Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
this is a very, very helpful list. thank you so much! a lot of this ive picked up from leets codes and doing online assessments but it's super useful to have all these topics in one place to refresh myself

i cannot express enough how useful this is for me and how grateful i am. i will ride this wave to an offer and secure my summer corporate housing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

learn all of this amazing knowledge, then proceed to never get to use it because some old at this startup thinks different

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Private Speech posted:

if it's very competitive then maybe read more on graphs and trees and system design, but that takes more time than one day

e: some common questions I've come across:

- tell me about the time when you ... (should be covered in CtCI I think)
- describe your debugging process, often with a problem being given
- relate your programming experience to what the company does (similar but not quite the same as interests)
- string manipulation, especially palindromes
- bit manipulation (bit shifts, casting, inverting bit order, value overflow)
- how floating point works
- database basics (what is normalisation)
- authentication scheme basics (public key, credentials, what is a CA)
- cryptography basics
- common vulnerabilities (buffer overflow, stack overflow, sql injection)
- multithreading and how do you use synchronisation primitives to deal with the pitfalls (mutexes, atomic variables, semaphores, memory barriers, what is a deadlock, what happens if two threads attempt to write a variable or one thread attempts to write and one thread attempts to read at the same time, coroutines if your language has them)
- dependency cycles and how do you resolve them (language specific)
- what is dependency injection

for C++ in particular, ignore if not applicable (there are probably similar things for your chosen language, CtCI has some I think), there's also:
- what is RAII
- what is a memory leak and does it go away when the application ends
- what are smart pointers
- what is a kernel and how does it relate to memory allocation (for embedded also - what is a MMU and what does it mean if you don't have one)
- questions about C++ standards versions, describe what you like and dislike about c++11, that sort of thing
- public/private inheritance
- lambdas
- consts and when to use them
- why do you want to use interfaces (abstract classes) instead of full inheritance

im never qualifying for a c++ internship if that’s where the bar is lol

of course i have only written c++ at work maybe 6 months during my 16y career

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

well I did my internship at ARM some years back so the standard may have been higher than at some places, but the only practical difference from a normal interview were more questions about basics and no tricky graph problems or system design questions

e: they also gave me a test in ancient Greek because I put it on my CV, but that one was just a bit of fun

either way it's all useful to know for technical interviews, even if it might not be needed - it could be useful to show extra depth even on simpler questions

there's a few more random things that came to mind since I wrote that list, but I tried to include common technical interview questions not necessarily just for internships

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 8, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

though honestly the C++ questions are really basic stuff you should probably know if you want to write it for a living, shouldn't take more than two or three days to learn even if you don't

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 8, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Private Speech posted:

- what is RAII
- what is a memory leak and does it go away when the application ends
- what are smart pointers
- what is a kernel and how does it relate to memory allocation (for embedded also - what is a MMU and what does it mean if you don't have one)
- questions about C++ standards versions, describe what you like and dislike about c++11, that sort of thing
- public/private inheritance
- lambdas
- consts and when to use them
- why do you want to use interfaces (abstract classes) instead of full inheritance

asking for “wrong answers only” for these seems like it’d be a good way to test seniority. well the first ones anyway

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

carry on then posted:

configuration management: mostly yaml and git but i can store any type of tuber in any type of idiot

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The site where they had me sign up seems a lot like LinkedIn or any job site, except instead of getting their revenue from ads, paid memberships, and shared business-to-business marketing research, they take 10% of each contract between "xperts" and clients from the client. Also, they only allow "xperts" 300 words to "pitch" (no hard character limit, but any linebreaks for paragraphs are deleted), which is what they call a cover letter in order to lure in Silicon Valley investors by alluding to "elevator pitch", but with a job. Now I'm annoyed because I spent five hours writing a cover letter, think there'd be a text area form when I clicked "pitch", only to find out that the 100-150 characters I wrote for my profile for general profile visitors were sent to the client as the "pitch". It makes me think that maybe I should get in on their deal of passively getting at least ten people's income instead of getting a real job.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 9, 2022

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
you guys ever reject someone with the right skills just because they seem like they would be annoying personality-wise to work with?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

had three 45-60 minute "chats" this week with an old colleague and his co-founders about joining their startup. still unsure if this is actually the interview process or not, because everyone has basically been just selling me the company without asking much

