Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

James Garfield posted:

American CNN.com is about the same, I'm on a phone and the first three screens are all about the queen. Trump is on screen five.

It just won't stay that way for more than a few days.

Incidentally the lightweight text edition of CNN is a bit nicer to browse. https://lite.cnn.com/en

Here are all the stories that appear on my mobile screen without scrolling:

quote:

Main Stories
Final days: Doctors had become concerned about her health on Thursday
Elizabeth II: The triumphs and struggles of 70 years on the throne
Analysis: What happens now that the Queen has died
Opinion: For Britain, Queen Elizabeth left nothing undone
'One of my favorite people': What Queen Elizabeth II meant to decades of American presidents
Who's who in the British royal family line of succession
Misogynistic influencers are trending right now. Defusing their message is a complex task
DOJ appeals decision to order special master to review evidence seized in Mar-a-Lago search
Federal grand jury investigating January 6 sets sights on Trump's Save America PAC
Trump SPAC breaks off shareholder meeting until October 10
Trump Org. investigation continues, NY district attorney says
Opinion: Trump's reckless handling of nuclear documents

There are 12, half of which are Queen stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is Elton John going to dust off and re-purpose "Candle in the WInd" again now?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grandma in the Wind

Every news agency has been busily prepping a barrage of The Queen Is Dead special interest stories for 20+ years, some of them are even interesting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Abortion is officially on the ballot in Michigan in November

https://twitter.com/ewallwice/status/1567986515648872448?s=46&t=zG3IZnmqZ2VTHZaTIbAD4w

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

borkencode posted:

Battery swapping for EVs is probably a non-starter. Tesla built one station that could do it, just to game some more credits from California, then quickly abandoned it. It requires way more infrastructure than just throwing some chargers up somewhere. To work as a concept at all would require a change in how car ownership works, where either the entire car, or just the battery is rented. Otherwise you've got weird issues where you swap your brand new battery in for an old one, when you visit again do you get it back? Is it sent out? How much storage space do you need for how many batteries until their owners come back at some point in the future?

More chargers everywhere is the solution. Make landlords install them, make grocery stores, restaurants, and other retailers install them. Home isn't the only place people are parking, and if someone's parking option at home is street only, they're probably occasionally visiting someplace that isn't street parking.

Yeah, battery swapping is not going to happen. While some startups like Vinfast are planning on a buy the car/lease the battery model, they're not doing it with fast swapping in mind. And it's going to require an entirely new infrastructure on top of all the new power generation infrastructure that a complete switch to electric cars will require.

All the carmakers are working hard on fast charging, lighter batteries, and more range--basically trying to make their electric cars' ownership experience as similar to internal combustion cars' as possible. So I have a feeling the ultimate solution is going to be gas stations turning into charging stations, and by the time someone who street parks in an inconvenient place is forced to purchase an electric car, they won't have to worry about streetside charging.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s not like you can get gas in most parking spaces either. We just have to make it possible to recover significant range in just a few minutes at the nearest electricity station

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah the bigger concerns for Electric are stable baseline non-carbon producting power generation.

California had to specifically tell people to not charge their EV's days after passing a gas vehicle ban.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

It’s not like you can get gas in most parking spaces either.

You can fill your tank at any parking space. It is called a gas can. Why no ev's have a battery you can just carry into your apartment to recharge is a mystery.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Tnega posted:

You can fill your tank at any parking space. It is called a gas can. Why no ev's have a battery you can just carry into your apartment to recharge is a mystery.

Just a guess, but it's probably because EV batteries weigh about 1000lbs.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Seph posted:

Just a guess, but it's probably because EV batteries weigh about 1000lbs.

Yes, so a 50 lbs removable would be roughly equivalent to a gallon of gasoline.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I could see that working- something about the size of the battery for an ICE car, with an EV charging plug sticking out. It could certainly hold enough juice to get you to the nearest real charger

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The DOJ says that they think Trump either hid files during the raid of Mar-a-lago or kept them stored outside of the club. They say that the raid only seized a fraction of the missing documents and many more are still unaccounted for.

quote:

U.S. reveals more classified records may be missing in Trump probe

WASHINGTON, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Former U.S. President Donald Trump's team may not have returned all the classified records removed from the White House at the end of his presidency even after an FBI search of his home, U.S. prosecutors warned on Thursday, calling it a potential national security risk that needs investigation.

