Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The barrel bash race that you have to complete in Mad Max to advance the plot is not fun. Not only do you have to beat all the racers you also have to run over some barrels. Which is fine with the first one because they're in a line but the last ones are scattered across the road. Not to mention that you have to upgrade your car to enter the race, but you can only upgrade the car if you take out enemy bases in a territory. And finally the game decides that you have to have a specific paint job you can only get by defeating a miniboss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the race parts of Mad Max are just not fun.

I've been playing Marvel's Avengers and one of the things the game does is character specific mission chains which can have steps like doing an actual side mission or just completing objectives catch as can. After a couple of story missions the game unlocks Ms Marvel's chain and for some reason the first step in it is to do a tutorial where it teaches you how to dodge and do certain attacks with her. Except to get to this point you have to have completed multiple levels which heavily feature combat so you have to have gotten the basics down by then.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the race parts of Mad Max are just not fun.

There just seems to be too many rules for a death race taking place in the post-apocalyptic Australia and hosted by a guy who dresses like a crow.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not sure who decided random wildcats should be the most annoying thing to fight in AssCreed Odyssey, they just constantly dodge your attacks and jump on your back to grapple you. Run into a pack of them, and they're basically more annoying than anything else short of maxing out your bounty and having high-level mercenaries just constantly piling onto whatever big fight you're already in. It's dumb and tedious, and feels weirdly out of place.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Think I commented here about it previously, but finally got the "secret" ending for Middle Earth: Shadows of War and OMFG that drat game nearly broke me with its bullshit. I lost two forts in a row because the game randomly had a No Chance enemy right near me when something else downed me, cheerfully loving me over for the entire defense and making me sit through the drat fortress assault (thank God recovering the fort advances the quest or I would have straight up quit right then). Then, when I decide to try to set up some betrayals to skip some of the more obnoxious warchief killing quests, the game randomly decided "nope, can't do it" and despawned the mission to betray them for every attempt. Then it decided after I tried the regular way to summon the warchief he suddenly ran off and autofailed the mission for me and decided my followers weren't infiltrated any more without explanation. Kinda enraged me given how obnoxious those infiltrations were since it interacted with the arena minigame, which is a broken piece of poo poo because apparently my followers can't be bother to loving ATTACK ANYTHING! They literally stand there like idiots while the enemy just smacks them; lost several easy fights because apparently the AI is garbage, especially if you make the mistake of picking the wrong class (archers just cannot win any fight because their actions consist of load their crossbow, bump into something/get hit, try to reload the crossbow, bump into something/get hit...). Add in the game liked to randomly increase the enemy's level by up to 6 from what it displayed, and those arena matches were utterly stupid. I wound up brute forcing it with random high level orcs until I won what I needed, and just took over the enemy if they won instead, assuming it didn't suddenly bullshit their level too high for that. It was fun at lower levels but don't think I'm ever playing that game ever again even for the DLC, it's too frustrating.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Forbidden West:

Overall, enemies hit way too hard and take way more damage to kill compared to the Zero Dawn. I'll get hit by just some random laser beam or thrown rock or something, and it takes off like half or 3/4 of my health.

And I'll try to knock components off and use acid for armor reduction and whatnot, but it still takes so long to kill either a mini-boss type enemy, like in a cauldron, or even a small group of what should be nothing enemies to me at this point, lvl 20.

And SPEAKING of knocking components off, where the gently caress are my tear-blast arrows already? I'm sure I had them at this point in Zero Dawn. Haven't found a vendor with a boy that makes/uses them yet.

Like, my main bow right now is the sun-touched hunter bow, blue-tier, so rare. It's normal arrows do 33 impact and 63 tear damage. I have the Shearing Warrior Bow, also blue/rare tier, and it's designed to take off components...and it only does 42 tear damage. And that's with a +7% tear coil. Why does the bow that, in theory, is better for component removal have less tear damage? It should allow me to make/use tear-blast arrows if that's its specialty, right?

I also have a couple sniping bows, and even when upgraded...they suck? I honestly feel like almost all human enemies in the first game, other than bosses of camps, went down in a single stealth snipe to a sniping bow. I'm doing MAYBE 1/3 of their health my my blue-tier sniping bow that does almost 100 impact. Even with a +snipe damage coil and using the Stealth Damage valor surge, I maybe can kill one with a headshot.

I guess they wanted to make human enemies and clearing camps and such more of a challenge than the first game, where yes, by the time you hit like level 15 or so they were never remotely a challenge...but I think they over-corrected.

I think there are only 2 Sharpshot bows that have Tear arrows. One is a quest called Broken Sky, and other is a purchase on west side of the map on the coast.

I think they intend people to use the shredder gauntlets or something, which generally aren't worth the trouble to use. I never found them that good, but some of the Spike throws have drill spikes that can strip parts. If you use the burst fire, they can really do some work.

