Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Endorph posted:

waifus and husbandos here meaning 'characters'

Yes, in a derogatory way. When there's writing clearly just there to pander. Like all of those dumb festivals you attend with characters in the inazuma section of the game and need to just slowly walk beside them while they talk about quirky hobbies and mannerisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Endorph posted:

also banner leaks for the whole sumeru cycle, take it with a grain of salt but

Smells like someone compiling currently known information into a "reasonable guesstimate." The real banners are probably not gonna be hugely dissimilar but I'm sure this woulda had stuff like Baizhu in Xiao's spot before we know what was up with him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Yes, in a derogatory way. When there's writing clearly just there to pander. Like all of those dumb festivals you attend with characters in the inazuma section of the game and need to just slowly walk beside them while they talk about quirky hobbies and mannerisms.
the intolerable pandering of 'a fictional character having hobbies'

for real though that stuff is meant to get you to like the characters but the games main progression systems are about characters, i like that stuff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

the intolerable pandering of 'a fictional character having hobbies'

for real though that stuff is meant to get you to like the characters but the games main progression systems are about characters, i like that stuff.

Like sure there's the exploration stuff but if you don't like the games characters when the game is very much about hanging out with those characters, the hell do you get out of it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think maybe 10% of my playtime is hanging out with the characters...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

Smells like someone compiling currently known information into a "reasonable guesstimate." The real banners are probably not gonna be hugely dissimilar but I'm sure this woulda had stuff like Baizhu in Xiao's spot before we know what was up with him.

A lot of leakers dont just get data from the betas and files, they legit have sources inside the company that tell them stuff. Like right now people are posting descriptions for ANOTHER dendro sumeru character thats not on that list and that for all intents and purposes can come out before baizhu if they care about it.

Poor dude got put out on hold for so long his design is boring compared to the other guys in the pipeline.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Got about 45 wishes or so lined up to try and grab kokomi this weekend. Or I guess some random 5 star...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kale posted:

Really what is with people and having to read with this game. Is it just a super popular talking point basically.

The game's dialogue system is really bad, it displays one sentence at a time with constant unskippable delays (so you can't actually get immersed in reading the dialogue at your own pace, it's constant stop-and-go)
You notice it a lot with dialogue-based commission quests like the extreme cookery or o archon series in inazuma.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Kale posted:

Really what is with people and having to read with this game. Is it just a super popular talking point basically.

It's not the reading, it's the walking back and forth between 3-4 points for hours that I didn't like. It's the slow-following NPCs to stretch time. It's the animations that make the dialog unskippable. Waiting two days even though there's another point in the quest where they fast forward time automatically. People claim this is better than Inazuma but I don't see it at all.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sumeru at least doesn't seem as bad with the constant dialog during dailies but we'll see once more open up

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
There's one of those random overworld encounters in Sumeru where you save a dude from 3 hilichurls, and I swear it has like 10 lines of dialogue for him to say "thanks for saving me". You even need to select a response halfway through, so you can't just spam F.

If I weren't so hungry for companionship EXP on my new favorite teams, I'd have half a mind to not save him.

padijun posted:

It's not the reading, it's the walking back and forth between 3-4 points for hours that I didn't like. It's the slow-following NPCs to stretch time. It's the animations that make the dialog unskippable. Waiting two days even though there's another point in the quest where they fast forward time automatically. People claim this is better than Inazuma but I don't see it at all.

Maybe I was in the right mood because I was doing the quest while eating, and/or I had already known what to expect from posts here, but I kind of liked that most of the second act was an interactive cutscene.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 9, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Artifact farming went extraordinarily well today.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

padijun posted:

sumeru had barely any of those things it felt like

Kale
May 14, 2010

Just got Zhongli on a 50/50 and have about 12K primogems left on about a 50 or so pull spree. Good to finally have that one down on like the 4th opportunity window. Also got a c6ed Diona finally + 10 masterless starglitter from the refunds and 3 Collei's including a double drop on one 10 pull. Probably best stretch of using the gacha system I've had since getting Yae on a 50/50 in about as many pulls.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The game's dialogue system is really bad, it displays one sentence at a time with constant unskippable delays (so you can't actually get immersed in reading the dialogue at your own pace, it's constant stop-and-go)
You notice it a lot with dialogue-based commission quests like the extreme cookery or o archon series in inazuma.

That is true to an extent though yeah.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 9, 2022

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

The real endgame is running around the overworld with Yelen one-shotting everything with 30-60k hits from her E.

This but with Ganyu instead, all problems can be solved by using more arrows.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

padijun posted:

People claim this is better than Inazuma but I don't see it at all.

Inazuma was all that bullshit plus hearing the same thing repeated over and over interspersed with anecdotes that go nowhere. Like I'm not saying Inazuma writing was the only problem Genshin's dialogue has, but it layered a slog on top of a slog. The Arany Anara Arayna NotKoroks quest was stupid long thanks to endless walking around and exponential use of The Rule of Three, but the text at least generally got to the point and you spent most of your time doing stuff instead of being locked inside the slowest book.