That revelation came in a Justice Department court filing asking U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon to let it continue reviewing about 100 classified records seized by the FBI at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate while it investigates whether classified documents were illegally removed from the White House and improperly stored there.

Trump is under investigation for retaining government records, some of which were marked as highly classified, at the resort in Palm Beach, Florida, his home after leaving office in January 2021.

The 100 documents represent a fraction of themore than 11,000 records and photographs seized, most of which the government said Trump may review because they are not classified.

"This motion is limited to ... the seized classified records because those aspects of the order will cause the most immediate and serious harms to the government and the public," the department said in its court filing.

The prosecutors also asked the judge not to allow an independent arbiter, called a "special master," to review classified materials seized from Trump's property.

Trump, in a posting on his Truth Social platform, described the request as a waste of money.

The Justice Department on Thursday suggested there could be more classified records that were removed from the Trump White House that investigators have not yet located. This revelation comes about a week after the Justice Department released a detailed list of property seized from Trump's home which showed the FBI located 48 empty folders labeled as classified and another 42 which indicated they should be returned to a staff secretary or military aide.

Legal experts were perplexed as to why the folders were empty, and it was not clear whether records were missing.

"Without a stay, the government and the public will also suffer irreparable harm from the undue delay to the criminal investigation," prosecutors wrote.

"The injunction against using classified records in the criminal investigation could impede efforts to identify the existence of any additional classified records that are not being properly stored - which itself presents the potential for ongoing risk to national security," they added.

READY TO APPEAL

Prosecutors asked Cannon for a ruling by Sept. 15. If she denies their request, they intend to file an appeal to the Atlanta-based 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, where six of the 11 active judges are Trump appointees.

In an order on Thursday evening, Cannon gave Trump's lawyer's until Monday morning to respond to the government's request.

Cannon, also a Trump appointee, on Monday ordered prosecutors to pause reviewing the more than 11,000 recovered records while a special master is appointed to review the material.

The Justice Department said it will on Friday provide the court a list of possible special master candidates in a joint filing with Trump's attorneys, as Cannon has requested.

The Justice Department is also investigating possible obstruction of justice, after it uncovered evidence showing that records may have been removed or concealed from the FBI when it sent agents to Trump's home in June to try to recover all classified documents through a grand jury subpoena.

Cannon granted Trump's request for a special master, despite prosecutors' objections.

The judge said the special master will reviewdocuments not just covered by attorney-client privilege, but any records possibly covered by executive privilege as well. Executive privilege is a legal doctrine that can shield some presidential records from disclosure.

The Justice Department has challenged the logic of using executive privilege because Trump does not own the records and is no longer president. Cannon's reasoning has also been criticized by Democratic and Republican legal experts.

"No potential assertion of executive privilege could justify restricting the executive branch's review and use of the classified records at issue here," the Justice Department wrote in its Thursday filing.

In Cannon's Monday order, she allowed U.S. intelligence officials to review all of the seized materials as part of their ongoing national security damage assessment.

But the Justice Department said there is no way to wall off the criminal investigation and the national security review.

"The ongoing Intelligence Community classification review and assessment are closely interconnected with — and cannot be readily separated from—areas of inquiry of DOJ’s and the FBI’s ongoing criminal investigation," the prosecutors said.

Some legal experts on Thursday lauded the Justice Department's approach to Cannon's order, saying it carefully preserves its right to appeal broader concerns about a special master appointment, while at the same time asking Cannon for a much narrower solution for bigger concerns.

"I think the government has embarked on a shrewd tactical strategy," said David Laufman, an attorney who previously served as chief of the department's counterintelligence section.

He said the department's legal strategy takes "a scalpel" to Cannon's order by seeking immediate relief from its worst parts, while still preserving its right to appeal in the future.

"They are focusing on what is most critical and most time-sensitive, both with respect to protecting the national security interests of the United States and with conducting follow-up investigative action," he said.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-prosecutors-seek-judges-ok-continue-reviewing-trump-documents-2022-09-08/?utm_source=reddit.com

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

haveblue posted:

I could see that working- something about the size of the battery for an ICE car, with an EV charging plug sticking out. It could certainly hold enough juice to get you to the nearest real charger

They exist, but are mostly targeted for charging-as-a-service providers or AAA-style "I ran out of charge, help!" services.

