Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Make every JRPG like Live A Live's prehistory chapter, with just grunts and speech bubbles that are pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvanis
Dec 10, 2005
Insert text here.
Just replace all voice acting with Camelot-style speech beeps, imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7A68kFWPB0

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

zedprime posted:

Who do I stand with if I abide grunts but think they should sound more like 'ope."

The Minnesotans I guess

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

All JRPG dialog should be that garbled animal crossing dialog.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Replace all dialogue with cringe-y racist not-aged-well dialogue from 1997's Shadow Warrior

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elderbean posted:

All JRPG dialog should be that garbled animal crossing dialog.

This would be incredible as an option in a serious, melodrama-heavy JRPG. Like the main villain revealing themselves and trashing the party to ominous choral music in a Xeno game and getting a dramatic closeup as he prepares to unleash the forces of creation going beedobeep wibwibwob merp

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Got 2 be honest i think its a little wierd to conplain about anime avs in a thread devoted to a jrpg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Got 2 be honest i think its a little wierd to conplain about anime avs in a thread devoted to a jrpg

My avatar is extremely anime

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So mask lady is a Sorceress and Sorceresses are bad. We got a cowboy to shoot her in the head. This plan can't possibly go wrong, gonna kill the big bad in Disc 1!

EDIT: I looked up how the Junction poo poo works and it's actually kinda cool. It does seem like you should stock as much magic as possible and cast as little of it as possible though

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 9, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have the best anime avatar

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My avatar is very anime considering Fury Road has a bunch of grunts from Max

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mad Max seems like the long lost stepdad of Fist of the North Star anyway tbh.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

So mask lady is a Sorceress and Sorceresses are bad. We got a cowboy to shoot her in the head. This plan can't possibly go wrong, gonna kill the big bad in Disc 1!

EDIT: I looked up how the Junction poo poo works and it's actually kinda cool. It does seem like you should stock as much magic as possible and cast as little of it as possible though

That is one of the many flaws in the gameplay, yes. In the endgame, Ultima will kick rear end at raising your stats but you want to use Ultima to just plain kick rear end.

And so the game encourages you to just mash X after putting all your cool magic on Str-J.

Now, FFVIII is nowhere near hard enough to care about the Str boost from Ultima going from 100 to 95 or 90 as you use the spell, but it's still going to discourage people from ever using magic because you're depleting a finite resource. And you never, ever deplete resources in a JRPG. 100 Ultimas and 100 Elixirs is how you finish the game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FrostyPox posted:

Junctioning is an interesting system but it and the draw system are horrible if you have “get 99 of this as soon as possible” brainworms like I do. Leads to really bad gameplay. You need to be willing to only draw once or twice a fight to have a good time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah try not to get caught up using Draw too much in fights. It can be useful, but it's way too time-consuming to be your main way of getting spells. That should be through refining with the various "Rf" abilities GFs can learn.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Junctioning is an interesting system but it and the draw system are horrible if you have “get 99 of this as soon as possible” brainworms like I do. Leads to really bad gameplay. You need to be willing to only draw once or twice a fight to have a good time

Fortunately I am not trying to min-max in any of my first time playthroughs. I might like the Draw and Junction system better if it worked in a way like "You have 20 Fire. You junction 10 of them to strength. 10 are removed from your inventory and Strength is permanently boosted. You still have 10 that you can Junction or Cast"

Random pulled out of my rear end idea. I actually think that'd be better than Junction power being based on a fluctuating inventory.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Draw also relies on the magic stat, so you will spend forever drawing 2 magic until that stat hits halfway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

Fortunately I am not trying to min-max in any of my first time playthroughs. I might like the Draw and Junction system better if it worked in a way like "You have 20 Fire. You junction 10 of them to strength. 10 are removed from your inventory and Strength is permanently boosted. You still have 10 that you can Junction or Cast"

Random pulled out of my rear end idea. I actually think that'd be better than Junction power being based on a fluctuating inventory.