Eimi posted:

Like sure there's the exploration stuff but if you don't like the games characters when the game is very much about hanging out with those characters, the hell do you get out of it?

I like the exploration stuff and the teambuilding/combat stuff and the puzzle stuff and generally the Zelda-ish stuff. Storyline quality (both central plot and sidequests) varies but I'd say it trends towards being entertaining. That doesn't mean that I want to pause two seconds on every line for an animation to play or make completely meaningless afk check choices or read the tragic backstory of some NPC that goes absolutely nowhere and is instantly forgotten. Slowly following an NPC for ten feet is pretty much universally hated in videogames. It's perfectly possible, in all media, to like the story but hate the way it's told.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's also possible to enjoy some elements while still regarding others as bad. The Golden Apple Archipelago's storytelling worked for me, little mentions of Klee being a doofus and being grounded in the Chasm are fine.

Hell, I even liked stuff like the fireworks gal distracting kids and giving them games to play like fending off monsters. That's fine character building. Making me go on a dates with npcs and slow walk with them while they info dump isn't fun for me, and doesn't make me like them when they're given nerdy quirks that feel triangulated to make a fanbase like them.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 9, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope they give every character nerdy quirks. i hope the hydro archon makes gunpla.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

sorry half the sumeru characters have been converted to yugioh characters now just to spite that thought process :v:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
We still have Yaoyao floating around.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
If that makes you happy I hope they do too!
I just don't wanna have to slow walk as they tell me about it, then have to run around their room clicking shinies related to their hobby for 10 minutes for the right to be able to advance the main quest or have content, character copies and primos locked behind it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should make us do that for five hours. i want the hydro archon to walk around the entirety of teyvat while she tells me about the differences between a zaku 1 and a zaku ii. i am not being sarcastic in the slightest when i say this would be peak game design.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Playable hilichurl character when

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In today's survey, please ask for the prototype aranara.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 9, 2022

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I like the game part of the game, where I push buttons and things happen. The characterization is very much tertiary to me.

Ningguang is a good example. Throw rocks, put up a wall, throw more rocks, power move is throwing the most rocks and, at C6, following it up with even more rocks. Tons of fun. Her characterization is some kind of rags to riches high class lady? She's some kind of bureaucracy queen? Sure. fine. Why is she going on this adventure with me? why is she climbing mountains to get flowers and jumping into streams to catch fish? Why is she doing all of these rough and tumble things in heels? If she's a load bearing functionary shouldn't she be fulfilling her responsibilities in a tacky golden office?

Kokomi is another example. During her quest I remember thinking 'delegate delegate delegate, good leaders cultivate competent staff.' She's setting up her entire city to collapse from her getting food poisoning or the flu. With all the terrible burden of her necessity what the hell is she doing flouncing around with me goofing off and doing these dumb event activities?

The character's I like most are the lower class screw ups. Razor is a feral man who is completely at home getting covered in adventure grime. Bennett is the perennial screw up refusing to let reality douse his optimism. Fischl is trying to live up to the beauty of her delusions. Mona REALLY needs the money. Itto is going to win that banana doll and show that carnie who's boss. All the divine royalties in this game should just ask their handlers to front them a line of credit and stop bothering me with how special their torment is.

The writing is at the same time front loaded and withheld: you're given these big dumps of text slowly doled out, sentence after sentence, over perfunctory little animations. If it was a single big paragraph I could read it and move on but someone had to storyboard the logistician's 'story about a wagon' and why we need to really soak in the dangers of moving things on a wagon and every NPC has these hidden, meaningless depths. My response to the chasm NPC's cough was hoping she'd die at the end or erupt into some kind of fun to fight goop monster. No such luck. After however many chapters of ignoring good advice her big moment was following good advice. A grand vindication for people who only needed to be told once.

It's all so trite. Let me hit things and take their stuff.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Happy Underpants posted:

I like the game part of the game, where I push buttons and things happen. The characterization is very much tertiary to me.

Ningguang is a good example. Throw rocks, put up a wall, throw more rocks, power move is throwing the most rocks and, at C6, following it up with even more rocks. Tons of fun. Her characterization is some kind of rags to riches high class lady? She's some kind of bureaucracy queen? Sure. fine. Why is she going on this adventure with me? why is she climbing mountains to get flowers and jumping into streams to catch fish? Why is she doing all of these rough and tumble things in heels? If she's a load bearing functionary shouldn't she be fulfilling her responsibilities in a tacky golden office?

Kokomi is another example. During her quest I remember thinking 'delegate delegate delegate, good leaders cultivate competent staff.' She's setting up her entire city to collapse from her getting food poisoning or the flu. With all the terrible burden of her necessity what the hell is she doing flouncing around with me goofing off and doing these dumb event activities?

