Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Does this really happen that often though? Yeah it does a few times but most of the game is you soundly kicking moebius butt
It happens often enough. It makes the actual battle feel vestigial. I don't think it happens as much as it did in XB2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

How do you get north of keves castle? None of the doors in that direction are open and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if this just opens during the main story

I'm only asking because the game has now dared to put a question mark over there. Before this i was sure it would be a story thing but now i have to get the question mark!!!

Chapter 7 quest that’s tied into the main story.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

of course. so they are just cruelly teasing me with the question mark. i should've expected no better of this game

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
getting RSI from using the gamepad so much playing this, so I started auto-battling. It's fine and everything but WHY DOES THE AI START CHAIN ATTACKS WHEN THE ENEMY IS ALMOST DEAD???? I cancel auto-battling immediately and just end the chain attack.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

redreader posted:

getting RSI from using the gamepad so much playing this, so I started auto-battling. It's fine and everything but WHY DOES THE AI START CHAIN ATTACKS WHEN THE ENEMY IS ALMOST DEAD???? I cancel auto-battling immediately and just end the chain attack.

probably for the overkill bonuses

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

M is really hot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm finding it happen a lot with the hero quests. I went out of my way early to do sidequests that I really shouldn't have had access to yet, and abused the crap out of overkilling to get the levels to do so (no grinding, just taking lots of fights on my way and focusing hard on chaining enemies together to get those overkills). I'll rock up to some hero quest fight, they'll be a good 10+ levels below me, and my characters will talk about how tough and skilled the enemy is in the cutscene after I just kicked six different colors of poo poo out of them without breaking a sweat or taking more than 10% hp damage on any character.

Like I said, I get it, it's not like they're recording two different versions of the cutscene just in case you're massively overlevelled, but I find that fight/cutscene split to be aggravating. I guess I could just read my characters as being sarcastic about how strong the enemy is or something.

This is very strange. Do you think that the the level 50 bunnits in zones are supposed to be stronger than Moebius you fight at lower levels?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Beat the game at 128 hours. I really loved it.

Still have some side quests to finish up before tackling any post-game content.

Also I discovered we can change the background poses of the group in the System menu.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pierson posted:

I finished it today and I don't think I get why the ending played out the way it did. The original plan was:

Universes begin to merge > Both halves of Origin link together > Universes finish merging, annihilating both earths because they shared the same physical location > after the merge finishes Origin re-creates a new world (or two new separate worlds) in the now-singular universe and re-populates it/them with the people of both worlds. Crisis over.

Universes begin to merge > Both halves of Origin link together > Z is born of the fear Origin won't work > Moebius stops time (!!!!) > creates a third earth > the events of XB3 happen

So why did Aionos separate into two at the end if it's a new third place? Taion and Eunie talk as though Aionos is made of two separate planets thrown together (the conversation about the book being made of materials from her world) but I thought at the point Z froze time the universes hadn't yet merged, so why does the planet split into two dimensions?

According to Z the universe merge will happen as soon as time resumes, and the post credits scene supports this. Nia says that, after the universe is destroyed, Origin will reboot the worlds' states using data it had collected and everyone will be reborn. The first scene where the audience knows that time is moving again begins in a recreation of the world as it was one second before the intersection and everyone has been reborn.

If you rewatch the intro you'll see that everyone is alive, the two planets are separate, and the universe has definitely not blown up when the Endless Now begins. The two planets begin physically moving towards one another once time has stopped and Origin is presumably in control of things. I think the idea is that Aionios is created by Origin merging the XC1 and XC2 planets together (which is presumably why it's orbited by Earth's moon), and restarting Origin resets the planets to their original positions for some reason.

There's no concrete explanation for what actually happens during the reboot so maybe the planets are in separate universes again in the post-credits scene. Nia says it reboots worlds' states, N says it restores the world the its original form. So who knows.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It makes no sense for the planets to not be merged at the very end, because Noah hears Mio's flute

Of course, the spanner in this scene is the fact that he loving disappears completely which makes no sense

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ytlaya posted:

This is very strange. Do you think that the the level 50 bunnits in zones are supposed to be stronger than Moebius you fight at lower levels?

Of course. The game gives me a way to evaluate how strong an enemy is. The game is telling me via its mechanics that the level 50 bunnit is stronger than early game bosses. If the game wants me to feel differently, it needs to show me that.

The cutscenes and the gameplay should be interlinked. Having them tell different stories is a failure of game design.

Take FFXIV as an example. When you fight a boss, you fight that boss synced to an appropriate level and stat cap. That's the "canon" way that you fought that boss. The bosses then are able to feel appropriately powerful to the story. Levels end up being more of a mechanical contrivance that you gain as you work your way through the main story quests.