Junctions are interesting because they're sort of the equivalent to equipment in FFVIII. Turning them into permanent boosts wouldn't really work IMO, though having separate pools of "junctioned" and castable spells might've been nice.

I like the flavor that using magic can weaken you--they're drawing power from stores of magic, so draining that magic would reasonably make them weaker--but in practice it just means you're hesitant to cast spells.

Thankfully there are a lot of other things you can do in battle when you unlock more abilities on GFs, and there are still some spells worth casting, too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
junctioning isn't a flaw it's a strength

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehOwIgecBk

I'm very excited for my good friend Jack and my good friend Greg to become good friends with each other.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Draws like steal but for magic so you should use it on everything.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gilgamesh doesn’t sound like bender at all wtf

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Done for the night but this is kind of suspenseful.

Quistis you dummy, now Riona's gotta do your job for you I guess. Sorceress bossfight imminent.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If Gilgamesh wasn't optional content in most games I'd be keeping track of all the Gilgameshes, too

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

FrostyPox posted:

Quistis you dummy, now Riona's gotta do your job for you I guess. Sorceress bossfight imminent.

Do you play on ff14 with the same name? Saw it earlier while running four gods trials and I just realized why it seemed familiar

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

My dyslexic rear end thought this was her name for over a decade until I realized it was Rinoa. It still sounds wrong to me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
There are many things they could've done to improve the magic system in VIII. For example, anything you've drawn from an enemy can be purchased from a common store in whatever quantity you want. The more powerful the spell, the more expensive it is. That way A) you wouldn't have to sit there drawing forever because you can just go buy more instead, B) you won't feel that bad casting spells because you can just restock them the next time you reach a store, C) it gives you something to do with your money besides buying Tents.

Really rare and powerful spells potentially can't be drawn from enemies at all, and can only be acquired through rare draw points or refining rare items, keeping them rare.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Really rare and powerful spells potentially can't be drawn from enemies at all, and can only be acquired through rare draw points or refining rare items, keeping them rare.

Pretty sure this is how Ultima works. There's the Shumi Draw point, refining cards and stones, and then it's only Drawable from Ultima Weapon, right?

Of course Flare and Meteor are readily Drawn from non-unique enemies so I see your point. You can get Flares from Tri-Faces in Balamb Garden's bomb shelter area in early Disk 2. I remember being so happy when I stumbled upon this.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrostyPox posted:

Seifer wasn't entirely wrong when he said he was worried Squall's team was going to gently caress up with their mission. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1567576126532497408

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HD DAD posted:

My dyslexic rear end thought this was her name for over a decade until I realized it was Rinoa. It still sounds wrong to me.
Rhymes with quinoa.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They made the right choice Estinien is hotter than both of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rhymes with quinoa.

I know as a fact this is wrong, I asked in this very thread for a fact-check on it, but I'll never stop pronouncing it like that.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Party Boat posted:

Rinoa? I barely remember her!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

are they getting the ff14 voice actor for greg

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

are they getting the ff14 voice actor for greg

I'm betting it's actually XIV Greg.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rhymes with quinoa.

I thought quinoa was in ff9

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

Do you play on ff14 with the same name? Saw it earlier while running four gods trials and I just realized why it seemed familiar

Yep, that was me, got Wreath of Snakes for my last TDR

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Electric Phantasm posted:

They made the right choice Estinien is hotter than both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DanielCross posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehOwIgecBk

I'm very excited for my good friend Jack and my good friend Greg to become good friends with each other.

https://twitter.com/rpgsite/status/1568032615474806786

Blue mage! :stoked:

quote:

Wanderer of the Rift, the second expansion for Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin arrives October 26th available only with the season pass!

Fight your way through the Labyrinth of Dimensions, a dungeon that randomly configures your path to unlock pieces of the story. Wanderer of the Rift will introduce a new job, Blue Mage and special monsters you can fight and summon into battle with the use of a Summoning Stone.

In addition to new equipment that unlocks new abilities, a new class of enemies called “Chaotic Monsters” will be added to give the player a more diverse and challenging experience.