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

my homie dhall posted:

you guys ever reject someone with the right skills just because they seem like they would be annoying personality-wise to work with?

yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

my homie dhall posted:

100% yes

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

how do you word those concerns in the post-interview meeting? bad culture fit?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"seemed like an rear end in a top hat due to X"

if you have a rubric around this sort of thing it's a lot easier, though occasionally stuff will still fall outside of it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

there was a guy we interviewed for a senior position, solid technical chops, saying all the right stuff, until we asked him for an example of a time when he mentored someone

he started off with "well, his name was vineet, so you know what his skin color was" then ranted for 5 minutes about how the guy constantly asked for help and never tried to do anything himself

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

he started off with "well, his name was vineet, so you know what his skin color was"

goddamn

how do people with such a lack of self awareness even survive

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my homie dhall posted:

how do you word those concerns in the post-interview meeting? bad culture fit?

"doesnt seem like someone who would get along well with the team"

"Feels like interactions would be high-friction and cause problems"

"Unnecessarily combative and antagonistic"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

"seemed like an rear end in a top hat due to X"

depending on how formal your interview debriefs are, this is good too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat I was scouring the internet for health startups last night for a minute. drat I need to find a way out of here

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

what if they aren’t really an rear end in a top hat, but they just constantly made reddit jokes the entire interview or otherwise seemed to lack self-awareness in a way that was not necessarily evil or even would impede them at their job, but you would find annoying dealing with day to day? thinking like John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

do you reject those guys?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

nudgenudgetilt posted:

had three 45-60 minute "chats" this week with an old colleague and his co-founders about joining their startup. still unsure if this is actually the interview process or not, because everyone has basically been just selling me the company without asking much

it almost definitely is. your old colleague told his co-founders that he knew he wanted you based on prior work experiences, they said ok, and now they just have to convince you to take the job. congrats on getting to this stage of your career.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my homie dhall posted:

what if they aren’t really an rear end in a top hat, but they just constantly made reddit jokes the entire interview or otherwise seemed to lack self-awareness in a way that was not necessarily evil or even would impede them at their job, but you would find annoying dealing with day to day? thinking like John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

no, you don't. it doesn't sound like he did anything that would be measurable on any sort of decent rubric. rejecting him for that reason is in the same ballpark as the lovely "culture fit" rejections that are derided here. like, it's obviously not the same negative impact as when someone is rejected for being "too political" or "unable to do the job" (read: female, dark skin, has a rainbow watchband, interviewer believes they're trans, accent, visible disability, etc) but rejecting somebody just because you dont wanna be their friend and didn't like their (banal, non-offensive) jokes isn't a good reason.

can you articulate what made you think they lacked self-awareness? they might just a be a dork with a dumb (but inoffensive) sense of humor

it gets complicated when you have limited hiring capacity and multiple candidates that did equally well on the interviews, though. even then the advice _should_ be "don't do a weird culture fit thing" but if you have two people who are equally technically competent, it's kind of weird to say "oh no don't go with the one you think you'd get along with", even though the troubling parallel is obvious

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my homie dhall posted:

i mean idk how bad it is but if theyre just real abrasive with no social skills, yes. If theyre just kinda unfunny dorks, no.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if someone is bogus enough they make other people want to quit then I reckon that’s a bad thing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Culture fit gets a bad rep for legit reasons but it is a thing that you need to worry about on both sides of the table, particularly if you're looking at staff+ positions. Just use structured interviews as much as possible, keep notes, grade according to a rubric, and monitor the process to make sure you're not filtering on the wrong things.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve only ever worked at places where there’s been like one or two applicants for a job lol, basically if you’re physically capable of turning up you get it

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

my homie dhall posted:

you can maybe make an argument about professionalism if they need to represent your team to other departments/companies, but it sounds like in this case they're fairly inoffensive

also it could be interview nerves? people react to that sort of pressure in different ways and i can see someone working too hard to make jokes in that situation

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

i mean idk how bad it is but if theyre just real abrasive with no social skills, yes. If theyre just kinda unfunny dorks, no.

this

i've vetoed even interviewing a guy once because i'd worked with him before and knew he was racist, but if their crime is being a weird dork then i don't care.

bush hid the facts
Sep 9, 2022
I make tools at a startup currently. Yesterday, I had a third party recruiter offer me an interview at twice my current salary (comfortable but not extravagant) for a 1-2 year remote contract (W2 or 1099).