These kinds of things aren't going to be useful for everyday charging needs. The answer is simple: more chargers! Stick 'em everywhere. It'll be ok. We can use stationary batteries to buffer the grid from the demand (if we need to). L2 chargers (full battery overnight) in every apartment parking spot. L3 chargers (mostly full charge in 45m-1h) at rest areas, malls, laundromats, grocery stores, whatever.

If you're curious about EV charging and want to talk to a bunch of EV owners and hear their experiences, join us in the EV thread.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tnega posted:

haveblue posted:

You gotta get the weight down. A full jerry can also weighs around 50 pounds but holds 5 gallons of gas. But you're gonna get the weight down since that's one of the big pushes in battery development, so "jerry batteries" will probably be a thing.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

haveblue posted:

https://us.ecoflow.com/products/delta-pro-portable-power-station
this kind of thing exists, not specifically targeted at ev charging but for example my leaf came with a charger that can be plugged in to the 120v outlet, so it could be plugged into something like that ecoflow. It's expensive but I'm sure there's cheaper lower capacity options that would work too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Re: Hotswapping EV batteries.

It seems like it is 100% a thing that will happen in the future, but is it currently bottle-necked by technological and engineering limitations. They're going to need to develop better and smaller batteries before it can be an actual commonly used method of charging.

Even if you can do it right now with a machine/rig, there's no way that is going to be something that the average person is going to have for reasons of both cost and logistics.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Wayne Knight posted:

L2 chargers (full battery overnight) in every apartment parking spot. L3 chargers (mostly full charge in 45m-1h) at rest areas, malls, laundromats, grocery stores, whatever.

I am not excited for the inevitability of my landlord installing L2 chargers, then upping rent 50%.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Re: Hotswapping EV batteries.

It seems like it is 100% a thing that will happen in the future, but is it currently bottle-necked by technological and engineering limitations. They're going to need to develop better and smaller batteries before it can be an actual commonly used method of charging.

Even if you can do it right now with a machine/rig, there's no way that is going to be something that the average person is going to have for reasons of both cost and logistics.

I don't think hot-swapping will ever be a thing. It's a good idea, but I think the need to develop not only smaller but also standardized batteries will stop it from being adopted. You have different manufacturers trying different technologies and layouts. You have different classes of vehicles needing different battery capacities. Getting all of that synched up to make hot-swapping batteries a viable thing seems impossible to me in any near term.

We're on our way to a world where electric cars are the norm, but they're becoming that norm because they're getting more and more like the current internal-combustion norm. So while ideas like hot-swapping batteries and inductive charging roads are really great ideas, I think we're just gonna see gas pumps replaced by charge hubs because that's easier and doesn't require changing one's relationship with their car.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PeterWeller posted:

I don't think hot-swapping will ever be a thing. It's a good idea, but I think the need to develop not only smaller but also standardized batteries will stop it from being adopted. You have different manufacturers trying different technologies and layouts. You have different classes of vehicles needing different battery capacities. Getting all of that synched up to make hot-swapping batteries a viable thing seems impossible to me in any near term.

We're on our way to a world where electric cars are the norm, but they're becoming that norm because they're getting more and more like the current internal-combustion norm. So while ideas like hot-swapping batteries and inductive charging roads are really great ideas, I think we're just gonna see gas pumps replaced by charge hubs because that's easier and doesn't require changing one's relationship with their car.

Even if they never standardized, then wouldn't brands just sell OPM swap-able batteries and other companies will make generics that fit specific models?

If the technology was available and economical, I'm sure it will be offered by some people for the convenience/safety factor. Like keeping a spare tire.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

It’s not like you can get gas in most parking spaces either. We just have to make it possible to recover significant range in just a few minutes at the nearest electricity station

Bring back drive-in movies and carhops, with chargers at every spot.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even if they never standardized, then wouldn't brands just sell OPM swap-able batteries and other companies will make generics that fit specific models?

If the technology was available and economical, I'm sure it will be offered by some people for the convenience/safety factor. Like keeping a spare tire.

Blue Rhino for batteries might be a thing in places with poor infrastructure, but I think eventually efficiency and battery life will get to a place where most people will be ok with getting a 50% charge over their lunch break a few times a week if they can't charge overnight.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Even if you improved battery technology to make them light enough and small enough for swapping to be feasible, you probably prefer to use the savings to increase range/time-between-charges instead.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

mawarannahr posted:

Incidentally the lightweight text edition of CNN is a bit nicer to browse. https://lite.cnn.com/en

Here are all the stories that appear on my mobile screen without scrolling:

There are 12, half of which are Queen stuff.