The character's I like most are the lower class screw ups. Razor is a feral man who is completely at home getting covered in adventure grime. Bennett is the perennial screw up refusing to let reality douse his optimism. Fischl is trying to live up to the beauty of her delusions. Mona REALLY needs the money. Itto is going to win that banana doll and show that carnie who's boss. All the divine royalties in this game should just ask their handlers to front them a line of credit and stop bothering me with how special their torment is.

The writing is at the same time front loaded and withheld: you're given these big dumps of text slowly doled out, sentence after sentence, over perfunctory little animations. If it was a single big paragraph I could read it and move on but someone had to storyboard the logistician's 'story about a wagon' and why we need to really soak in the dangers of moving things on a wagon and every NPC has these hidden, meaningless depths. My response to the chasm NPC's cough was hoping she'd die at the end or erupt into some kind of fun to fight goop monster. No such luck. After however many chapters of ignoring good advice her big moment was following good advice. A grand vindication for people who only needed to be told once.

It's all so trite. Let me hit things and take their stuff.

The canonical story is it's just you and Paimon, and occasionally someone joins you (the "5th" party member). All the other characters you play as are not actually there for plot purposes. That's why when you talk to an NPC, the game will swap in Traveler for the cutscene.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Boat Stuck posted:

The canonical story is it's just you and Paimon, and occasionally someone joins you (the "5th" party member). All the other characters you play as are not actually there for plot purposes. That's why when you talk to an NPC, the game will swap in Traveler for the cutscene.

What kind of stupid bullshit is that? The shapeshifting thing-creature theory was more fun than that. The traveler might as well have cracked their head open on the beach we met them on and the rest of this is //just a dream//. No wonder the writing is crap.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

is it really that much of an issue that a gacha game's combat isn't a 1:1 to the story events :v:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I just assumed they kinda fudged who is in the party and it's not quite 'actually it was only Paimon and the traveler in all adventures' since the game also has plenty of references to doing stuff together or traveling with characters beyond the 20 minutes or so you spend with them as demo units. The same way silent protagonists are usually there to act as blank slates in RPGs where you fill in stuff in your head vs actually treated as mute and having 0 agency.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Mix. posted:

is it really that much of an issue that a gacha game's combat isn't a 1:1 to the story events :v:

It isn't :sweatdrop: I just need to come to terms with this game being a way to sell candy flavored smut to nerds. That just makes the writing defenders more baffling.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I will defend the writing of the Aranara to the death, love all those lil guys.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Under no circumstance is my spittle ridden dismay to be construed as not liking the little plant dudes! Their only short-coming is not being pals with the cuter stripes of fungi.

Edit: Let me put cute fungi into the teapot mihoyo. Do the right thing.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Last chance saloon for the Zhongster tonight. If I were willing to commit all my primos, I'd have a pretty good (80%+) chance of grabbing him after I lost the 50-50 earlier. But I think I have to sandbag everything in case of Raiden/Ayaka reruns in in the nearish future, because they're #1 and #3 on the list of characters I'm most looking out for.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Reading is cool, but if you just want to press buttons the game should let you with minimal fuss.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Happy Underpants posted:

The traveler has killed every playable character after administering Seluvis' potion from Elden Ring that prevents their soul from passing on, thus allowing Seluvisthe traveler to force the soul into a summonable puppet. The traveler is a mute psycho necro-sorcerer murdering their way around Teyvat. Paimon is in on it. This will all be lore. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

FractalSandwich posted:

Last chance saloon for the Zhongster tonight. If I were willing to commit all my primos, I'd have a pretty good (80%+) chance of grabbing him after I lost the 50-50 earlier. But I think I have to sandbag everything in case of Raiden/Ayaka reruns in in the nearish future, because they're #1 and #3 on the list of characters I'm most looking out for.

The Eternal Banner wasn't that long ago so Ayaya is probably a ways off. Raiden is possibly 3.3 given who the leaked new 5* for that patch is. And if we do get Venti in 3.1 it'd fit the pattern of giving everyone the archons to roll on.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Sanctum posted:

The traveler has killed every playable character after administering Seluvis' potion from Elden Ring that prevents their soul from passing on, thus allowing Seluvisthe traveler to force the soul into a summonable puppet. The traveler is a mute psycho necro-sorcerer murdering their way around Teyvat. Paimon is in on it. This will all be lore. :colbert:
This makes events like Klee's adventure on the original summer Islands really, really dark.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
don't be silly
it's just paimon using her unlimited unkown god powers to shapeshift and mimic everyone's power while fooling the traveler into thinking she's actually their friends

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
There was that Ishin event a while back in Inazuma, where some guy made combat challenges for you by just imagining them. If you talked to him about it he would tell you that it was possible to do all kinds of amazing combat techniques by imagining really hard. It seemed like a hint that the Traveler was using his fantastic mind powers to mimic various people he had met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I knew I was close to pity so I decided to throw some singles in and hope for the best and I got it off the first :toot: