptop a floppy or optical drive. it's wasted space on garbage i don't need. free yourself from the cord

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

butt dickus posted:

lmao good luck. leaving obsolete tech on a new device is anti-consumer. an extra ingress point for water and dirt on my device is a negative. just like i wouldn't buy a laptop a floppy or optical drive. it's wasted space on garbage i don't need. free yourself from the cord

Such courage!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

butt dickus posted:

Lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

100% correct

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big brain goon looking at a wire attached to a magnet. "drat I wish I could pay five times as much for that, give it lovely battery life, make it easier to lose, and lose compatibility with devices dating back to the seventies."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

butt dickus posted:

Yup. If I need to plug in headphones (I think I did once on an airplane in the last year, that's it lol), I have the cheap USB c earbuds that came with my phone or iPad or whatever. If I need to plug in some fancy headphones, I can use the adapter that came with my phone or iPad or whatever.

Similarly, I haven't had a DVD drive in a laptop or desktop for the past 10 years, but have a cheap external one I've plugged in and used maybe 5 times.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Big brain goon looking at a wire attached to a magnet. "drat I wish I could pay five times as much for that, give it lovely battery life, make it easier to lose, and lose compatibility with devices dating back to the seventies."

Back in my day phones had cords and had to be plugged into the wall AND WE LIKED IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Back in my day phones had cords and had to be plugged into the wall AND WE LIKED IT!

We need some kind of touch-free phone where you pick it up, and a person on the other end connects your call