A lot of the enemies are using helmets, or have armor around their head. Its near impossible to tell from a distance.

I've got a lot of complaints about the game too I need to put down at point, because it sure has some backsteps from the first game.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
At least the drop rate on fox skins and goose feathers is higher than the original

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

*Kramers in like yet another War Chief interrupting you any time you try to do literally anything* But the microtransactions were optional!!!!!
:goonsay:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MadDogMike posted:

Think I commented here about it previously, but finally got the "secret" ending for Middle Earth: Shadows of War and OMFG that drat game nearly broke me with its bullshit. I lost two forts in a row because the game randomly had a No Chance enemy right near me when something else downed me, cheerfully loving me over for the entire defense and making me sit through the drat fortress assault (thank God recovering the fort advances the quest or I would have straight up quit right then). Then, when I decide to try to set up some betrayals to skip some of the more obnoxious warchief killing quests, the game randomly decided "nope, can't do it" and despawned the mission to betray them for every attempt. Then it decided after I tried the regular way to summon the warchief he suddenly ran off and autofailed the mission for me and decided my followers weren't infiltrated any more without explanation. Kinda enraged me given how obnoxious those infiltrations were since it interacted with the arena minigame, which is a broken piece of poo poo because apparently my followers can't be bother to loving ATTACK ANYTHING! They literally stand there like idiots while the enemy just smacks them; lost several easy fights because apparently the AI is garbage, especially if you make the mistake of picking the wrong class (archers just cannot win any fight because their actions consist of load their crossbow, bump into something/get hit, try to reload the crossbow, bump into something/get hit...). Add in the game liked to randomly increase the enemy's level by up to 6 from what it displayed, and those arena matches were utterly stupid. I wound up brute forcing it with random high level orcs until I won what I needed, and just took over the enemy if they won instead, assuming it didn't suddenly bullshit their level too high for that. It was fun at lower levels but don't think I'm ever playing that game ever again even for the DLC, it's too frustrating.

I enjoyed sieging other players' strongholds in that game, especially because the devs were smart enough to not make that give negative effects to the other player if you won. I couldn't resist making a stronghold myself, entirely filled with ranged assassins that had "no chance" and either a poisoned or cursed weapon. I also splurged all the resources from playing 50+ hours to upgrade them further so they had bodyguards and poo poo.

I have no idea how matchmaking in that game works and if it still brings up strongholds from players who haven't played in a while, but even it was just a handful of players in a single month that had to deal with my stronghold it was worth it. Was sieging against me impossible? No, not at all. Would it be annoying as hell? *evil laughter*

I think No Chance doesn't stop you from getting back in the fight, it just hides the button prompt. So you have to guess what button you need for the QTE and get the timing right or it is game over.

Edit: And yeah, the AI in the arena fights is pretty embarrassing. It's amazing that it is a feature that actually shipped for a triple A game like that.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Sep 6, 2022

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
A friend of mine has been getting into a multiplayer co-op Slay the Spire clone called "Across the Obelisk," and insisted that I give it a try. It's an incredibly unoriginal game. The design/worldbuilding aesthetic is "2d world of warcraft" (roughly the same writing quality, too) but without any charm, and the mechanics are 90% cribbed from STS (but with multiple characters in co-op) with a dash of ideas borrowed from other STS clones and fantasy rpgs. And if that were all, I'd still probably enjoy playing it with that friend - the STS formula is solid enough that I could enjoy a lovely knockoff version. But the one thing that I came here to complain about is the one thing it SHOULD have copied from STS, and that's the interface. The outside-of-battle interfaces are all a bit more complicated than they need to be, with the result being that you must click more times on various precise buttons. And in battle, there are no good hotkeys like in STS - you must click each card, then click the target, individually, moving your mouse back and forth and clicking precisely. These things result in a game that's very wrist-intensive, and it takes less than a full game for it to become physically painful to play for me. My wrist lasts longer playing mouse-heavy action games like FPSs or action-RPGs than it does playing this turn-based piece of poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Regarding Shadow of War, just think, before it was patched out you needed to do hours of fort defenses to get the final ending!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I had fun with Shadow of War in 2020, long after the microtransaction stuff was patched out. The epilogue asks you only do five sieges instead of twenty to see the ending cinematic. I still skipped it though since gently caress that Kingdom Hearts poo poo.