Xenoblade has me walk into a low level area and see a monster 40 levels higher than me running around. Levels aren't just a mechanical contrivance - they show the actual power of the critters, and that power level gates my progress in a very meaningful way. I turn a corner and make a note to come back in 15 levels because the enemies I see are way out of my range. And, to be clear, I love that aspect of the game. I love running into little nooks and areas that are gated by critter levels rather than an arbitrary invisible wall. It makes me feel good to be able to sequence break a bit and gain access to things that are way ahead of the current story. And those quests that I run into are themselves level gated; I've run into some that I couldn't take until I leveled up further.

Every mechanic tells me that level is a really big deal, and then the cutscenes tell me that my level or performance in combat doesn't matter, and this super special awesome NPC just kicked your rear end even if it directly contradicts what just happened in the gameplay. It's not a good feeling and it takes the player out of any immersion they have in the story.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That's all well and good, but there is a marked power difference between a level 50 bunnit and a level 50 giant-rear end dinosaur.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Interestingly enough, there's a base stat/xp/cp difference too, depending on what kind of mob you're facing.

So that could be one way to argue that the game differentiates between fighting, say, a dragon and a bunnit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course. The game gives me a way to evaluate how strong an enemy is. The game is telling me via its mechanics that the level 50 bunnit is stronger than early game bosses. If the game wants me to feel differently, it needs to show me that.

The cutscenes and the gameplay should be interlinked. Having them tell different stories is a failure of game design.

Take FFXIV as an example. When you fight a boss, you fight that boss synced to an appropriate level and stat cap. That's the "canon" way that you fought that boss. The bosses then are able to feel appropriately powerful to the story. Levels end up being more of a mechanical contrivance that you gain as you work your way through the main story quests.

Xenoblade has me walk into a low level area and see a monster 40 levels higher than me running around. Levels aren't just a mechanical contrivance - they show the actual power of the critters, and that power level gates my progress in a very meaningful way. I turn a corner and make a note to come back in 15 levels because the enemies I see are way out of my range. And, to be clear, I love that aspect of the game. I love running into little nooks and areas that are gated by critter levels rather than an arbitrary invisible wall. It makes me feel good to be able to sequence break a bit and gain access to things that are way ahead of the current story. And those quests that I run into are themselves level gated; I've run into some that I couldn't take until I leveled up further.

Every mechanic tells me that level is a really big deal, and then the cutscenes tell me that my level or performance in combat doesn't matter, and this super special awesome NPC just kicked your rear end even if it directly contradicts what just happened in the gameplay. It's not a good feeling and it takes the player out of any immersion they have in the story.
very unfortunate for you but luckily everyone else can ignore this horrifying contradiction

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The ludonarrative dissonance..........

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PurplieNurplie posted:

Interestingly enough, there's a base stat/xp/cp difference too, depending on what kind of mob you're facing.

So that could be one way to argue that the game differentiates between fighting, say, a dragon and a bunnit.

Sure, and again, that's the game telling us that with its mechanics. If an enemy is supposed to be fearsome, make the enemy fearsome using its stats. If you tell me something is the almighty destroyer of worlds and its giant attack hits for 5% of my character's health, I'm not exactly going to believe the game's evaluation of that thing's power.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

For real though how is it any different from your own example of FFXIV where the Ultima Weapon is seemingly much weaker (and 20 levels lower) than the average Ala Mhigan wildlife.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wheelideeli aint got poo poo on me, I'm running around with One million G, b*tch

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Here's my controversial take after turning it over in my head.

I think I liked the Chain Attack system in XC2 and it's Torna DLC more then 3's system. The orb system felt more satisfying to set up and pull off with all the characters attacking in unison during a Full Burst. I miss the announcer calling out the move names too.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

I think I liked the Chain Attack system in XC2 and it's Torna DLC more then 3's system. The orb system felt more satisfying to set up and pull off with all the characters attacking in unison during a Full Burst. I miss the announcer calling out the move names too.

Agreed. I liked the combat overall more in 2, but the build system in 3 is way better IMO.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

beat the game after 70 hours. have that same feeling like i get after finishing a good book, like im losing some new good friends. :sigh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OhFunny posted:

my favorite bit of xbc2's combat is that the announcer wasnt just a disembodied voice, its azurda's VA

which implies hes just sitting in rex's hoodie thinking up the sickest move names possible

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For real though how is it any different from your own example of FFXIV where the Ultima Weapon is seemingly much weaker (and 20 levels lower) than the average Ala Mhigan wildlife.

Because you always fight the Ultima Weapon at level 50 when you're synced. Even if you're max level, if you go back to fight the Ultima Weapon in a duty, you fight it at level 50. Even random overworld situations (FATES) are something you sync down to. It's much easier to ignore levels as a relatively arbitrary mechanical contrivance when every major story and plot beat syncs you to the expected level for the content and has the boss provide the appropriate stats for that encounter.