Looks like even on the day of death the Queen is only beating Trump 6 to 5. If he'd been charged or something today the news sites would have been "Queen who?"

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Just swapping the whole ev out would probably be more practical than the battery.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There are already hotswap EV battery companies right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGwmPcClWrE

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Tnega posted:

A gallon of gasoline weights about 6 lbs...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how big is a 50 pound battery?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

how big is a 50 pound battery?

Very rough guesstimate… about the size of three 12 packs.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Unormal posted:

Just swapping the whole ev out would probably be more practical than the battery.

Taking ridesharing to brave new worlds.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
As a EE who specializes in power electronics, I also don't see fast-swapping batteries to ever be a thing outside tech demos.

In the short term, I'm guessing the solution to charging speed it to develop better processes for recycling/refurbishing batteries, and jacking up the charge currents. The batteries will wear out much faster, but your dealer would give you a new one each year (a refurbished one which has already served multiple years in multiple vehicles).

SourKraut posted:

A gallon of gasoline weights about 6 lbs...

Pretty sure they were referring to energy content, not weight.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The average American male could not reliably lift 50lbs without hurting themselves

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Tnega posted:

50 lbs is a lot to carry. I can carry it, but I wouldn't like it and it better have handles. My mom and dad couldn't. A gallon of gas weighs 8 lbs.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The widespread propagation of EVs requires a stronger stronger populace. The need for expansive public gyms with free memberships/access for those in the community similar to libraries has never been greater.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just start off with EV scooters, and then when you can OHP the scooter battery for sets of 20 you can upgrade to a car licence.

If you want to drive an F150 you need to be able to deadlift 2.5xBW minimum.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shootings and guns in America are rapidly rocketing past the point of even being able to do a dark satire about them.

Two people shot in the Uvalde Memorial Park - that was renamed to that because it is right across the street from Robb Elementary School. where the Uvalde mass shooting happened. 6 people were shot. Two of them - one adult and one child - are both in critical condition at the hospital. But, they are both alive and no reported deaths. The other 4 people who were shot at had minor or no injuries.

They arrested 4 people and it is assumed that they were involved in some kind of gang activity and the people who were shot were in the crossfire/not the intended targets.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1568019761761779714

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Cool country we live in where a town I had never heard of in my old man lifetime comes up twice in less than half a year for being the site of two completely unrelated mass shooting events.

Very cool, totally normal country working just as intended.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Veryslightlymad posted:

Cool country we live in where a town I had never heard of in my old man lifetime comes up twice in less than half a year for being the site of two completely unrelated mass shooting events.

Very cool, totally normal country working just as intended.

Look, a small amount people make a large amount of money off of nothing being done about this and that money makes them matter more than the massive amounts of people who are constantly being hurt and dying via gun violence so as a society we have no choice but to not even bother trying any of the things that prevent this stuff from happening daily (or ever) in other countries.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Look, a small amount people make a large amount of money off of nothing being done about this and that money makes them matter more than the massive amounts of people who are constantly being hurt and dying via gun violence so as a society we have no choice but to not even bother trying any of the things that prevent this stuff from happening daily (or ever) in other countries.

this isn't a money thing. guns aren't powerful because they're big business - they're just not, they're far less money than other industries we've been able to squash because they were bad for society. this is a cultural thing, where a large component of the united states has made it part of their ~culture~ and, due to the right-wing domination of the supreme court and some stupidity over 200 years ago, they're exporting it everywhere.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That's an oversimplification

Those rich people have also made a lot of people get irrationally angry at anyone attempting to improve the situation :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

That's an oversimplification

Those rich people have also made a lot of people get irrationally angry at anyone attempting to improve the situation :eng101:

yeah there's a lot of money to be made in whipping up paranoia and hysteria and somehow connecting it to Low Marginal Tax Rates For The Wealthy, it's just that the actual sales of guns and ammunition are a pretty middling part of the profit

there was a time when they tried to do it with tobacco but the problem is that everyone who doesn't smoke despises people who do every time they're lighting up because the smell is always irritating you, as opposed to spasms of violence that most non-gun nuts will never experience, so that didn't take as well