The story is batshit bananas and I give it credit for actually using the Orc Economy thing throughout, when the previous game only needed to manipulate it twice.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DontMockMySmock posted:

A friend of mine has been getting into a multiplayer co-op Slay the Spire clone called "Across the Obelisk," and insisted that I give it a try. It's an incredibly unoriginal game. The design/worldbuilding aesthetic is "2d world of warcraft" (roughly the same writing quality, too) but without any charm, and the mechanics are 90% cribbed from STS (but with multiple characters in co-op) with a dash of ideas borrowed from other STS clones and fantasy rpgs. And if that were all, I'd still probably enjoy playing it with that friend - the STS formula is solid enough that I could enjoy a lovely knockoff version. But the one thing that I came here to complain about is the one thing it SHOULD have copied from STS, and that's the interface. The outside-of-battle interfaces are all a bit more complicated than they need to be, with the result being that you must click more times on various precise buttons. And in battle, there are no good hotkeys like in STS - you must click each card, then click the target, individually, moving your mouse back and forth and clicking precisely. These things result in a game that's very wrist-intensive, and it takes less than a full game for it to become physically painful to play for me. My wrist lasts longer playing mouse-heavy action games like FPSs or action-RPGs than it does playing this turn-based piece of poo poo.

The amount of precision and attention to every fine detail that went into every aspect of Slay the Spire is so apparent when you play any of the knockoffs, including the allegedly better ones like Monster Train.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Today, I learned that apparently people like the selectable styles in Devil May Cry 3. Which baffles me, because the central pitch of the default style is 'it's the one with the dodge move'.

Why the gently caress would I select any other style when the default style is the only one with the most basic defensive utility I expect from an action game?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Today, I learned that apparently people like the selectable styles in Devil May Cry 3. Which baffles me, because the central pitch of the default style is 'it's the one with the dodge move'.

Why the gently caress would I select any other style when the default style is the only one with the most basic defensive utility I expect from an action game?

The weird little roll you can do while locked on can be more effective than you might expect. Jumping has iframes as well.

Though yeah obviously being able to switch between styles like in 4, 5, and later ports of 3 is way better.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RyokoTK posted:

The amount of precision and attention to every fine detail that went into every aspect of Slay the Spire is so apparent when you play any of the knockoffs, including the allegedly better ones like Monster Train.

absolutely. Monster Train seemed cool and interesting at first (apart from the absolute dogshit visual design, imo) but it ended up being strategically very, very shallow compared to STS.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like the game but it's basically messy chaos with like one choice per level, compared to slay the spire which is insanely tightly tuned and trickles a constant flow of impactful decisions at you

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Because if you aren't bad at the game the other options let you do cool stuff

I am however bad at the game

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Len posted:

Because if you aren't bad at the game the other options let you do cool stuff

I am however bad at the game

Me too! I basically use the sword style. I can't get the Royal Guard timing down :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

I am generally a fan of motion blur, but Just Cause 4 takes place around a ton of foliage with a lot of very fast camera action and so much of the game just looks like this.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Leave posted:

Me too! I basically use the sword style. I can't get the Royal Guard timing down :(

Royal Guard really shows off the divide between good and bad DMC players, perfect parrying everything and dealing massive counter damage is always going to be better than dodging out of the way. If you can consistently get the timing right it turns you into an invincible anime protagonist.

I'm bad and can't time anything so it's useless to me. Whenever the next game comes out I'm going to put on Trickster and blunder my way through it on normal like the others.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

credburn posted:

I am generally a fan of motion blur, but Just Cause 4 takes place around a ton of foliage with a lot of very fast camera action and so much of the game just looks like this.

This looks like a meme template of being in a grocery store and losing track of your mom.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finished the new Hitman trilogy, enjoyed it, and will continue to replay every mission to maximum mastery. Dumped Hitman Absolution at the 25% mark, and will never ever complete it. Complete dogshit 10 years on.

I can't fathom any mechanic as self-defeating as Absolution's disguise-system. If you dress in the same uniform as a faction, then everyone in said faction will see through your disguise, which immediately negates the point of disguising yourself in the first place.

You have to expend a limited resource called "Instinct" to maintain your disguise while near people who could see through it. Somehow, rubbing your head or adjusting your hat makes you invisible, and somehow this drains a magic meter that can only be refilled by subduing enemies. Everything about this mechanic was "gamey" in the wrong way; trying to up the difficulty by making it more "realistic", which leads to a counter-balance mechanic that is laughably unrealistic.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't fathom any mechanic as self-defeating as Absolution's disguise-system. If you dress in the same uniform as a faction, then everyone in said faction will see through your disguise, which immediately negates the point of disguising yourself in the first place.

You have to expend a limited resource called "Instinct" to maintain your disguise while near people who could see through it. Somehow, rubbing your head or adjusting your hat makes you invisible, and somehow this drains a magic meter that can only be refilled by subduing enemies. Everything about this mechanic was "gamey" in the wrong way; trying to up the difficulty by making it more "realistic", which leads to a counter-balance mechanic that is laughably unrealistic.