I asked the recruiter for a job description, and all he had was a single sentence where the first half was "*description of exactly what I do now*" and the second half was "*for a different domain application*". That didn't feel like a job description, it felt like someone trying to hire me.

The LinkedIn message that I got from the recruiter asked very specifically if I would be interested in new opportunities using a few tools I recently presented work on at a conference, not the typical recruiter spam I'm used to. He then proceeded to play dumb like he didn't know anything about the work he's trying to recruit for, didn't want to do the math for the 1099 rate vs the W2 rate on the phone, etc. Unfortunately I forgot to ask how he found me.

I still need to pass the interview, and I need a very clear vibe check from the hiring manager that this isn't going to be working me to death. At the same time, this was stupid money that I wrote off as "not something I'd ever see" and an opportunity to begin contract work. If I do independent contractor route instead of W2, does that change how I should approach the interview as selling myself? Does anyone have thoughts on contract work in general? The concept of working in 1-2 year stints on interesting projects as a subject matter expert sounds pretty good, and I can always bail back to permanent positions if I want. Is this a common route to take? Does this happen a lot? I'm mostly freaked out because this is so far beyond what I'm used to seeing, and I don't have many friends who would have gone through this type of thing before.

Reviews are coming up at my current place, and I have a offer at another startup in the area which I was planning to consider following reviews. It became clear in the last week my boss views me as a flight risk; I mentioned I was working on a docs PR for an open source project we use and scrapped it, then they told me very directly I should finish it on company time. Our one-on-one meetings are also almost exclusively just them trying to get me to plan future projects and hiring. When I asked about being a teach lead or manager, my boss kinda shrugged. It's clear to me I'm not valued at market rate for my current job and they're incapable of making up the delta. This isn't a problem per se, but it does make my normal job feel more tense right now, which isn't helping with my stress level.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
welp my company just cut headcount by 15%. they said they were eliminating roles that they didn’t think fit into a new “streamlined” business process. one of the people that they fired was the director of software engineering. i’m a software engineer. lol.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How does somebody register today and wind up here

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bases on their username they should have waited two days

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

CPColin posted:

How does somebody register today and wind up here

it could also be a longtime poster who does not want to ask-talk about this stuff on their main

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bush hid the facts posted:

I make tools at a startup currently. Yesterday, I had a third party recruiter offer me an interview at twice my current salary (comfortable but not extravagant) for a 1-2 year remote contract (W2 or 1099).

I asked the recruiter for a job description, and all he had was a single sentence where the first half was "*description of exactly what I do now*" and the second half was "*for a different domain application*". That didn't feel like a job description, it felt like someone trying to hire me.

The LinkedIn message that I got from the recruiter asked very specifically if I would be interested in new opportunities using a few tools I recently presented work on at a conference, not the typical recruiter spam I'm used to. He then proceeded to play dumb like he didn't know anything about the work he's trying to recruit for, didn't want to do the math for the 1099 rate vs the W2 rate on the phone, etc. Unfortunately I forgot to ask how he found me.

I still need to pass the interview, and I need a very clear vibe check from the hiring manager that this isn't going to be working me to death. At the same time, this was stupid money that I wrote off as "not something I'd ever see" and an opportunity to begin contract work. If I do independent contractor route instead of W2, does that change how I should approach the interview as selling myself? Does anyone have thoughts on contract work in general? The concept of working in 1-2 year stints on interesting projects as a subject matter expert sounds pretty good, and I can always bail back to permanent positions if I want. Is this a common route to take? Does this happen a lot? I'm mostly freaked out because this is so far beyond what I'm used to seeing, and I don't have many friends who would have gone through this type of thing before.