And this sort of thing is done in other games as well - enemies in games with levels sometimes have their level shown as a skull or some other non-numerical symbol, and have their stats scaled to yours. That makes it a nice signifier of "ah, this is a narrative fight, and the enemy should be strong compared to me." When the enemy has an absolute level and the stats are a joke, it makes a cutscene where they pose a threat disconnected entirely from the gameplay.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Because you always fight the Ultima Weapon at level 50 when you're synced. Even if you're max level, if you go back to fight the Ultima Weapon in a duty, you fight it at level 50. Even random overworld situations (FATES) are something you sync down to. It's much easier to ignore levels as a relatively arbitrary mechanical contrivance when every major story and plot beat syncs you to the expected level for the content and has the boss provide the appropriate stats for that encounter.

And this sort of thing is done in other games as well - enemies in games with levels sometimes have their level shown as a skull or some other non-numerical symbol, and have their stats scaled to yours. That makes it a nice signifier of "ah, this is a narrative fight, and the enemy should be strong compared to me." When the enemy has an absolute level and the stats are a joke, it makes a cutscene where they pose a threat disconnected entirely from the gameplay.

So according to you the best RPGs are the ones that scale to level like TES: Oblivion and FF14? okay thanks for the contribution

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I might have zoned out on the conversation, but why are we talking as if this is a Xenoblade Exclusive problem and not something that's been an issue since the dawn of RPGs. Including FF and Elder Scrolls.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

I might have zoned out on the conversation, but why are we talking as if this is a Xenoblade Exclusive problem and not something that's been an issue since the dawn of RPGs. Including FF and Elder Scrolls.

yeah i have no idea

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's kinda intended that you can overlevel if you couldn't beat a fight before. If they synced you they'd have to be really careful not to make fights too difficult for the average player.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I figured Dirk was just trolling

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lezard_valeth posted:

I think the only RPG that I've played which doesn't have that problem is Kenshi and that game is a plotless open world sandbox

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Guy Who's Only Ever Played Level-Scaled Games: Wow why did they make this game wrong, how embarrassing

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It's really weird to use FFXIV as an example when even if you were level scaled the Rythatyn fight was an absolute meme for years, a place currently held by the Atherochemical Reactor; multiple times throughout the story, after you suplexed gods and massive destruction weapons in the very first expansion, you had some mook soldiers cornering you into running away/getting deus exed by another character; the abrupt "Out of Action" debuff seen throughout Stormblood and Shadowbringers; etc.

It's a problem inherent with the genre with no real easy fix without compromising skill accesibility.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it’s just weird since they solved this problem in literally the last game they put out. You had the option to scale your level up and down as needed and now it’s locked away in the post-game. I mean I’ve just embraced chaos and will ultimately stroll up to the final boss 40 levels higher and kill whatever demigod fuckboy they throw at me before I even get to the third order of my chain attack.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I barely noticed and I played over 100 hours. This game is loving massive, if you wanted them to also program in specific boss health status ending cutscenes the game never would have released.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honestly, “cutscene shows your crew barely scraping by or eating poo poo despite you effortlessly winning the fight with a three million damage chain attack” is such an institution of the series I’m surprised people even brought it up this time around.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Heck, 3 isn't even the worst offender of it. The only real instances I can think about it is the fight at the Annihilator, M's 1st fight and N's 1st fight.

XB2's first 20 hours had you eating poo poo non stop, sometimes back to back, during cutscenes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

thankfully I never played 2

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Speaking for myself, I lack a strong basis of comparison for the series. I never played 1 or 2. All I remember from XCX's cutscenes is a) the player character always had the same animation just before a dialog choice, and b) Tatsu's annoying.

Like I totally get ludonarrative dissonance, and it's unreasonable to expect multiple cutscenes per battle that change based on the player's actions, but there are other ways of improving the experience. The narrative should consider the perspective of the player, and the gameplay should sync up with the narrative.

To be clear, I liked XC3, I fully recommend it, and I'll probably do a New Game+ run when DLC comes out. It's a hell of a game. Next time 'round, I would like fewer seams between a boss battle and the subsequent story.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I requested xbc2 from my library and they just got it in reserved for me so I'm gonna pick it up tmw and try it since it's free but I haven't heard anything good. and I hate gacha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i think they should have designed the game such that the harder you curbstomp the boss the more your characters get owned in the cutscene. if you one round ko the boss hes doing hulk hogan poses and turning directly to the camera and saying your real name and calling you a bitch in the cutscene after.

edit: also i loved xb2, the first like third of it is very rough and its a mess in terms of game-design but i like its cast and combat more than 3's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that 3 does an ok job with the win fight lose cutscene situations. They all involve some bullshit trump card being played after the fight ends so there's at least some rationalization there.

Barreft posted:

I requested xbc2 from my library and they just got it in reserved for me so I'm gonna pick it up tmw and try it since it's free but I haven't heard anything good. and I hate gacha

xenoblade 2 actually has some pretty good music.