This almost works too. If you imagine it being just acting like you belong and avoiding eye contact and the like so they're not paying enough attention to you, then limit it by time around each person instead of some resource and you have yourself a reasonable mechanic.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DontMockMySmock posted:

absolutely. Monster Train seemed cool and interesting at first (apart from the absolute dogshit visual design, imo) but it ended up being strategically very, very shallow compared to STS.

Monster Train is an interesting experiment of a deck builder with no mechanics that interact with the deck. Cards that draw other cards? Not in this one.

And also like 15 of the 25 ascension levels add trash to your starting deck.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I swear I'm not trying to hate video games but I've gotten through the tutorial of Nier: Automata and holy poo poo this gameplay sucks. The camera is garbage and the combat feels super clunky. I really hate how it's constantly changing camera angles and between fixed and non-fixed camera and different genres. Why? Argh. I'm basically resigned to playing for the story at this point (which people went on and on about) at only an hour in. Does it get better? Is there some trick of combat I'm missing?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nier Automata owns sorry you don't like art

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

kazil posted:

Nier Automata owns

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I want to replay Nier Automata but I know if I start it I'll have to finish it and that keeps me from doing it

its dragging the game down

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I may come to like Neir: Automata, I'm already feeling a bit less down on the combat than I was, but that tutorial level was not a good first impression. There was one section where I was put at some weird camera angle and moving my analog stick towards the enemy had my bullets hit the ground right next to my character.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you really dislike the combat you can install a chip that pretty much fights for you.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finished the new Hitman trilogy, enjoyed it, and will continue to replay every mission to maximum mastery.

Try an "oops all explosions" playthrough. Randomize the explosive items you are allowed to bring in with you and try to be creative with it. For example, I exploded the cartel guy (delgado?) in such a way that his corpse flew into his hippo pen. The hippo ate him and it counted as a hidden body.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Phigs posted:

I swear I'm not trying to hate video games but I've gotten through the tutorial of Nier: Automata and holy poo poo this gameplay sucks. The camera is garbage and the combat feels super clunky. I really hate how it's constantly changing camera angles and between fixed and non-fixed camera and different genres. Why? Argh. I'm basically resigned to playing for the story at this point (which people went on and on about) at only an hour in. Does it get better? Is there some trick of combat I'm missing?

Nier's thing is shifting genres and camera angles on the fly. It's part platformer, part arcade shooter and maybe some fighting on the side.

But the game has some really cool and unusual moments you don't normally see in games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So, you ever play one of those games where you realize that they gave you the least interesting person in the entire cast to play as?

Because I'm playing DMC3 again after a break, and every single time Dante talks to other people who aren't bosses, it makes me realize that I really just wish I was playing as Lady, who is much more interesting in every way. Couple that with the fact the friend encouraging me to play the game mostly likes it because she's really into Vergil, and I really get the feeling that they picked entirely the wrong protagonist.

Also, unrelated, but it should be an actual crime to give me a weapon that's 'a literal electric guitar' and make it as terrible as it is in this game.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cleretic posted:

So, you ever play one of those games where you realize that they gave you the least interesting person in the entire cast to play as?

Did you mean(almost) every video game?

Seriously, it happens so often that I'm starting to wonder if it's intentional and there are one of those "how to write X" books, that recommend it , going around. Like what happened with a lot of Hollywood movies.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

This is a major issue I have with video games in general, you have a huge world full of colourful, interesting races, and the game forces you to play as a boring human.

The worst I've seen is Ni No Kuni 2, the world has entire kingdoms made up of various animal people, a kingdom of merfolk and a kingdom that has advanced robots.
And the whole plot is getting them to overcome their differences and unite.

So you'd think your party would be made up of a member from each race and over the course of the game they'd learn to work together or something, right?

Nope, your party is made up of five humans and one human with cat ears.
Granted, one of the party members is the president of what is heavily implied to be the United States, and his weapon is gun, and that rules.
But he alone doesn't make up for the game dropping the ball on its own message.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah they need to get rid of the fantasy races

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hel posted:

Did you mean(almost) every video game?

Seriously, it happens so often that I'm starting to wonder if it's intentional and there are one of those "how to write X" books, that recommend it , going around. Like what happened with a lot of Hollywood movies.

I assume it's intended to let players engage with the game more directly/immersively.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume it's intended to let players engage with the game more directly/immersively.

"As an incredibly boring person, I find it difficult to identify with anyone who has actual traits or character features"?
Could explain all the thirtysomething brown-haired white stubbly dad protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
TBF I thought Evan was interesting enough to follow, I liked the whole "I will build an empire, but one based on kindness" then at the end when getting the final one, his own Ringabel, he's just like "Hey usurper twat who tried to have me killed for this place, I just saved your life from the real villain, so sign this treaty, help me kick his rear end and you can keep this lovely little kingdom as I have a bigger and better one. I'll be taking all your best people though." His personality isn't like that, but it's what happens in gameplay so I found it kind of funny.