Reviews are coming up at my current place, and I have a offer at another startup in the area which I was planning to consider following reviews. It became clear in the last week my boss views me as a flight risk; I mentioned I was working on a docs PR for an open source project we use and scrapped it, then they told me very directly I should finish it on company time. Our one-on-one meetings are also almost exclusively just them trying to get me to plan future projects and hiring. When I asked about being a teach lead or manager, my boss kinda shrugged. It's clear to me I'm not valued at market rate for my current job and they're incapable of making up the delta. This isn't a problem per se, but it does make my normal job feel more tense right now, which isn't helping with my stress level.

i honestly know nothing about being a contractor, so i would approach this with extreme care.

the rule of thumb i see thrown around is that contracting rate should be twice your regular rate, which means that effectively you being offered twice your current compensation means they are lowballing you? considering the current situation in tech which seems kind of precarious, i would not accept a contract position that could end up with you cut loose at any moment unless it comes with some really really nice compensation to make up for that

the description of your current work situation definitely looks like you are being nudge nudge wink winked into responsibilities without the corresponding compensation increase, which means fuckem

bush hid the facts
Sep 9, 2022

The Fool posted:

bases on their username they should have waited two days

I should've regged "mods hid the facts" instead

4lokos basilisk posted:

i honestly know nothing about being a contractor, so i would approach this with extreme care.

the rule of thumb i see thrown around is that contracting rate should be twice your regular rate, which means that effectively you being offered twice your current compensation means they are lowballing you? considering the current situation in tech which seems kind of precarious, i would not accept a contract position that could end up with you cut loose at any moment unless it comes with some really really nice compensation to make up for that

the description of your current work situation definitely looks like you are being nudge nudge wink winked into responsibilities without the corresponding compensation increase, which means fuckem

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I think the recruiter sent my resume in with particular rates I "agreed" to, I'll certainly try pushing back on that rate if everything comes together.

Regarding being cut at any moment, that's a fair point and something I'd want stipulated in the contract. I will need to ask for more clarification between how the W2 vs 1099 logistics shake out.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

bush hid the facts posted:

From the perspective of a contractor working in the UK/Europe, go for it and never look back. You lose out on some job security because the notice period tends to be shorter and you're first on the chopping block*, but otoh it's way easier to find new work because contractors fuckin love networking, and the short-ish term nature of contracts means you'll always have old work buddies who've started somewhere new and can put in a good word for you, or just straight up ask if you want to come join.

IME interviews don't really seem any different, except as a contractor people seem to just assume you're better than the average permy. The money is great, and if you're a subject matter expert you can charge absolutely stupid rates.

* some companies HR departments loving *love* reminding contractors this

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
talking comp readjustments for market rate and inflation with your current boss could also be good practice. your boss might be able to surprise you or, even better, teach you something about asking for raises you can use next time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

contracting in the us is different, the vast majority of them are you're a w2 permtemp because the hiring manager couldn't get fte budget and you basically get treated like a normal employee, except you don't get pto and don't get to go to company events. a lot of companies have maximum periods they can employ contractors for but otherwise it's basically a normal job

what toiletbrush is talking about sounds more like what we call consulting in the us

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

toiletbrush posted:

of a contractor working in the UK/Europe

you still have the nhs for another few months until liz sells it off to a large U.S. healthcare company for five gallons of heating oil

Figuring out healthcare as a 1099 in the us is the most important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bush hid the facts
Sep 9, 2022

qirex posted:

contracting in the us is different, the vast majority of them are you're a w2 permtemp because the hiring manager couldn't get fte budget and you basically get treated like a normal employee, except you don't get pto and don't get to go to company events. a lot of companies have maximum periods they can employ contractors for but otherwise it's basically a normal job

what toiletbrush is talking about sounds more like what we call consulting in the us

This has the option to be 1099 or W2, and the difference between 1099 and W2 with healthcare is substantial. 1099 vs W2 without healthcare is still a lot, but a more palatable difference.

in a well actually posted:

you still have the nhs for another few months until liz sells it off to a large U.S. healthcare company for five gallons of heating oil

Figuring out healthcare as a 1099 in the us is the most important part.

My fiancee would be down for a domestic partnership/quicker marriage to get me on her insurance, which is basically equivalent to what I have right now. I have a financial advisor who can point me to an accountant to figure out the 1099 filing details, so I'm prepared to sort that side of things out. I felt like the recruiter was trying to talk me out of the 1099 option, truth be told, so I will definitely push on that.